Simple Butter Question

shortyjoesmith

2 minutes ago, RjayB said:

The fact is (and this comes up in many of the "cutback" threads) that the price of a cruise has not really increased much over the years.  I looked back at several standard balcony cruises we took over 10 years ago, and the price per person per day is about the same as our upcoming cruise this year.  It is no surprise to me that the pats of individually wrapped butter we had in 2002 have been replaced with a substitute.  I know i am in a minority, but i would prefer we had the same service standards as 15 years ago with an adjusted higher price.

Count me into that same minority!  I've been saying it for years, not just about Carnival cruises, but also canned tuna, restaurant meals, furniture polish, frozen pizzas, and just about every other product out there that has had its quality and/or portion cut over the years.  Give me the quality that I have come to expect from a favourite product, and raise the price as necessary.  But don't cut back on quality and expect me not to notice and to be satisfied with less than what you had taught me to expect.:classic_angry:

• Like 4

The overall quality of food in the MDR decreases coincidental to the introduction of “pay extra” venues for the previous MDR higher quality. Most everyone (not me) says they are happy to pay more for better dining. “Where else can you get a perfect steak for $38”. Forget that you already paid for your dinner.

But let them replace butter with imitation and war breaks out.

I don’t eat margarine and rarely eat butter but I don’t feel it necessary to bring my own coconut oil on a cruise. It might be interesting to watch diners arriving at the dining room toting their own butter pats. How do you do that? Lanyard or pocket?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

It might be interesting to watch diners arriving at the dining room toting their own butter pats. How do you do that? Lanyard or pocket?

If enough diners do this, Carnival will limit each passenger to one stick each and charge a $15 spreading fee, like they do if you bring your own wine.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, coevan said:

Is there any factual evidence that Carnival does not serve real butter? 

None, whatsoever. Just opinions of a few.

The fact that Carnival states it is butter trumps opinions of anonymous internet posters.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

None, whatsoever. Just opinions of a few.

The fact that Carnival states it is butter trumps opinions of anonymous internet posters.

Yup.  Whipped butter is pretty common around here and I prefer it hands down.  Seems like many didn't know it existed from their posts.  LOL....now people are actually going to pack butter in their suitcase....give me a break.

• Like 4

Packing butter, to go on a CRUISE?  I've heard it all now. 

Sorry, but if i was in the MDR and witnessed someone pulling out their own butter, from where ever they have it stashed, i think i would have to just bust out laughing...............😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

The overall quality of food in the MDR decreases coincidental to the introduction of “pay extra” venues for the previous MDR higher quality. Most everyone (not me) says they are happy to pay more for better dining. “Where else can you get a perfect steak for $38”. Forget that you already paid for your dinner.

But let them replace butter with imitation and war breaks out.

I don’t eat margarine and rarely eat butter but I don’t feel it necessary to bring my own coconut oil on a cruise. It might be interesting to watch diners arriving at the dining room toting their own butter pats. How do you do that? Lanyard or pocket?

I see three topics, none of which are butter related, am I missing something?😐

On 10/18/2019 at 6:07 PM, bury me at sea said:

I will give the above posters the benefit of the doubt that things have changed since my last cruise.

In April of this year butter was absolutely not available in the MDR on the Freedom.  There were bowls of light yellow hydrogenated, spreadable oil on each table that the waiters referred to as butter.

I will be so happy if this is no longer the case, but meanwhile butter pats are on the packing list for my next cruise.

I ask to get a chunk of real butter from the chief. Never a problem. The go and get it. I have also asked for it in the buffet. They get it there also.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I ask to get a chunk of real butter from the chief. Never a problem. The go and get it. I have also asked for it in the buffet. They get it there also.

Good information, thanks.

I know there's butter in the galley.  We saw huge quantities of it during the galley tour that was being used in the chocolate melting cakes, and undoubtedly other dishes.  It just never made it to our table.

I'll ask for it again next cruise, but meanwhile will pack enough for a week just in case.

• Haha 1

I sent message to Heald  because I do weight watchers and need to know what I am eating in order to track it. He said in no uncertain terms it is butter and they have no intentions of doing away with it! What you are reading is opinion......different people like different kind of things.....

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 2:30 PM, silvercrikhix said:

Well, I guess we will be bringing butter on board also. Unbelievable! 

We don’t eat anything but real butter at home and aren’t about to eat oleo on a vacation. 

Carnival has gone too far with this butter thing.  

Hey, come pay thousands of bucks with us to vacay and eat Oleo. Not happening, ever. 

All these cuts to better the environment are saving them tons of bucks too. 

Doubt we’ll see any improvements elsewhere to compensate for all the missing items. 

They could easily make rosettes of real butter in the dip cups in the kitchen and have those available

Very. Easy to do. They’re choosing to cut instead. Tacky. 

Check John Healds FB site today, someone (hmmm) brought it to him to confirm and it is in fact butter.  Cancel the plans.  

• Like 4