The Sanctuary?

Kamfish642

Make sure You decide what you are looking for if you book.  On previous cruise, it was a quiet retreat, comfortable loungers, afternoon tea etc. But on my current cruise 37 day on emerald, it’s been filled with loud talking, laughing, people playing cards etc.  A child in the adult only pool screaming etc for over two hours.  So definitely not what I was going for. 

13 hours ago, steelers36 said:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/wellness/

Scroll down for Sanctuary and watch the video.

Pricing for regular lounge chairs is $40/pp/day and $20/pp/half-day.  $30 pr day if book full cruise.

Price is the same on all ships AFAIK, unless you're cruising in Alaska for a glacier or Panama Canal (there may be others), then on that day the price is more and may include a few extras. Example: in Alaska they provide ear muffs, hot chocolate, etc.

We enjoyed the Sanctuary on Caribbean Princess last year.  Unfortunately, our Uber driver got lost (!!!) trying to find Port Everglades so we were later getting to the ship than planned.  By the time we checked in and got to the Sanctuary, we could only book 1/2 day on a 14-night cruise!  There were no more than ten people there...all very respectful of the quiet.  It was wonderful.  Hoping that Enchanted Princess also has the Sanctuary so we can enjoy that on our 2021 TA. 😃

It is a bit of a movable feast in terms of who else is there.  Typically, it's very quiet and peaceful which is IMHO what's being 'sold' by Princess.  

Occasionally though, like everywhere in life, you do run into folks who have no situational awareness.  The staff are quite reluctant to take any action as doing so is likely to negatively impact their tips or reviews.  I do want to stress that this sort of behavior is the exception not the rule.  For the most part you'll find people reading, conversing with their spouse, dozing or sea gazing.  

Prime locations on warm weather cruises do sell out, so know what you want and get up there as early as you can to pick our your chairs.  Cooler destinations and cruises with many port days tend not to sell out as fully / rapidly.

12 hours ago, CallyCruzer said:

Make sure You decide what you are looking for if you book.  On previous cruise, it was a quiet retreat, comfortable loungers, afternoon tea etc. But on my current cruise 37 day on emerald, it’s been filled with loud talking, laughing, people playing cards etc.  A child in the adult only pool screaming etc for over two hours.  So definitely not what I was going for. 

If I had paid $40 a day to be in the Sanctuary l would have been very upset to have a screaming child in the adult pool.  I'm usually not very assertive but I think I would have said something to the attendant .

16 hours ago, CallyCruzer said:

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles on the Emerald. I know I would be disappointed with screaming kids, especially when they’re not in a kid friendly atmosphere. I get the loud talking and laughing to a point, however it is a place to have fun (kinda). 
I was to be on the Emerald now but I had cancelled my cruise due to health reasons. I am envious of anyone posting from the ship. 
have lots of fun!?!

Glenn

4 hours ago, minniem said:

If I had paid $40 a day to be in the Sanctuary l would have been very upset to have a screaming child in the adult pool.  I'm usually not very assertive but I think I would have said something to the attendant .

I did say something to the attendant. I find they are very reticent to say anything to any guest. 

30 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles on the Emerald. I know I would be disappointed with screaming kids, especially when they’re not in a kid friendly atmosphere. I get the loud talking and laughing to a point, however it is a place to have fun (kinda). 
I was to be on the Emerald now but I had cancelled my cruise due to health reasons. I am envious of anyone posting from the ship. 
have lots of fun!?!

Glenn

I guess while I understand you say it’s supposed to be fun, if you are going to talk loudly, laugh and play cards etc, I would think the rest of the deck is for that and the Sanctuary is a  quiet  “tranquil“  place as advertised.  Otherwise you are paying for a softer chair and that’s it.  We found on this trip it just didn’t fit what we were looking for. 

On 11/13/2019 at 6:25 PM, milolii said:

Yes it is a extra fee area. Here is  a Cruise Critic Article.  What ship are you on?  That would help. We have been on the  Royal. The Sanctuary is wonderful. 

Very popular in warm weather cruises on  sea days.  You reserve after you board. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2284

Where on the ship do you reserve?

You go to the Sanctuary as soon as you board.  No advanced reservations.   Staff will give you a  tour and you pick your lounger or cabana.   Sea days on Warm weather cruises are the most popular.  The sooner you get onboard the better for those type cruises.   Panama Canal and Glacier Bay  also very popular, and dot more.  Some who are not successful securing a spot(s)  have reported checking back during the cruise as there may be cancellations.  It really is a lovely place. 

On 11/14/2019 at 9:46 PM, CallyCruzer said:

I guess while I understand you say it’s supposed to be fun, if you are going to talk loudly, laugh and play cards etc, I would think the rest of the deck is for that and the Sanctuary is a  quiet  “tranquil“  place as advertised.  Otherwise you are paying for a softer chair and that’s it.  We found on this trip it just didn’t fit what we were looking for. 

