I'm surprised that people complain about NCL onboard added costs.

I have noticed over the years that one of the biggest complaints about NCL is that there are so many extra costs beyond the base cruise price.

Personally, I find the NCL cruise prices rather refreshing.  To be honest, as a Solo traveler that doesn't drink much and that doesn't desire upscale dining, Internet or the onboard entertainment, NCL allows me to cruise inexpensively and to travel the way I choose.  I take cruises to relax, not worry about cooking, reading a good book and just be on the ocean.

For those that want more, they have the opportunity to purchase it as an additional cost, which is great.  I probably would not be able to cruise Solo if it wasn't for NCL.

I will be on NCL's transatlantic 14 day cruise from Barcelona to Miami in a week or so.  I can't wait!  Just what I need right now.

Just my humble opinion. Not attacking anyone!  Life is all about choice and the more choices that we have available to us, the better.

What do you think?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

In ports, if possible, I normally just walk around the port area of town, stop in a small cafe, get a beer, maybe rent a bike or just find a bench in the shade and watch the people.

BUT, if I want to purchase an excursion, then I'm thrilled that the choice is available to me!  I am of the opinion that planning every port visit in minute detail is not much fun.  I would rather see real people and see little visited places in port than get on a bus, go where everyone else goes and snap some picture that I never look at again.

But, as I keep saying, everyone should do what feels right for them.  And NCL let's you do that.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Me too.  I have never understood that.  I don't notice having to pay for any more on NCL then I do on any other line.   

I agree, I fact, I probably could not take the cruises I do without the CHOICE of being able to pay for the services I desire.  As a Solo cruiser, no other cruise line offers lower "Single Supplement" fares than NCL.

Edited by The Wanderer_112358

I'm the same as you except I'm not a solo traveler and I think it's really stupid they don't allow us to bring bottled water on board or at least have it for sale at a reasonable price.  Otherwise, I'd be upset about paying for alcohol I don't drink, wifi I don't need or want.

I agree, I prepay the DSC & when I get onboard, barely spend any money. I also enjoy the relaxing, doing no cooking, and people watching, ocean viewing, that being on a ship allows me. I'm glad the things are there if I so need/want but don't feel as if I have to purchase anything. But as you said, to each his own.

We thought the Haven trip we took was a great bargain after staying at a moderate resort at WDW a couple of months ago!  Holy cow, talk about charges.  WDW does NOT nickel and dime you, they $100 and $1000 you for everything!  🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, worktocruise610 said:

I agree, I prepay the DSC & when I get onboard, barely spend any money. I also enjoy the relaxing, doing no cooking, and people watching, ocean viewing, that being on a ship allows me. I'm glad the things are there if I so need/want but don't feel as if I have to purchase anything. But as you said, to each his own.

If I can travel two whole weeks alone, out on the ocean, seeing ports in other countries, in my own private room/cabin, with all of my meals included, I'm thrilled!

And all of that for less than $75 dollars a night!  I have NOTHING to complain about!

My Solo Barcelona to Miami Transatlantic Cruise is less than $1000 dollars after all fees paid for an Inside Cabin. 

I wish that NCL would build a ship with no water slide, no climbing wall, fewer dining rooms and more lower priced cabins.  I think that people would flock to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

I have noticed over the years that one of the biggest complaints about NCL is that there are so many extra costs beyond the base cruise price.

Personally, I find the NCL cruise prices rather refreshing.  To be honest, as a Solo traveler that doesn't drink much and that doesn't desire upscale dining, Internet or the onboard entertainment, NCL allows me to cruise inexpensively and to travel the way I choose.  I take cruises to relax, not worry about cooking, reading a good book and just be on the ocean.

For those that want more, they have the opportunity to purchase it as an additional cost, which is great.  I probably would not be able to cruise Solo if it wasn't for NCL.

I will be on NCL's transatlantic 14 day cruise from Barcelona to Miami in a week or so.  I can't wait!  Just what I need right now.

Just my humble opinion. Not attacking anyone!  Life is all about choice and the more choices that we have available to us, the better.

What do you think?

49 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Me too.  I have never understood that.  I don't notice having to pay for any more on NCL then I do on any other line.   

What you have to remember is that most of these complaints have nothing to do with these items or "nickel & diming"... What is typically behind this is that people go onboard and WANT $$$$$$$$$$$$, but they only have a budget that can afford $$$$.

The complaints are really about the difference between their wants and their means.

• Like 3

Hummm, choices? Agree all pax have the "choice" to pick and choose what is best for them.  It's easier to complain though.

Are the perks actually free NO, the cost is built in. Too many it makes sense to pay the extra (gratuity)  as opposed to paying alacarte in Specialty Restaurants or buying your drinks individually .

I cringe when "nickel and dime" props up. Funny how many know exactly what they pay and others are alarmed. Nothing is hidden, well some will argue how the gratuities/fees are dispersed is hidden. 

Edited by beerman2

I agree...mostly.  The one piece I wish NCL would still drill down more into is the Sail Away cabins.  The "perks" for Free At Sea are not important to me, but selecting my cabin does matter.  A slightly higher price point that includes cabin selection but does not have perks would be my absolute sweet spot.

But yes, as a fellow solo traveler and non-drinker I love the ala carte approach.

16 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

If I can travel two whole weeks alone, out on the ocean, seeing ports in other countries, in my own private room/cabin, with all of my meals included, I'm thrilled

I wish that NCL would build a ship with no water slide, no climbing wall, fewer dining rooms and more lower priced cabins.  I think that people would flock to it.

That sounds like a perfect vacation to me also. The price you got is awesome & I would also prefer a ship with none of the extras, remind me of the ones we sailed when I first started cruising over 20 years ago. No frills, but the best vacations I've had

20 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Back to this topic, I think that older people would LOVE a ship like those that existed 100 years ago.  Simple, but refined.  Where you could have more quiet time and less drinking, rushing, eating and indulging.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, worktocruise610 said:

That sounds like a perfect vacation to me also. The price you got is awesome & I would also prefer a ship with none of the extras, remind me of the ones we sailed when I first started cruising over 20 years ago. No frills, but the best vacations I've had

You beat me to it!  Thank you!  *smile*

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Back to this topic, I think that older people would LOVE a ship like those that existed 100 years ago.  Simple, but refined.  Where you could have more quiet time and less drinking, rushing, eating and indulging.

I've always loved those ships. I admit I didn't do the "less drinking" part (lmao) but the others, absolutely. It was relaxing, calming and soothing. Being on the water, no tv, no newspapers, no outside world. Really does a lot for recharging yourself from the day to day of life.

Edited by worktocruise610

When I get on board:

- Turn off phone for 2 weeks!

- Never turn on the TV.

- Spend all day out of my cabin with a good book.

- I don't mind if ports change or a deleted. It's all good!

- I would eat most meals in the MDR if I could get a private table.  I'm SO TIRED of, "So, you are traveling alone"? or "Where are you from"?

- I sleep like a baby at night, even in an Inside Cabin.

- Nice food, good book, good bottle of red wine and no wifi, phone car or responsibilities. Bliss.

- And no spouse.  *grin*

Edited by The Wanderer_112358
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, worktocruise610 said:

I've always loved those ships. I admit I didn't do the "less drinking" part (lmao) but the others, absolutely. It was relaxing, calming and soothing. Being on the water, no tv, no newspapers, no outside world. Really does a lot for recharging yourself from the day to day of life.

We can make our modern cruise close to that old style cruising if we try hard enough.

Just avoid the crowds, do what they don't want to and be yourself.

I avoid summer or Spring Break cruises like the plague, unless it is South America!  I travel when and where others don't want to if I can.