First Time Cruisers

Good Morning, 

We are getting ready to leave on Saturday morning (super early) from Toronto to Florida (driving), where we will be spending 5 jam packed days at Disney World and then driving to Fort Lauderdale to embark on our first cruise.  It will be myself, my husband and our two kids dd6 and ds11.

I have only started really travelling the last 6 years

started with small trips to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, shopping trips

Went to Punta Cana for my sisters wedding - while I was pregnant (need I say more)

Myrtle Beach (20 people in our party)

New York (twice - can`t wait to go back)

Tokyo (amazing definitely need to visit at least once)

Disney (this will be our second time)

I looked at some lists about what to pack for the cruise so I did get the magnetic hooks, shoe hanger for the door.

What could you do without, what was the one thing you would recommend to others?

I plan on writing a review about our first cruise.  Is anyone interested in hearing about Disney as well?

Thanks for reading

• Like 2

Sounds like a wonderful trip!  The First Cruise, for me, was the best cruise!  Every cruise is wonderful, but the magical side of stepping on that ship for the very first time with no idea what to expect was really memorable.  

So, I can't really say what I can do without.  We generally pack too many clothes.  But we dress according to the suggested dress code so that means shorts and bathing suits for the day and slacks and shirts each night plus a coat and tie for formal nights (gave up the tux).  That's not in anyway suggesting you do the same.  The dress these days is very casual every night.  So dress to your comfort and desires.  

We like to take nuts and some candy for the cabin.  There's way more than enough food on the ship, but we like to have a few snacks as we dress or simply relax on our balcony. 

Take some small bills for room service tips.  Room service is not included in the daily gratuity, so if you use it, tip the server a few dollars or so.  

Sounds like you've done your research.  Not sure which ship, but be sure to have closed toed tied shoes for rock climbing or zip lines, etc.  

Take your sense of humor.  There are lots of people from all over the world.   It's a ship...it's mechanical and it moves.  So if everything isn't absolutely perfect, laugh it off and have another drink.  It's a cruise!  It'll be fantastic!  Enjoy it!  

Yes, include Disney in your review.  If people don't want to read about Disney, they can scroll through those posts.  I like to read about the entire experience for reviews.  It's all part of the cruise. 

Oh yeah... PICTURES!!! POST PICTURES!!  I love seeing a cruise through the "eyes" of someone else!  😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

Sounds like a wonderful trip!  The First Cruise, for me, was the best cruise!  Every cruise is wonderful, but the magical side of stepping on that ship for the very first time with no idea what to expect was really memorable.  

So, I can't really say what I can do without.  We generally pack too many clothes.  But we dress according to the suggested dress code so that means shorts and bathing suits for the day and slacks and shirts each night plus a coat and tie for formal nights (gave up the tux).  That's not in anyway suggesting you do the same.  The dress these days is very casual every night.  So dress to your comfort and desires.  

We like to take nuts and some candy for the cabin.  There's way more than enough food on the ship, but we like to have a few snacks as we dress or simply relax on our balcony. 

Take some small bills for room service tips.  Room service is not included in the daily gratuity, so if you use it, tip the server a few dollars or so.  

Sounds like you've done your research.  Not sure which ship, but be sure to have closed toed tied shoes for rock climbing or zip lines, etc.  

Take your sense of humor.  There are lots of people from all over the world.   It's a ship...it's mechanical and it moves.  So if everything isn't absolutely perfect, laugh it off and have another drink.  It's a cruise!  It'll be fantastic!  Enjoy it!  

Yes, include Disney in your review.  If people don't want to read about Disney, they can scroll through those posts.  I like to read about the entire experience for reviews.  It's all part of the cruise. 

Oh yeah... PICTURES!!! POST PICTURES!!  I love seeing a cruise through the "eyes" of someone else!  😎

Thank you, we have suits and dresses all ready to go.  We don't have many opportunities to dress up so we are definitely taking it on the cruise.  We will be on the independence, so I will make sure the kids have closed toed shoes for rock climbing. 

We are super excited it's been a tough year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, queenfrostine22 said:

Most likely you will pack too many clothes.

I always pack and then take a couple of things out of the suitcase.

I already have too many clothes (more my kids then us adults) i have a dedicated bag for Disney outfits (yes I have special Disney outfits for the kids) along with the Princess dresses and party dresses my daughter wanted for the cruise.

