Formal Nights

Mostonian

11 hours ago, keithm said:

Little secret: We actually only book tables for 2. Just wanted to stir the juices a bit!

So now we all know just how much credibility to give your posts in the future. 

Happy sailing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Potstech said:

Do not like associating with other diners apparently.

Nope. Had enough issues with other pax not wanting to sit with a gay couple. Had this happen twice on Oceania. Prefer to just avoid the issue. It's pretty bad when you start chatting & suddenly the other couple "figures" you out, & they suddenly just clam up. Really doesn't make for a nice dinner. I will say that at large tables, this really doesn't come into play much, as most don't want to come off as unaccepting(at least in public) 

Another thing..we're foodies. We like to really try different things. We have to be considerate to the other diners & not hold up their dinner, either. These are the reasons we prefer a dinner for 2. On Oceania in La Reserve, which is a tasting venue, everyone is there for the same tasting menu. This is basically a 3+ hour event served with choice wines with each course.

Edited by keithm
additions
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, keithm said:

Nope. Had enough issues with other pax not wanting to sit with a gay couple. Had this happen twice on Oceania. Prefer to just avoid the issue. It's pretty bad when you start chatting & suddenly the other couple "figures" you out, & they suddenly just clam up. Really doesn't make for a nice dinner. I will say that at large tables, this really doesn't come into play much, as most don't want to come off as unaccepting(at least in public) 

Another thing..we're foodies. We like to really try different things. We have to be considerate to the other diners & not hold up their dinner, either. These are the reasons we prefer a dinner for 2. On Oceania in La Reserve, which is a tasting venue, everyone is there for the same tasting menu. This is basically a 3+ hour event served with choice wines with each course.

might just be your best post on CC ever ... honest and to the point ... nice

On 10/17/2019 at 12:28 PM, Mike45LC said:

I don't care what the others do.  Formal nights on a cruise are my only chance to wear my tux these days, now that I no longer go to black tie events at home.

You need a season subscription to the opera.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, keithm said:

Makes me wonder who is really the judgmental one based on all of your post insinuating that passengers who do not dress to the nines in formal clothes are somehow less then!!!!  And only two Princess cruises to boot if your post are truthful??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Makes me wonder who is really the judgmental one based on all of your post insinuating that passengers who do not dress to the nines in formal clothes are somehow less then!!!!  And only two Princess cruises to boot if your post are truthful??

I disagree with the assertion about passengers not dressing to the nines.  By all descriptions these gentlemen do dress up for formal night, but are not dressing formal in full suits or black tie.  I don't recall reading any expectation from @keithm that all passengers should be "dressed to the nines in formal clothes".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, keithm said:

There are bigots everywhere.  You would be welcome at our table anytime.  

One trend I have been noticing is men in suits or sport coats with no tie.  We were on the CB last fall and they were allowing jeans on formal night and shorts on regular night.  Loved the Hawaiian shirts on formal night but alas I had left mine at home since we were in the Caribbean. 

• Like 2

I'd be pleased if cruise lines simply had a realistic "minimum dress code" that was absolutely enforced. For instance, at least in the in the MDR: no hairy armpits, no baseball caps, no raggedy shorts, "flip-flops", etc. We quit cruising on Carnival and NCL some time ago because we have seen at least one of those "fashion statements" each time we sailed Carnival.

I would love to wear my tuxedo when we cruise, but with today's airline prices on checked bags we don't do that anymore. However, we try to fit in with majority as far as MDR wear goes, which for me means nice slacks, a nice Hawaiian type or polo shirt, and a sports jacket for the "formal" nights. Many probably consider me over-dressed and many others consider me under-dressed, but I feel it's appropriate.....at least based on my observations on Princess, HAL and Celeb over the past 20 years or so.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 7:02 AM, USCcruisecrazy said:

I wish I had a dollar for every time this subject comes up...I could extend my December cruise for another week.  LOL!!!

It's a simple answer to what many make out to be a complex situation:  if you want to be formal, be formal...if you don't good for you.  Just don't understand why each side tries to outdo the other on why their solution is best.

We always dress to the max...our group of 12 will have 6 gentlemen in very nice Tuxedos and the ladies will look marvelous!  But that's because we enjoy dressing up when our normal dress each day is scrubs, or a military uniform, etc...  We love to dress up and can give a rat's *** if the folks sitting beside us are wearing pajamas.

What I don't understand though are those fighting for Princess to make a change to their written policy.  If they will let you get away with not following it, then why bother changing it.  What it does, for those new to cruising, is give them an unbiased guideline as to what Princess would like to see on Formal nights.  As long as those newbies avoid CC they will never know the difference.  LOL!  Bottom Line:  dress however you wish...have fun...quit worrying about what I'm wearing...because I sure don't worry about you!!

And there you have it!!  If those other cruise lines fit your dress better...  go for it!!  I'm sure they will welcome your patronage. It's all about MONEY!!  If your opinion and choice of another cruise line is making more money for them, ...  Princess will surely follow to make a profit. 

We will still be the couple on formal nights in the MDR, me in the tuxedo with the fabulous lady in an evening gown..  drinking a martini..  making wonderful memories to share and having a great time! 

• Like 2

Just returned from my first HAL cruise and no dress issues on their Gala nights.

Passengers wore what they wanted. Excellent meals. A nice change from Princess.

We no longer take jackets, ties, formal dresses...smart casual is our choice on all cruise lines now.

