I'm surprised that people complain about NCL onboard added costs.

3 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

When I get on board:

- Turn off phone for 2 weeks!

- Never turn on TV.

- Spend all day out of my cabin with a good book.

- I don't mind if ports change or a deleted. It's all good!

- I would eat most meals in the MDR if I could get a private table.  I'm SO TIRED of, "So, you are traveling alone"? or "Where are you from"?

- I sleep like a baby at night, even in an Inside Cabin.

- Nice food, good book, good bottle of red wine and no wifi, phone car or responsibilities. Bliss.

- And no spouse.  *grin*

Sure, but not everyone can nor wants to sail bare bones and that’s where NCL gets you. I sail many lines and NCL’s internet prices are silly stupid high. Their shore excursion prices are higher than other lines, can’t carry on water but they charge really high prices for bottled water. Charging for Go Karts, Charging for Laser tag, charging charging charging ...... NCL is my go to line but many of the gripes are warranted when compared to other lines. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Sure, but not everyone can nor wants to sail bare bones and that’s where NCL gets you. I sail many lines and NCL’s internet prices are silly stupid high. Their shore excursion prices are higher than other lines, can’t carry on water but they charge really high prices for bottled water. Charging for Go Karts, Charging for Laser tag, charging charging charging ...... NCL is my go to line but many of the gripes are warranted when compared to other lines. 

I don't see my travel style  as "bare bones" at all!  If I was a millionaire I would still travel this way.

And I understand completely that my way of traveling isn't for everyone.  That is the whole point of this thread.  We are all different, which is WONDERFUL!  NCL gives us the chance to do it a little bit our own way.

If you want to do those things you mentioned? Fine, then pay extra for them.  I shouldn't have to.

Peace

Edited by The Wanderer_112358
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

We can make our modern cruise close to that old style cruising if we try hard enough.

Just avoid the crowds, do what they don't want to and be yourself.

I avoid summer or Spring Break cruises like the plague, unless it is South America!  I travel when and where others don't want to if I can.

And I do on every cruise I take. I don't really hang out at the pool (too fair), I usually find a quiet area to hang out, or if I feel like socializing, a not too crowded bar in the shade (or inside) where I can strike a conversation with the bartender or anyone that comes along. That's what I've loved about cruising, meeting people from all over the world, getting to know them, their customs, their country. And I also travel non peak seasons for the less crowded, less children type cruise. In my opinion, cruising is the best vacation, but also, price wise, the best way to spend my money.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Back to this topic, I think that older people would LOVE a ship like those that existed 100 years ago.  Simple, but refined.  Where you could have more quiet time and less drinking, rushing, eating and indulging.

They could build a ship like that, but NCL does not want passengers that come on board and don't spend any additional $$$

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, adam_s_allen said:

For the most part I agree. People are going to complain either way. Some of the additional costs are ridiculous though if you ask me. Such as charging extra for certain menu items in the specialty restaurants. 

We just sailed Joy and there were no extra charges for any menu items in the specialty restaurants. Is this a new thing?

Just now, valleyvillage said:

We just sailed Joy and there were no extra charges for any menu items in the specialty restaurants. Is this a new thing?

From the live threads of the Encore sailing there are up charge menu items in the specialties, at least at Ocean Blue.

2 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

I have noticed over the years that one of the biggest complaints about NCL is that there are so many extra costs beyond the base cruise price.

Personally, I find the NCL cruise prices rather refreshing.  To be honest, as a Solo traveler that doesn't drink much and that doesn't desire upscale dining, Internet or the onboard entertainment, NCL allows me to cruise inexpensively and to travel the way I choose.  I take cruises to relax, not worry about cooking, reading a good book and just be on the ocean.

For those that want more, they have the opportunity to purchase it as an additional cost, which is great.  I probably would not be able to cruise Solo if it wasn't for NCL.

I will be on NCL's transatlantic 14 day cruise from Barcelona to Miami in a week or so.  I can't wait!  Just what I need right now.

Just my humble opinion. Not attacking anyone!  Life is all about choice and the more choices that we have available to us, the better.

What do you think?

IDK Wanderer, no offense but I'm not sure you're for real.  You read a lot like an NCL  PR ad campaign.  But, just in case, I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

IDK Wanderer, no offense but I'm not sure you're for real.  You read a lot like an NCL  PR ad campaign.  But, just in case, I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Just because people don't think like you does not mean that they don't exist.

Yes, most people are like you.  More the pity.

