Mexican Riviera winter weather

Ellipooh

Leaving tomorrow from SF for r/t Mexican Riviera on the Grand.  I’ve been tracking the lovely 75’ - 80’ weather at the 4 ports, but it just occurred to me that I will be at sea most of the next 10 days. It’s barely 50’ in SF right now, and I understand it’s cold in LA and San Diego too. 

I'm expecting room temperature (70’-72’) inside the ship. Any help for outside temperature on sea days in December? Should I bring a swimsuit or my heavy coat??

We did a Mexican Riviera cruise in 2008 (out of San Diego). The first day or two were on

the cooler side and the ports were very warm. We flew home to Portland from San Diego

and were the last flight allowed to land at PDX!  Fire trucks and ambulances met us on the

runway which was covered in ice and snow. A friend with a 4 wheel drive got us home. 

You never know...

17 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

...expect rough seas on you Northbound leg coming back...

Just like to make a point that the "rough seas coming back North" have little to do with the weather.

The seas going north are the same seas you are in going south...

The real reason you encounter rough seas on this route is that modern cruise ships are equipped with stabilizer systems--wings under the water with small engines on them--used to level out the ship.  The drawback with these is that they also slow down the ship.  So, when the ships need to cover longer distances, they pull these wings in--in order to attain higher speeds for the longer distances.  And, typically, most of these Mexican Riviera cruises include long trips between Puerto Vallarta and LA, San Diego or San Francisco.  The stabilizers are retracted and the ship rocks a bit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's very typical for it to be cool the first day to day and a half going down and the same heading back north.  I ended up taking my capris out of my suitcase and replacing them with pants for the first and last 2 days.  It was a good choice.  A light jacket should be fine.  Just a warning though - it's like an icebox in some of the venues like the aft theatre and Princess Live.  Even the crew were complaining that they'd wear their parkas next time.

We took the Grand out of SF last January.  First day out was cool, people were using the pool on day 2.  Mexico was perfect.  Warm all the way back, sat out on my balcony in the sun.  Ocean smooth as glass.  No way to predict anything.  I always take a cardigan for inside wear and that is sufficient.  

On 12/17/2019 at 11:39 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Just like to make a point that the "rough seas coming back North" have little to do with the weather.

The seas going north are the same seas you are in going south...

The real reason you encounter rough seas on this route is that modern cruise ships are equipped with stabilizer systems--wings under the water with small engines on them--used to level out the ship.  The drawback with these is that they also slow down the ship.  So, when the ships need to cover longer distances, they pull these wings in--in order to attain higher speeds for the longer distances.  And, typically, most of these Mexican Riviera cruises include long trips between Puerto Vallarta and LA, San Diego or San Francisco.  The stabilizers are retracted and the ship rocks a bit...

The current on the US Pacific Coast flows from North to South, so on the first part of the voyage when sailing South, you are sailing with the current and are being pushed along, so the voyage tends to be a little smoother. When returning back to San Pedro, the ship cruises in a Northwards direction, against the current and as the ship is fighting against the current, this tends to lead to a slightly rockier return leg. 

• Like 2

done  this cruise many times, we live near San Francisco.  Bring a sweat shirt for the sea days out off San Francisco... cool but pleasant if dressed for it.   When you get to Mexico, you can break out summer clothes.  Enjoy.  I am going again in February...