Qualifying for platinum status

lorri111

Hey, it turned out to be an interesting topic! I have emailed princess and will post on what they say - might be a while till they reply but I prefer to get these things in writing and I hate sorting this stuff on the phone, queuing for ages and then hoping to get someone who knows what they are doing.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

You would be ruby on your next cruise and on completion of that cruise you will then get credit for your 6th and you will become platinum.  You start getting platinum benefits on your next booking.

You're wrong.  Platinum status is effective on the 6th cruise credit, not after the 6th cruise credit.  As in, on my 6th cruise, I sailed as Platinum for the first time.  (Which I did, because the double-credit for solo sailings had not gone into effect yet.)

3 hours ago, lorri111 said:

Hey, it turned out to be an interesting topic! I have emailed princess and will post on what they say - might be a while till they reply but I prefer to get these things in writing and I hate sorting this stuff on the phone, queuing for ages and then hoping to get someone who knows what they are doing.

I went into my Captain's Circle account and counted the number of cruises I completed before I was given platinum status and I had completed 5, so on my 6th cruise I had the platinum benefits.  I was relying on Princess' language on their web site and they specify how many cruise credits you need for the next level.  They say it takes 6 to 15 cruise credits, not cruises and I can't remember now where I read in fine print that you don't get credit for a cruise until after it is completed.

Whatever, it looks like you should be platinum on your next cruise if Princess is assigning credits up front.  Enjoy your cruise.

If you are now platinum and have paid for travel insurance through Princess, you would be automatically upgraded to a higher level of insurance.  So, if it were me, I would contact Princess by phone and straighten it out so you would get the insurance  perk now. 

1 hour ago, jeriram said:

If you are now platinum and have paid for travel insurance through Princess, you would be automatically upgraded to a higher level of insurance.  So, if it were me, I would contact Princess by phone and straighten it out so you would get the insurance  perk now. 

Never buy travel insurance, it comes with my credit card

8 hours ago, lorri111 said:

I just did online chat with someone at Princess and they updated it immediately - much quicker than waiting for email or waiting on phone!

My apologies if I added to your confusion.  :classic_sad:  It wasn't until I decided to double check myself and went into my account and added up the cruises it took for me to get to platinum that I saw that indeed, it is on your 6th cruise that you get to the higher level.  Princess needs to clean up their language on the Captain's Circle website and get rid of the term 'cruise credit' and just leave the wording 6th to 15th cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.  BTW where did you find an online chat?  I don't see it on the website.

3 minutes ago, Buffy56 said:

If I understand correctly this would mean that if I booked a suite for my first 4 cruises ( a total of 8 credits), I would still have to book one more cruise before I would be platinum?

you would be platinum after your 3rd cruise in a suite ...

if you sailed solo in a suite, after your 2nd cruise ...

17 hours ago, jeriram said:

The ibsurance upgrade is a perk when one reaches Ruby 

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

My apologies if I added to your confusion.  :classic_sad:  It wasn't until I decided to double check myself and went into my account and added up the cruises it took for me to get to platinum that I saw that indeed, it is on your 6th cruise that you get to the higher level.  Princess needs to clean up their language on the Captain's Circle website and get rid of the term 'cruise credit' and just leave the wording 6th to 15th cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.  BTW where did you find an online chat?  I don't see it on the website.

I sent an email to 'info@princesscruises.com.au' and got an automated response saying would get reply in 5 days but also gave a link to talk to a live chat

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buffy56 said:

If I understand correctly this would mean that if I booked a suite for my first 4 cruises ( a total of 8 credits), I would still have to book one more cruise before I would be platinum?

I think you would need to log into your CC account and add up how many cruises they have credited to your account.  The term cruise credit makes it somewhat confusing.  I would think if you got double credit for each cruise you would have been eligible for platinum on your 3rd suite cruise but who knows for sure?  :classic_huh:

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Except it is not always your 6th cruise that makes you platinum as you can see above. Solo travelers can do it quicker as can suite passengers.

8 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Except it is not always your 6th cruise that makes you platinum as you can see above. Solo travelers can do it quicker as can suite passengers.

Understood.  That was the gist of my comments in post #37.  What was/is causing some confusion is how Princess interchanges the significance of the terms 'cruises' and 'cruise credits'.

Again, According to Princess' web site, "You can reach each tier by the number of completed cruises or days sailed, whichever comes first! You will earn an additional cruise credit for sailing as single occupancy or for booking and sailing in a full suite"  But they give the credit at the start of the cruise, not after completion...  Very inconsistent!

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Understood.  That was the gist of my comments in post #37.  What was/is causing some confusion is how Princess interchanges the significance of the terms 'cruises' and 'cruise credits'.

Again, According to Princess' web site, "You can reach each tier by the number of completed cruises or days sailed, whichever comes first! You will earn an additional cruise credit for sailing as single occupancy or for booking and sailing in a full suite"  But they give the credit at the start of the cruise, not after completion...  Very inconsistent!

No -- the credits are only given at the completion of a cruise.

They do show up in your Captain's Circle account once you book a cruise as being future credits.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

No -- the credits are only given at the completion of a cruise.

They do show up in your Captain's Circle account once you book a cruise as being future credits.

therein is the confusion ... solid post