Are Power Bars Allowed?

Beachnut53

Concerned about the number of outlets in our stateroom.  Power bar would certainly make life easier but I was not sure if they were allowed.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Also can you use a standard plug in nightlight in the bathroom shaver outlet?  Thanks.

56 minutes ago, DFWGUYZ said:

If you read the Amazon reviews, you will see that this item is being confiscated by port Security for Carnival, RCCL, and NCL.  When you cannot get this item past Security, it doesn't matter whether cruise lines approve it or not.

Here is what I use to change the European outlet into a US outlet with 220V that works for tablets, laptops, and phones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR9DB9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Add this plug to convert the A/C outlet to three outlets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY5WZVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using the above for my past 10 cruises.

• Like 2

If you are sailing on the Westerdam, there is a built-in nightlight in the bathroom.  The koningisdam, most staterooms, have a floorlight across from the bathroom that illuminates when you near the door and extinguishes about 20 seconds after you leave the bathroom.  I will verify in December if the Niuew Statendam has the same floorlights across from the bathroom.

Others will have to answer your shaver outlet plug use for a nightlight.

Edited by Crew News

9 hours ago, DFWGUYZ said:

I've fought this one before.  If you look at the photo of the back of the unit, it has written on it "VPR (L-N) 800V", which is a measure of protection by a surge protection circuit.  I have heard from CC users who say that they have received these that don't say that on the back, and so these should not be surge protected, but it appears that at least the advertising copy is not up to date, or that some of the older, surge protected devices may still be selling.

As for the bathroom outlet, that will be typically a two prong, non-polarity US plug (which some nightlights are not), and also will be limited to about 40 milliamps of current, so any nightlight over about 5 watts will blow the fuse.

• Like 1

As I recall, Westerdam bathrooms in suites only have nightlights, not so in standard cabins.

We use a battery operated tea light for a night light in the restroom.  I replace the battery as needed.

I bring a standard 3-from-1 extension cord like you might use in your home, without an surge protection/suppression, and have never been asked to stop using it or had it confiscated.

9 hours ago, Beachnut53 said:

Concerned about the number of outlets in our stateroom.

What ship? On Pinnacle class there are many more AC outlets and USB outlets than on the old S and R class and you may not even need a power strip. I believe that's true on upgraded Signature ships too.

You are a bit at the whim of the security agents checking bags.  A power bar is essentially a short extension cord...and extension cords are not allowed.  Extension cords/adapters/power strips with built in surge protectors really can be very dangerous on ships due to ship wiring.....the rule is there for a very good reason.  

I carry a very cheap simple three way one piece outlet from the local hardware store.  I also carry a grounded European 220V to 110V adapter so I can use any appliance/charger that is 110/220V capable....and I carry an Anker six outlet USB charger that can plug into a single 110/220 outlet which charges our curent phones, computers, ipads, gps units,  watches at the same time (that depends, of course, on your devices). 

It's still challenging, for example on the Veendam, the 110 and 220V outlets are so close together on the desk that when I tried the 3 way 110V outlet, I couldn't plug anything into the 220V outlet.  Sometimes, you just have to plug and unplug.

Beachnut53 I believe you are going on the Nieuw Statendam  and if so you will find an abundance of outlets through out your stateroom.  There’s plenty of power in the room. Each night stand has US and USB outlets. The desk has USB/US on the right, USB/Euro outlets in the middle, and another US/Euro outlet on the left. Each bath has a shaver outlet.

53 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

...and extension cords are not allowed.

Thus is interesting, since I've used (and left very visible on the desk each voyage) a 6-foot 110V three-outlet, two-conductor extension cord on our last four trips last year and this. We use them only for chargers, and the stewards leave them alone, We've been on board 73 days in two years, so there's been plenty of time for staff to see the cord and do something about it. 

Don’t confuse “it worked for me” with the “official” rules.  In other words, if on your next cruise they decide to check and take away your extension cord, no one will care that you’ve not been stopped in the past.   “But officer, I’ve been driving on this road at 65 mph in the 40 mph speed zone for months and no one has stopped me”......good luck with that defense:)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Don’t confuse “it worked for me” with the “official” rules.

From Know Before You Go, page 6

Please Note: Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons and
knives or sharp blades over two and half inches long and illegal
drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception. For safety
reasons drones and any other remote controlled aerial devices/
toys are not allowed on board our ship. Extension cords (without
surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper
caution.
However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard,
they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise
prior to debark. For additional information regarding prohibited
items please visit the Frequently Asked Questions section of
hollandamerica.com.

OP: if you bring an extension cord, I suggest you bring a printed copy of that part of KBYG.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

...and extension cords are not allowed.

Extension cords most certainly ARE allowed. It's the surge protector itself that is not allowed. 
Thanks to cat|331 for finding it in the Know Before You Go section. 

13 hours ago, Beachnut53 said:

Concerned about the number of outlets in our stateroom.  Power bar would certainly make life easier but I was not sure if they were allowed.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Also can you use a standard plug in nightlight in the bathroom shaver outlet?  Thanks.

I've used the little night lights with the 4 watt bulbs (light blue ones are nice) on Princess ships shaver outlets, but we usually don't have that opportunity on Holland ships.  The plug must have two small prongs, not the 1 small and 1 larger prong or it won't fit.  So on Holland ships we take a tiny tea light with a battery in it, and leave it on the counter at night.  Then when you use the facilities at night you don't need to turn on lights to wake you or your companion up.  The tiny flickering light is just enough to get in and out and back to sleep quickly.  And we don't leave the tea light on all night using up battery, we just grab it from the counter and flick the little switch on the bottom.  

5 hours ago, catl331 said:

From Know Before You Go, page 6

Extension cords (without
surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper
caution.

Thanks for posting this: I saw it some time ago, but didn't think to quote chapter and verse. I'm all for safety, on board and off.

We also take a small LED nightlight, which is rated at .3W and it's very handy, even on the desk.

Edited by kwb101

21 hours ago, Beachnut53 said:

You can also ask at the Front Desk as we have done in the past.  Be sure to ask as soon as you embark.  

Can't answer your question about the outlet in the bathroom.  Sorry.