elete boarding

5fathom

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I am curious why you would think this?  Each passengers status is still known under the Medallion system.  I never thought this perk would be lost because of medallion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 5fathom said:

Under the new Medallion system is Elite priority boarding eliminated ?

No, it has not been eliminated at all.  Elites and Suites board first, followed by Platinum.

There is still priority check-in, in addition to a direct line if have Medallion in hand (don't recall that that line was split in Nov, but we were among first in the terminal).

Platinums and Club Class follow.

Once boarding has started and the terminal is cleared of those waiting, people just walk on after check-in - just like always.

• Like 2

It was eliminated in July at Fort Lauderdale (Voyage B929) and LA in October (Voyage 1938). Elites without medallions walked thru priority section and were on while I waited in a long queue. I'm bringing it in my pocket in March. If it's the same in SF then I'm stating it didn't arrive in time to use priority boarding. 

Edited by Ombud

28 minutes ago, Ombud said:

It was eliminated in July at Fort Lauderdale (Voyage B929) and LA in October (Voyage 1938). Elites without medallions walked thru priority section and were on while I waited in a long queue. I'm bringing it in my pocket in March. If it's the same in SF then I'm stating it didn't arrive in time to use priority boarding. 

Yes, we cruised twice in October and both times we were told that there was not an elite group for boarding and to just get in the line. While waiting in line we heard them announce that the elite group was boarding. What’s up with that?

@MsSoCalCruiser

Yes, we cruised twice in October and both times we were told that there was not an elite group for boarding and to just get in the line. While waiting in line we heard them announce that the elite group was boarding. What’s up with that?

Just the normal right hand and left hand not knowing what the other is doing.  Norm for Princess.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@MsSoCalCruiser

Just the normal right hand and left hand not knowing what the other is doing.  Norm for Princess.

Isn’t that the truth! 

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

No, you still board before the non priority, but it does appear they let platinums in the elite lounge.

If you are writing about Terminal 2, or similar, at Port Everglades, I believe this is true. 

For those who like the minutiae details, here is more on the Nov 1 check-in and boarding experience at Terminal 2.   Otherwise, just move on to the next post.

We had Medallions in hand and (post-security) proceeded through the stanchioned pathway to the check-in area on the ground level setup for passengers with Medallions.  We then exited that section a couple of minutes later and proceeded through the nearby double doors and up the escalator to the right.  All very familiar path once through those doors.  Upstairs, to our left was the seating area we were used to being in previously as Platinums.  To the far left and behind us as we traveled up the escalator was the aft gangway to the ship.  They were seating disabled folks there who were using wheelchairs or scooters, plus their traveling parties.  The forward gangway was slightly ahead and to the left.  Straight ahead was the main Elite and Suites lounge.  To the right, off the escalator was what I took as an overflow area for excess Elites if needed.  I do believe I observed Platinums entering the room.  People had boarding group cards - we were ELITE A.  I am sure I recall seeing some non-ELITE boarding cards.

Our friends did not have Medallions and they followed a different line downstairs to check-in and soon followed us upstairs to the "lounge" where we had reserved space for all four of us by the doorway.  I was a bit surprised to see they also had an "A" group card, so they must save several for the early arriving priority guests without Medallions.  (IDK how many pax are in a single letter group, but I did see ELITE "B" cards not long after we entered the lounge and our friends had not yet arrived).

When a pre-boarding announcement was made, the gentleman was very clear about things and said he was going to be calling the ELITE "A"'s, followed by "B", etc and then he would call PLATINUM, and so on.  He also said that NO ONE from downstairs would be allowed up to board until we were all aboard.  Presumably this happened as he stated, but we were long gone from the area being the very first to step on the ship.

I was out to the washroom and noticed two things.  First, there was no one in the over-flow area, so they had continued to fill the large lounge area right up to boarding time.  There is MUCH more space than I recall from several years back and taking a peek into the doorway of the old Suite/Elite "lounge" (thinking that one day we would make it there).  Second, the rows of seats on the second level between the two gangway entrances were not in use.  Our ship was the CROWN, so maybe they do use them for the Royal Class ships.  Everyone else was downstairs where they walk through that new OCEAN portal to a large waiting room. 

I did go back downstairs at one point to see if the wine table was staffed (it still wasn't) and how the crowd flow was going (well it appeared).

