Itinerary Local , Cuisine

koalapanda

We stumbled into a discussion with a buyer aboard Odyssey a few years ago and learned a lot. We actually observed the purchase of fresh, local fish from a fisherman at a port in southern New Zealand, with the buyer presiding over the transaction along with a couple of chefs from the ship. The buyer said they do buy local foods when they believe they get high quality for a reasonable price. Fish was one such example, he said. Incredibly, however, the lamb on the ship was from Colorado. It was good, but couldn't Odyssey buy great lamb in New Zealand? Of course they could. The buyer said they don't do that. I also asked about beef in New Zealand, which is different from American beef. Again, the buyer said the ship's beef comes only from the USA. It was very good. But I'm sure some people on the cruise would enjoy New Zealand or Australian beef. I sure enjoyed it while on land before the cruise. It's not easy operating a major cruise ship, and buying food locally isn't the simplest thing to do. But I think cruise ships could use more imagination and provide an extra avenue of enjoyment for at least some of their passengers by buying local food. I have noticed such purchases on the ships of other cruise lines. LittleRedJohn 

We have shopped with the Chef on almost every cruise we have taken in Europe and in the Middle East. On every instance substantial quantaties of frsh produce were purchased and $$$'s of dollars spent each time . Anything from a whole Serrano ham a 50kg Tuna, and copious amounts of other seafood plus fruit, nuts and Cheeses. Folks who love food and like to sample regional delicacies for us this is an exciting adventure. You widen your knowledge and your palate culturally , a plus plus. 

As far as menus are concerned it is our understanding that they are compiled and tested at Seabourns' head office and the Executive chef has a small stroke of his culinary prowess aded. This is why the bulk of provisions are flown in. Much of food is ordered well in advance and topped up if required. 

We applaud Seabourn for it's choice of providers world wide as the quality of provisions is second to none.

The fruits of the Orient have always been available papya, dragons eyes and dragon fruit and rhumbtan have been enjoyed while cruising the Med'.

The spa meals you describe sound similar to that which you can order in the Colonnade from the lunch menu. Lots of delicious simple fresh fish dishes and salad , which are my every second day lunch choices.

We could go on forever talking food it is our favourite topic. 

Edited by koalapanda

13 hours ago, koalapanda said:

The spa meals you describe sound similar to that which you can order in the Colonnade from the lunch menu. Lots of delicious simple fresh fish dishes and salad , which are my every second day lunch choices.

We could go on forever talking food it is our favourite topic. 

Do you mean the menu for table ordering in the colonnade or the buffet offerings?   I thought the only thing you can order fish wise is salmon? The rest is burger, hot dog etc 

9 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Do you mean the menu for table ordering in the colonnade or the buffet offerings?   I thought the only thing you can order fish wise is salmon? The rest is burger, hot dog etc 

There was almost always a grilled fish choice in the colonnade and patio for lunch. it varied day to day, was often (surprise surprise) something on the evening before's restaurant menu.  Sometimes something fresh if bought locally and grilled or sauteed on the patio.   Spa menu concept sounds like something we saw on Cunard on the Queen Mary. Canyon Ranch? Anyway, i vaguely recall it was an option on the regular menus.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:41 AM, islandchick said:

This is very sad. I really love different cuisines and especially having local cuisines from where we are cruising. I feel that most cruise lines really miss the mark in this regard. If I could find a affordable luxury liner that highlighted local cuisine and cooked it properly I think that it would become my go to for cruising. So far the only good ethnic cuisine I have experienced on any cruise ship is Indian food when we had it made for us specifically. Sushi is also ok, but I have never had any that compare to land based sushi restaurants. 

I don’t follow your logic, sorry. If everything on the ship was “properly cooked local cuisine“ than why bother getting off the ship? If you want a local experience, have lunch and/or dinner on shore as we do (and support the local people and economies who need it). 

Edited by florisdekort

To the original question:  We sailed on the Sojourn through a number of ports in Asia and there was no effort to provide any dishes on board that had anything to do with the ports visited.  Moreover, when Asian nights were featured in the Collonade dinners, the cuisine was woefully inauthentic and sometimes inedible.  We were told the recipes were designed and controlled at HQ in Seattle.  This is a sadly weak area for Seabourn.  So as others have suggested, if you crave authentic Asian food on your cruise, eat in port and have a great time!  And then come back on board for a cocktail and a steak.  Or maybe 2 cocktails.

3 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

I think you are right galeforce.  Grilled salmon and steamed vegetables can be ordered and of course there are always salad bar items that are very healthy.  By Spa Menu, I'm talking about intentionally offered entrees and vegetables offered in the evening in the MDR.  It CAN be done as I enjoyed this on Silversea many years ago.  It was NOT the same thing every night.  Lots of variation and imagination.  It was fabulous. 

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

I don’t follow your logic, sorry. If everything on the ship was “properly cooked local cuisine“ than why bother getting off the ship? If you want a local experience, have lunch and/or dinner on shore as we do (and support the local people and economies who need it). 

