Nieuw Amsterdam - December 14th - Azipod failure

iamwiz82

We are onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam for today’s sailing.  The captain just announced that due to a technical issue we won’t be leaving on time.  No ETA on sailing currently.  Assuming worst case, what is the Standard Operating Procedure in this case?

If it's just a few hours delay you'll just run a little faster than normal all day tomorrow and reach Grand Turk on time on Monday.  The port schedule currently shows you departing at 22:22.

Edited by catl331

We just got off the ship this morning; it was only a few minutes late coming in, but rumor is that the ship hit a whale yesterday ! There was definitely a loud noise on board. I hope it was some other technical issue and not a whale.  I also hope this next sailing has better luck with the Grand Turk stop than we did - the captain had to skip the port because of high winds, so we had an extra day at sea instead.

3 minutes ago, expectGREATthings said:

I see the Niew Amsterdam is still in Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) so that's not a good sign. Hope everything gets fixed quick.

It’s already been reported that sailaway will be 22.22

Roy

NA now listed on Port Everglades / Broward County vessel traffic website to depart Port Everglades on Dec 16 at 11:11am from Pier 21 with next port listed as TBD.  Looks like the NA will see sunrise, sunset, and another sunrise before she sails...

6 hours ago, AvalonLady said:

We just got off the ship this morning; it was only a few minutes late coming in, but rumor is that the ship hit a whale yesterday ! There was definitely a loud noise on board. I hope it was some other technical issue and not a whale.  I also hope this next sailing has better luck with the Grand Turk stop than we did - the captain had to skip the port because of high winds, so we had an extra day at sea instead.

Typical for this time of year.  We were due to stop at Grand Turk during a Christmas cruise in 2011.  After trying several times to align the ship, the captain announced the winds were too brisk to risk the ship and passenger safety, so we skipped that port.  Since we'd never been to that island, it gave us an excuse to go back.  At present, we've explored that island several times.  Once was probably enough.

4 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

NA now listed on Port Everglades / Broward County vessel traffic website to depart Port Everglades on Dec 16 at 11:11am from Pier 21 with next port listed as TBD.  Looks like the NA will see sunrise, sunset, and another sunrise before she sails...

Must be major problems.  Perhaps the delay is due to ordering parts or needing a technical expert and having to wait for them to arrive.  I should think that the ship would carry extra parts etc., but what do I know?  Can someone who knows about the procedures let us know how a cruise line handles this kind of emergency?  Of course, we don't know for sure what the problem is other than mechanical which could mean anything.

4 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

I had noticed the 11:11 departure but had not realized it was for Monday. Yikes! There is a woman on one of the FB groups who is on board. It's her first cruise 😢.

Edited by MisterBill99

So sorry to hear about this big delay in departure. The "incident" that caused the damage was on Friday afternoon, upon departure from Half Moon Cay. Two tugboats had to guide the ship to the dock in FLL. I guess we were lucky that the ship could navigate that far, or we might still be sitting at sea ! 
I wonder what the cruise director will do to entertain them today. Frankly there's only two comedians and six dancers on board for the main stage shows; for a seven day cruise, HAL does not give you much "bang for the buck" when it comes to shows. This was our first HAL cruise, and from now on we are sticking with Princess and RCI. The service was great, however.

On NA.  Looking out balcony, there are lines of people boarding the ship with luggage.  At first I thought they were workers, but there are infants and children also boarding the aft gangway.  Something is very amiss about this cruise.  Is there really a mechanical issue?

Announcement by the captain a few minutes ago that the repairs cannot be completed at this time.  They are reviewing options to either significantly alter the itinerary or cancel the cruise.  We should know by noon.  

To change the itinerary will require multiple approvals, so we shall see.