Subway to/from NYC Penn station & Manhattan cruise terminal?

erdoran

Are there subway stations right in Penn Station?  We leave on a Sunday morning in January, I figure it will be freezing outdoors.  Does it make sense to subway there/back?  If yes, which subway do we take and which stop do we get off at?

We can self-manage luggage, one medium-size rolling suitcase and carryon each.  TIa

It's doable - nephew & his wife, being young & lightly packed, just did this earlier in the month doing Bermuda - took the E subway line to W. 50th Street & 8th. Avenue, exit to street level ... walk west to 12th Avenue, turn south for 2 blocks to pedestrian entrance at W. 48th Street into the cruise terminal - giant elevators or escalators up one level to check their rollerboards with porter, then zip thru security to pier check-in.  

Amtrak at NY Penn Station will be closer to 8th Avenue below ground, look for & follow signage toward 8th Avenue toward the E subway line - 2 stops.  That would be the frugal way to get around, not necessary the ideal way.  Just make sure your luggage got sturdy wheels and can be repaired/replaced - check the weather & dress for the elements, probably in layers.  On such a short ride, price difference or savings between a taxi and Uber/Lyft would be minimal, saving $3 to $5 on this segment, with all the surcharges & fees on top of the base (metered) fare - no tolls. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

It's doable - nephew & his wife, being young & lightly packed, just did this earlier in the month doing Bermuda - took the E subway line to W. 50th Street & 8th. Avenue, exit to street level ... walk west to 12th Avenue, turn south for 2 blocks to pedestrian entrance at W. 48th Street into the cruise terminal - giant elevators or escalators up one level to check their rollerboards with porter, then zip thru security to pier check-in.  

Amtrak at NY Penn Station will be closer to 8th Avenue below ground, look for & follow signage toward 8th Avenue toward the E subway line - 2 stops.  That would be the frugal way to get around, not necessary the ideal way.  Just make sure your luggage got sturdy wheels and can be repaired/replaced - check the weather & dress for the elements, probably in layers.  On such a short ride, price difference or savings between a taxi and Uber/Lyft would be minimal, saving $3 to $5 on this segment, with all the surcharges & fees on top of the base (metered) fare - no tolls. 

I think erdoran was asking if there is a subway stop on 12th. Ave and 48th. St. Which there is none. Take a cab/Uber, it’s easier than walking  6 city blocks hauling luggage. 10 minute ride.

Edited by skrufy
Correction

Thanks guys.  Figured I could stay warm a bit longer and not deal with the Penn Station outdoors mess but you’ve convinced me to do the cab thing.  No idea what subways even cost these days (believe it or not, FREE for seniors in Philadelphia with their senior card) but defeats the purpose to have a long walk in the cold to save perhaps $10.

On 11/29/2019 at 8:11 AM, erdoran said:

Thanks guys.  Figured I could stay warm a bit longer and not deal with the Penn Station outdoors mess but you’ve convinced me to do the cab thing.  No idea what subways even cost these days (believe it or not, FREE for seniors in Philadelphia with their senior card) but defeats the purpose to have a long walk in the cold to save perhaps $10.

And, don’t forget the cost of replacing the wheels on your luggage damaged by hauling it around on unfriendly surfaces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Take a cab.  They're readily available at Penn Station. It's not very far from Penn to the Manhattan cruise terminal and the fare should be somewhere between $10-$15.  Uber or Lyft will not be much less $$ if any,  and to avoid the hassle of locating the Uber/Lyft car,  just take a cab.   And as an aside, the subway at Penn is probably one of the closest to the Manhattan cruise ship terminal.

Ok. I always use public transportation to/from the ship.   An option from Penn Station I’d use would be uptown 8th Ave subway to 42 nd St.  then jump on a 42 bus. ( which are a lot more frequent than 50th St buses).   Then I just walk to the ship up 12th. ( stay out of the bike lanes).   Cost $3.75 with new Metrocard.   In traffic cab fares can be over $20.  

6 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Ok. I always use public transportation to/from the ship.   An option from Penn Station I’d use would be uptown 8th Ave subway to 42 nd St.  then jump on a 42 bus. ( which are a lot more frequent than 50th St buses).   Then I just walk to the ship up 12th. ( stay out of the bike lanes).   Cost $3.75 with new Metrocard.   In traffic cab fares can be over $20.  

