Nieuw Amsterdam - December 14th - Azipod failure

iamwiz82

5 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

I just had another thought … normally the AZIPOD propellers "pull" the ship (are forward of the pod in order to have smoother flow into the propellers) in the routine underway mode. However, with the starboard unit inoperable, perhaps the port AZIPOD is operating in the "push" configuration (propeller aft of the pod) in order to better maintain directional stability in this operating condition. That might explain the turbulence seen at the stern behind the port AZIPOD. Anyone have other ideas?  

The azipod motor does not reverse rotation when going astern, the pod rotates around so instead of pulling water from the bow (moving the ship forward), it pulls water from the stern (moving the ship astern).  So, if the propeller is behind the pod, the ship goes astern, no matter what.  The turbulence you saw was most likely due to the inoperable pod being locked from rotating, causing additional turbulent flow.  If it was a bearing failure, they would not want that pod "free-wheeling" in the ship's wake, so they engage the shaft lock.  If it is going to be a long time before repairs, they will lock the shaft and remove the propeller blades to reduce drag, as they did on RCI's Freedom or Voyager (can't remember which).  If it is a power issue (variable frequency drive failure), they would just let the pod free-wheel.

The additional turbulence is also most likely due to azipod "shimmy", or the tracking back and forth of the pod to maintain course, especially with the propulsion and steering being off-center, and the drag on the side of the inop pod.

If they even could reverse the motor's rotation, the thrust bearing (the bearing that commonly fails), only accepts load in one direction (from the propeller back through the shaft towards the pod), so the comment about damaging the bearing is accurate, but also impossible, short of rewiring the high voltage wiring to the motor.

• Like 1

There are two (maybe more) separate threads about this going on here. The one i'm posting a link to below seems to have the latest news, which is that they're just sailing around and may actually be heading back to Port Everglades. I would suggest that discussion be consolidated to one thread.

Edited by MisterBill99

Obviously, the Captain is doing a sea test run to check the noise and vibration. How's the handling? What's the maximum speed he is comfortable with? What kind of itinerary would be possible at the reduced speed? What are the weather conditions for the next week?

You're find out tomorrow afternoon.

Whatever has been decided. Some people will be unhappy. Should the NA sail with one pod, many people will be delighted to get on board. Some will be unhappy with the noise and vibration? Some with the reduced itinerary.

Should they cancel next week. Some will be delighted by the compensation. Others unhappy with the disruption.

At some point, they will get the pod repaired. Those passengers will be affected. It's a lottery.

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Obviously, the Captain is doing a sea test run to check the noise and vibration. How's the handling? What's the maximum speed he is comfortable with? What kind of itinerary would be possible at the reduced speed? What are the weather conditions for the next week?

You're find out tomorrow afternoon.

Whatever has been decided. Some people will be unhappy. Should the NA sail with one pod, many people will be delighted to get on board. Some will be unhappy with the noise and vibration? Some with the reduced itinerary.

Should they cancel next week. Some will be delighted by the compensation. Others unhappy with the disruption.

At some point, they will get the pod repaired. Those passengers will be affected. It's a lottery.

I’d be happy just to board. I’m supposed to sail on 12/21 over Christmas and would literally be happy with 7 sea days over a cancellation. I’ve been following the ship closely over the last 24 hours and wish I could guess what would happen. In any event, I’m hoping for a Christmas miracle. I know HAL is doing the best they can and don’t fault them for the unexpected happening but at the same time I am

hoping that our holiday isn’t ruined. Fingers crossed for all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

I appreciate everyone's comments. This will be interesting to follow over the next few days. PS I was aboard NAdam on May 4 earlier this year at Canada Place when she was hit by Oosterdam at about 0630.  She has had an eventful year so far. 

We were also on board that day in Vancouver. Was sitting by the Seaview pool with friends. That was a sound I'll never forget. Went back to stateroom and 5 minutes later pounding on our door telling us to evacuate.  We didn't  get far when evacuation was cancelled.

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

I would hold off your delight of the compensation until they say what it is. It might not be as generous as this weeks cruise, where passengers were already onboard. Also, since it's a holiday sailing, a 100% future cruise credit would cost them more than it did this week.

5 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

There are two (maybe more) separate threads about this going on here. The one i'm posting a link to below seems to have the latest news, which is that they're just sailing around and may actually be heading back to Port Everglades. I would suggest that discussion be consolidated to one thread.

I don't agree. There should be two threads. All the conversations should be sorted into two threads.

One thread for Speculation. The other for Useful Information. The UI thread will probably require just 2 pages.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The azipod motor does not reverse rotation when going astern, the pod rotates around so instead of pulling water from the bow (moving the ship forward), it pulls water from the stern (moving the ship astern).  So, if the propeller is behind the pod, the ship goes astern, no matter what.  The turbulence you saw was most likely due to the inoperable pod being locked from rotating, causing additional turbulent flow.  If it was a bearing failure, they would not want that pod "free-wheeling" in the ship's wake, so they engage the shaft lock.  If it is going to be a long time before repairs, they will lock the shaft and remove the propeller blades to reduce drag, as they did on RCI's Freedom or Voyager (can't remember which).  If it is a power issue (variable frequency drive failure), they would just let the pod free-wheel.

