Is Oceania mobility disabled friendly?

Petoonya

Anyone have experience being wheelchair bound  on O? Just read a review from someone who  banged the drum loudly against O for not providing assistance to passengers with compromised mobility.  I recommended O to a wheelchair bound post stroke patient. He does well with cane but is VERY slow, so will need wheelchair/scooter which they hope to rent. The reviewer complained about things such as O providing minimal assistance with transfer to tender, and for not providing wheelchair on boarding and disembarking in port. 

Not the O I know! Have always seen O knock themselves out assisting wheelchair bound passengers. Know a lot depends on degree of immobility and the passenger’s expectations. Truthfully my patient is a nice guy but kind of a pain in the neck as far was fussing about being inconvenienced. Don’t know if I’ve done a disservice to him or to O with my recommendation. He and wife are first on waitlist for a Med cruise. This gentleman has cruised once on NCL 20 years ago when he was physically able. 

Thoughts? Thanks!

nancy

Our experience with O and a mobility scooter was very difficult. Tendering was impossible. Even when docked, the ramps were either very steep or had stairs at both ends. The crew did offer to carry the scooter down the ramp/stairs, but then the disabled person had to somehow walk down/up. On board there were quite a few step-overs at door thresholds. 

On the 'R' ships the accessible cabins are all in the lowest priced category so those cabins sell quickly and O does not do any steps to see if those booking them, need them.  

O wait list process is by cabin category so if a handicapped passenger was second on a waitlist and an accessible cabin opened up it would go to the person first on the list and then when a non accessible cabin in the same category opens it would be offered to the handicapped passenger who would have to pass.   A very good TA may be able to help in this case. 

Getting through the doors out to the promenade deck and some doors on deck 9 are hard to get through.

The steps on the ramps are very much like real steps where on some other cruise lines each step is more like a half step making it easier to use for handicapped passengers.  

My wife was able to get help from crew carrying her and her wheelchair down the steps but each time crew from a special department had to be called so that usually took 5 - 10 minutes wait for them. 

2 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

Our experience with O and a mobility scooter was very difficult. Tendering was impossible. Even when docked, the ramps were either very steep or had stairs at both ends. The crew did offer to carry the scooter down the ramp/stairs, but then the disabled person had to somehow walk down/up. On board there were quite a few step-overs at door thresholds. 

I've often seen portable (articulated) scooters folded and portered on/off tenders by crew. I've even seen a few regular scooter wrestled onboard by those same crew.

As for the thresholds (specifically on open decks), what do you expect? After all, it is a SHIP.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I've often seen portable (articulated) scooters folded and portered on/off tenders by crew. I've even seen a few regular scooter wrestled onboard by those same crew.

As for the thresholds (specifically on open decks), what do you expect? After all, it is a SHIP.

No need for rudeness. "After all it is a SHIP". Looking for personal experiences from those who've negotiated transfers, stairs, tenders etc. If you've not had the experience personally then let it go with the negativity.

But I do appreciate your observations about scooters. I've recommended to the folks that they look into an articulated scooter and be comfortable with it before the cruise.

3 hours ago, Waynetor said:

On the 'R' ships the accessible cabins are all in the lowest priced category so those cabins sell quickly and O does not do any steps to see if those booking them, need them.  

O wait list process is by cabin category so if a handicapped passenger was second on a waitlist and an accessible cabin opened up it would go to the person first on the list and then when a non accessible cabin in the same category opens it would be offered to the handicapped passenger who would have to pass.   A very good TA may be able to help in this case. 

Getting through the doors out to the promenade deck and some doors on deck 9 are hard to get through.

The steps on the ramps are very much like real steps where on some other cruise lines each step is more like a half step making it easier to use for handicapped passengers.  

My wife was able to get help from crew carrying her and her wheelchair down the steps but each time crew from a special department had to be called so that usually took 5 - 10 minutes wait for them. 

Your comments are SO appreciated and so helpful. I am forwarding this to the couple in hopes that this may assist them in their decision. Thanks very much!

5 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

Wow. This really helps a lot. I'm thinking that stairs may discourage this gentleman. He does ok at home but I think not used to the distance up and down he'd have to maneuver. He may make progress between now and late August but unless it is considerable I think he'd be most distressed. Thanks so much for your kindness in sharing your experiences.

nancy

42 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

No need for rudeness. "After all it is a SHIP". 

