Thoughts on my recent trip

JT1101

I was on QM2 for the Eastbound Transatlantic (December 8-15). I wrote and submitted a review and here are some thoughts:

1) As always the ship and the service were wonderful. Cunard staff have a way of managing to be formal while also being extremely relatable that is refreshing. 

2) The seas were a bit calmer than usual, mostly Because Captain Wells took a more southerly course than usual - to the disappointment of some of us who relish the weather. 

3) I enjoyed most of the entertainment but have too admit that the new "Symphony" show needs some tweaking. 

4) I tried the Verandah steakhouse and was favorably surprised. It is pretty good. 

5) As is typical on QM2, despite it being December I was out on deck a lot and enjoyed it totally. 

• Like 1

Thanks JT1101, appreciate your comments. I'm quite impressed that you were able to venture out on deck in December. We have avoided crossings in December (despite good pricing) for fear of not being able to get some fresh air. Perhaps we need to toughen up a bit and reconsider.

Jack

On 12/19/2019 at 9:54 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks JT1101, appreciate your comments. I'm quite impressed that you were able to venture out on deck in December. We have avoided crossings in December (despite good pricing) for fear of not being able to get some fresh air. Perhaps we need to toughen up a bit and reconsider.

Jack

Jack, I would think that the Chicago winter would prepare you for a December crossing with no problem. I would say go for it. 

Having cruised both, it is hard to fathom:

1. that Cunard and P&O are not only part of the same organization but that they are managed from the same faction within the company.

2. How Cunard's on-land operations, as experienced through their website portal, can be so different from its onboard experience is hard to understand.

My advice to those who may be considering Cunard (or reconsidering) based on their experience of the website: hold your breath, take the plunge and decide on the booking based on Cunard's reputation as an operator of cruise ships.
Top notch - every time we've used them. Cunard's standards haven't dropped out there on the ocean.

• Like 1

We agree with your reaction to the “Symphony” show. We expected better music. In fact, we avoided most of the Royal Court Theatre productions as way too loud and over-produced. Fortunately, other times there were better efforts, like a James Brown (No, not THAT James Brown), the pianist, who made better use of the pretty space.

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove

On 12/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Ah...different tastes. I find I have a problem with how loud much of that sort of thing is. Personal problem, I know, but I hate sitting in a theatre with my fingers stuffed in my ears to avoid pain!

We find just about show on every ship over-amplified - perhaps to cover up a mediocre performance? - so when She Who Must Be Obeyed insists that we attend, we take ear plugs.

We too were on this crossing, and echo your sentiments about wanting rougher seas.  Pity we avoided a wilder ride.

That said, the crossing (our second on QM2), was outstanding, even better than the first.  The ship seemed even more beautiful than I remembered, the Atlantic more captivating, and so many things to do I was busy all day -- too busy.  23 hour days take their toll, but to arrive in England with now jet lag is priceless. 

• Like 1

My husband and I are considering returning from Europe to New York on Cunard.  We have done many Atlantic crossings - all on Holland America, either from Ft. Lauderdale or from Boston/Halifax.  Appreciate any and all advice as to what cabin to choose, dining, and what else we should know about Cunard.

5 hours ago, sansterre said:

My husband and I are considering returning from Europe to New York on Cunard.  We have done many Atlantic crossings - all on Holland America, either from Ft. Lauderdale or from Boston/Halifax.  Appreciate any and all advice as to what cabin to choose, dining, and what else we should know about Cunard.

You will get more answers if you start a new thread to ask this question - I am unable to split this into it's own thread for the moment.

6 hours ago, sansterre said:

We have returned from Europe by ship a number of times - usually between September and November , twice on QM2.  The obvious thought is to book on the port side if you want a balcony, and we find the sheltered (decks 4-6) balconies to be good value, as often more comfortable than the more open ones on higher decks.  We have been generally fortunate in table-mates, so we request large tables. Early or late seating is simply a matter of personal preference.  The Verandah specialty restaurant is worth a try for one evening.  If you are sensitive to motion, midships is the area for you, but QM2 handles seas well, so anywhere near stairs B or C will be convenient to more parts of the ship — she is long, so you will do a fair amount of walking wherever you book.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

We have returned from Europe by ship a number of times - usually between September and November , twice on QM2.  The obvious thought is to book on the port side if you want a balcony, and we find the sheltered (decks 4-6) balconies to be good value, as often more comfortable than the more open ones on higher decks.  We have been generally fortunate in table-mates, so we request large tables. Early or late seating is simply a matter of personal preference.  The Verandah specialty restaurant is worth a try for one evening.  If you are sensitive to motion, midships is the area for you, but QM2 handles seas well, so anywhere near stairs B or C will be convenient to more parts of the ship — she is long, so you will do a fair amount of walking wherever you book.