A person's ability to do what you describe above depends in great measure on how much luggage she has (and her ability to handle it).  The NY subway is not very luggage friendly, nor are the buses.  Maybe one roll-aboard (and not during rush hour), but that's about it.

For most cruise ship pax going from Penn Station to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, a taxi imho will be the best option. 

18 hours ago, BubbieE said:

Just a note to let you know that Penn Station is under construction and taxi stands have been relocated.

So, suggest you look into this before you take this route.

Perhaps someone could post more details about exact area of construction and the relocation of the taxi stands?  “Penn Station” is enormous and occupies the entire area between 7th and 8 Ave and 31st and 33rd Street.  

Most of the cab suggestions to go to the Manhattan cruiseport involve exiting onto 8th Ave and grabbing a northbound cab.  I’ve watched the cabs pull up there to drop off and pick up, but it didn’t look like an official “taxi stand “ to me.  Is that particular area affected by the construction?

• Like 1

Thanks, @138east; I was wondering the same thing!  Also, if anyone has information about the ways and means of getting a large suitcase from the NJ Transit train coming into NY Penn Station (from Newark) up to street level, I'd really appreciate any tips on where to find (working) escalators and or elevators . . .

6 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Thanks, @138east; I was wondering the same thing!  Also, if anyone has information about the ways and means of getting a large suitcase from the NJ Transit train coming into NY Penn Station (from Newark) up to street level, I'd really appreciate any tips on where to find (working) escalators and or elevators . . .

I know how to do that!  I just don’t know if the cab pickups are still on 8th Ave.  Actually I will be doing this at the end of January to sail from Cape Liberty - coming in on Amtrak and going out to 8th Ave to walk to my hotel.  When do you sail?

Be patient getting off the train.  The train tracks are several levels below the street level.  Every platform has escalator and elevator options to get to the main waiting room level. Ask the conductors for directions and let the crowds go by.  In the main waiting room area, follow the signs to 8th Ave.  The last time I was there, the up escalator was at the 8th & 31st Corner of the waiting room. Don’t know if the construction has affected the escalators.  

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/NYPENN_Directory.pdf

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 6:39 AM, Turtles06 said:

A person's ability to do what you describe above depends in great measure on how much luggage she has (and her ability to handle it).  The NY subway is not very luggage friendly, nor are the buses.  Maybe one roll-aboard (and not during rush hour), but that's about it.

For most cruise ship pax going from Penn Station to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, a taxi imho will be the best option. 

I’m not unique. 😀. Plenty of people manage.  I travel with 1 25” bag.  I’ve been gone up to 10 weeks.   Laundry is your best traveling friend.    I manage just fine around the world.   I even have a routing with subway/bus from Lga with no stairs.   😀

Something for everyone.  

• Like 1

@Budget Queen, do tell us your secrets!  "I even have a routing with subway/bus from Lga with no stairs."  Seriously, though, I would appreciate any tips you can share!  My husband and I will be on a 21-night cruise, our longest to date, and although we plan on using the laundry service, I'm pretty sure I will be lugging my 25" suitcase (with wheels, but only two).

Remember....subway/bus fares are per person.  Cab/uber is per vehicle.  With bus,  subway, up, down, on, off......paying $10 more (more or less) is worth getting into a car, putting the luggage in the trunk and getting out at the cruise terminal.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 6:26 AM, 138east said:

I just don’t know if the cab pickups are still on 8th Ave.  Actually I will be doing this at the end of January to sail from Cape Liberty - coming in on Amtrak and going out to 8th Ave to walk to my hotel.  

Carol — I was just over there today, and yes to the cab pickups on 8th Avenue. There’s  a taxi stand on 8th alongside Penn Station, between 31st and 33d.  Exit the Station at the corner of 31st and 8th.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Carol — I was just over there today, and yes to the cab pickups on 8th Avenue. There’s  a taxi stand on 8th alongside Penn Station, between 31st and 33d.  Exit the Station at the corner of 31st and 8th.  

Thanks!  That’s just what I remember from last year.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 4:23 PM, Turtles06 said:

Doing this on Sunday to board the Bliss.

Thank you for the directions.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1