One of the weird things we always pack is a small rechargeable battery operated fan. Not one of those dinky foam things you carry with you, but a small 5 inch battery fan. It sounds crazy but now we refer to it as our MVP fan. Of course the ship has AC but sometimes when you aren't moving, the air can get a little stuffy or warm. Especially if you several people in one room trying to take showers and get ready. Even in our balcony room, we have our little fan to sit on the desk for when I put on makeup or if you are trying to cool down quickly before putting on your formal clothes. (I told you it sounds crazy - here is the link to the one we use)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1VZ00E/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1O2UMU2OJV8H7&psc=1

We also always bring extra hangers. There are rarely enough for what we want to hang up to decrease wrinkles so even tossing a few regular hangers or buying travel hangers is a life saver. 

Edited by SherieW321
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ashley0308 said:

We will be on the independence, so I will make sure the kids have closed toed shoes for rock climbing. 

In that line of thinking, make sure everyone has long pants and socks for ice skating!

I think you are definitely doing the trip in the right order.  Disney is exhausting and you'll be glad to have the cruise afterwards to relax a little bit.

Consider tucking an large empty extra beach bag into your suitcase.  You can take it when you get off the ship, but it's also good for packing up the last day in case you can't manage to get everything back into the suitcases..extra room for souvenirs and such.  I've fallen victim to this and had to purchase extra luggage to drag stuff home!

Remember that on the last day of the cruise you put your luggage out in the evening if you don't want to have to walk it off the ship yourself.  You will need to leave out clothes to wear the following morning, but also need to have a bag to carry off everything you need for that last night.  

Royal ships don't have public laundries onboard, so if you get the chance do some laundry at your Disney hotel before you drive down to the cruise.  Would suggest that you have two sets of luggage but with four people in a car that might be a stretch.  At least you can leave the Disney stuff in the parking lot.

You can save quite a bit of money on the Florida toll system by buying a Sunpass sticker in most groceries/convenience stores when you get into Florida.  This can save you 25% over getting billed by license plate and you won't have to go through the cash plazas to pay cash (and some places are license or Sunpass only).

We've never used shoe hangers or magnetic hooks.  But ships have relatively small closets and very few drawers (tight for 2 people, let alone 4).  Extra clothes can go in your luggage under the beds.  Don't bring multiple outfits for each day!

I can't believe I forgot to say my #1 all time travel tip - Packing Cubes!! They are life changing 😃 As you already mentioned, I also love hooks. Make sure they are strong enough - some hooks are only strong when they are on the ceiling because the drag force will pull them down a wall. 

I also have a compact back pack that rolls up into itself and is only about 7 inches. It is super lightweight and great for port days. Instead of an awkward beach bag that you have to carry on your side, a backpack is easier and hands free. It would even be great for one of your kids to have one and carry their own towels, etc. 

A lot will depend on what kind of room you are staying in. How much space you have and how smartly you organize (and stay organize) can make a big difference.

Hooks for lanyards, hats, purses, etc are great on the ceiling or wall in a corner or by the door. Sort of a grab and go situation. I've never used a shoe organizer but I do have a hanging toiletry bag that unzips and does the same sort of thing.

I like to bring dryer sheets to put in the drawers or closet in case they have that musty or wood smell. 

Multi-port USB charger - one with at least 5 ports and a short power cord.  Between cell phones, tablets, cameras, etc and only one or two AC plugs in the cabin, you need to maximize your charging capabilities.

We prefer the Anker brand but I'm sure others are fine.  The one we travel with is $23 on Amazon right now.

I like to use chair clips to keep towels on the loungers and out of the sand and on the pool deck, so they don't blow off!  I also bring Lysol disinfectant wipes to wipe down heavily used areas in the cabin (tv remote/ door handles/ etc.  The room stewards do an amazing job, however this just gives me more peace of mind!  Room service is wonderful, however there is a charge on RCI, unless you are suite level, but the amount you order is unlimited and it is one flat fee.  There are some Room service menu items that are an upcharge (in addition to the flat rate).  These boards are a fabulous resource and everyone is a wealth of good information!!  Enjoy your family cruise (and Disney)!!

