How bad was the Norovirus on the Joy?

farjar

I saw on the news that 4 people were taken to the hospital in LA due to a possible Norovirus outbreak when the Norwegian Joy docked after its recent 16 day Panama Canal trip.  Was anyone on that cruise?  How bad was it?  What steps were taken to protect the passengers on that cruise plus the new passengers getting ready to board?  Would appreciate hearing what you have to say and what you may have done to avoid being exposed.

OP I hope you don’t mind me piggybacking off of your questions.  We leave on the Joy on Sunday and just got a message boarding is delayed which leads me to believe Noro May still be onboard and another deep cleaning is necessary.  Is anyone on the current cruise?  Is Noro still onboard?

4 minutes ago, bluebelt said:

I know about washing hands but I am a germaphobe when it comes to Noro.  I usually try to avoid cruising from Jan-Mar because of this.  

You realize you can get noro from literally everywhere, right?  It doesn't have to be on a cruise ship.

Of course I know I can get it anywhere but it spreads faster in a confined space on a cruise ship.  I plan on bringing hospital grade wipes to wipe down the room.  I know how to take precautions.  I really just want to know if there are still a lot of people coming down with it on the current cruise?  Do they sanitize the cruise terminal after  the cruise as well?

3 hours ago, farjar said:

I saw on the news that 4 people were taken to the hospital in LA due to a possible Norovirus outbreak when the Norwegian Joy docked after its recent 16 day Panama Canal trip.  Was anyone on that cruise?  How bad was it?  What steps were taken to protect the passengers on that cruise plus the new passengers getting ready to board?  Would appreciate hearing what you have to say and what you may have done to avoid being exposed.

We were on that sailing and we were lucky enough not to have been exposed to the virus.

I noticed the signs before it was even announced........public restroom doors propped open, motion sickness bags attacked to stairway railings, first condiments such as ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper disappearing from the tables in the buffet and eventually everything was removed from the tables and was handed out by crew members standing at the buffet line, along with your food being served from behind the counter with no access to tongs or helping yourself to anything, including plates, silverware, napkins etc.

There was sanitizing everywhere, elevator buttons, door handles and door knobs, the merchandise counters for the shops, tables and chairs in the buffet and also the observation lounge, wiping of the Guest Services counter in between guests being taken care of among many other things.

Deep cleaning was done in staterooms including areas that we weren't necessarily using for example the extra bunk in the room, sofa cushions were removed.

We spoke to the room steward as we were leaving the cabin for the last time and he showed us the paper "suit" he had to wear to clean cabins as the guests left.  He said that he had to wear that basically hazmat looking suit and he had to use a new one for each cabin.

Edited by MrsK
  • Like 2

Just saw a post that the captain has announced an outbreak and it’s being reported to CDC on the 11/24 Sailing. They still have 4 days left on that cruise, let’s see what happens. I leave Sunday and like another poster mentioned, embarkation is delayed. 

Two cruises in a row with CDC reportable cases is definite cause for concern. I’m now wondering what the possibilities are that our cruise this Sunday 12/1 could be cancelled? I know they will refund everything and probably give another credit as well but would they help us find another cruise leaving same date that we could book? I can’t change my vacation dates so I’ve got to find a ship to get on somewhere. 

44 minutes ago, chriscec2012 said:

Two cruises in a row with CDC reportable cases is definite cause for concern. I’m now wondering what the possibilities are that our cruise this Sunday 12/1 could be cancelled? I know they will refund everything and probably give another credit as well but would they help us find another cruise leaving same date that we could book? I can’t change my vacation dates so I’ve got to find a ship to get on somewhere. 

I’m hoping they don’t cancel. I’m actually surprised about another outbreak since they sanitize the ship so much after one. 

5 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

You realize you can get noro from literally everywhere, right?  It doesn't have to be on a cruise ship.

Exactly. This was in the new just before the JOY was in the news.... https://people.com/health/colorado-school-district-closes-extremely-contagious-virus/

wash your hands, and keep your hands away from your face....goes a long way to keeping you from 'picking up' what's going around

We are on the Joy now and honestly the crew is doing a great job keeping everything cleaned. I am absolutely shocked at the number of women who are not washing their hands when they leave the restroom. My DH has said the same of men leaving the loo too. The hygiene habits of fellow passengers is probably my biggest concern. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, LaCal said:

We’re onboard Dec 8th. Sure hope it’s all sorted out by then and disinfected totally 

I did buy hand sanitizers that kill Noro and sanitizer wipes as well that do 

Were you able to find a brand of hand sanitizer that specifically said it kills Norovirus?   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donovanrs28 said:

Just saw a post that the captain has announced an outbreak and it’s being reported to CDC on the 11/24 Sailing. They still have 4 days left on that cruise, let’s see what happens. I leave Sunday and like another poster mentioned, embarkation is delayed. 

Where did you see this report? Can you provide a link? I'm on the 1 Dec sailing and have been trying to find reports of an outbreak on the current 24 Nov cruise.

1 hour ago, Pduaime said:

Were you able to find a brand of hand sanitizer that specifically said it kills Norovirus?   

Amazon sell Germstar Noro in 2oz bottles-packs of 6- it kills noro virus, I have ordered them for my cruise and used them in 2015 when a previous cruise ship I was to embark had had an issue with Noro - no-one in our party caught the virus on our cruise. I have used this gel on cruises where there has been an outbreak and so far we have been lucky.

Edited by kenzie
spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1