When the gentleman with the mike came back a bit later on (and at least TEN minutes ahead of his boarding time estimate), I knew it was time to go and we were up from our seats near the door and on our way to the forward gangway.  Meanwhile, the disabled parties were beginning to board via the aft gangway.

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

People had boarding group cards - we were ELITE A.  I am sure I recall seeing some non-ELITE boarding cards.

I had forgot about this, but on our last cruise, we were one of the first 50 or so people to get to the checkin area, and you get waved to the next attendant, and we went where they were, and they gave us a boarding card that said Elite D I think it was, and we assumed that they had just a mix of cards at any of the available check in stations, and we were not in the 4th list of Elites to check in. 

Didn't appear to matter, as when they came in to ask for the elites, everyone got up and got in line, but I found that to be odd.

I say that because it doesn't really matter to us, but I know it's a horse race to the sanctuary for a lot of folks, so if you got there early and got a later boarding card, that might cause an issue for some.

Edited by kywildcatfanone

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

@MsSoCalCruiser

If this was LA or FLL that would be the group that 'forgot or didn't have' their medallions and had preferred processing.  The rest were asked to wait in the queue for processing.  They are processed as usual.

On our September sailing from Los Angeles on Royal there was a small Elite lounge on the left side of the tent.  

We were given Elite X (I don't recall the letter) cards at checkin.

Folks familiar with boarding from this facility knew the doors to the escalator were not those in the Elite area, but rather a second set of doors 20' to the left.  I wondered why so many folks with Elite cards would pop into the lounge, grab some cookies and then go sit outside the lounge - they knew where boarding would actually occur.

Anyway, when boarding started, Elites were called (as others have said, no A's, B's or X's, just "ELITE").  It all worked okay though our sailing boarded well after noon by which time the terminal was jammed and everyone just a bit edgy.

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

No, you still board before the non priority, but it does appear they let platinums in the elite lounge.

Platinum, Elite, and Suite have shared embarkation and disembarkation lounges for a while now.  It is at most if not all of the embarkation ports now.

• Like 2

I asked. I said I have my medallion. She said go to that group on the right. I asked another person again who stated all those with medallions go to the right, those without go to the left. That was October 14, 2019. As usual your experience may vary

Edited by Ombud

When people describe their experience, it would help if they be clear about if they are referencing check in versus boarding. And if they are talking about the process prior to priority people being allowed to board or if they are referring to time after boarding has started. I think this gets very mixed up and confusing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

I asked. I said I have my medallion. She said go to that group on the right. I asked another person again who stated all those with medallions go to the right, those without go to the left. That was October 14, 2019. As usual your experience may vary

If PE T2 was the location you are writing about, yes, the regular check-in lane was to the left and then turn a corner and the check-in desks were left of the Medallion check-in zone.  The lane leading to Medallion check-in was on the right and you also turn left and straight on.

But after the check-in process is completed downstairs, anyone who is P/E/S should be sent upstairs to wait for boarding to commence.

7 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Didn't appear to matter, as when they came in to ask for the elites, everyone got up and got in line, but I found that to be odd.

All I can say is that on November 1, the man in charge, so to speak, announced on his mike that he would be calling groups in order by letter.  He certainly began with "A", but after that IDK whether everyone just got up and headed out because by the time he would have called "B", we were already on the gangway. 

You mentioned the Sanctuary.  For the first time in four years, we were on a Caribbean cruise and I wanted to hustle up there to make sea day bookings.  There was plenty of space when I and my friend arrived there as first new passengers - very little amount of B2B bookings already made.  The sea days certainly sold out, but wouldn't know how quickly.  We just booked afternoons.  Back in the day, I used to book chairs for the full cruise.

After ensuring we were among the first passengers at the terminal (several minutes before security lines opened), among the first to check in, and being seated right at the door of the P/E/S lounge upstairs, I would not have been amused to not be among the first onto the ship.  As it turned out, no problem being first on and up to Sanctuary.  If not heading for there, I would not care as much either.

Yeah.  My point was that if they are going to go according to some card lettering system to stagger the boarding, then they need to have the appropriate cards at each check in station so that they are given in the order that people arrive.

We like to board early not to book online services, but to eat lunch before it gets too crazy, and in the case of the Sky, explore the new ship before it gets super crowded.

6 hours ago, steelers36 said:

All I can say is that on November 1, the man in charge, so to speak, announced on his mike that he would be calling groups in order by letter.  He certainly began with "A", but after that IDK whether everyone just got up and headed out because by the time he would have called "B", we were already on the gangway. 

