THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

1 hour ago, suprmom28 said:

WOW!!! So many things and people to take care of, in such a small amount of time. Thank you for the information, I now understand why they want you out. We will definitely be out early! I do not want to be one of those people.

On a side note, with the complimentary bottles of alcohol...if we do not finish these, are we allowed to pack them and bring them home?

Regarding the complimentary bottles of booze for the DOS - there is no such thing as unfinished booze wine etc. !

By all means take it with you especially the unopened ones or if only a wee bit is left toast your great time.

If you do decide to take a partial opened bottle make sure to double wrap it in dirty laundry for protective packing

and secure the cap lid cork - do this also with the unopened bottles and then bury this in the center of your luggage.

If flying this can not be in carry on baggage !

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Regarding the complimentary bottles of booze for the DOS - there is no such thing as unfinished booze wine etc. !

By all means take it with you especially the unopened ones or if only a wee bit is left toast your great time.

If you do decide to take a partial opened bottle make sure to double wrap it in dirty laundry for protective packing

and secure the cap lid cork - do this also with the unopened bottles and then bury this in the center of your luggage.

If flying this can not be in carry on baggage !

Once again, thanks for the bottle of booze you left Joe and I for the second leg of our Sun cruise. (Has that been 2 years ago already)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am the original poster.  I would like to clarify some items as it relates to wine with the "Premium PLUS Drink Package". 

My favorite part was actual bottles of wine at meals.  My wife likes to have wine in the room and this allowed the package to take care of that vs. spending even more money on wine in room-service.  We got a bottle of really good wine at every meal.  We always had at least 1/2 a bottle left.  That bottle we brought back to the room and put on ice for late night drinking on the veranda. 

Buying a bottle of alcohol like Vodka. This package provides a 40% discount on wine purchases, NOT alcohol.  The bottles range in price from $90.00 up with a 20% service charge.  They come with setups.  On my upcoming cruise.  My three adult kids will be joining use in our two-bedroom, Haven family Villa.  They do not have the Adult Beverage package.  In this case, I have elected to purchase a bottle of Rum with Setups for the room.  Neither my wife or I drink rum.  This gives my kids a way to have their drinks and not have to go to pay for them at a bar. 

Drinks at a bars.  You can get two drinks at a time.  I am quite sure if my daughter wants a Lemon Drop Martini, I could order my drink and the Lemon Drop then bring it to our table.  She might drink two the entire trip.  

Taking wine or alcohol that has been opened off the ship.  Why, party.  Enjoy them with friends.  But if you have to, bring a tight wine cork from home.  The xray your bags going on, not off.  

I hope I helped clarify my original post.  Happy cruising. 

11 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I am the original poster.  I would like to clarify some items as it relates to wine with the "Premium PLUS Drink Package". 

My favorite part was actual bottles of wine at meals.  My wife likes to have wine in the room and this allowed the package to take care of that vs. spending even more money on wine in room-service.  We got a bottle of really good wine at every meal.  We always had at least 1/2 a bottle left.  That bottle we brought back to the room and put on ice for late night drinking on the veranda. 

Buying a bottle of alcohol like Vodka. This package provides a 40% discount on wine purchases, NOT alcohol.  The bottles range in price from $90.00 up with a 20% service charge.  They come with setups.  On my upcoming cruise.  My three adult kids will be joining use in our two-bedroom, Haven family Villa.  They do not have the Adult Beverage package.  In this case, I have elected to purchase a bottle of Rum with Setups for the room.  Neither my wife or I drink rum.  This gives my kids a way to have their drinks and not have to go to pay for them at a bar. 

Drinks at a bars.  You can get two drinks at a time.  I am quite sure if my daughter wants a Lemon Drop Martini, I could order my drink and the Lemon Drop then bring it to our table.  She might drink two the entire trip.  

Taking wine or alcohol that has been opened off the ship.  Why, party.  Enjoy them with friends.  But if you have to, bring a tight wine cork from home.  The xray your bags going on, not off.  

I hope I helped clarify my original post.  Happy cruising. 

Im sure you know but now everyone in the cabin gets the “free” perk of the alcohol package. I have five in an H4 on Encore, which includes adult kids, and for the cost of the gratuities, I was able to add three more people, total of five, for the alcohol package. I did not have to pay full price of package just the gratuities for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, js said:

Im sure you know but now everyone in the cabin gets the “free” perk of the alcohol package. I have five in an H4 on Encore, which includes adult kids, and for the cost of the gratuities, I was able to add three more people, total of five, for the alcohol package. I did not have to pay full price of package just the gratuities for them. 