This may not really be an option since you’re spending quite a bit of time in Disney before, but it took me a few cruises to realize I don’t need many shorts and T-shirts for casualwear during the day. We tend to spend most of our days at the pool so just swimsuits and coverups, and then typically go straight into our dinner clothes. When our kids were younger sometimes they would change into more casual clothes after dinner, but usually we just stay in the same clothes all night.  

Also, depending on how your feet like heels you may want to limit the amount of higher ones. Not sure how big the ship you are on is, but there is a lot of walking. Sometimes I’ll wear more dressy and higher heels for a formal dinner, but then will typically go back and change into something more comfortable. But one of my best friends jokes she was born in heels and can walk for hours in stilettos if you are like that then this doesn’t apply. 

Have a great trip!!

3 minutes ago, cindivan said:

We tend to spend most of our days at the pool so just swimsuits and coverups, and then typically go straight into our dinner clothes. 

One of my favorite things about these boards is hearing how different everyone is. Personally, we never go to the pools or touch a swimsuit unless we are at a port and have a water destination. I imagine it is because as a Floridian I am in a pool or at the beach 365 days a year so I tend to do all the other things on a cruise and leave the pool deck for the sun lovers stuck inside for the winter. 

Either way, I agree that you won't go through as many clothes as you think you will. I am a habitual overpacker but with limited space, multiple people, and all of your Disney clothes, you might feel overwhelmed on the cruise. 

4 hours ago, SherieW321 said:

One of the weird things we always pack is a small rechargeable battery operated fan. Not one of those dinky foam things you carry with you, but a small 5 inch battery fan. It sounds crazy but now we refer to it as our MVP fan. Of course the ship has AC but sometimes when you aren't moving, the air can get a little stuffy or warm. Especially if you several people in one room trying to take showers and get ready. Even in our balcony room, we have our little fan to sit on the desk for when I put on makeup or if you are trying to cool down quickly before putting on your formal clothes. (I told you it sounds crazy - here is the link to the one we use)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1VZ00E/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1O2UMU2OJV8H7&psc=1

We also always bring extra hangers. There are rarely enough for what we want to hang up to decrease wrinkles so even tossing a few regular hangers or buying travel hangers is a life saver. 

Thank you, we can't even sleep without a fan at home, not sure how I didn't think of one.  hangers.. they are now on my list

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

Royal ships don't have public laundries onboard, so if you get the chance do some laundry at your Disney hotel before you drive down to the cruise.  Would suggest that you have two sets of luggage but with four people in a car that might be a stretch.  At least you can leave the Disney stuff in the parking lot.

You can save quite a bit of money on the Florida toll system by buying a Sunpass sticker in most groceries/convenience stores when you get into Florida.  This can save you 25% over getting billed by license plate and you won't have to go through the cash plazas to pay cash (and some places are license or Sunpass only).

We've never used shoe hangers or magnetic hooks.  But ships have relatively small closets and very few drawers (tight for 2 people, let alone 4).  Extra clothes can go in your luggage under the beds.  Don't bring multiple outfits for each day!

Yes we plan on doing it the Friday as we have that day free (aside from a Character breakfast in the morning)  will look into the Sunpass thank you.  

1 hour ago, cindivan said:

We tend to spend most of our days at the pool so just swimsuits and cover ups,

This is us!  We cut our packing in half once we realized this. 

I spent a little extra on cute cover ups that could pass for a dress when I wanted to grab lunch. Now even on port days, some how or another we always end up at the beach or pool so we wear bathing suits and dresses as cover ups. Hubbie just throws tshirt on w/ swim trunks.  I do pack him an extra pair of shorts for after the "wet" excursions.  He loathes walking around shopping or riding in the car with wet swim trunks.

No need to bring hangers from home.  Ask your cabin steward for additional hangers. They will be glad to give you more hangers.

My DH leaves his dress shirts, polos and pants on the hangers and under the cleaner's plastic.  He folds them in half and places them in the suitcase. When we get there he just hangs them up. NO WRINKLES.  I love it! 

Edited by cynt
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cynt said:

No need to bring hangers from home.  Ask your cabin steward for additional hangers. They will be glad to give you more hangers.

That is true - don't pack extras if you are already overloaded. We carry our travel hangers with us out of habit since we stay in a lot VRBO or Airbnb's that don't have daily service for us to ask for the extras.