No one is being rude.

Many external doorways on ships have a raised threshold for what should be obvious reasons.

For the convenience of passengers, small ramps ease their negotiation.

Interestingly, this is the perfect example of an ADA architectural exception courtesy of  "reasonable accommodation" when the situation requires that safety trump all else.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No one is being rude.

Many external doorways on ships have a raised threshold for what should be obvious reasons.

For the convenience of passengers, small ramps ease their negotiation.

Interestingly, this is the perfect example of an ADA architectural exception courtesy of  "reasonable accommodation" when the situation requires that safety trump all else.

And yet, having sailed on Saga's brand new ship, there were no ramps or thresholds for me to negotiate and all external doors were automatic. It was a dream for any physically/mobility challenged people.  I am on Marina in August next year and hoping I won't find it too much of a problem.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

And yet, having sailed on Saga's brand new ship, there were no ramps or thresholds for me to negotiate and all external doors were automatic. It was a dream for any physically/mobility challenged people.  I am on Marina in August next year and hoping I won't find it too much of a problem.

Thanks Host Sharon. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to look at the Saga line and see if something they'd like. It's Sirena they are waitlisted on and maybe not optimal for his needs. Appreciate your input.

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No, it's not because it's a SHIP, it's because Oceania's "R" ships are OLD SHIPS.  Newer ships are built with a minimum of such thresholds and impediments and can more easily be negotiated by mobility scooters. Oceania's "R" ships are 20 years old and were built before cruise lines were concerned about such issues and before cruise lines had the legal need to make reasonable accommodation for disabled passengers. All Oceania did was retrofit some ramps. They probably should have done something about retrofitting automatic doors to replace those very heavy ones that have to be manually opened.

And your post does come off as being rude.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, it's not because it's a SHIP, it's because Oceania's "R" ships are OLD SHIPS.  Newer ships are built with a minimum of such thresholds and impediments and can more easily be negotiated by mobility scooters. Oceania's "R" ships are 20 years old and were built before cruise lines were concerned about such issues and before cruise lines had the legal need to make reasonable accommodation for disabled passengers.

Thanks very kindly. I've only cruised five times on O, six in April and all on R's. I've never taken note of the degree of difficulty navigating the ship for those on scooters and in wheelchairs, and discouraged. We don't sail Regatta for me to look closely at what he'll find displeasing until April and they'll need to make final by then.Think I better have a talk with them and have them re-evaluate. He'll be livid unless he's assisted in all his needs and sounds like the way the ship is set up, he'll need to be carried in a sedan chair to make him happy.

If he can navigate by himself inside the cabin by himself, use a scooter on the ship, deconstruct the scooter when disembarking in ports, need extra assistance boarding tender and SLOWLY go up and down stairs do you think he'd be ok?

Jeez I just saw him yesterday and he fell and broke his wrist. Something tells me this could still be a disaster in the making with the motion of the ship regardless.

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks very kindly. I've only cruised five times on O, six in April and all on R's. I've never taken note of the degree of difficulty navigating the ship for those on scooters and in wheelchairs, and discouraged. We don't sail Regatta for me to look closely at what he'll find displeasing until April and they'll need to make final by then.Think I better have a talk with them and have them re-evaluate. He'll be livid unless he's assisted in all his needs and sounds like the way the ship is set up, he'll need to be carried in a sedan chair to make him happy.

If he can navigate by himself inside the cabin by himself, use a scooter on the ship, deconstruct the scooter when disembarking in ports, need extra assistance boarding tender and SLOWLY go up and down stairs do you think he'd be ok?

Jeez I just saw him yesterday and he fell and broke his wrist. Something tells me this could still be a disaster in the making with the motion of the ship regardless.

I think he should look at other lines

His expectations will not be met on O

I believe Celebrity or some of the larger newer ships  have more facilities for mobility challenged

Our friend used to sail X before he was completely confined to  a wheelchair  but still had issues getting off in some ports due to the ramps etc...

JMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I think he should look at other lines

His expectations will not be met on O

I believe Celebrity or some of the larger newer ships  have more facilities for mobility challenged

Our friend used to sail X before he was completely confined to  a wheelchair  but still had issues getting off in some ports due to the ramps etc...

