Sea day brunch?

bubbie74

On 11/27/2019 at 7:45 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

I finally talked the hubs to going to the sea day brunch on our Breeze cruise last month. We waited 30 minutes for someone to bring us coffee.  It was another 15 minutes before someone took our order.   After waiting another 30 or so minutes for our food,  we just got up and left.  By that time, Guys was open. We saw the couple that was sitting next to us later that day. They said it was another 15 minutes before they got their food.  The dining room was not busy at all.  It will be a long time before I can talked the hubs to trying the sea day brunch again 

On 11/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, coevan said:

One bad experience can not reflect all experiences. 

so did you get your food or not, this is somewhat confusing. You are talking about 1 1/2 hours and not getting your food. Fortunately we have never had that bad an experience. Admittedly, it is not the fastest service.

The couple sitting next to Butterbean got served 15 minutes after Butterbean's party left.  Butterbean spent about 1 hr 15 minutes without getting food.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Shock1998 said:

Seaday Brunch is still very good but I miss two items no longer available- tomato soup and Hey Pork Chop.  Both were very good. 

I also miss the tomato soup. I did order it on the first night in MDR as appetizer. Wish it was available every night. Or put it on room service to pay item. I would pay for it. 

On 11/27/2019 at 12:17 PM, sanmarcosman said:

Journeys cruises are the exception, they serve lunch some days in the MDR on Journeys cruise to evoke the early days of Carnival. Apples and oranges.

On the last Journeys cruise I was on, they had a Steakhouse Brunch on one day, and it was amazing!  Possibly the best meal I have ever had on Carnival.  Completely worth the $25 upcharge.

• Like 2

Stopped in on one of our two sea days this past weekend.

The entire experience was MEH.

Service was a little slow and I think I enjoyed my omeletes from the omelette stations better than anything anyone at our table received. (French Toast of somekind, Skillet pancakes and I got , literally, two scoops of fake eggs when I asked for some simple scrambled eggs and sausage.)

Don't get me wrong, what I saw at the buffet the two days I went down there was just revolting.

(Eggs, sausage, hashrounds, etc. being put out more than 60 minutes before the buffet opened, to sit under heat lamps.)

So if you can't find an omeltte station for some fresh ingredients and freshley prepared food., the sea day brunch was a fine middle ground.

Edited by bguppies

5 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Stopped in on one of our two sea days this past weekend.

The entire experience was MEH.

Service was a little slow and I think I enjoyed my omeletes from the omelette stations better than anything anyone at our table received. (French Toast of somekind, Skillet pancakes and I got , literally, two scoops of fake eggs when I asked for some simple scrambled eggs and sausage.)

Don't get me wrong, what I saw at the buffet the two days I went down there was just revolting.

(Eggs, sausage, hashrounds, etc. being put out more than 60 minutes before the buffet opened, to sit under heat lamps.)

So if you can't find an omeltte station for some fresh ingredients and freshley prepared food., the sea day brunch was a fine middle ground.

Honestly everything on the Lido buffet for breakfast is absolutely disgusting to me. The omelette station is the best way to go unless you can't stand for the 10-20 minutes it takes to work through the line.

Just got off the Sunshine and on the firstSea Day Brunch service was sooooo slow.The dining room was only about 1/8 capacity on one level. We sat down at 11:05 and our food arrived at 12:29 .

We checked in on app. at about 11 am and it showed our table was ready in less than 5 minutes. We were seated and surprised that waiter came over and took our drink order within minutes. then another waiter came by and took food order about 5 minutes later.We looked at tables around us that were seated before us and started noticing unhappy faces.At the table of 4 ladies next to us 2 were eating while the other two had no food they kept stopping servers and asking where their food was, and being told it is coming. The first two ladies had finished their meals before the other two received heir meals. They told us they had all ordered at the same time.

The table next to us got their beverages after their meals were eaten.

I became worried as my son is special needs and has to have food eaten at a certain time window before he takes medication. So I asked our waiter if they thought we would get our food with in 1/2 hour of our ordering it. Since it looked like the tables around our were taking a long time. He said of course. So we decided to wait instead of  leaving and going to buffet.Buffet is a challenge as my son wants to eat everything so we try to avoid it.

