“Live” from Veendam 10 Day Christmas Cruise 12/18/19

Crazy For Cats

Today started off a bit rough but everything turned out ok.  Before going to bed we set alarm clocks to make sure we got up in time to meet our 8:15 excursion.  After some coffee and catching up on email we thought we were docking early, that wasn’t the case.  The clocks were moved up one hour.  Our cabin stewards did not leave the usual reminder about the change.  The cruise director didn’t mention at the show, in our experience this is normal.  While we knew a time change was coming we just didn’t know what night.  In the end we raced to get shower and cereal from the lounge and made it with time to spare.  Thankfully more coffee would come my way on the excursion.

Today we took the Monkey Land tour.  This was a fun way to spend the morning.  They had no fear of us and started jumping on every as soon as we went into the enclosure.  The monkeys were very cute and weighed about two and a half pounds.  Once we had food to feed them they really climbed over everyone.  BTW they are messy eaters and our clothes are going right to laundry in the morning.  Additionally they listen to commands less than my cats!😂

The evening entertainment was Juan Pablo.  He is a pianist from Cuba.  While this would not normally be my cup of tea I stayed through the whole show, much to both of our surprises.  He was fabulous, very talented and engaged the audience in a fun way.  If he appears on your cruise I would highly recommend attending.

Lunch and dinner were in the lido.  The food was good and the staff are doing an excellent job of keeping everyone happy.

Tomorrow is San Juan.  Looking forward to the day and have no plans.  

• Like 1

Was able to get caught up again and Thank you for posting Canelleto’s menu and the MDR menu. Totally surprised that you did not receive a reminder to move clocks ahead 1 hour!! I can’t believe it was to save on paper🙄
Have a good time with relaxation and enjoy San Juan.

Denise😊

On 12/19/2019 at 2:12 PM, Crazy For Cats said:

I’m not a fan of the aft area disaster. it makes it difficult to enjoy the sea when back there relaxing, drinking or having a snack.  Obviously not a deal breaker as this is our fourth adventure on this ship.

Can you explain "aft area disaster?" We've booked an upcoming cruise on Veendam. Is there cause for concern?

It's wonderful to read along with you! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I'm going on the Veendam soon and I was just wondering if the ship still has a self service laundry? I've heard conflicting reports and I need to know if i should take the detergent out of my suitcase lol

9 hours ago, sunnut said:

Can you explain "aft area disaster?" We've booked an upcoming cruise on Veendam. Is there cause for concern?

When the Veendam was built it had an aft pool.  At some point, before I sailed on the ship, they removed the pool to add cabins.  There are currently hot tubs where the pool used to be.  They are raised thereby blocking views of the ocean when sitting in the aft area.  Not a deal breaker for us but we do enjoy a more panoramic view when having a drink, food or just relaxing.

10 hours ago, dfish said:

It looks like you're mastering the pictures, so I'm guessing there haven't been any more language practice sessions.  Thanks for posting the menus.  I like to pretend I'm on board and pick out my dinner.

Believe me, there are still language sessions. MEOW!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Was able to get caught up again and Thank you for posting Canelleto’s menu and the MDR menu. Totally surprised that you did not receive a reminder to move clocks ahead 1 hour!! I can’t believe it was to save on paper🙄
Have a good time with relaxation and enjoy San Juan.

Denise😊

Other people got their notice.  It just somehow got overlooked in our cabin.  Sometimes ship happens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cuccumella said:

I'm going on the Veendam soon and I was just wondering if the ship still has a self service laundry? I've heard conflicting reports and I need to know if i should take the detergent out of my suitcase

You can remove the detergent from your suitcase. 

If the Veendam does still have a self-service laundry (I don't know if it does or not), HAL provides the detergent; what they provide is safe for the environment. Do bring a few dryer sheets, though. Even if you can't do laundry, they will make your clothes smell good, and they hardly weigh anything. 

Sunday was San Juan day and it was a beautiful day!

We started the day in the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast.  I’m happy to report that the mimosas are complimentary, at least the first one.  Initial service was great, coffee, juice, mimosas and pastry came quickly.  The meal took a half hour and when it arrived was lukewarm at best.  You do need to ask for stevia.

We had booked an excursion while in San Juan but it was cancelled last month.  The operator needed to do maintenance on the tour boat.  That was disappointing as a boat tour was a new excursion for HAL.  We spent the day walking around old San Juan and it did not disappoint.  The city is all decorated for Christmas and it is beautiful, especially after dark when they turn on the lights.  I brought along treats for the cats of San Juan, I made a few friends and could have brought one sweetie home with me.  We also ate at one of the local restaurants, Cayo Caribe, it has become a must stop for us.  The food is good, not expensive and nice portions.  It was also very nice to see lots of vendors stay past 5 pm.  We did help to support the local economy.

Since we ate off ship we had pizza on board.  The pizza was really good and hit the spot along with an adult beverage.  While snacking we could hear the Viking Seas muster drill.  It sounded much like the HAL muster until they went into details about evening activities.  Luckily they were not standing on the promenade deck.  Some were in the dinning room and were nicely asked to leave quickly.

Laundry service was used and came back on the same day.

We attended the 9 pm happy hour in the Crows Nest.  The bartender didn’t know how to make a mango champagne dream.  He finally called someone for the directions and got it right.  When he saw my star status he remarked that is why I know of that drink.  While drinking our last call drinks the ship finally tooted!  Three short blasts of the horn at 10:30!  Glad I was still awake to hear them.

As a follow up, the concierge offered us lunch in the Pinnacle Grill for not getting the time change card.  I thanked him for the offer but declined.  Sometimes ship happens.  Everything worked out just fine.

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Fixed auto correct
  • Like 1

T

2 hours ago, erewhon said:

Great to see the San Juan photos and the ship decorations.

Thank you.

Beautiful decoraions and lovely photos.  Thank you  mucho

On 12/21/2019 at 2:09 PM, kazu said:

Thanks for the info Crazy.  Sheesh on no sweetener in the Neptune Suites.

I totally get that they want to save on the packaging and packets, but if that’s the case, they should have little ramekins available to use with Saran in the Neptune Lounge or even better, have them filled next to your coffee maker in the suite wrapped in Saran.  And of course, now they need spoons 😉 

Glad they found packets for you.  Not much point in a coffeemaker if you can’t have what you want in your coffee 😉 

zip zero  gone !

On Monday our port of call was St Thomas.  We booked nothing ahead having been there plenty of times before.  We walked around the shops for a bit and were back on board for lunch.  

Straws are also under limited supply.  They switched from plastic to paper and Im ok with that change.  They have signs that straws will be provided upon request, ok with that too.  When I ordered two mango daiquiris and asked for straws I was told they were all out.  The bartender make the drinks less frozen so we could drink them.  That was disappointing and will now check before ordering a frozen drink to see if straws are available.  If not I’ll pass.

We attended the evening show with singers and dancers.  “Atlantic Crossing” was another rerun for us.  The show was just ok.  Talking with a British couple at 9 pm happy hour they were less impressed and walked out.

Yesterday at sail away we did get one “get your butts on the ship” toot.  Then we got three nice, although short, departure toots.  At least the ships horn is working.😀