If you're still on the ship, complain at Passenger Svcs. and ask for a refund.

I was in the Sanctuary on a newer ship,  and they almost limited it to whispering!!!

While it can vary, I do think that I have heard of similar issues before on the Emerald.  I think it might be the exception.

I would hope for the best and board early and sprint right up to the Sanctuary to book!

On 11/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

If you're still on the ship, complain at Passenger Svcs. and ask for a refund.

Unfortunately on this ship/cruise no one cared especially at the passenger desk.  I did not say anything about this issue but did report a much Bigger issue and even wrote it up and turned it in. Crickets. Not sure I will be cruising Princess any time soon. 

9 hours ago, CallyCruzer said:

Unfortunately on this ship/cruise no one cared especially at the passenger desk.  I did not say anything about this issue but did report a much Bigger issue and even wrote it up and turned it in. Crickets. Not sure I will be cruising Princess any time soon. 

Amazing. That's not the usual response.

Agree.  Again not anything I reported but saw kids in their underwear age four or five alone in hot tubs; in the evening when adults were trying to dance, kids twirling around on the dance floor with dancers dodging them.  It was a different feel on the ship. 

Has anyone been in the Sanctuary going through the Panama Canal?

If so I have some questions:

What time were the hours?

What was included?

How much was the cost?

I'm on the Emerald from Los Angeles to Ft Lauderdale, December 3rd. 

Thanks!

Tom😎

16 hours ago, trbarton said:

Has anyone been in the Sanctuary going through the Panama Canal?

If so I have some questions:

What time were the hours?

Officially they were the same 8A - 5P, staff are there setting up from about 7A.  

What was included?

A special cocktail was included (I don't remember what) in a keepsake glass.  Champagne / mimosa's were also offered in the morning hours.  A small spread of breakfast (yogurt, granola, fruit and pastries) was set up.

How much was the cost?

$60 pp, regardless whether you had a full cruise Sanctuary package or not.

I'm on the Emerald from Los Angeles to Ft Lauderdale, December 3rd. 
    My experiences were all on Coral so may vary for Emerald, I'd like to hear what you experience as we're doing Emerald PC in January '21!

Thanks!

Tom😎

Hope this helps

3 hours ago, jondfk said:

Hope this helps

Thanks your information very helpful!  I’m considering using the Sanctuary on the Canal Day. Does one need layered clothing & it usually rains through the canal from my experience?  

I understand that one needs to reserve the sanctuary when you first visit the ship & then you can pick where you want to be.  I would want to be where you can see the canal. 

Just in case if your plans change can you cancel & not be charged?

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

10 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thanks your information very helpful!  I’m considering using the Sanctuary on the Canal Day. Does one need layered clothing & it usually rains through the canal from my experience?  

I understand that one needs to reserve the sanctuary when you first visit the ship & then you can pick where you want to be.  I would want to be where you can see the canal. 

Just in case if your plans change can you cancel & not be charged?

Tom😎

We've done PC 6 times, 5 on Princess 1 on X, and believe it or not have never experienced more than a bit of mist.  But yes, it's a tropical environment so rain is quite possible and can be heavy.  The Sanctuary on Emerald has a bit of shelter so, were it me, I'd likely dress for the inevitable heat and plan to seek shelter should the rain come in - understand we're fairly hearty in this regard - so perhaps not the best example.

Princess seems to have found the sweet spot regarding price / usage.  The price is high enough to balance the demand, we've seen spots available even the day of.  Still, if you fancy a particular location it's always good advice to get up there to book soon after boarding.

Finally, we've always been told that reservations once booked can't be cancelled.  To be honest I've never tried but, since you are blocking someone else' access by virtue of your booking I personally hope the cancellation policy is followed rather strictly. 

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Finally, we've always been told that reservations once booked can't be cancelled.  To be honest I've never tried but, since you are blocking someone else' access by virtue of your booking I personally hope the cancellation policy is followed rather strictly. 

No experience with the canal/sanctuary, but we booked the Sanctuary on our Alaska glacier day and expressed concern to the attendant about "it might be too cold for us that day" can we cancel. He told us, if we don't show up we wouldn't be charged.

We didn't show up and we weren't charged.

Best advice, ask the attendant. All things Princess depend on the ship.:classic_ninja:

Anybody recall the pricing for a cabana..think that is what they are called...?

are those offered half and full days as well?  

do you get a discount if you book entire cruise like with the loungers. 

We are doing Emerald on a repo coastal and thought it would be a nice place to be able to lay and read being that it may be cooler and in the cabana it should be a tad bit warmer with the walls?