We waited and waited and finally got our juices  no bread or anything else.after 45 minutes.

We waited another 15 minutes. I tracked down the  dining room supervisors as it was 1 hour and 15 minutes from the time we sat down. He said he would check on it I asked him if we could at least get our danishes we had ordered. We got them 10 minutes later. We sat down at 11:05 and our food arrived at 12:29 and it was not even our order. The Supervisor clearly went to kitchen and grabbed something close to our order just so he could serve us something.

This was our 4th cruise on Carnival this year and the longest we waited.

I wish they would utilize the App system and only seat you when they know that the servers can adequately take care of you in a timely manner.  And  the app would show how long you would wait for a table. So you could decide if you want to wait or go somewhere else to dine.

When speaking to other passengers it seemed like everyone had issues with the Sea Day Brunch.

• Like 2

On the Magic a couple weeks ago, the brunch was not offered on the 2nd seaday.  I did not ask why.

The first one on Sunday was good from both a service and food quality standpoint.  

The second (last) one was an absolute cluster.  We got seated reasonably quick but that was it.  Couldn't even get a cup of coffee poured.  Bar order took until almost the end of the meal to show up.  Side order of potatoes showed up after main course was served and half eaten.  The servers that day were clearly overwhelmed.  There was a lot of confusion and running around........ you could tell they were trying but it almost seemed they did not expect to be so busy.

They have also decreased the open times by 1 hour and it now seating stops at noon.  Perhaps that is one reason for the issues.  Filet mignon was replaced a while back with a hit / miss 5 oz cut of sirloin.

Still recommend the MDR for all breakfasts and brunches.  We've had more good experiences than not.  

Also, on this recent cruie, the MDR was VERY generous with bacon.  And the bacon was a bit thicker and crispier.  

1 hour ago, sabaka11 said:

And  the app would show how long you would wait for a table. So you could decide if you want to wait or go somewhere else to dine.

When speaking to other passengers it seemed like everyone had issues with the Sea Day Brunch.

I'm sorry this happened to you and yours. It reads to me like it was the kitchen staff that was the cause of the delays. You're right about the app reservation announcements needing to be realistic in the timing and not seating people just because there are vacant tables. Restaurant management should have been aware of the kitchen issue and not seated guests like it was business as usual with the kitchen in the weeds.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:08 PM, Shock1998 said:

Seaday Brunch is still very good but I miss two items no longer available- tomato soup and Hey Pork Chop.  Both were very good. 

On 9/26/2022 at 5:22 PM, slavigne5577 said:

I also miss the tomato soup. I did order it on the first night in MDR as appetizer. Wish it was available every night. Or put it on room service to pay item. I would pay for it. 

Flaming tomato soup will be making a come back.

I’m just back from my first cruise in years.  I was so looking forward to sea day brunch!  I was planning to go each of the three sea days and had even considered going twice on one of them because there were so many things I wanted to try.  Well, I went once and nearly everything I was looking forward to trying is no longer offered.  I never went back.  I made due with Blue Iguana.  Honestly, port day breakfast in the MDR had better options than the sea day brunch, IMO!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:09 PM, staceyglow said:

On the last Journeys cruise I was on, they had a Steakhouse Brunch on one day, and it was amazing!  Possibly the best meal I have ever had on Carnival.  Completely worth the $25 upcharge.

How did you find out about that and was that located in the steakhouse?

I think they'll keep calling it a brunch until they decide whether the reduced hours are temporary or not. If it is decided to make it truly permanent, I imagine it will be change to Sea Day breakfast.

I have the opposite problem of many people here. I still find the selection so varied that it is with GREAT difficulty I keep from gaining weight. [and my BMI is already so close to overweight. kind of wish there were a few less glorious selection, lol]

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

They announced it on board. And yes, the steakhouse brunch was in the steakhouse. 😊

If they offer it on my Journey's 14 day starting Oct 16th, I will do it every time they are willing to! Thank you for the info!

On 9/26/2022 at 8:28 PM, bguppies said:

I kept looking for the “heavy-metal gals” from SC, never did see you.  We had a really good cruise, arrived at 10:55 in the parking lot, on the ship at 11:30.  We never did the Sea day brunch..We’ll be back on Sunshine in Jan. 👍