Best Way to Get into New York

MisseyMoo49

You need to define "best".  Also what is "into the city", since the QM2 usually docks in Brooklyn which is part of NYC.  Did you mean into Manhattan?

Uber, Lyft, taxis and the numerous car services are all ways to get from the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, there is a big grey zone on the use of the word "best". Some people mean cheapest, some mean most convenient and/or easiest, some mean most comfortable. 

Considering you are likely to have at least a decent amount of luggage, and you're coming off QM2, I am going to make a guess that "cheapest" is not your number one priority. In that case, I would get a private car. Something like an Uber Black (a nicer version of Uber) or Uber XL (larger) would probably be my choice. You can go to Uber NYC's website to get an origin and destination price estimate for each type of vehicle. Lyft will offer the same types of vehicles, so check them too, as their prices can differ and I usually open up both apps at the time of travel to see which is (a) closer (for quicker pickup) and (b) cheaper. 

• Like 1

There is a ferry terminal right at the pier in Red Hook where you dock.  If you are heading into Lower Manhattan you get off at Wall St/Pier 11.  It is the third stop after you depart Red Hook.  The ferry is the South Brooklyn or SB route.  We did it with our luggage but in the opposite direction.  Took about 15 minutes and was easy-peasy.

Link to the NYC Ferry - South Brooklyn Route

Also check the Cunard Board.  Lots of good information there.

Edited by *Miss G*

Howdy MisseyMoo49!  emo22.gif

Welcome to Cruise Critic and thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! 👍 

Since your inquiry concerns NY, I have moved your thread to the North American HomeportsEast Coast Departures forum where it will be on-topic. 

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you do start a new thread on any forum, first make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry. That helps the members have the information they need in order to help you.

For finding fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you on your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call . For important information about our famous Roll Calls, check out the Roll Calls section in the Guidelines.

The Roll Call thread for your cruise is the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Also, your fellow Roll Call members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Your Roll Call thread is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members may post personal ads about sharing tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on to get to know the other members and allow them to get to know YOU first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

🌟 'Tis the season... 🎄 

21 hours ago, MisseyMoo49 said:

We arrive in NY on Sunday 22nd December on the QM2 & are just wondering the best way to get into the city as we are spending some time there before flying home.  All advice much appreciated.  Thanks

Assuming that you will actually be staying in “the city” (which term, for a visitor, means Manhattan) and you are travelling with more than one carry-on bag each (as Cunard’s dress code almost certainly requires), you will want a taxi or car service to take you to your hotel.  Manhattan hotels do not have shuttle service and you will not want to trundle your bags to the ferry landing so you can then trundle them somewhere after you get to lower Manhattan.

If I were you, I would hang back, get off the ship as late as possible - say 10:00 or so, making it 10:30 to 11:00 by the time you get your bags and into your car. Then go straight to your hotel and drop off your bags.

Please do not say that the “some time” you referred to was just until an evening flight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Assuming that you will actually be staying in “the city” (which term, for a visitor, means Manhattan) 

I grew up in nyc in Brooklyn and Queens and we always referred to Manhattan as the city also. 

53 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Please do not say that the “some time” you referred to was just until an evening flight.

The more details the better to get the best advice from the experienced folks on this forum.

1). Exact destination in “the city”

2). Amount of luggage you will have

3). Date, time, and airport for your flight home.

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Assuming that you will actually be staying in “the city” (which term, for a visitor, means Manhattan)

5 hours ago, George C said:

I grew up in nyc in Brooklyn and Queens and we always referred to Manhattan as the city also. 

Yup.  Folks in Brooklyn and Queens refer to Manhattan as "the city" (as in, "I'm going into the city today").  This was discussed some time ago in another thread.   🙂

• Like 1