Cruise food - better if trip costs more?

Koliver63

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In addition to mainstream lines cutting the per pax cost for food, I also believe the Executive Chef is similar to the Captain. Quality & standards start at the top, so an effective Captain sets the standards and runs a tight ship. This is the same for most of the departments and an effective Executive Chef runs a good galley.

Exactly!

And the Executive Chef on Sea Princess last month was the best I've experienced in 8 Princess cruises. The majority of the meals I had on that 35 night cruise were excellent. Quality produce, perfectly cooked, and presented attractively. 😊😊😊

It is no guarantee. I was on a cruise that claimed to have fancy food and yes there was great food but there was also mediocre dishes and some that I outright hated and even though there was some sophisticated dishes on the menu the dish I remember most was their own version of a local street food. In the end it probaby comes down more to the chef and cooks. You can give someone great ingredients but it doesn't mean they will cook it well on the other hand you can have cheap ingredients and turn it into an amazing dish.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:53 PM, Koliver63 said:

We just returned from a 10 day trip to the Caribbean on the Crown Princess and I must say most of the food was really awful...barely edible most of the time.  Everywhere... the dining room, buffet, specialty restaurants, grill by the pool...just really poor quality ingredients and many times we wondered what we were actually eating. Here is the interesting part - we went on the Crown Princess Spring of 2018 (11 day trip to the Mediterranean) and the quality of the food was much better.   The Med cruise was more than double the price of the Caribbean cruise.  Does anyone know if cruise lines (specifically Princess) will change the quality of the food on board based on the cost of the trip or the destination?    It was such a noticeable difference - enough that it could prevent me from booking a Princess cruise again in the future.  We would like to go back to the Mediterranean again in 2021 but I am now leary to book with Princess because the food on this last cruise was so bad. If anyone has any insight as to what could make such a difference in dining experience on the exact same ship in only 18 months time,  I would love to hear.  Thanks!  

We have cruised Princess (elite), Celebrity (elite) , HAL, Cunard, and NCL recently... the food on all lines was about the same except NCL.  NCL was a Mediterranean cruise out of Rome visiting Egypt, Israel and Greece... food and service on baord was well below what we are use to on any of the other lines... we ended up making our own salad and sandwiches as a main meal from the buffet for 10 days, after trying the mdr for lunch and dinner the first day on board.  We were satisied with this because the cruise price was a lot less than we paid in the past on any line... because of unrest in Egypt and Israel.. so we figured we got what we paid for.

To address you question, I have not cruised in the Carribbean for a while, last time was when the Ruby Princess was new -- did a 7 day back to back with a new Celebrity Ship the Eclipse, I believe.  Comparing the two lines we liked the Ruby over X, even though we booked a Club Class cabin and had BLU  the special dining  room assigned with Club class cabin.  

We once booked the same ship, a Princess ship, to Mexico from San Francsico... two cruises on the same ship, within 6 months of each... first one outstanding ... second one big disappointment... so can happen same ship, in a short period of time.

We have cruised the Mediterranean, on Crystal, Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard and as I mentioned  

earlier on NCL... all cruises were very similar in quality of food and service, for  the price I though Crystal was over rated, so we only did one cruise on Crystal. 

We are cruising the Coral Princess, Panama Canal, leaving 10/31;  have the Grand Princess booked for 2/11/20, so overall we are pleased, satisfied with Princess.   With 28 Princess cruises... we no long do the MDR (menu has changed, i.e., a hamburger as example on dinner menu today).  We prefer the Crown Grill menu and enjoying going there even with the $29 pp person charge, we use to tip extra in the MDR and order off menu - now we just do the auto tip and go to the Crown Grill instead.   We are just as satisfied with the buffet on some days or the special Fish and Chips on sea days... as seniors we don't eat more than 2 meals a day.. breakfast and one other.  Have not been going to the MDR for about 5 years... do the same other lines too - including Celebrity, which some feel is better than Princess.    HAL is the only exception because I don't believe they do a buffet in the evening. 

Hope these comments are helpful... kind of long winded but my thoughts about your issue.

Edited by pris993
need to finish my comments

Well hands up. We are foodies. We eat so well at home that when we go out or cruise we sometimes find it difficult to find food that is better or more amazing than we have at home. Last cruise but one the food in the mdr was good, plenty of choice and in the  italian mdr included in fare was equally as good if not better. Our most recent cruise same company the mdr was ok and the italian good but different ships so I think a lot of it is down to the head chef on board. As somebody said it comes from the top. 

We hate foo foo food too all style and no substance, what good is a lettuce leaf, 3 peas, a carrot and a sliver of fish curled. Sure it looks pretty but it's not gonna cure the rumble in my tummy. 😜

• Like 1

Processed food with high amounts of salt, sugar and fat is what so many people eat today and it basically dumbs down their pallet. It plays into any food esstablishments ability to cut corners. That is why I believe looking pretty often beats taste.

7 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

We hate foo foo food too all style and no substance, what good is a lettuce leaf, 3 peas, a carrot and a sliver of fish curled. Sure it looks pretty but it's not gonna cure the rumble in my tummy. 😜

Unless Thomas Keller did it 🙂  Here's a meal we had in Barcelona from the founders of the world famous El Bulli.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/barcelona-tickets-bar-fun-good-food-878068#7715172

Here's why some of us don't like the term "foodie."

https://www.chowhound.com/manifesto

8 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

We hate foo foo food too all style and no substance, what good is a lettuce leaf, 3 peas, a carrot and a sliver of fish curled. 😜

Haha, that is so true.  And, if words like "deconstructed" or "essence" are included, they can charge 3x's  more for it.  

• Like 3

On 10/20/2019 at 8:24 PM, clo said:

(FWIW, those of us who are 'into' food really don't like the term "foodie.")  ...

