Couple Held In Mexican Hospital Until Bill Paid

lordstudd

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

travel insurance? don't leave home without it, because stuff happens

Which may or may not help, many travel insurance policies are secondary and are by reimbursement only, so the traveler has to pony up the money first and then wait to get the money back. Some policies will guarantee payment, but it has to clearly state that in the terms and conditions.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Which may or may not help, many travel insurance policies are secondary and are by reimbursement only, so the traveler has to pony up the money first and then wait to get the money back. Some policies will guarantee payment, but it has to clearly state that in the terms and conditions.

We got our travel insurance through Travel Insured International and they have a clause that states they will in fact make arrangements to ensure treatment if financially necessary so as not to leave you stuck. It was also one of the cheapest options so I'm sure many have this written into the details. Sounds like these folks had no insurance at all. Also our regular insurance has coverage for this as well "if medically necessary". Sounds like poor planning in this case. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is that way it works.  The hospital probably has their passports.  

The hospital we were off-loaded to in Belize when dd had an appendix attack took our passports and gave them back when dd was medically cleared to leave and our bill had been fully paid by my credit card.  We always clear two cards for international travel "just in case."  We also never travel without a trip insurance policy.  When I contacted travelguard from the hospital they offered help with paying if I needed it.  

The article made it sound like the man had NO insurance coverage whatsoever.  Very scary to be stranded in a hospital like that- and very expensive.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zorky12 said:

The US Embassy should be able to get them home, even if it results in paying the bill and passing it on to them. 

I suspect this is the case as well. Uncle Sam will step in but the medical costs are only the beginning. I'm sure repatriation costs will be tacked on as well. Uncle Sam always gets his too. He don't ask either, he just snatches it out of your bank account or directly from your paycheck. I've tangled with Uncle Sam on a few occasions and he is ferocious and kicked my butt all up and down the street...lol. This will be a very costly lesson for this family. 

• Like 1

This thread was moved here in part because it really didn't fit anywhere else but also to illustrate  how very important travel insurance is. This isn't an opportunity to second guess the "victim'" and posts denigrating him will be removed

Thanks!

2 hours ago, coevan said:

Oh please, nice conspiracy theory. 

I guess you've never owed the government money, lucky you. Not a conspiracy in the least. Trust me, been there, done that. I've even had them use this same tactic at the state and local level for a 10 year old ticket that I had all but forgotten about. 

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is that way it works.  The hospital probably has their passports.  

Or WHTI docs ... DL and birth certif ... so, in that case,  even if able to pay the hospital charges, they'd still need US Embassy assist 

Edited by pms4104

Something I didn't understand .. In the article it states that the man was in a diabetic coma and that the ship suggested that they seek help at the hospital in Progreso. Seems to me that if the man was actually in a diabetic coma, there would be NO suggesting...he would be sent off in an ambulance. Am I missing something?

9 hours ago, packedandready said:

Something I didn't understand .. In the article it states that the man was in a diabetic coma and that the ship suggested that they seek help at the hospital in Progreso. Seems to me that if the man was actually in a diabetic coma, there would be NO suggesting...he would be sent off in an ambulance. Am I missing something?

That did not make sense to me, either.  The ship's infirmary is well-prepared to handle a lot of medical issues, including (I am sure) stocking insulin.  However, to keep someone on the ship with several medical issues going on at once and not sent off to a hospital is probably the last thing the ship's medical staff wanted to do.   Hoping there is an update on this story shortly.

13 hours ago, coevan said:

Oh please, nice conspiracy theory. 

Nope, the government is going to get theirs. One of my sons owes the Army some of his enlistment bonus money back (he got out before his enlistment was over) and he just received a letter from the IRS notifying him that his tax refund will be seized to pay that debt (and if that's not enough to cover it then they will seize subsequent year's also). 

• Like 1

My husband had to get stitches once in Playa del Carmen. Before hospital would take him they put a $2000 hold on our credit card. Ended up being $1600 for 16 stitches.  Then when we returned we filed our travel insurance claim.  So even with travel insurance be prepared to pay out of pocket and reimbursed later. 

• Like 3