JMO

Thanks so much. It's unfortunate as he is a reknown flamenco guitarist and there's an Iberian itinerary on O that really excites him. I guess unless he makes a vast improvement by then, you are right.

****Just looked at itineraries on Celebrity and the only one that would excite them is on Infinity, another Iberian cruise. I sailed Infinity but since they are the same vintage as R ships I don't know if it would be any better....although I sailed before it was extended. No handicapped cabins available now but more chances for cancellation. I guess I'll post on the Celebrity board and see what the consensus is. I'll ask my TA too.

Thanks again. I really extolled Serena to them as I love that ship. But I guess not the one.

Edited by Petoonya

An individual ( his wife went with him) was put off the ship in Reykjavik about half way through our last cruise. He kept falling and was so big it took the crew from maintenance to get him back up each time. Our room  attendants where way to small to handle him. I think the final straw came in the Terrace when he took out a waiter trying to catch him during a fall.

As a good acquaintance of mine that is a ship’s doctor with Celebrity says “ a cruise ship is not an assisted living facility , even though many believe it is!”  He says one would be surprised at the number of people that are banned from lines for physical and ( increasingly) mental health reasons. They are deemed as being a risk to either themselves, fellow passengers, and or the crew.

I pray when my time comes I know when to say “it’s time “ and not have to be booted!

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

An individual ( his wife went with him) was put off the ship in Reykjavik about half way through our last cruise. He kept falling and was so big it took the crew from maintenance to get him back up each time. Our room  attendants where way to small to handle him. I think the final straw came in the Terrace when he took out a waiter trying to catch him during a fall.

As a good acquaintance of mine that is a ship’s doctor with Celebrity says “ a cruise ship is not an assisted living facility , even though many believe it is!”  He says one would be surprised at the number of people that are banned from lines for physical and ( increasingly) mental health reasons. They are deemed as being a risk to either themselves, fellow passengers, and or the crew.

I pray when my time comes I know when to say “it’s time “ and not have to be booted!

Thanks...I'll have a long talk with his wife. I think he's beyond assisted living but I definitely have to make sure they have insurance and pre-existing. Although since they already have a deposit down doubt they'd qualify now- and still waitlisted. I've opened a real can of worms!

I have seen O crew carry pax off the ship in some ports  way back  but now it is  a safety issue for crew  to do this

If they have tender ports  I would advise against thinking he can get off the ship there

Some ports  the gangway for the crew is low  in many cases & PAX can get off there

Kitty9 (Darcy) posted some  problems she had in recent cruises  so maybe she will chime in

On Crystal we tendered into St Barths the other day the seas were bumpy & several less than mobile people tried to get on the tender  it was bad enough for those of us mobile pax to get onboard with help from the crew in the swells

• Like 1

OK...here's the interesting part.

I just had a long talk with my with my TA who is wonderful. She is an Oceania cruise connoisseur and has been selling O since the R ships first came out. She thinks these folks would do fine on Serena. Has a client who walks with 2 canes and those are the only ships he'll sail.

This guy could probably walk with 2 canes. Slowly but he could do it.

Now I'm very confused.

Here’s a tip I learned last cruise.

We didn’t board until after 3:00 in Southampton because we were finishing a tour, so we were unpacking late. The safety drill was announced to begin at 5:15, so I ran down to Martinis to grab my wife and myself a cocktail to finish unpacking with around 5:00. The entire area on 5, including baristas was packed . I asked a guy what was going on, if it was a group party or something. I was informed most all of them had come down early for the drill so they could ride the elevators. He said there was no way he could have walked down 3 flights of stairs, once they turn the elevators off,  with all the people in the stairwells. Then after the drill, he’d ride the elevator back up again!

Petoonya, 

I am not (yet) handicapped but we have traveled on the R ships several times with handicapped travel companions using scooters, canes and crutches.  Having been in the role of assisting these folks I have come to two conclusions: First, while there some inconveniences it is quite possible to have an enjoyable cruise on the R ships.  Second,  it all depends on the attitude of the person.  Those who are easily frustrated and impatient with their limitations simply will not have a good time. The shipboard environment will just multiply their frustration.  For those who accept their limitations with good humor and grace will have a good experience. 

