Priority boarding taken away from Diamond and Diamond plus members on Liberty of the Seas Royal Caribbean ship

Ysya

36 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Crown and Anchor describes the perks as being "earned". I see them just the same as the points I earn by using a particular credit card. Once I accrue points I am entitled to use them.  I certainly don't see them as a gift bestowed on me. RCCL promotes their loyalty scheme so people will see there is some earned benefit in their repeat business. I'm not sure why people think the OP should feel so grateful for them, or why she should not express disappointment when those  earned benefits are removed.  

Being disappointed is one thing, being furious (as the op said they were) is quite another.  You are right, this is very much like earning points on a credit card however the cc companies can, and do, change their programs as well.  Nothing is set in stone forever.  I know my cc company changed their AM program and opted out of some of their offerings and I was disappointed but they have the right to do so.  

There is still earned benefit in repeat business, just maybe not this one.  They didn't take it all away.  We will just have to get used to some change.  All companies make changes.

3 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

Being disappointed is one thing, being furious (as the op said they were) is quite another.  You are right, this is very much like earning points on a credit card however the cc companies can, and do, change their programs as well.  Nothing is set in stone forever.  I know my cc company changed their AM program and opted out of some of their offerings and I was disappointed but they have the right to do so.  

There is still earned benefit in repeat business, just maybe not this one.  They didn't take it all away.  We will just have to get used to some change.  All companies make changes.

Yes, companies make changes going forward, but having earned points with an airline for example, it would be understandable to feel cheated if they then took your earned points away.  You paid for them, you are entitled to use them. I see this as no different. Some even view this as fraudulent. Why take away a promised Diamond perk from someone who has paid for it..... ? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EDiamond22 said:

also they would have to look at how many D,D+,pin, suite, key, people they have..too many and that "priority" line might just end up longer than general admission lol  

That was the case for one cruise I took. People were getting off the 'priority" line to join the General Admission line. lol. I expect to see more of that as the number of C&A continue grow.

As some else said, there is usually only a few minutes between the two lines. As "perks" go, nice to have but doubt I would miss it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Yes, companies make changes going forward, but having earned points with an airline for example, it would be understandable to feel cheated if they then took your earned points away.  You paid for them, you are entitled to use them. I see this as no different. Some even view this as fraudulent. Why take away a promised Diamond perk from someone who has paid for it..... ? 

Absolutely.  It would be understandable to feel cheated however that doesn't change the fact they can, and do, make changes all the time.  They may have in the past allowed you to keep your earned points forever but make the change that your points will now expire in two years if not used.  Happens all the time.  Doesn't mean that points earned in the past have to be grandfathered in.  Read your contracts, it will state that changes may be made.  Some may view this as fraudulent but you would find it very hard to prove that as there is nothing that says they can't change things up.  Saying its fraudulent is pretty much the same as the op saying they are furious.  Just a touch dramatic.  

Again, JMO and your thoughts are just as right as mine.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinkertwo said:

Absolutely.  It would be understandable to feel cheated however that doesn't change the fact they can, and do, make changes all the time.  They may have in the past allowed you to keep your earned points forever but make the change that your points will now expire in two years if not used.  Happens all the time.  Doesn't mean that points earned in the past have to be grandfathered in.  Read your contracts, it will state that changes may be made.  Some may view this as fraudulent but you would find it very hard to prove that as there is nothing that says they can't change things up.  Saying its fraudulent is pretty much the same as the op saying they are furious.  Just a touch dramatic.  

Again, JMO and your thoughts are just as right as mine.  

But RCCL still promises priority embarkation and disembarkation to Diamond level cruisers, in order to generate repeat business. On paper they haven't changed the rules, but according to OP they are not fulfilling their end of the bargain..... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

hope you read this Mr Bayley and realise it is a mistake to upset your most loyal guests.

This Princess cruise was better than any of our 30 RC cruises for food and service.

It seems that you like the overall Princess product/cruise experience better, not just it's perks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the perks were equal, you'd still pick Princess (assuming comparable price, itinerary, etc)?

