Nieuw Amsterdam - December 14th - Azipod failure

iamwiz82

I wonder how dis-embarkation is going to happen and will there be port workers helping with the luggage. I would want to do an early walkoff if allowed.  I really feel sorry for those with flights, could be a real headache. I hope HAL comes through with some nice discounts on future cruises for the passengers besides a full refund.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

It sounds like the azipod is out of service for some time.  How much of a problem would it be for the ship to sail several cruises on one azipod?  I'm pretty sure you have said that the majority of ocean shipping sails with just one propeller.  Is it that big a problem for a cruise ship?

Here's a comparison with a twin engine aeroplane. With only one engine, the plane could make it to the nearest airport. With zero engines, the plane becomes a...... glider.

With two thousand civilians on board (many with mobility issues), no sane captain would risk an evacuation like the Viking ship off Norway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Here's a comparison with a twin engine aeroplane. With only one engine, the plane could make it to the nearest airport. With zero engines, the plane becomes a...... glider.

With two thousand civilians on board (many with mobility issues), no sane captain would risk an evacuation like the Viking ship off Norway.

If you're talking about modern day jet airliners, they don't glide. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

How sad and disappointing for everyone involved...good luck to all.  We are sailing on her in February.  Looking forward to our 1st Caribbean Cruise!  (I hope it's all fixed by then, and not too many others are disappointed...)

Edited by ktbraun

Sad news for those onboard Nieuw A! Hoping they are able to locate a vacant dry-dock in the area and get a new pod shipped there. When this happened on Oosterdam thirteen years ago, they installed a spare pod on a temp basis which was already in the States and sped up the process tremendously

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvalonLady said:

So sorry for the passengers and crew ! Having just spent a week on this ship, it is sad to hear that she is "injured". Any word on what caused the Azipod to fail ?

We were on her from Nov 30-Dec 7. We have sailed and  love all the vista class ships and the NA became our favorite. 

Edited by MISTER 67

4 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Given that the only thing the CD (who isn't really a CD anymore) can offer is more trivia. They have no real activities on HAL anymore. Maybe (s)he could give destination talks about ports the ship wasn't going to visit. Bring out the Music Walk entertainers for extra shows.

Maybe HAL's  powers that be will learn a lesson from having NO experienced CD on that large ship and   knows that a REAL CD  would  have reams of  tried and tested  activities to entertains cruisers.   AND HOW about a CRUIe staff for that CD?  How dos one have 'fun games' if there is no one to start and organize the 'fun'. a?   BUDGET cutting gone  amuck..............      Big loss  for tiny savings !!  Good  investment to staff the fun department properly ?

We here in  this CC forum   have discussed  lackof  real CD;'s several times lately.

Maybe HAL might finally figure out we may sometimes   actually  know about what we speak   We are just the flesh and blood that  put our heads in their beds and open our wallets to do so

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvalonLady said:

So sorry for the passengers and crew ! Having just spent a week on this ship, it is sad to hear that she is "injured". Any word on what caused the Azipod to fail ?

Too early to tell - I'm sure the engineers onboard have an idea

19 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

If you're talking about modern day jet airliners, they don't glide. 

Actually, they do albeit not super efficiently...   couple of [in]famous (Canadian) examples -- the Gimli Glider (Air Canada B767-200); or Transat TS236 (A330-200) -- which glided ~65nm to land in the Açores.       Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 3

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up; Nieuw A is a Signature-class ship along with Eurodam :classic_wink:

I know, they have that extra deck where the Tamarind restaurant is located but besides that, all 6 are almost identical except for the decor.

New info on disembarkation etc.  HAL is doing a pretty good job of communicating- guests can self-disembark now with all shipboard charges reversed plus a full refund of cruise fare, prepaid  excursions etc. plus a 100% future cruise credit equal to fees paid for this trip.  Terrible end to a great vacation,  but HAL is doing the best it can.

Guests can also use the ship as a hotel tonight, and leave tomorrow 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I know, they have that extra deck where the Tamarind restaurant is located but besides that, all 6 are almost identical except for the decor.

I really like where the  E xploration Cafe is located.       Noordami is a really beautiful ship 🙂

3 minutes ago, WScruiser said:

New info on disembarkation etc.  HAL is doing a pretty good job of communicating- guests can self-disembark now with all shipboard charges reversed plus a full refund of cruise fare, prepaid  excursions etc. plus a 100% future cruise credit equal to fees paid for this trip.  Terrible end to a great vacation,  but HAL is doing the best it can.

Sorry to hear this . Safe travels home to those of you I met last week. 

5 minutes ago, WScruiser said:

Wow, what a mess!  I wonder what they're doing about flights for people?  Not everyone has the luxury of being able to drive to port.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

Wow, what a mess!  I wonder what they're doing about flights for people?  Not everyone has the luxury of being able to drive to port.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Flying home today could be VERY difficult.  We flew home yesterday and both flights were completely full.

• Like 1