You seem to know your patient pretty well. In advising him please consider how he is likely to react to the inevitable additional inconveniences inherent in travel for a handicapped person.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, robbie21 said:

Petoonya, 

I am not (yet) handicapped but we have traveled on the R ships several times with handicapped travel companions using scooters, canes and crutches.  Having been in the role of assisting these folks I have come to two conclusions: First, while there some inconveniences it is quite possible to have an enjoyable cruise on the R ships.  Second,  it all depends on the attitude of the person.  Those who are easily frustrated and impatient with their limitations simply will not have a good time. The shipboard environment will just multiply their frustration.  For those who accept their limitations with good humor and grace will have a good experience. 

You seem to know your patient pretty well. In advising him please consider how he is likely to react to the inevitable additional inconveniences inherent in travel for a handicapped person.

A very insightful post

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks...I'll have a long talk with his wife. I think he's beyond assisted living but I definitely have to make sure they have insurance and pre-existing. Although since they already have a deposit down doubt they'd qualify now- and still waitlisted. I've opened a real can of worms!

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

OK...here's the interesting part.

I just had a long talk with my with my TA who is wonderful. She is an Oceania cruise connoisseur and has been selling O since the R ships first came out. She thinks these folks would do fine on Serena. Has a client who walks with 2 canes and those are the only ships he'll sail.

This guy could probably walk with 2 canes. Slowly but he could do it.

Now I'm very confused.

I used to own a travel agency, and based on what you've said I would have recommended to a client with issues similar to what you described that they not cruise on an "R" ship .  I'd try to find a cruise ship with more modern facilities that make life easier for passengers who use mobility scooters.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Here’s a tip I learned last cruise.

We didn’t board until after 3:00 in Southampton because we were finishing a tour, so we were unpacking late. The safety drill was announced to begin at 5:15, so I ran down to Martinis to grab my wife and myself a cocktail to finish unpacking with around 5:00. The entire area on 5, including baristas was packed . I asked a guy what was going on, if it was a group party or something. I was informed most all of them had come down early for the drill so they could ride the elevators. He said there was no way he could have walked down 3 flights of stairs, once they turn the elevators off,  with all the people in the stairwells. Then after the drill, he’d ride the elevator back up again!

2 hours ago, robbie21 said:

Petoonya, 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I used to own a travel agency, and based on what you've said I would have recommended to a client with issues similar to what you described that they not cruise on an "R" ship .  I'd try to find a cruise ship with more modern facilities that make life easier for passengers who use mobility scooters.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help here. This is wonderful

!I think what'll I'll do is copy this thread (leaving out the part where I said the gentleman was a bit of a primadonna), show it to his wife and let them decide. Who a lot of terrific info. The wife is well aware of the guy's need to be taken care of and she'll know what to do. Since she's going to be doing most of the heavy work she needs to know. This guy sounds like he would not be put out to miss some of the ports as he keeps asking about happy hour and the lounges, and saying which ports he'll happily miss. I think as long as he boards the ship and gets to experience O's dining, have a few brews and pleasant company he'll probably think he's had a good cruise.

It's all about his attitude as Robbie has said.

21 hours ago, Waynetor said:

We just disembarked from the Marina this morning and, most of the time, the steps were like the "half step" that you describe or even less. Almost like a ramp.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

We just disembarked from the Marina this morning and, most of the time, the steps were like the "half step" that you describe or even less. Almost like a ramp.

Often these matters are tide-dependent. The steps could be gentle when you disembark and quite steep by the time you return (or v.v.)

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

Often these matters are tide-dependent. The steps could be gentle when you disembark and quite steep by the time you return (or v.v.)

That's true. Ours didn't vary a whole lot but sometimes I'd take two at a time.

I also saw at least one person on our Antarctica trip who didn't do ashore at all that I was aware of (an older woman) and she seemed to have a wonderful time.

Yeah, I hate it when those steps are like that, too short for normal walking, generally too far apart to take them two at a time. Many times on our last cruise they would have two exits. The one on the crew deck was much easier to negotiate. 

Clo, did they have the disinfecting mat you had to step on at the bottom of the ramp on your itinerary?