Edited by HBE4

11 hours ago, twangster said:

The same occurred in Port Canaveral for D+ while some other ports never allowed D+ in the security lines for suites/pinnacles.

You won't have to search very far to find threads complaining about D+ no longer having access to suites and pinnacles security queue in Port Canaveral.  This started in 2018 IIRC.

However once checked in (after security) then priority boarding was performed for all levels of the C&A program in descending order. 

I don't know if mere Diamonds ever were afforded access to priority security queues in other ports.  I never benefited from that.  

How much time did you lose by having to queue for security with the common folks?

Agree, was same Boston in Oct,...

7 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

But RCCL still promises priority embarkation and disembarkation to Diamond level cruisers, in order to generate repeat business. On paper they haven't changed the rules, but according to OP they are not fulfilling their end of the bargain..... 

Anyone been Traveling over the yrs know programs change without notice, small print backs them up. Royal over last 30+ yrs I been taking their Cruises same. When I first made Diamond over 20 yrs ago was first on and OFF the ship. They even pushed my FIL wheel chair right to our Car then. Cruise to Cruise on same ship can have lost Lounge perk when there is too many of an upper Tier. Is what it is...at least cheaper to Cruise then was 30 yrs ago, dollar for dollar not even taking Inflation into account

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

I think this thread has gotten issues confused.  I'm pretty sure the Op actually is talking about the security line and not embarkation.  They seem to be angry because of the security line.  Is there something that says they get priority there?  Maybe I missed something in a post where he/she didn't get priority embarkation but all I see them talking about is the security line when questioned.  Maybe he/she did get what was promised but assumed more.  I don't know.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ysya said:

Maybe that's because we have lived longer and are entitled to more because of our c&a status.  

Companies change and downgrade their loyalty program perks all the time.  This is not unique to Royal Caribbean.  It is pretty much standard for any loyalty program. Look at all the airlines, the hotels, everyone, who changes their perks constantly.

We fly Southwest all the time. Every year, we accrue enough Rapid Rewards points to earn a companion pass, allowing one person in our family to fly for free. This was always a huge money saver.

Southwest just announced they are raising the limit of Rapid Reward points needed to earn a companion pass. There is no way we are going to ever make it now, so no more companion pass for us starting in 2021 (earned already for 2020.)  I cannot imagine thinking I am "entitled" to keep earning the companion pass at the old requirements just because I fly Southwest a lot and "earned" my perks.  Not the way loyalty programs work. 

We were lifetime platinum with Loews Hotels, earning us a free upgrade to a suite from the lowest priced room. Then Loews just abruptly did away with their loyalty program, so no more suites.  Annoying, but it is within the company's right to change their perks.

Our Hertz loyalty perks have changed so many times, I can't even remember what they were in the beginning.

They are temporary perks that you enjoy while you have them but are never guaranteed (check the fine print) and no one is ever entitled to free stuff.  If it changes, well, it changes and while it might be annoying that you no longer have a FREE perk, you move on.

Loyalty programs are fickle with any company and are well known to change whenever it starts getting too expensive for the company.  Too many people earning companion passes? Up the requirements.  Too many people finally earning Platinum? Do away with the loyalty program.  Too many people earning Diamond or Diamond+?  Change the perks. It is pretty standard. 

These are never 'your" entitlements. Companies change their perks all.the.time.  Unless you actually paid membership into a loyalty club, these are free perks granted by the company and the company is free to change the rewards at any time.

And for the record, I am one of those "old people." Being old gives me the hindsight to know that loyalty programs are always temporary and perks change on a whim.

This seems to be a moot point anyway. From reading this thread and the input from experienced cruisers, a separate security line is not actually one of the perks and is only in a few ports.

20 minutes. I wouldn't sweat it. You could have been in a traffic jam and lost more time. It is vacation. Don't sweat the small stuff 🙂

Edited by cured
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Correct the benefit page should be updated to show what our actual benefits are. There are benefits listed that are no longer given or worth anything. 