The additional turbulence is also most likely due to azipod "shimmy", or the tracking back and forth of the pod to maintain course, especially with the propulsion and steering being off-center, and the drag on the side of the inop pod.

If they even could reverse the motor's rotation, the thrust bearing (the bearing that commonly fails), only accepts load in one direction (from the propeller back through the shaft towards the pod), so the comment about damaging the bearing is accurate, but also impossible, short of rewiring the high voltage wiring to the motor.

Greatly appreciate your detailed explanations, you make it simple to follow.  Thanks for your posts!  Maureen

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I don't agree. There should be two threads. All the conversations should be sorted into two threads.

One thread for Speculation. The other for Useful Information. The UI thread will probably require just 2 pages.

And which thread is this? The other one has an image posted showing that the ship has made it to the Freeport repair facility.

A further thought … if it is the starboard AZIPOD unit that is not now properly operable on NAdam … and this thread has reported earlier that Oosterdam hit NAdam at 0630 on May 4 at Canada Place … let me add that having been aboard NAdam at that time, the allision was on the starboard aft stern location of NAdam … is it possible that the starboard AZIPOD unit was damaged at that time from the substantial impact forces from Oosterdam? Has this current inoperable status of the starboard AZIPOD unit "evolved" from that event 7 months ago? Anyone else have any thoughts? 

2 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

A further thought … if it is the starboard AZIPOD unit that is not now properly operable on NAdam … and this thread has reported earlier that Oosterdam hit NAdam at 0630 on May 4 at Canada Place … let me add that having been aboard NAdam at that time, the allision was on the starboard aft stern location of NAdam … is it possible that the starboard AZIPOD unit was damaged at that time from the substantial impact forces from Oosterdam? Has this current inoperable status of the starboard AZIPOD unit "evolved" from that event 7 months ago? Anyone else have any thoughts? 

There was literally no structural damage to the ships from this incident, some balconies and railings were damaged.  The azipods are tucked well underneath the hull, inboard from both sides and the stern, so it is nearly impossible to have collision damage to an azipod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone heard any definitive answer on whether or not the Nieuw Amsterdam will be sailing for the next cruise on December 21?  It was supposed to be announced at 12pm/3pm. 

I have been looking everywhere I can think of to find an announcement and can't find any news at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaWong said:

Has anyone heard any definitive answer on whether or not the Nieuw Amsterdam will be sailing for the next cruise on December 21?  It was supposed to be announced at 12pm/3pm. 

I have been looking everywhere I can think of to find an announcement and can't find any news at all.

I called when I didn't hear anything by 3pm... They said that they have a team on the ship diagnosing the issue right now and that they are running later than expected so their report isn't ready yet. He said they should know in about an hour or so "if the ship is seaworthy or not". 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LaWong said:

This is why there should only be one thread. Samanthac25 just posted what she had posted in another thread a half hour ago.

Actually I see that she had posted it in yet another thread.

Edited by MisterBill99

2 minutes ago, LaWong said:

This is driving me crazy.  I haven't heard anything and can't find anything either.  I just want to know... 😞

9 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

It's on! Could the slightly delayed return time mean that they will be sailing with the single azipod? This is from Samantha's post in a different thread.

D05D343B-CC1C-4C9C-82E6-B647DE772792.jpe

That is VERY GOOD NEWS for those sailing for a Christmas Voyage.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yes and the only ones with reason for concern are those who booked a very early flight out when returning.

I

agree.  I usually stay over in FLL for at least a day. If the ship is late one could miss a flight.  I would rather get an early flight in a day or two when there are not a lot of ships in port. 

14 minutes ago, Himself said:

agree.  I usually stay over in FLL for at least a day. If the ship is late one could miss a flight.  I would rather get an early flight in a day or two when there are not a lot of ships in port. 

Well in this case you'd need to wait 2 days since Sunday is just as bad as Saturday in terms of cruise traffic. But there are a lot of people who fly in and out of FLL who aren't going on cruises. And not everyone who goes on a cruise has to fly.

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Well in this case you'd need to wait 2 days since Sunday is just as bad as Saturday in terms of cruise traffic. But there are a lot of people who fly in and out of FLL who aren't going on cruises. And not everyone who goes on a cruise has to fly.

One could spend Saturday night and then catch an early Sunday flight home.  In coming cruise ships on Sunday would not be a concern as not too many people would book early morning flights home on disembarkation day.

igraf

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, igraf said:

One could spend Saturday night and then catch an early Sunday flight home.  In coming cruise ships on Sunday would not be a concern as not too many people would book early morning flights home on disembarkation day.

True, I hadn't thought about that.