Omg, I did NOT know that.  I just sent an email to my travel agent.  What is so funny about this is I bought them all soda packages.  Now I can delete that and the bottle of Rum I was going to get for the room.  My only concern is I have already paid in full.  I called NCL, they could not tell me anything because on this cruise I used a travel agent. My fingers are crossed. You literally made my month.  Thank you.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Omg, I did NOT know that.  I just sent an email to my travel agent.  What is so funny about this is I bought them all soda packages.  Now I can delete that and the bottle of Rum I was going to get for the room.  My only concern is I have already paid in full.  I called NCL, they could not tell me anything because on this cruise I used a travel agent. My fingers are crossed. You literally made my month.  Thank you.

Good luck. My cruise is not until August so I was able to rebook and add. This change happened about two months ago. Please let us know how you make out. I remember back when these perks started, all specialty dining and alcohol was free without any paid gratuities for Haven guests. We always had 5-6 in an H4 using these perks. 

I hope it works that you are paid in full. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, js said:

Did you have to rebook your cruise at the current rate at the time?

12 hours ago, js said:

so how can they do this. the 20 bucks a day tax is not enough. are the cruise prices that over inflated?

16 hours ago, js said:

Good luck. My cruise is not until August so I was able to rebook and add. This change happened about two months ago. Please let us know how you make out. I remember back when these perks started, all specialty dining and alcohol was free without any paid gratuities for Haven guests. We always had 5-6 in an H4 using these perks. 

I hope it works that you are paid in full. 

I wanted to let you know what happened here. You were correct, if you rebook the suite provides the Premium Drink Package for all members in your cabin.  In my case, I have five.  Two that have an occasional cocktail and one that really does not drink. The cost to me to rebook was $850.00 plus I would lose the $100.00 per cabin onboard credit.  That was a total cost of $950.00 I elected to pass.  All that being said, I don't feel bad about it at all.  Your information will really help me with my future bookings with NCL.  I can't thank you enough.  Be well.

5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

so how can they do this. the 20 bucks a day tax is not enough. are the cruise prices that over inflated?

I will do my very best to answer this question the best I can.  No, the prices are not that inflated in my opinion.  The Drink Package price is very high on an NCL cruise compared to other cruises.  An example is I have the equivelent of the NCL Premium PLUS Drink Package on an upcoming Oceania Cruise in Europe for 10 days.  That price was $599.00.  The other cruise like have drink packages that are far less expensive and include tips.  Please understand, I am NOT complaining here.  You just have the look at then entire booking and perks given. 

What happened here for me was I booked my NCL Encore Haven (H4) suite some time ago. I got a lower rated with slightly different perks when I booked it. Example: Less money for the cruise and $100.00 OBC.  So the extra based on how my adult children drink was not worth the bargain price increase of $950.00.  If they were real drinkers at all, I would have gladly paid the price to get the package for all three.  

Let me end this with a statement of FACT.  I upgraded my wife and my drink package to the Premium PLUS Drink Package.  I do this when ever I cruise on NCL and I get the Premium Drink Package as a perk.  I intent to make NCL lose money on this upcoming cruise (LOL).  My idea of a good time is to "Live Like A Rock Star At Age 62" when I go on vacation.  The captain of the Encore will be my designated driver.  Cruise well. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I wanted to let you know what happened here. You were correct, if you rebook the suite provides the Premium Drink Package for all members in your cabin.  In my case, I have five.  Two that have an occasional cocktail and one that really does not drink. The cost to me to rebook was $850.00 plus I would lose the $100.00 per cabin onboard credit.  That was a total cost of $950.00 I elected to pass.  All that being said, I don't feel bad about it at all.  Your information will really help me with my future bookings with NCL.  I can't thank you enough.  Be well.

awww, sorry it didn't work out this cruise but it gives you incentive to hurry and book another so you can all benefit from the package LOL 

Happy sailings!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 2:23 PM, js said:

awww, sorry it didn't work out this cruise but it gives you incentive to hurry and book another so you can all benefit from the package LOL 

Happy sailings!

I am doing a test with the NCL Haven Customer Service department.  I am sharing this on this post and with your last post because I think you will find it interesting. It is 80 days until our NCL Encore Cruise.  You informed me that the new PERKS include the Premium Beverage Package for all members of your Haven suite that are 21 years of age or older.  Because it is a PERK, we have to pay the tips which is normal for NCL.  My Travel Agent contacted them and as my last post update stated, it would have cost me an additional $950.00.  On to the test.

