Baltimore or New York or Bayonne?

helene109

My daughter just moved to Baltimore and we wanted to cruise with her next August. Opinions please as the Pride is 15 minutes from her or drive a little but more for a totally different ship. Opinions please! They also have a 6 year old and my son will be coming that is in college. Thanks!

It really depends on what your family is looking for in a cruise / ship. 

The Pride is my favourite Carnival ship and Baltimore is my favourite port (it's my "local" port, 2 hours from my front porch).  So my opinions are definitely biased.  I've only cruised out of NYC once.  That turned out to be my least favourite port, and the most unpleasant fellow passengers, by far.  It could have been a fluke.  I don't know.  But I'm in no hurry to cruise out of NY again.  I've never cruised out of NJ.

15 minutes ago, helene109 said:

My daughter just moved to Baltimore and we wanted to cruise with her next August. Opinions please as the Pride is 15 minutes from her or drive a little but more for a totally different ship. Opinions please! They also have a 6 year old and my son will be coming that is in college. Thanks!

To me, it would depend on which had the itinerary I prefered,

Edited by trummy

Baltimore is an easy port to sail from, only three itineraries (except Journey cruises).  Done the Pride 5 times from 3 different home ports.  Love the ship.  The Pride has a great repeat cruiser count, the best for Carnival, which says a lot.  

Edited by jimbo5544

14 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Baltimore is an easy port to sail from, only three itineraries (except Journey cruises).  Done the Pride 5 times from 3 different home ports.  Love the ship.  The Pride has a great repeat cruiser count, the best for Carnival, which says a lot.  

It sure does. Why is that? And is it any different than the other 3 Spirit Class ships?

29 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

It sure does. Why is that? And is it any different than the other 3 Spirit Class ships?

Couple of different things With Spirit and Miracle.  The Spirit class are very

popular because of their size and some

unique features 

Edited by jimbo5544

I've left from Bayonne 3 times on the Celebrity Summit and 2 times from NYC on the Norwegian Escape.  I live in Philly, so it's a short drive to both.  I've left my car at the parking garage in Bayonne with no problems.  Easy in, easy out.  We have only taken car services to NYC because I don't want to drive and park there.  The piers at NYC are crazy busy.  

4 hours ago, helene109 said:

Are you specifically looking to cruise on Carnival or considering other cruise line ships?  Carnival sails from Baltimore and New York but not from Bayonne.  If you want to consider all 3 ports of departure I can move this to a forum where you will also get more information on Bayonne.

Love Pride. Sailed her 2X, 3rd next year. Nice size ship, easy to navigate. Affordable parking. Easy 3 hour drive for us. We are from Central NJ and have sailed out of Florida several times, Galveston, New Orleans a few times, New York a few times. Of all home ports, New York had the rudest group of people to deal with on a ship all week. I wish we didn't have such a bad reputation, but some folks just make that happen.

1 hour ago, helene109 said:

Thanks as I know nothing about Bayonne not even what airport that Southwest would fly into. There is a 5 day out of there that I am researching vs the Pride. Thanks 

Closest airport to Bayonne will be Newark. It’s my understanding that Southwest is eliminating service into Newark and consolidating New York City area operations to La Guardia. 

Either you you can fly to Newark on pretty much any other airline, many times for cheaper than Southwest, but if you HAVE to fly Southwest, then you can fly to La Guardia and then find ground transportation from there. 

Even though we are about an hour from the Manhattan cruise port and similar distance to Bayonne for the past 4 years we have been cruising out of Baltimore.If we are going to the Caribbean we like that in a relatively short amount of time we are in the Carolinas where it can be very warm when we do a winter cruise.

52 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

What’s with the u?

What u?  The u in cruise?  That's the only 'u' in my post. You've got me stumped this time, JimBob.  I have absolutely no idea about what you are talking.  Are you feeling OK?

55 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

What u?  The u in cruise?  That's the only 'u' in my post. You've got me stumped this time, JimBob.  I have absolutely no idea about what you are talking.  Are you feeling OK?

LOL, sorry, post 2

24 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Why are you making me work so hard to understand your meaning, Jimmy?  I still don't get it.

favourite vs  favorite 

The Pride is my favourite Carnival ship and Baltimore is my favourite port