2 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

There was nothing in my reply that indicated how I think.  For all you know, I agree with your original post.  What and how I think has no bearing on questioning if you are for real.  And as I said, if you are, I hope you enjoy your cruise.  That's sincere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

I don't think most people are unhappy with NCL. I don't even think most members of Cruise Critic are unhappy with NCL. I think that most POSTERS are unhappy - because human nature drives people who are unhappy to "vent".  Just look at the full NCL ships that leave ports every single week.  That, in addition to my own observation that most people I've witnessed on my NCL cruises are having a "good time", is my evidence that "most" people are not unhappy with NCL or NCL's supposed "nickle & diming."  There's maybe 100-ish posters (if that) that are your chronic complainers - a VERY small cross section of NCL customers. (Also note that with all their dissatisfaction, so many "unhappy" folks still frequent the NCL boards.)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I don't think most people are unhappy with NCL. I don't even think most members of Cruise Critic are unhappy with NCL. I think that most POSTERS are unhappy - because human nature drives people who are unhappy to "vent".  Just look at the full NCL ships that leave ports every single week.  That, in addition to my own observation that most people I've witnessed on my NCL cruises are having a "good time", is my evidence that "most" people are not unhappy with NCL or NCL's supposed "nickle & diming."  There's maybe 100-ish posters (if that) that are your chronic complainers - a VERY small cross section of NCL customers. (Also note that with all their dissatisfaction, so many "unhappy" folks still frequent the NCL boards.)

Very well said.  

I agree. While I do think the prices of their onboard products and services are beyond rip off levels, I travel solo from time to time and am always able to find a last minute sail away steal. 13 day cruise for only $449. 17 day Tahiti $499, 16 day canal $449. Only on Norwegian. 

So, they could lower their prices onboard and have a smaller profit margin but higher volume of sales or they can keep prices high and have high profit margin on lower sales. I currently don't spend any money onboard their ships, so I know I am probably not their target market, but not because I can't afford it. I can..I just don't value a beverage at $15 or a steak dinner at $60. I can do better at Morton's or Ruth's Chris. So, for now, I take the leftover cabins with the last minute booking and zero supplement. I've yet to have a sailaway cabin that I would consider poor. Sounds like a win for NCL and for me.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I agree. While I do think the prices of their onboard products and services are beyond rip off levels, I travel solo from time to time and am always able to find a last minute sail away steal. 13 day cruise for only $449. 17 day Tahiti $499, 16 day canal $449. Only on Norwegian. 

So, they could lower their prices onboard and have a smaller profit margin but higher volume of sales or they can keep prices high and have high profit margin on lower sales. I currently don't spend any money onboard their ships, so I know I am probably not their target market, but not because I can't afford it. I can..I just don't value a beverage at $15 or a steak dinner at $60. I can do better at Morton's or Ruth's Chris. So, for now, I take the leftover cabins with the last minute booking and zero supplement. I've yet to have a sailaway cabin that I would consider poor. Sounds like a win for NCL and for me.

I agree completely!

My OBCs are always ONLY 

• Rarely spa services - priced about what a luxury hotel would charge
  • sometimes ncl excursions either for price (yes, sometimes they can be a deal) or peace of mind—knowing I have the option to go independent one way or another;
  • $5-$10 in drink taxes or less - dumb but not enough to worry about
  • cruise next certificates
  • extra tip vouchers because I want the miles or I didn’t bring enough cash, or both.

As in every resort or hotel, there are lots & lots of ways to choose to spend your $$.  Many OPTIONAL items are very overpriced.  You see the same thing at Disney or other hotels/resorts.  

As others have said, no one forces you to spend the $$.  Go-karts?  Yes, very pricey.  Not worth it?  Don’t ride.  Overpriced specialty dining?  Used to be MDR was only choice, there are multiple MDRs, buffet, noodle place, etc - free.  At home you can choose to go out to each someplace expensive or eat home (free-ish)), here at least free means you don’t have to do anything but eat, no cooking or cleanup, which is better than home.

Laundry?  Ridiculous except for the $20 mid-cruise special, which is $10 with gold status, and free with platinum.  Better than hotels!

It’s a business, not a charity.  I get sick of being hustled by the art auction people (never been to one) and the spa people, but try walking down any boardwalk!  

As others have said, assuming you prepay your DSC, you can’t get off the ship with big fat goose-egg for a final bill.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

When I get on board:

- Turn off phone for 2 weeks!

- Never turn on the TV.

- Spend all day out of my cabin with a good book.

- I don't mind if ports change or a deleted. It's all good!

- I would eat most meals in the MDR if I could get a private table.  I'm SO TIRED of, "So, you are traveling alone"? or "Where are you from"?

- I sleep like a baby at night, even in an Inside Cabin.

- Nice food, good book, good bottle of red wine and no wifi, phone car or responsibilities. Bliss.

- And no spouse.  *grin*

I am a solo traveler often and always eat in the MDR at a private table.  Never been asked if I wanted to share and if I was, I would say no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, debenson0723 said:

I am a solo traveler often and always eat in the MDR at a private table.  Never been asked if I wanted to share and if I was, I would say no.

Totally agree. No question regarding "would you like to share a table?" I do think some are asked if they want to share a table. 

My answer would be "no" as well, unless I've met someone I want to share a table with, in which case, it's a table for 2, please. 

4 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

If people on board are having a good time and are enjoying themselves, then why do so many people on board seem to be in such a hurry, very anxious and so grumpy?  On their cruise, if they miss one port of call, they seem to lose all sanity.

Maybe it is society as a whole now.  I don't know.

Again, just my perspective.

Edited by The Wanderer_112358
  • Like 3

NCL presents itself as a low cost line - and it is, if the extras are avoided.  Th3 problem is that, once on board, people find themselves dissatisfied with what that low fare provides.  They want better food and service than comes in the MDR - they do want a few drinks, and they decide (logically or not) that they “need” internet.  Then they find that the bargain cruise they thought they were getting was a lot more expensive.