You mentioned the Sanctuary.  For the first time in four years, we were on a Caribbean cruise and I wanted to hustle up there to make sea day bookings.  There was plenty of space when I and my friend arrived there as first new passengers - very little amount of B2B bookings already made.  The sea days certainly sold out, but wouldn't know how quickly.  We just booked afternoons.  Back in the day, I used to book chairs for the full cruise.

After ensuring we were among the first passengers at the terminal (several minutes before security lines opened), among the first to check in, and being seated right at the door of the P/E/S lounge upstairs, I would not have been amused to not be among the first onto the ship.  As it turned out, no problem being first on and up to Sanctuary.  If not heading for there, I would not care as much either.

We were on the 17-24 Nov trip on the Regal out of PE T2, and I was surprised that the boarding was slightly different from all the other boardings we'd done in the past, even at T2. We were also among the first few dozen to arrive at the PES Embarkation lounge, checked in and received our Platinum boarding card, with its usual boarding group number. When boarding began, somewhat earlier than usual IIRC, the passenger wrangler, using a small bullhorn, basically said, "...right, all Elites follow me", no mention of group numbers, and they all paraded out, basically in order of where they stood near the door. Within about 5 minutes, he was back and said "...all Platinums , follow me" and off we went. I noticed that the lounge was somewhat emptier than usual when the boarding started, maybe only 3/4 full and not SRO as is usually the case. The first thing we did on boarding was race up to the Sanctuary, and found the longest line we have ever seen. After standing in line for at least 45 minutes, there were no usable loungers left available (need shade, no sun) and so for the time in a long time, no Sanctuary for us.

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We were on the 17-24 Nov trip on the Regal out of PE T2, and I was surprised that the boarding was slightly different from all the other boardings we'd done in the past, even at T2. We were also among the first few dozen to arrive at the PES Embarkation lounge, checked in and received our Platinum boarding card, with its usual boarding group number. When boarding began, somewhat earlier than usual IIRC, the passenger wrangler, using a small bullhorn, basically said, "...right, all Elites follow me", no mention of group numbers, and they all paraded out, basically in order of where they stood near the door. Within about 5 minutes, he was back and said "...all Platinums , follow me" and off we went. I noticed that the lounge was somewhat emptier than usual when the boarding started, maybe only 3/4 full and not SRO as is usually the case. The first thing we did on boarding was race up to the Sanctuary, and found the longest line we have ever seen. After standing in line for at least 45 minutes, there were no usable loungers left available (need shade, no sun) and so for the time in a long time, no Sanctuary for us.

We left from T2 on a Thursday and returned to T21 on the Sunday you departed.  I guess the best strategy is not only to arrive early, but be situated near the doorway. 

In prior years, if I was about the first Platinum on board, I could hustle up to Sanctuary and beat most of the Elite's there.  There are probably more people heading there on Caribbean cruises than before - not to mention how many more customers have Elite status now.

Edited by steelers36

With the number of Platinum & Elites growing each year, even getting into the priority lounge at embarkation is getting tougher each cruise. Unless you get to the terminal early the chance of selecting a decent seat in the Sanctuary are harder each year. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

With the number of Platinum & Elites growing each year, even getting into the priority lounge at embarkation is getting tougher each cruise. Unless you get to the terminal early the chance of selecting a decent seat in the Sanctuary are harder each year. 

Exactly right, which is why we always arrive as early as possible, though being only lowly Platinums, no matter how early we get into the lounge, once initial boarding starts, people arriving after us still get to board before us because of their status. Our next trip, on the Sky in April, is our last before making Elite, so hopefully our ability to grab better Sanctuary seating will improve in the future.

Another factor contributing to Sanctuary unavailability is the number of B2Bers, which can be pretty large on some cruises. AFAIK, they end up with priority over everyone owing to when they are permitted to re-board. 

13 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Another factor contributing to Sanctuary unavailability is the number of B2Bers, which can be pretty large on some cruises. AFAIK, they end up with priority over everyone owing to when they are permitted to re-board. 

This is true, again especially for Caribbean sector cruises.  It is not just that they re-board ahead of all new cruisers, but the Sanctuary team allows them to keep their seats (or change) on the final day.  The ones who book for whole cruise have priority over single timers.  Only makes sense.  We were lucky on our last cruise as either very few B2B that time of year (Nov 7 turn-around) or just not that many of them interested in Sanctuary. 

I still love it on certain ships, but don't need it full cruise anymore.