PRESCRIPTIONS

cruisekitty22

Sailing on the Getaway next week (Dec 8th 2019 - out of NOLA)

We photograph all prescription bottle information on our cellphone and bring the phone with us.  We carry the pills in a weekly organizer.

Is this okay and legal?   More organized than bringing all the original bottles and no risk of loosing a bottle.  Our pics show all the information on the label.

The cruiseline isn't going to care except maybe for narcotics. But I've never had a problem. I do usually bring them in their bottles though because I'm just lazy. 

Would think flying would be more of a problem, but I've also never been stopped for them to look at my pills. 

Just have to add that we have two ports, in Mexico, Cozumel and Progreso.  Wouldn't be a problem unless something goes radically wrong.  Just wonder if anyone knows the legality of it all.  Yes we will check with TSA and Airlines.

Have one controlled substance. Ambien. (Zolpidem)

Edited by cruisekitty22

The State Department issues advisories about taking drugs into other countries. Here's what they link to for Mexico:

https://mx.usembassy.gov/information-regarding-bringing-medications-into-mexico/

Some common things like Sudafed are illegal. State recommends you have a letter from your doctor and the original prescription bottles for any prescription meds you take; see the section "Local Laws and Special Circumstances" on this page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mexico.html.

This list is in Spanish, but you can load it in the Chrome browser and have it translate it into English:  http://www.aduanas-mexico.com.mx/cgi-bin/ctarnet/notas_ex/listas_cap29.html  That is the long list of prohibited drugs. You should have a copy of the prescription and a letter from your doctor if you are taking those.

We haven't done that in the past, and probably won't in the future. We take the risk, thinking that our cabin on the ship is relatively safe from searches while in the common Mexican ports.

Not many medications come in a liquid form - NCL should not be bothered by pills ointments liquids but the

TSA keystone cops you never know i.e. liquids over 3 ounces may pose a problem - but if you need the

liquid medication while traveling on a flight only bring less than 3 ounces and place the rest in your checked

baggage.

Any unusual circumstances medications best check with the TSA for traveling by air.

One further thing to note - - - Marijuana in liquid form would be testing things to the limits CAUTION !

• Like 2

No medical marijuana or liquids or anything like that   just normal stuff like blood pressure meds and purple pill and stuff like that.  Only Ambien, a common prescription sleep aid (controlled substance) is used. 

The concern is our method of transporting, as not in the original pill bottles but we photograph the prescription info on the bottles and have with us.  More concerned about if we have a situation where we are delayed on shore in Mexico and our stuff is checked.

Thanks for the replies, I will use the urls above.

11 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

No medical marijuana or liquids or anything like that   just normal stuff like blood pressure meds and purple pill and stuff like that.  Only Ambien, a common prescription sleep aid (controlled substance) is used. 

The concern is our method of transporting, as not in the original pill bottles but we photograph the prescription info on the bottles and have with us.  More concerned about if we have a situation where we are delayed on shore in Mexico and our stuff is checked.

Thanks for the replies, I will use the urls above.

Well, there's no reason to take ambien ashore. So getting checked while you're in Mexico didnt be a worry! 

1 hour ago, cruisekitty22 said:

We photograph all prescription bottle information on our cellphone and bring the phone with us.  We carry the pills in a weekly organizer.

Is this okay and legal?   More organized than bringing all the original bottles and no risk of loosing a bottle.  Our pics show all the information on the label.

No problem at all. Enjoy your cruise!  

42 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Not many medications come in a liquid form - NCL should not be bothered by pills ointments liquids but the

TSA keystone cops you never know i.e. liquids over 3 ounces may pose a problem - but if you need the

liquid medication while traveling on a flight only bring less than 3 ounces and place the rest in your checked

baggage.

Any unusual circumstances medications best check with the TSA for traveling by air.

One further thing to note - - - Marijuana in liquid form would be testing things to the limits CAUTION !

You would be surprised what comes in liquid form.  I have had no problem bringing liquid meds with me on planes.  I always tell TSA, they sometimes swab the bottles, sometimes not.  I have a digestive problem that makes pills being absorbed difficult, so some of my meds are liquid form, especially narcotics.  But I've never taken liquid marijuana.  I have taken CBD oil to Europe and Back with no repercussions, as well as a cruise or two.  (didn't declare it, they didn't take it)

It might be worth taking the actual bottle for the Ambien (since it is a controlled substance). That way you have it if there are any issues. 1% chance of needing it, I'd guess. Choose your level of comfort.

Yes the orig bottle for Ambien for sure.  the concern is if one of us gets seriously ill or injured and is taken off the boat in a port.  We know of two friends that this has happened to. 

You never know about a worse case situation.

Thanks all for the replies

Check the Mega in Cozumel if you need to restock...good deals can be had..

Ambien, makes you sleep right? How is that controlled..wow, we are a country of control...

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 12/2/2019 at 5:27 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

TSA keystone cops you never know i.e. liquids over 3 ounces may pose a problem -

Some things are exempt from the 3 ounce rule, including medication and certain life-sustaining liquids like breast milk.

I have small labeled pharmacy bottles for my prescription meds & typically take twice what I will need - just in case the ship were to be stranded at sea.  Even if you still use the pill cases & a photo of the labels, take more than you will need.  You never know what can happen.  I know I sure don't want to run out of blood pressure or thyroid meds.  Supplements are always carried in a pill minder.  If I were to run out, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:05 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Ambien, makes you sleep right? How is that controlled..wow, we are a country of control...

Seriously?  Ambien is a Schedule IV controlled substance, or in layman's terms, a sedative-hypnotic.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, cruisekitty22 said:

I do the same thing and have never once been asked to see the pictures or questioned about the weekly organizer.