Of course they complain.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

NCL presents itself as a low cost line - and it is, if the extras are avoided.  Th3 problem is that, once on board, people find themselves dissatisfied with what that low fare provides.  They want better food and service than comes in the MDR - they do want a few drinks, and they decide (logically or not) that they “need” internet.  Then they find that the bargain cruise they thought they were getting was a lot more expensive.

Of course they complain.

And that is who's fault?  Yep.  You guessed it.

11 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I'm 50/50 and see both sides. Bare bones on NCL includes a lot. Shows that are off broadway quality. I like the food. I think it is awesome that they include o'sheans/the local or w/e it's called for free 24/7. I really like spice O2 being free. Great value imo. And I've cruised so much that I have stopped doing excursions. So those prices don't bother me. 

After walking for hours on shore, I just wished they had a sauna or steam room for free without buying a $200+ spa pass. That's my only gripe. But they are a business, so I get it. I don't think princess, holland, RCL, or carnival charges you for one or the other to the best of my recollection. But I haven't sailed on every single ship on all of those cruise lines. Correct me if I am wrong. 

This is one of those threads where people only want to see black and white.  Yes, of course you can cruise NCL without eating at specialty restaurants or indirectly buying the beverage package with the "free" promos.

The issue is how cruising and especially NCL is creating more and more fee based venues whether it be eating, entertainment, or lounging, etc.  You don't have to sign up for any of them.  However, I remember when ALL entertainment venues were included in the cruise price. My last NCL cruise there was upcharge for a magic show.  What are all these new restaurants NCL is creating on board?  Fee based.  If NCL announced 2 new MDR or fare included restaurants on board, it would be refreshing.  More and more venues require upcharges from go carts to lounge chairs.  I think that is the motive of the complaints about upcharging.  We normally splurge and take advantage of the fee based venues.  However afterwards, I tell myself we did not have to do it.  None of us have to pay extra but IMHO its fair (criticism) to point out all the upcharge that is all over the ship.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, erdoran said:

My OBCs are always ONLY 

• Rarely spa services - priced about what a luxury hotel would charge
  • sometimes ncl excursions either for price (yes, sometimes they can be a deal) or peace of mind—knowing I have the option to go independent one way or another;
  • $5-$10 in drink taxes or less - dumb but not enough to worry about
  • cruise next certificates
  • extra tip vouchers because I want the miles or I didn’t bring enough cash, or both.

As in every resort or hotel, there are lots & lots of ways to choose to spend your $$.  Many OPTIONAL items are very overpriced.  You see the same thing at Disney or other hotels/resorts.  

As others have said, no one forces you to spend the $$.  Go-karts?  Yes, very pricey.  Not worth it?  Don’t ride.  Overpriced specialty dining?  Used to be MDR was only choice, there are multiple MDRs, buffet, noodle place, etc - free.  At home you can choose to go out to each someplace expensive or eat home (free-ish)), here at least free means you don’t have to do anything but eat, no cooking or cleanup, which is better than home.

Laundry?  Ridiculous except for the $20 mid-cruise special, which is $10 with gold status, and free with platinum.  Better than hotels!

It’s a business, not a charity.  I get sick of being hustled by the art auction people (never been to one) and the spa people, but try walking down any boardwalk!  

As others have said, assuming you prepay your DSC, you can’t get off the ship with big fat goose-egg for a final bill.  

Ooh, I meant you CAn get off the ship-however a later post reminded me of my mandatory wifi so in my case I will probably always have that one, although since I’ll be retired by my next cruise (I think) I may see if we can stick to the 250 mins....

10 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

This is one of those threads where people only want to see black and white.  Yes, of course you can cruise NCL without eating at specialty restaurants or indirectly buying the beverage package with the "free" promos.

The issue is how cruising and especially NCL is creating more and more fee based venues whether it be eating, entertainment, or lounging, etc.  You don't have to sign up for any of them.  However, I remember when ALL entertainment venues were included in the cruise price. My last NCL cruise there was upcharge for a magic show.  What are all these new restaurants NCL is creating on board?  Fee based.  If NCL announced 2 new MDR or fare included restaurants on board, it would be refreshing.  More and more venues require upcharges from go carts to lounge chairs.  I think that is the motive of the complaints about upcharging.  We normally splurge and take advantage of the fee based venues.  However afterwards, I tell myself we did not have to do it.  None of us have to pay extra but IMHO its fair (criticism) to point out all the upcharge that is all over the ship.

Magic show upcharge?  Tell me more!!!!!

Also someone on my roll call for Jan Bliss said there is now an upcharge for surf & turf in Ocean Blue & Cagney’s, and for a whole lobster in Cagney’s, so be aware and budget/order accordingly.

Yeah, I don’t like that there are so many upcharge items either, but from my first cruise in 1988 I’ve always felt like my cruise fare was like a ticket to a money grab, and really just the down payment on the bill - but for me, I am still happy with my perks and carefully-selected extras.

• Like 1