Guarantee verandah same price as choosing your own

drakes2

Yesterday I noticed that the ocean view verandas on my Apex Mediterranean sailing next year are offering a GTY that is the same price as choosing the cheapest category which is a 1B on deck six. I decided to downgrade from the IV concierge class I previously had to an OV. It's still a verandah but has a sliding door to go outside. I kept all 4 perks but obviously had to give up the embarkation lunch, canapes, and sparkling wine. Rather than book the guarantee I got a 1 category upgrade to a 1A and got back my original cabin on deck 9. Total savings was $600 which is substantial.  My question is why would a guarantee and choose your own be the exact same price? Doesn't make sense. I did notice deck 6 category 1B didn't even come up on the plan so suspect that is the location of all the guarantees.

I have no answer for you as I find much about pricing and subsequent rationale for it, to be an allusive mystery.  However, it sounds like you got a great deal!  I was not aware that some cabins on Edge/Apex had "regular" balcony rooms.  I thought all balconies were IV and that you actually had to get a suite in order to get a good old fashioned balcony door.  I think it was a good trade letting go of the lunch, bubbly, and canapes to save money AND get a proper balcony door.  Good for you!  I hope you enjoy your cruise!

My guess would be that by selecting the guaranteed rate you may get a higher level cabin. For example if you book a suite guarantee you could end up with a suite at a higher level than the lowest sky suite. For some cruisers the gamble is worth it, others like to pick their own cabin.

There was a thread not too long ago on here when the poster was angry because they had a high captains club status and booked a guarantee verandah and ended up with a 2D room. Clearly, even though he took a guarantee room for any verandah he had expectations of getting a better than room than the cheapest category. I agree that I wouldn't book a guarantee unless it was a substantial savings over picking your own room. But I do think people would take it on the hope for an upgrade.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Oville said:

OP, your OV has a sliding door to a veranda?

Yes it's not a huge veranda but there's a utube of it from a poster on the edge. I prefer it to the IV and for $600 cheaper it was a steal. 

12 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

There was a thread not too long ago on here when the poster was angry because they had a high captains club status and booked a guarantee verandah and ended up with a 2D room. Clearly, even though he took a guarantee room for any verandah he had expectations of getting a better than room than the cheapest category. I agree that I wouldn't book a guarantee unless it was a substantial savings over picking your own room. But I do think people would take it on the hope for an upgrade.

In this case the GTY is a 1B on Apex lowest category ocean view verandah on deck 6 and there is only one left. So the choice is book the guarantee or choose it outright for the same price.  The only decks now available is 7,8 and 9 and I took the last one on deck 9 so in theory I paid for a 1B and got a 1A

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I have no answer for you as I find much about pricing and subsequent rationale for it, to be an allusive mystery.  However, it sounds like you got a great deal!  I was not aware that some cabins on Edge/Apex had "regular" balcony rooms.  I thought all balconies were IV and that you actually had to get a suite in order to get a good old fashioned balcony door.  I think it was a good trade letting go of the lunch, bubbly, and canapes to save money AND get a proper balcony door.  Good for you!  I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thank you. I just didn't feel good about that IV after reading all the negative comments most who have sailed on it did not like and one poster said whoever came up with that name should be fired as it's just a room with a window. With the $600 we saved we can now take that nice long excursion in Naples of the Amalfi coast. But I'm far from done as always looking for deals in every aspect of my life. 😀

Sorry link didn't work... trying again with attachment. Also saw a photo of the round 1A at the bow of the ship. That should give you an idea of the window washers... not sure if they are moved around or parked in the same spot....link to facebook photo showing 1A cabins in the front of the ship

EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View (1).pdf

I used to choose gty when the savings was substantial or only gty was available. When you give up choosing your cabin location, you hope to get a better cabin. It’s a risk. You may get an upgrade or just a cabin in the booked category.  With the bidding for upgrades system in place, it seems futile to hope for an upgrade. Be happy in any cabin. You are on the ship.

• Like 1