Cruise Sold Out 120 days prior to sailing?!?

CTCruiser001

We are sailing the Star from Brooklyn in April 2020 for a ten day cruise going to VA., FL., the Bahamas & Bermuda. A few days ago I noticed the sailing disappear from the NCL booking engine, and since then, it has gone off of all the major TA's, and other online booking sites. 

Calls made by numerous passengers through TA's, CAS reps., and PCC's have all resulted in the same answer...That the sailing is fully booked and sold out. We have passed the final payment date for Suites (of which we are sailing in) and have already received our e-docs, made our dining rezzies, etc...

I have a hard time believing this sailing sold out - 120 days before the sail date? It just seems skeptical to me...Does anyone have experience in this, or should I expect to find that the cruise has been canceled? 

My parents are on that cruise and I am equally worried - I called NCL a few days ago and was told the same - Sold OUt. But I don't believe it, esp given the info lately about the Star mech issues. It would be highly unethical for NCL to collect final payments and then pull something shady, but I am still not buying sold out, unless this is some large group that no one was told about prior to booking. If you har anything, please update the post. I will do the same.

When someone posted a few days ago about it being sold out, I called BS...   There is no way possible for that itinerary the ship would be sold out.  I think they will cancel for maintenance and are waiting to make sure they have a berth to do so before announcing it. By blocking new reservations now, they are ensuring they won’t have to pay out more for the cancellations.  

Some similar concerns expressed about the Star on our mid-May Star cruise roll call (mostly about possible missed ports).

MizzouMary posted this on Thursday Dec 12th:

"I received this from the VP of Guest Services: “We are in the process of making some updates.... we will have readily available by next week.” "

Hoping NCL will follow through with more info next week.

No one but NCL knows for sure and they are underhanded in the way they handle these types of things, if it is canceled you might not hear until after the holidays.

Sold out ???? It could be possible because it's easter week and they ran that Black Friday sale of 30% off.

I'm keeping a close eye as I'm on the next sailing, the trans Atlantic out of Brooklyn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CTCruiser001 said:

I have a hard time believing this sailing sold out - 120 days before the sail date? It just seems skeptical to me...Does anyone have experience in this, or should I expect to find that the cruise has been canceled? 

Unfortunately the way NCL plays the game, for you it will be wait and see. It may be sold out or maybe canceled so NCL can get that engine repaired before she crosses the Atlantic on 04/19

6 minutes ago, Langham1865 said:

I also think there is a group booking responsible.  Once all of the group has been booked and reservations completed, they may have cabins open back up. 

This is what happened when we was on the GEM. The group has a time they have to be all booked and then the rest of the rooms will open, if any.

I don't think I can afford a cruise this spring,  but I have been eyeing that one. It was still listed on a couple sites today, but both sites emailed me it was sold out. I never thought about a charter. Interesting...

Edited by AKR2011

On 12/16/2019 at 2:12 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

Spring Break ?

There has to be a something going on and whole lot of it !

Or a College graduation blowout cruise?

For the OP's sake I hope it's not that!🍻

Edited by DirtyDawg

On 12/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, CTCruiser001 said:

We are sailing the Star from Brooklyn in April 2020 for a ten day cruise going to VA., FL., the Bahamas & Bermuda. A few days ago I noticed the sailing disappear from the NCL booking engine, and since then, it has gone off of all the major TA's, and other online booking sites. 

Calls made by numerous passengers through TA's, CAS reps., and PCC's have all resulted in the same answer...That the sailing is fully booked and sold out. We have passed the final payment date for Suites (of which we are sailing in) and have already received our e-docs, made our dining rezzies, etc...

Popular cruises sell out sooner than 120 days.   

I’m booked on the NCL Star for this April 9th voyage.  I Just signed into my NCL and my itinerary now shows the NCL Dawn, different room but same category.  Did a quick fake booking and same room is now $880+ more than what I paid on the Star.  I guess I’m ahead of the game?  Was looking forward to the Star as we went on the Dawn 20 years ago for our Honeymoon. 

The STAR and the DAWN are sister ships of the Dawn class !

Therefore the almost identical deck cabin structure and features.

Replacing the DAWN with the STAR is logical with the least amount of change being encountered. 

The DAWN was based in Boston in the summer-fall season and then the western Caribbean in the winter.

The DAWN and GEM have swapped bases - The DAWN is now in NYC and the GEM in Boston.

What part of the ship positioning the STAR plays in all this is ???

The STAR with its history of engine problems (and others) is best kept close to the major maintenance facility

in the Bahamas - it might be said she is the lemon of the fleet !

6 hours ago, CTCruiser001 said:

You must be in a fb group that I'm not a member of! 😋

I can't find that post anywhere!

I just checked my vacation summary and I'm still showing sailing the Star with all of my dinner reservations and other items still intact.

I keep checking the Dawn sailing - The cabin I have booked on the Star is still available on the Dawn...Nerve-racking is the feeling of the day, as I hope it doesn't disappear from under us if we get switched. It is the LAST cabin available in that category (handicapped - Which we need).

When we had ship swap it was like three weeks before NCL contacted TA who then contacted us.  I found out here on CC.  Sailing was on NCL site still for a couple days and on various online TAs for roughly 10 days.