The Haven (H4 soon to be H5) 2-Bedroom Haven Family Villa with Large Balcony price has dropped.  I fully understand that since I paid the balance in full, I can not get the benefit of that price drop.  However, now the booking still has the new "Premium Beverage Package" for all with the lower price.  As is normal, travel agents say they state your case however no one can state your case better then we can.

I have resent my request for "Premium Beverage Package Perk" for all  to the online Haven Concierge.  Normally they respond in a day or two. Nothing.  I sent it again, nothing.  So I took the time to write a letter to the three key NCL executives and sent it Certified mail.  In the letter, I very clearly explain that they have no obligation to provide the PERK, NONE.  Yet I still shared our case. All I really want is a response.  That is why it is a test.  

I will report back to CruiseCritic.com and this post the results when and if there should be one.  Cruise well. 

Please forgive my confusion, but I'm unclear.  We are booked in two haven suites on the Encore on May 31.  Are you saying that the premium beverage package is now being offered as one of the perks for new bookings in the haven?

Thanks for clarifying!!!

25 minutes ago, Newfun4me said:

Please forgive my confusion, but I'm unclear.  We are booked in two haven suites on the Encore on May 31.  Are you saying that the premium beverage package is now being offered as one of the perks for new bookings in the haven?

Thanks for clarifying!!!

The current promotion states that if the PBP is selected, all stateroom guests 21 and older get it and pay the 20% gratuity/service charge.

If someone booked under the old promo, it would only be for guests 1&2. If cancel/rebook works out better, some will do that. People with the old promo who are after final payment date are probably SOL.

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The current promotion states that if the PBP is selected, all stateroom guests 21 and older get it and pay the 20% gratuity/service charge.

If someone booked under the old promo, it would only be for guests 1&2. If cancel/rebook works out better, some will do that. People with the old promo who are after final payment date are probably SOL.

Ahh, understood.  Thank you for the clarification!

6 hours ago, Newfun4me said:

Thanks for clarifying!!!

The Premium Beverage program usually is always given to Haven Suites for the first two cruisers.  All you have to do is pay the tips.  My situation was different. I had a Haven 2-Bedroom suite with five people.  Recently the perk went from only the first two got the Premium Beverage Package, to all those in the cabin over 21 got it.  You would still have to pay for there tips.  

I booked months ago and that specific perk was not in effect.  I hope I clarified your question. If not, please ask again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Yes, but the old rate for the room was less then the new rate.  The old rate also gave a $100.00 per cabin OBC.  I key is if your 3-6 extra passenger was over 21.  If they were kids under 21, keep the old deal.  In my case mine were over 21.  However the rebooking would have cost close to $1000.00 more.  I choose to keep the old booking and buy a bottle for my kids from room service.  

12 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The Premium Beverage program usually is always given to Haven Suites for the first two cruisers.  All you have to do is pay the tips.  My situation was different. I had a Haven 2-Bedroom suite with five people.  Recently the perk went from only the first two got the Premium Beverage Package, to all those in the cabin over 21 got it.  You would still have to pay for there tips.  

I booked months ago and that specific perk was not in effect.  I hope I clarified your question. If not, please ask again.

You did.  I was confused - thinking you were talking about the Premium "Plus" Beverage program.  My mistake!  And by the way, it looks like you are going to be sailing just a few weeks before us.  We have a 2-bedroom and a penthouse courtyard suite booked in the Haven on the Encore's May 31 sailing to Bermuda.  I'm looking forward to hearing what you think!

Edited by Newfun4me

1 minute ago, Newfun4me said:

You did.  I was confused - thinking you were talking about the Premium "Plus" Beverage program.  My mistake!

On that topic of the "Premium PLUS Beverage Program".  I always upgrade my PERK to that program.  The biggest benefit to my wife and I is the Bottle of Selected wine at meal times.  My wife brings it back to the room if she does not finish it.  We always have wine to drink in the room without the expense of room service wine.  I also drink lots of water & non-suger energy drinks.  Those are included on the PLUS also. Finally, I go out of my way to find the best Drinks to try all week.  Since there is no $ drink limit, with very few exceptions, I life like a rock star for 7 days.  Then I go to rehab when I get home, LOL.  Cruise well.