• Like 1

I have been thinking this formal night thread has pretty good length now with over 100 postings and it has been very civil with everyone simply talking about what they have seen and what they like to do.  Congrats to all of us as this has to be the first one in a long time that has not descended into mud-slinging. 

9 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I have been thinking this formal night thread has pretty good length now with over 100 postings and it has been very civil with everyone simply talking about what they have seen and what they like to do.  Congrats to all of us as this has to be the first one in a long time that has not descended into mud-slinging. 

It comforting to know that people (some) no longer react in horror when it's mentioned that you'll be going to the DR without formal clothing on formal evenings. The times have certainly changed from a few years back when the mere mention of not dressing up would cause turmoil.

Might it be that those formalists have abandoned Princess for more formal cruise line?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dfdub said:

And there you have it!!  If those other cruise lines fit your dress better...  go for it!!  I'm sure they will welcome your patronage. It's all about MONEY!!  If your opinion and choice of another cruise line is making more money for them, ...  Princess will surely follow to make a profit. 

We will still be the couple on formal nights in the MDR, me in the tuxedo with the fabulous lady in an evening gown..  drinking a martini..  making wonderful memories to share and having a great time! 

You obviously have an issue with understanding the English language...I have no concern about the policy at all.  If you want to be formal, casual, or half naked, I really don't care.  Wear whatever you like.  My point was, why complain about the policy if the policy doesn't dictate anything to begin with?  And by the way, I will be in a Tuxedo as well!!!  Love formal nights...our entire group...but I stated that in the post as well!!

22 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I disagree with the assertion about passengers not dressing to the nines.  By all descriptions these gentlemen do dress up for formal night, but are not dressing formal in full suits or black tie.  I don't recall reading any expectation from @keithm that all passengers should be "dressed to the nines in formal clothes".

Really? Why not? No, I have to admit I was pretty strong in my opinions, as have others in theirs.( I love a good battle!) I felt that at least on Cunard you ARE expected to follow the dresscodes, as that's part of their "shtick" & makes them stand out. On Princess, we'll do sport coats/vests/ties(or no ties) & mix & match. I will draw the line at ball caps/shorts/flip flops etc. at dinner(MDR). I mean at least slacks & a collared shirt for Smart Casual & the aforementioned(word of the day!)sport coat or nice shirt & tie or vest for formal. Tuxes are fine, but we won't wear them, except only on Cunard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It comforting to know that people (some) no longer react in horror when it's mentioned that you'll be going to the DR without formal clothing on formal evenings. The times have certainly changed from a few years back when the mere mention of not dressing up would cause turmoil.

Might it be that those formalists have abandoned Princess for more formal cruise line?

Not at all! You can't win YOUR arguments & we can't win OURS, either. At least let's keep the shorts  & ball caps out of the MDR at night. This really isn't ASKING for much.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, keithm said:

Not at all! You can't win YOUR arguments & we can't win OURS, either. At least let's keep the shorts  & ball caps out of the MDR at night. This really isn't ASKING for much.

I didn't think that the people wearing shorts on the Crib Princess (last Nov) or the Crown Princess  (Feb & Oct) took anything away from the enjoyment of other cruisers at all. They were all very neatly dressed wearing decent shirts along with shorts. (both Caribbean cruises). We alway sat near the entrance door so I could see everyone entering. 

It's not a matter of either group winning but allowing everyone to enjoy their vacation dressed  decently in the DR for an evening meal. On our recent trip on the Crown there may have been as many a 2 dozen people with shorts on casual evenings  & once seated you would never have noticed anything different. 

I specifically asked about the shorts & was told that although the company policy indicated that they weren't allowed the management had made the decision to allow them since many people chose to do so.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I didn't think that the people wearing shorts on the Crib Princess (last Nov) or the Crown Princess  (Feb & Oct) took anything away from the enjoyment of other cruisers at all. They were all very neatly dressed wearing decent shirts along with shorts. (both Caribbean cruises). We alway sat near the entrance door so I could see everyone entering. 

It's not a matter of either group winning but allowing everyone to enjoy their vacation dressed  decently in the DR for an evening meal. On our recent trip on the Crown there may have been as many a 2 dozen people with shorts on casual evenings  & once seated you would never have noticed anything different. 

I specifically asked about the shorts & was told that although the company policy indicated that they weren't allowed the management had made the decision to allow them since many people chose to do so.   

And the sun still rose and set each day!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:43 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

I'd be pleased if cruise lines simply had a realistic "minimum dress code" that was absolutely enforced. For instance, at least in the in the MDR: no hairy armpits, no baseball caps, no raggedy shorts, "flip-flops", etc. We quit cruising on Carnival and NCL some time ago because we have seen at least one of those "fashion statements" each time we sailed Carnival.

I would love to wear my tuxedo when we cruise, but with today's airline prices on checked bags we don't do that anymore. However, we try to fit in with majority as far as MDR wear goes, which for me means nice slacks, a nice Hawaiian type or polo shirt, and a sports jacket for the "formal" nights. Many probably consider me over-dressed and many others consider me under-dressed, but I feel it's appropriate.....at least based on my observations on Princess, HAL and Celeb over the past 20 years or so.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head.......  You can pretty much figure to go full out formal is a $200.00 expense for a couple these days. Nothing against the cruise line but I would hate to give the airlines the satisfaction lol. Now granted we do a 7 day cruise with a carry on and under the seat back pack  , but also don't have haul pop, water, etc on board either....... (might have the Uber pull over to grab a couple botttles of wine on the way to port though and I do wear a sport coat on the plane...

Edited by TNTLAMB