QE/Q.V. In big waves

Windsurfboy

I sure did on both ship’s Maiden TAs. We were rocking and rolling-and waves were slamming against the rear windows in the restaurants. Commodore Warwick and his beautiful wife were at a big table right up against the window on QE. There were some staff contretemps and crashes with trays and orders! There is a photo which many bought showing the QV with her entire bow section - up to the base of the superstructure- under water. One night, a section of the ceiling came down in the Commodore Club; as a friend and I were leaving the Britannia after lunch on QE a bit of ceiling also became alarmingly disloged- just as the Captain came on the PA system to assure everyone that the ship was OK! There was a lot of laughter when the captain on QV said she did not ship water. We  were crossing with QE2 and there were a few times when QE2 pitched up such that you could see under QE2’s keel. Woo Hoo!😃

• Like 2

We have been on both in enormous seas! It looks as if our personal storm is going to be with us for yet another voyage! 💨 🌊 Particular memories come to mind of QE Christmas cruise 2013 and QV westbound TA January 2018.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

We have been on both in enormous seas! It looks as if our personal storm is going to be with us for yet another voyage! 💨 🌊 Particular memories come to mind of QE Christmas cruise 2013 and QV westbound TA January 2018.

ssssssoooo how was the ride in heavy seas....this is what the poster is asking i think 

I have been on each ship in Force 9/10 with about 8m waves, and it was fine. I doubt 10m would be much worse. I think it probably depends on the direction of the waves relative to the ship. If they come from the side, causing a lot of rolling, that may be more sick-making.

We were on Caronia in the April before she left Cunard and went on to become Saga Ruby. We hit a terrible storm and huge waves across the BoB heading back to Southampton and the Captain closed the ship down and ordered everyone to go to their cabins for their own safety. Afterwards  we were told by the Captain that it was the worst he had ever sailed in and had sent one of the junior officers on deck to measure the gale force with a machine and it was higher than the top reading of 12 and he had a photograph taken of the officer holding the machine and he would send a copy to every cabin as a memento. Of course Caronia was only a small ship and we went back to our cabins and lay under our bedding as the room was smashed to pieces TV and video off the wall and smashed and everything loose was damaged on the floor.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

We were on the QE in January 2018 and it was rough enough for the Captain to cancel Bermuda (winds/sea too strong) and instead we headed for the Azores.  Never been so glad to get onto dry land!!  Captain announced that virtually the whole ship had disembarked within an hour of reaching port!!  There was a lot of rolling and some pitching, enough for DH to actually comment and he usually doesn't mind.

However, we made it to our destination in one piece so it turned out all right 🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Underwatr said:

We rode QV from Los Angeles to Hawaii in 2012. Our stateroom was fairly far forward and we could feel the ship pitching as well as hear the bow slamming into the waves. I think QM2's bow shape is better for jaunty seas.

Yes, I failed to say what was probably the most important thing. We were near the middle of the ship, albeit on Deck 7,  But I like to see the horizon, and the waves don't seem too high.  I'm sure your position on the ship makes a huge difference to what you feel (and hear) in a storm.

• Like 1

Have you seen that RCCL have amended their itinerary for Explorer over the weekend seemingly to avoid the storm. They extended the cruise by staying down in Malaga allowing the storm/hurricane to pass now arriving Southampton 3 days late thus the following TA reduced duration too.

In 2018 we were sailing alongside QE through the Bay of Biscay on QV bound for South America and we could gauge the winds by her pitch and roll.  We docked in Praia de Vittoria  overnight but could not get out of the port until 1pm the next day due to the winds, we missed Bermuda and next saw land 10 days after Southampton in Port Canaveral. It was nice to see land and walk around as we had not been allowed out on the decks for several days.

We were fortunate and by shaving half a day off Charleston on the return went to Bermuda and also called in P  de V. 

On QE Christmas cruise earlier we had waves way up the Britannia Restaurant stern window at lunch.

Hope the January crossing is a little better.

QV in the Bay of Biscay.  All three Queens left Southampton at the same time.   As we sailed down the river on QV the Captain addressed the ship.  He strongly suggested that we take any anti-seasickness measures and prepare for a nasty couple of nights.  That was the last meal I had for four days.  He did comment that she was a stout ship and should come through fine.

I remember looking at the QM2 with a feeling of dread as we passed her.  I just knew their ride would be better than mine.  I was right about that. 

We were in an aft QG cabin and had a following sea.  It was a rough ride.  

We sailed out of Southampton in a force 10 and sailed down towards Madeira as a even bigger storm was south of Ireland.

We carried on at 22 knots with waves hitting the library windows on deck 8, the bow on occasion dipping below the waves 

yes there was pitching but being an ocean liner she was fine 

There are some windows on deck two forward with games tables you get a splendid view there of the power of the waves

Edited by Officeboy
  • Like 1

Obviously QE and QV are not going to handle weather like QM2 does - they are (albeit modified and strengthened) Vista class cruise ships and QM2 is a whole different species (not just a true liner but one of the best weather riding civilian ships on the seas). 

11 hours ago, Officeboy said:

We sailed out of Southampton in a force 10 and sailed down towards Madeira as a even bigger storm was south of Ireland.

We carried on at 22 knots with waves hitting the library windows on deck 8, the bow on occasion dipping below the waves 

yes there was pitching but being an ocean liner she was fine 

There are some windows on deck two forward with games tables you get a splendid view there of the power of the waves

Further to this post, I omitted that we were sailing to New York on QM2  November 2009 We headed straight down the coast rather than across to the States because of the autumn Atlantic  storms 

Edited by Officeboy

I am currently on board QV and looking at the forecast it is set to be even worse coming home than it was on the 3rd Nov. It was quiet bad for 2 days getting across the Solent and Bay of Biscay with people saying it had not been this bad before. For so long  I know it can change but 9,8 meter waives is not something I am looking forward to in any shape or form.  PS currently so windy in Lanzarote we’re  waiting a extra  hour before we sail away

7AE7E274-DE84-4BD2-BDDC-BC590FCC5827.png