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

On that topic of the "Premium PLUS Beverage Program".  I always upgrade my PERK to that program.  The biggest benefit to my wife and I is the Bottle of Selected wine at meal times.  My wife brings it back to the room if she does not finish it.  We always have wine to drink in the room without the expense of room service wine.  I also drink lots of water & non-suger energy drinks.  Those are included on the PLUS also. Finally, I go out of my way to find the best Drinks to try all week.  Since there is no $ drink limit, with very few exceptions, I life like a rock star for 7 days.  Then I go to rehab when I get home, LOL.  Cruise well.

I am REALLY tempted.  I just need to wrap my head around another $1,000 for the four of us... But I sure do like nice bubbly.  🙂   So - curious...  since you have 3 other adults staying with you in your 2-bedroom, do you have to purchase the premium plus for all of you????  If not, say you are all at dinner together and you or your wife orders a bottle of wine or champagne, can you share a glass with one of them?  My son and his girlfriend are going with us and neither of them are big wine drinkers - mostly beer and mixed drinks.  I'm thinking I might just upgrade myself and my husband, but I don't want any embarrassment if one of them wants a glass of what we ordered while we are at dinner.   Thank you for your help!!!

Edited by Newfun4me

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I just wish they would allow me to upgrade and not make my husband upgrade too.  He is not a wine drinker and is happy with Bulliet bourbon.  I am a BIG bourbon fan and not crazy about Bulliet.  My only saving grace is that those Haven bartenders can work magic with it. I am not knowledgeable about wine but would love to be able to try a few.   I keep hearing about that Veuve Clicquot which I know nothing about but I am intriqued by the chatter about it.

I try not to bellyache about it since I know there are many out there that have the situation where one person drinks alcohol and the other does not.  That is even worse for them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the tips guys, thinking about booking the haven on the Getaway next year.  

What category is your favorite and why? Right now it's between a forward facing penthouse or a courtyard penthouse.  The courtyard penthouse is 200.00 more total.  I have never sailed the haven, so this will be a special treat for me and my husband.  We don't really use elevators when we cruise (Always take the stairs to help burn some calories), so how essential is it to have a smaller courtyard room for courtyard proximity vs a larger forward facing penthouse?

38 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Thanks for all the tips guys, thinking about booking the haven on the Getaway next year.  

What category is your favorite and why? Right now it's between a forward facing penthouse or a courtyard penthouse.  The courtyard penthouse is 200.00 more total.  I have never sailed the haven, so this will be a special treat for me and my husband.  We don't really use elevators when we cruise (Always take the stairs to help burn some calories), so how essential is it to have a smaller courtyard room for courtyard proximity vs a larger forward facing penthouse?

My opinion is if it's only $200 more certainly snap it up. Being right there in the quiet midst of the Haven is wonderful. It's not about the walking for me--we walked a ton each day even though we were staying there. Walking from an out-of-the-courtyard cabin would not make a difference to me. What did make a difference was the overall experience of just being right there.  We were in the Haven (2 BR Courtyard suite on the Bliss) a few weeks ago. Can't say enough good things about it. We still would have loved it being in an "outer" Haven cabin, but I don't see it comparing on the highest level of wonderful. For $200, to me the highest level of wonderful is totally worth it. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

My opinion is if it's only $200 more certainly snap it up. Being right there in the quiet midst of the Haven is wonderful. It's not about the walking for me--we walked a ton each day even though we were staying there. Walking from an out-of-the-courtyard cabin would not make a difference to me. What did make a difference was the overall experience of just being right there.  We were in the Haven (2 BR Courtyard suite on the Bliss) a few weeks ago. Can't say enough good things about it. We still would have loved it being in an "outer" Haven cabin, but I don't see it comparing on the highest level of wonderful. For $200, to me the highest level of wonderful is totally worth it. 

I agree.  Done both the forward penthouse and Haven penthouse.  The Haven experience was not the same plus the amount of walking.  In the Haven you don't have to leave the Haven area for any reason if you don't want to.  The restaurant, bar, pool, and sundeck are all right at your feet.  I felt like an outsider with a penthouse outside the haven area.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 8:28 AM, justhappy said:

Agree about the toilet paper, fast food restaurants have nicer quality tp.

I had a great butler, Ramon in our Haven aft balcony on the Dec 8 cruise.

Had to inject about the TP.  The Haven suites, I would imagine, are running the same plumbing as ALL the other cabins on the ship, which is a delicate system...they use the thin TP because it breaks down better and will not clog the system.  Just part of ship life folks. 

• Thanks 1