Thanks - this is just the info I was looking for.  Walking is not easy for me, especially in active seas.  So convenient to Dining is important....also trivia, wherever that might be played.

14 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Thanks - this is just the info I was looking for.  Walking is not easy for me, especially in active seas.  So convenient to Dining is important....also trivia, wherever that might be played.

Trivia is usually held in the Golden Lion Pub (Deck 2) or the Chart Room (Deck 3). Both of those, as well as the entrances to the Britannia Dining Room (Decks 2 and 3), are conveniently located near the C lifts/stairs which are mid-aft. I would suggest either a midships or mid-aft sheltered balcony located near the C lifts/stairs for easiest access to all three of those locations.

Thank you for the mid-ship to mid-art suggestion.

I'm now wondering why Navybankerteacher suggested the port side.  Probably because on a Western cruise, it would be the sunny side of the ship? 

Anything else we should consider?

58 minutes ago, sansterre said:

I'm now wondering why Navybankerteacher suggested the port side.  Probably because on a Western cruise, it would be the sunny side of the ship? 

Exactly right. The port side is the preferred side for a westbound crossing because that's the sunny side of the ship. Also, if you don't want to go out on deck in the early morning hours for the arrival into New York, the ship passes the Statue of Liberty on the port side before she turns around to back into the pier at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

I was starboard side forward (11029) on my crossing and loved it - I was usually up around 6-630 am and my stateroom was close to the observation deck so it was rise, shower, dress then out to observation deck. After that use the glass elevator to deck 7 to go out on Promenade for a couple of laps. Then back to stateroom for some quiet reading time then off to Britannia for breakfast - I admit I had a weakness for their corned beef hash as it is made fresh from scratch and it has the right flavor!

Edited by JT1101
typo on time

2 hours ago, sansterre said:

We just got off the Caribbean cruise yesterday.  Trivia was usually in Golden Lion on Deck 2 - which is near the “C” stairs/elevator and the lower level Brittania Restaurant, or Chart Room similarly located on Deck 3 near the upper level Brittania Restaurant.  If you want to minimize walking, I would suggest you book your cabin as close to the “C” stairs/elevator as possible (on whatever deck you choose) - it will also get you close to the Deck 7 cafeteria.  

Yes - on westbound crossing port side is sunny - making a huge difference.  We also liked it on recent Caribbean cruise - sunny in the mornings on the way down - and sunny and warm the first two afternoons northbound on the way home.

Just to continue the discussion of preferred cabin locations on QM2, I'm partial to sheltered balconies on the starboard side that are forward to mid-forward.

We usually do round trip crossings from New York now. The starboard side gives us good views of the Manhattan skyline and the Statue of Liberty from our balcony prior to sailaway when we are "enjoying" our welcome aboard sparkling wine. And of course the starboard side is the sunny side for eastbound crossings. But I also happen to prefer the starboard side for the westbound return crossing simply because I find that side more interesting during the sailaway from Southampton with its views of Calshot and the Isle of Wight (plus usually rounding the Nab on that side as a bonus).

In terms of forward/mid-forward, we spend a significant portion of our day in Illuminations and the Royal Court Theatre (Insights/Celebrity Guest Lectures, planetarium shows, classical concerts, RADA productions when they are on board, etc.). A cabin location more forward is the most convenient for those activities.

We enjoy either side of the Queen Mary 2 when we sail.

We been booking Club Britannia on Deck 12 all the most recent sailings.

This upcoming sailing in June 2020 to NE/Canada we will be located Mid Ship by Elevator/Stairway B on the Port Side.

We will be enjoying watching the Boro of Brooklyn on Sailaway thru the VZ Bridge. Then along Long Island Coast and then view of the City of Halifax. Suburbs of Boston and Portland.

We will have to wait till the return trip to NYC for the Sun in the Mornings.

Having a Balcony a fords us that beautiful view of the open Ocean with it's Sunrises and Sunsets. 

20 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Exactly right. The port side is the preferred side for a westbound crossing because that's the sunny side of the ship. Also, if you don't want to go out on deck in the early morning hours for the arrival into New York, the ship passes the Statue of Liberty on the port side before she turns around to back into the pier at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

Ahhhh. yes!  I'd like to see the Statue of Liberty when headed into New York City.......much like my grandmother would have seen it at age 16 a hundred+ years ago.  (But her ship took several weeks and I'm sure she didn't have a balcony cabin.)

Perhaps leaving Southhampton, there is a place on the Starboard side to see some of the highlights mentioned y Bluemarble (above)?  I do enjoy sunrises and sunsets at sea, but seeing cities, islands, geological formations, etc are even more interesting to me.

Thanks to all for all the information helping us select our cabin location.  Close to entertainment is nice too, but probably not as important as food and trivia for us.