1 hour ago, emdia43 said:

Crown and Anchor describes the perks as being "earned". I see them just the same as the points I earn by using a particular credit card. Once I accrue points I am entitled to use them.  I certainly don't see them as a gift bestowed on me. RCCL promotes their loyalty scheme so people will see there is some earned benefit in their repeat business. I'm not sure why people think the OP should feel so grateful for them, or why she should not express disappointment when those  earned benefits are removed.  

I agree.

4 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Correct the benefit page should be updated to show what our actual benefits are. There are benefits listed that are no longer given or worth anything. 

Just curious, as I don´t pay Attention to all the perks, what perks are listed that are not given anymore? 

If they are worth anything or not is probably up to every individual.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

What came of the Princess Advanced Boarding program they piloted last year?  For a nominal fee...

I have no problem going through security as a commoner.  It's a few minutes of my life before days and days of a cruise.  I have often experienced longer queues at TSA PreCheck lines at many airports.  

Once through security and checked in I get to board as the 3rd or 4th group called.  Always before the lower levels of CAS and always before the never-cruised-on-royal.  That to me is priority boarding.  I'm D+.  

The Key introduced a new source of revenue for Royal.  That new revenue helps them keep the cost of cruising affordable for the rest of us.  I'm am totally fine with that, the Key has had zero impact on my D+ perks. 

The Key also generates revenue to help pay for the "free" perks of an ever increasing Diamond/D+ population.  Somebody has to pay for the alcohol in those "free" drinks 🙂

15 minutes ago, 123funcruiser said:

Just curious, as I don´t pay Attention to all the perks, what perks are listed that are not given anymore? 

If they are worth anything or not is probably up to every individual.

Diamond Plus

Turning Concierge lounges into suite lounges

Reduced rate upgrades - now RoyalUp

Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events NOW “THE KEY”, Suites & Pinnacles 

Discounts on balconies now in most cases same pricing as for seniors, resident & non refundable deposit 

Need to ask for robes to use on board & upgraded bathroom amenities 

43 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It seems that you like the overall Princess product/cruise experience better, not just it's perks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the perks were equal, you'd still pick Princess (assuming comparable price, itinerary, etc)?

Our D+ RC perks of the DL and 3 hours free drinks is better than our Princess Elite(Top Tier) perks.

Food and especially service on Princess is far superior to RC.

Princess have a loyalty lounge offering snacks and 8 nightly cocktails for $6.50 each with all other drinks at bar prices.

IMG_20191126_163855.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Diamond Plus

Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events NOW “THE KEY”, Suites & Pinnacles 

Discounts on balconies now in most cases same pricing as for seniors, resident & non refundable deposit 

Thanks for answering.

In regards to the CL it clearly states on select ships only. So it´s Nothing that Needs correction.

Reduced rates Upgrades, again it´s upon availability.

Priority seating, well I´m Holding back on that one, as it might recently have Change, but I had no Problems getting into the reserved seating section on my Cruises.

As for balcony Discounts, why do you think this perk Needs to be better than any other rate being offered By the cruiseline? As I´m neither a US resident nor a Senior it still can be a deal for me.

I´ve never had to ask for the Robes, sometimes for bathroom amenities, but that´s IMO more something About the cabin attendant than a perk not being deliverd as promissed.

Sorry, but with your list I don´t see a Need for the perk sheet needing an update.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

So... let's look at it from Royal Caribbean's point of view.

People are willing to pay extra for the Key in order to get priority boarding.

People are willing to pay extra for a suite and the privileges that come with a suite, including priority boarding.

You are a Diamond member. Something that you have paid nothing for. You are still going to sail with RCI as you obviously like their ships and itineraries, otherwise you wouldn't have made it to Diamond or Diamond+ in the first place. You are still getting things for nothing for being Diamond, such as the free drinks.

You are not going to stop sailing with RCI just because you lose priority boarding, because if you go to another cruise line, you won't get the priority boarding anyway (unless you also have a high enough status with them).

