a worrying time

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

That picture is shocking. It was so bad here today, I didn't go outside at all. I have had washing drying everywhere inside, even our garage which is attached to the house smells of smoke. 

Wauchope has been far worse than Port in regards to the smoke, but Andy works in Port and said that it was really bad there today. Every morning I open my blinds hoping I will see the sun and blue sky, fingers crossed we get the predicted rain on Sunday.

Locals are suffering headaches, breathing difficulties and burning watering eyes.

It sounds dreadful, Chez.

One thing I've never seen here is the affordable anti-pollution face masks that are quite in parts of Asia when the pollution is bad. There are masks available online but most aren't cheap, although I did see one that claimed to have washable filters which would make it cost effective.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Just now, mtn_couple said:

There’s a video on the “other social media” of P&O’s Explorer coming back from Moreton Island, they’re blowing the fog horn constantly because the smoke is so thick! 

I’m headed to Moreton Island on Carnival next week, hoping it’ll blow out to sea by then, of they’ll change the itinerary and take us south instead 

8 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Chez, It has cleared up here today in Nelson Bay. I hope the southerly has reached you and cleared away the smoke.

A much better day here today, i have the doors open😀

Wind is up, but not too much and it is cooler than expected. Feels like rain is coming, but we dont want the lightening!!

The wind must be pushing all the smoke out to sea, sorry cruisers!!

5 hours ago, cheznandy said:

A much better day here today, i have the doors open😀

Wind is up, but not too much and it is cooler than expected. Feels like rain is coming, but we dont want the lightening!!

The wind must be pushing all the smoke out to sea, sorry cruisers!!

I was hoping the cooler air would make it up your way. We noticed some big black clouds when we went out for our walk this morning. They were heading north and didn't drop any rain anywhere near us so I hope they held it all in for you.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

One thing I've never seen here is the affordable anti-pollution face masks that are quite in parts of Asia when the pollution is bad. There are masks available online but most aren't cheap, although I did see one that claimed to have washable filters which would make it cost effective.

Anti pollution masks are only good to a point. For one thing they can not filter out nano particles which are said to be the most harmful because they go deep into the lungs. Also there has never been a study done looking at its effectiveness in bushfire condition.

Can facemasks help reduce the negative health impacts of air pollution?

Pollutionwatch: do face masks really prevent the ill effects of pollution?

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I was hoping the cooler air would make it up your way. We noticed some big black clouds when we went out for our walk this morning. They were heading north and didn't drop any rain anywhere near us so I hope they held it all in for you.

A cooler day today, quite a bit of smoke still around early morning, the wind picked up a bit this arvo so fairly clear now, although the smell is still there. Still no rain😢

22 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Anti pollution masks are only good to a point. For one thing they can not filter out nano particles which are said to be the most harmful because they go deep into the lungs. Also there has never been a study done looking at its effectiveness in bushfire condition.

Can facemasks help reduce the negative health impacts of air pollution?

Pollutionwatch: do face masks really prevent the ill effects of pollution?

Thanks for those articles. As you said, they are only good to a point but would provide some protect for people who are affected by pollution when they have to go outside ie to shop for groceries and necessities.

16 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We are in Adelaide, preparing to board the Golden Princess tomorrow. They’re expecting hot weather this week and are expressing concern about bushfires on the TV news headlines. 

40°+ expected across South Australia on Wednesday combined with strong winds. Many schools are planning on closing. 

Melbourne is forecast to reach 39 on Thursday which would be a record high temperature for November. Areas in the north west of the state are expected to be around 40 or higher tomorrow and in central Victoria 40 or more on Thursday with northerlies. These are January and February temperatures for Victoria. 

Leigh

• Like 1

I'm so, so glad that the Golden Princess is in tomorrow and not today! 44 degrees, roaring northerlies with gusts up to 80kph and a power outage from about 1pm this afternoon, with no end in sight as yet! all our schools have been closed for the day, my friend's agistment centre is in a direct line if the fire from last Monday gets going again, so we evacuated all the horses to the race course by 7am.

I started work at 4.30pm, looking forward to some coolness but to no avail, evidently essential power does not extend to aircon in offices! Hopefully the change arrives and power is restored by 12.30am when I get home!

On 11/16/2019 at 2:45 PM, mtn_couple said:

I’m headed to Moreton Island on Carnival next week, hoping it’ll blow out to sea by then, of they’ll change the itinerary and take us south instead 

Just heard Carnival Spirit's Moreton island itinerary is diverted to Hobart this week, is this your cruise?