Remember remember the 5th of November

cook68

We set sail on the QV on the 4th of November. Does anyone know if Cunard celebrate bonfire night in any way? I am also hoping to not to see any signs of Christmas on board yet or will they have a tree up already 😕 I love Christmas but I love it in December. 

2 hours ago, cook68 said:

We set sail on the QV on the 4th of November. Does anyone know if Cunard celebrate bonfire night in any way? I am also hoping to not to see any signs of Christmas on board yet or will they have a tree up already 😕 I love Christmas but I love it in December. 

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

No Guy Fawkes night I'm afraid. Not even a sparkler!

The Christmas decorations will appear overnight early December.

What????  

They forgot Gunpowder Treason???

5 hours ago, cook68 said:

Celebrate Bonfire night , onboard a ship .    Seriously , are you serious 🤔 

5 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Celebrate Bonfire night , onboard a ship .    Seriously , are you serious 🤔 

Seriously yes I am serious! There are foods/drinks  and all sorts of ways to celebrate you don't have the set the ship alight! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cook68 said:

Seriously yes I am serious! There are foods/drinks  and all sorts of ways to celebrate you don't have the set the ship alight! 

There were also fireworks displays around Southampton and I think it Portsmouth which could be seen from deck, as well as some bonfires.  That is as close to celebrating with fire I would like to see on board ship.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cook68 said:

Perhaps you could list the distinctively Nov 5th food/drink items and celebrations which don't involve fireworks and/or burning effigies, and which would be recognisable by anyone from the UK.

We've been on board QM2 several times on November 5th, each time at sea heading from New York to Southampton. Nothing in the daily programmes mentioned any activities or celebrations related to bonfire night. We have had some pleasant dinner conversations with table mates from the UK discussing what they might be doing that evening if they were home and reminiscing how when they were children they made effigies and went around the neighborhood asking for a "penny for the guy". That's about all I have to report related to bonfire night on a Cunard ship.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, kentchris said:

Perhaps you could list the distinctively Nov 5th food/drink items and celebrations which don't involve fireworks and/or burning effigies, and which would be recognisable by anyone from the UK.

Oh are we being tested. Note my original post asked celebrations in any way and not can we have a big fire on the main deck! 🤣
Toffee apples

s'mores

parkin cake

pumpkin spiced lattee

spiced ciders/mulled wines

iris coffee

hotdogs

bangers and mash

jacket potatoes

I am sure some of this could be jazzed up, a la carte or just served in the Lido. Just for fun 😄

Edited by cook68
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, siforest65 said:

We too are on this cruise. I think it was a fair question. It hadn’t crossed my mind tbh as we don’t tend to bother with bonfire night.

Looking at the replies, it will just be a normal day at sea.

I am starting to wish I hadn't asked. I just wondered if it was celebrated in anyway as Halloween seems to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on a crossing on November 5 a few years ago, having embarked the day before. The only celebration that I recall was the PG dining staff brought a small cake out for my birthday, which is November 4 (they were obviously too busy with getting underway to deal with it the first night). Neither my wife nor I had mentioned it being my birthday, so someone must have been paying attention to the data in our booking, or possibly World Club records but more likely the booking details.

I thought it was a nice gesture. Lord knows, one definitely needs more dessert on QM2.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Several years ago we had the pleasure of sailing from Southampton on 5 November. There were bonfires along the Solent as we passed. It was very interesting to see. 

Our first cruise was November 5 2007. Fireworks and bonfires the length of the Solent. Mesmerising. Best sail-away ever. 🛳

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 12:16 AM, cook68 said:

Oh are we being tested. Note my original post asked celebrations in any way and not can we have a big fire on the main deck! 🤣
Toffee apples

s'mores

parkin cake

pumpkin spiced lattee

spiced ciders/mulled wines

iris coffee

hotdogs

bangers and mash

jacket potatoes

I am sure some of this could be jazzed up, a la carte or just served in the Lido. Just for fun 😄

You missed treacle toffee which is clearly the most important one 🙂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonfire_toffee

• Like 1