So, with your RCI executive hat on, which passengers are you giving priority boarding to?

The Carnivalization of Royal Caribbean!  They realized Carnival was making a bundle on their Faster to the Fun program and came up with the Key to make Carnival passengers feel at home on RCCL without earning any benefits.  As a Diamond on both lines it ticks me off, having invested about $130,000 in cruises to have the guy  on his first cruise with the inside cabin that cost $500 for 2 people, getting many of the same perks I get when I book a suite on RCCL for $4000 or more.

Edited by DebJ14

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

You are correct.  The extra credit for longer cruises came in Jan 2003 and the extra credit for suites came in Jan 2004.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The double credit for solos came sometime much later, between January 2013 and August 2014.

What I expect for my loyalty is experiences and memories.  If those are right perks are not needed and if not right they are meaningless.

Roy

The extra point came October 2013.

That adjustment came after many years of people asking for it as I recall. 

What I'm not sure is when the 159% solo supplement for members with over 340 pts kicked in. 

Not sure why any of these enhancements to the program would be a concern to those who have not taken advantage of them.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

I am sending this from LoS as we speak. We last cruised on RC in August 2018. I noticed a few changes on this trip from our last sailing on RC:

No more priority in the security line. 
D+ is now lumped with Emerald and Diamond for check in. 
Silverware is no longer pre-rolled in the Windjammer. 
Paper straws instead of plastic (GOOD CHANGE). 
Staterooms don’t open until 1:30 PM (as opposed to 1:00 PM). 

I am sure there were others, but I may not have noticed. I also remember another thread about staff opening the alcoholic beer beverages. I had some bartenders that did and some that didn’t on this trip (Miller Lite has a screw cap). I didn’t specifically ask them to keep it closed; so, that’s still a hit and miss. 

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

Diamond Plus

But still have lounge benefits and 3 drinks loaded on cards, just maybe not 2 lounges to choose from

Agree with this

Cruised on 3 different ships I  sept, Oct and November and had priority seating as D+ on all 3

I'm in the UK - no resident rates for us and our deposits almost always non-refundable anyway

If you get them after asking how is it a downgrade in perks?

Edited by Bobal

2 hours ago, emdia43 said:

As I stated above, Southwest just did this very thing.  They didn't take my actual points away, but they did increase the amount of points needed to qualify for certain perks.  To earn companion status, it used to be 110,000 Rapid Rewards points, from a credit card or flights.  They upped the amount needed to earn companion status to 125,000 points, so effectively the same thing.

I paid for my 110,000 points.  But I don't think I am entitled to the companion pass since they now upped it to needing 125,000 points.  Same as with RCI.  You don't lose your Diamond status, but now it takes more points (higher status) to get into that priority line or you can purchase the right via the key or a suite.

Airlines do this all the time.  They don't take actual points away, just like RCI doesn't take OP's actual status away for her earned perks, but the perks for that amount of points change all the time..

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, 123funcruiser said:

Thanks for answering.

In regards to the CL it clearly states on select ships only. So it´s Nothing that Needs correction.

Reduced rates Upgrades, again it´s upon availability.

Priority seating, well I´m Holding back on that one, as it might recently have Change, but I had no Problems getting into the reserved seating section on my Cruises.

As for balcony Discounts, why do you think this perk Needs to be better than any other rate being offered By the cruiseline? As I´m neither a US resident nor a Senior it still can be a deal for me.

I´ve never had to ask for the Robes, sometimes for bathroom amenities, but that´s IMO more something About the cabin attendant than a perk not being deliverd as promissed.

Sorry, but with your list I don´t see a Need for the perk sheet needing an update.

After dry dock concierge lounges are being turned into suite lounges - so no select ships there. The only concierge lounge that I’m aware of is on the Anthem & Grandeur. 

Upgrades when available, well never available with RoyalUp

C&A Balcony discount - then why even put it as a perk

Robes - We had to ask on ours cruises, I wouldn’t never use but my DH does.