The term “foodie” generally describes one who is selective about food -  perhaps synonymous with “epicure” or “gourmet” - and seems to fit your approach - as opposed to “chowhound”, which simply means someone who just basically likes to eat —- and eating, in that basic sense, can meet the “chowhound’s” needs at a burger-world as easily as at a Michelin three star.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The term “foodie” generally describes one who is selective about food -  perhaps synonymous with “epicure” or “gourmet” - and seems to fit your approach - as opposed to “chowhound”, which simply means someone who just basically likes to eat —- and eating, in that basic sense, can meet the “chowhound’s” needs at a burger-world as easily as at a Michelin three star.

If you read the link I shared about the "manifesto" you'll see what I mean.  But back on topic (ha!) I was hoping that someone would give an example of "frou frou" food they had on a cruise ship.  I looked at QM and here's a dinner menu. 

https://www.beyondships.com/files/252_mdr_2.pdf

Nothing FF, is it?  So please someone give me an example?

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

And, if words like "deconstructed" or "essence" are included, they can charge 3x's  more for it.  

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

In the CC context, I believe people mean the recent “too frilly or fancy” usage.

"Deconstructed" and "essence" descriptions of menu items are words that definitely will prevent me from ordering such a dish.  Ever have a "deconstructed" apple pie as a dessert during a specialty chef's dinner on a HAL ship?  How much more disappointing of a dessert can such be?

37 minutes ago, clo said:

If you read the link I shared about the "manifesto" you'll see what I mean.  But back on topic (ha!) I was hoping that someone would give an example of "frou frou" food they had on a cruise ship.  I looked at QM and here's a dinner menu. 

https://www.beyondships.com/files/252_mdr_2.pdf

Nothing FF, is it?  So please someone give me an example?

I think something called "chicken liver parfait"  comes close  -- particularly when accompanied by Anjou pear.

"Chowhound.com" claims to represent serious gourmets -- but their capitalizing "chowhound" does not change its meaning any more than that gadget producer calling itself  "Apple" , make an apple anything more than a treat fruit. 

43 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think something called "chicken liver parfait"  comes close  -- particularly when accompanied by Anjou pear.

"Chowhound.com" claims to represent serious gourmets -- but their capitalizing "chowhound" does not change its meaning any more than that gadget producer calling itself  "Apple" , make an apple anything more than a treat fruit. 

If it just said "chopped liver with sliced pear" would that be better?  🙂

What Chowhound claims these days is nothing like in the past.  It was bought some years ago by CBS and the true 'hounds left in droves.  An example of mine is that one night in Reykjavik we had the most sublime local lamb ever and the following night the best hot dog ever where Bill Clinton had one 🙂

52 minutes ago, clo said:

What Chowhound claims these days is nothing like in the past.  It was bought some years ago by CBS and the true 'hounds left in droves.  An example of mine is that one night in Reykjavik we had the most sublime local lamb ever and the following night the best hot dog ever where Bill Clinton had one 🙂

You should try to communicate using a common language — “Chowhound”, in connection with CBS means something like selective gourmet - while a chowhound is someone who just likes to eat - pretty much damn near everything.  Who are the “true ‘hounds” you refer to?  And where the hell did they go? And why did they leave? Were they belly-filling chowhounds or were they selective gourmets who subscribe to the now-fashionable Chowhound.com life-style?

Pleas differentiate - perhaps with simple capitalizing - when using a word with two radically different meanings depending upon context, punctuation and capitalization.

Something does not have to be rare or exotic to be truly sublime - perhaps my favorite example of an exceptional bit of fine late-night treats is the buttered steak sandwich served at the now long-closed Boar and Castle drive-in in Greensboro, NC:   shaved steak,  on a toasted, buttered bun, with a dash of their famous green sauce. Common food — but perfectly prepared - surpasses anything but the most perfectly consummated bernaise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Something does not have to be rare or exotic to be truly sublime - perhaps my favorite example of an exceptional bit of fine late-night treats is the buttered steak sandwich served at the now long-closed Boar and Castle drive-in in Greensboro, NC:   shaved steak,  on a toasted, buttered bun, with a dash of their famous green sauce. Common food — but perfectly prepared - surpasses anything but the most perfectly consummated bernaise.

And THAT, my friend, is what a true CHOWHOUND (from the olden days) would treasure.  We have a fave dim sum place in Seattle that has THE best chicken feet.  And to keep it remotely cruise related I'm looking forward to the food on Oceania but I'm not holding it up to the chicken feet level.  LOL.  Oh, and we're embarking a few hours later than we could in Rio in order to have this traditional Saturday lunch of feijoada.

20190730_091938 - Edited.jpg

feijoada 2014.JPG

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

2 hours ago, clo said:

No, because chopped liver, pate, and parfait are three different dishes, with differing ingredients and/or degrees of coarseness. Parfait is very smooth, pate can vary from smooth to chunky, chopped liver is usually chunky.

But the Anjou Pear could be construed as frou frou. 😉

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Nothing wrong with a pear long as it doesn't come with partridge! 🤣Then again, it might go very well with partridge. 😋

You're very funny.   I gotta keep an eye on you 🙂

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But the Anjou Pear could be construed as frou frou. 

I don't really see Anjou Pear any different from Lebanese Cucumbers, Thai Eggplants or Morten Bay Bugs😕. It is just an originating place name, which to be honest you can't get more basic and unimaginative than that😜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't really see Anjou Pear any different from Lebanese Cucumbers, Thai Eggplants or Morten Bay Bugs😕. It is just an originating place name, which to be honest you can't get more basic and unimaginative than that😜

I think that's a superb point.  Go to a good market and check out the selection.