Quite often you can't get off the ship for dinner. 

33 minutes ago, islandchick said:

Quite often you can't get off the ship for dinner. 

Yes--because you are on a cruise.  Perhaps a land trip would better meet your yearnings for local cuisine.  Not trying to be snarky, but just pointing out that land trips and cruises are two very different experiences.  Both have pros and cons.  

Hello fellow foodies,

Just a question slightly off topic, could anyone suggest where I could find out when or if there will be a “shopping with the chef” on our Singapore to Hong Kong cruise.

I can find cooking classes in the shore excursions, but we would like to experience “shopping with the chef” if they still do this.

You won’t know if there will be one or where it will take place until you are on board. The usual protocol is for it to be announced in the Herald (the daily paper) two days in advance. Once you see it announced sign up quick as they limit the number and it usually fills up quickly. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, islandchick said:

I am not sure what all the pushback is on this forum, very strange. Just fyi, I have traveled the world and have done many cruises. Local cuisine is something I would appreciate. 

No pushback, just a discussion about expectations about local cuisine on Seabourn ships.  I think it has been a good discussion. 

3 hours ago, islandchick said:

I am not sure what all the pushback is on this forum, very strange. Just fyi, I have traveled the world and have done many cruises. Local cuisine is something I would appreciate. 

Islandchick thanks for your input. There have been more posts that would like some occasional variety than not. Some people hate change but without change nothing  improves . Whilst Seabourn is my favourite Cruise line , almost perfect ,little changes obviously would please many of us. We are not looking for a full menu.

Galeforce the Colonnade at lunchtime have lovely fish dishes from the daily menu on your table. A daily fish dish cooked in various ways not just grilled. Delicious.

Some seem to have missed the point of this "discussion" as it started. It was never a complaint or being disgruntled. More a query,  have you experienced authentic local food onboard in Asian waters ? Do you think it would be nice to experience such a culinary treat? 

Thank you to "those" who answered my questions.

Edited by koalapanda

Fresh fish?  

My idea of local cuisine on board a ship is being docked in Bergen and having the chef go to market and bring back enough king crab legs to feed the entire ship while drinking beer on deck with the sun shining.   

30 minutes ago, saminina said:

Fresh fish?  

My idea of local cuisine on board a ship is being docked in Bergen and having the chef go to market and bring back enough king crab legs to feed the entire ship while drinking beer on deck with the sun shining.   

This made me laugh as we did a wonderful shopping with the chef in Bergen in June — and it rained cats and dogs all day. 

16 hours ago, SLSD said:

Yes--because you are on a cruise.  Perhaps a land trip would better meet your yearnings for local cuisine.  Not trying to be snarky, but just pointing out that land trips and cruises are two very different experiences.  Both have pros and cons.  

Have you ever heard of lunch?

There is a big difference between the chef purchasing local ingredients while in port and what you can  get from a local restaurant who really knows what to do with those ingredients.

21 hours ago, 2aussiegolfers said:

Hello fellow foodies,

Just a question slightly off topic, could anyone suggest where I could find out when or if there will be a “shopping with the chef” on our Singapore to Hong Kong cruise.

I can find cooking classes in the shore excursions, but we would like to experience “shopping with the chef” if they still do this.

Shopping with the Chef does not always appear in the Herald.  You need to ask at Seabourn Sq. when you board and insist that you want to be included.  Even then, you might get a blank stare.  We have never been successful in getting included in a Shopping with Chef experience.  Maybe next time?  Or maybe I should give up?

• Thanks 1

Hello fellow foodies,

We've done that cruise twice, no Shopping with the Chef on either cruise.

• Thanks 1

On our last Singapore -> Shanghai via HK cruise there was "Shopping with the Chef" in Ho Chi Minh. However it was dreadful and, unless we're fortunate enough to sail with chef Jes again, we probably won't be so quick to sign up next time. 

If you like cooking classes, we did one with 'Saigon Cooking Class by Hoa Tuc' in Ho Chi Minh which was really excellent and about a 3-4 minute walk from where the bus dropped off. You can combine that with a market visit which went to the same market we'd shopped with the chef the day before but I think would have been more informative and better-organised. 

10 hours ago, tv24 said:

Shopping with the Chef does not always appear in the Herald.  You need to ask at Seabourn Sq. when you board and insist that you want to be included.  Even then, you might get a blank stare.  We have never been successful in getting included in a Shopping with Chef experience.  Maybe next time?  Or maybe I should give up?

Ditto.

We've never managed to do Shopping with the Chef either.  Yet some talk of doing it nearly every cruise!  

• Thanks 1

Currently on Ovation with Chef Jes and the food especially the fish is wonderful.

I would love to see TK  turned into a high end Asian Restaurant - I know it’s not going to happen but food trends change and there is a reason food from the 50’s/60’s is no longer popular with most people. I think people enjoy the light, fresh Asian cuisine these days but  you can’t please everyone.