Beverage package included - but I don't drink alcohol!

gailellen12

1 minute ago, MisterBill99 said:

I've seen people commenting that in order to make the beverage package worthwhile "you have to be a drunk". Obviously that is not true.  I'm glad you get good value from it even paying regular price. For us, if we have it on Celebrity we enjoy using it and would order drinks we would not get otherwise but also survive fine when we do not have it on HAL. I also know that there are people whose cruise bar bill is as much as they paid for the cruise, so for them it's well worth it to have the package.

I have seen that also.  Some people feel that their personal level of consumption of adult beverages is the only way, and people who find value in the SBP should be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the daily Bill W meetings    If you, personally don't feel the SBP will be worth the money for your style of cruising, great.  You can state that in your post.  But to case aspersions on other fellow passengers because they realize a savings from the SBP is regrettable. 

On 12/21/2019 at 12:24 PM, gailellen12 said:

HAL has given me a free beverage package; but I am a non drinker>  Has anyone ever tried to negotiate for a shore excursions or other perks in exchange?  thanks for any advice!

The last time HAL "gave me a free drink package" I was able to later reprice (rebook) that same cruise (after the drink promotion had ended) and save over $9000 (no exaggeration).  So that "Free" drink package actually cost us over $9000 (is was a 42 day cruise).

My advice is to keep watching the pricing on your cruise :).  If you are using a cruise agent you also could simply ask your cruise agent to try and get you a price for the cruise without the promotion (drink package).  The mistake many make with cruise bookings (not just with HAL) is assuming that various perks and packages are Free.  In nearly every case the price of the cruise is increased to cover those "Free" packages.

Hank

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The last time HAL "gave me a free drink package" I was able to later reprice (rebook) that same cruise (after the drink promotion had ended) and save over $9000 (no exaggeration).  So that "Free" drink package actually cost us over $9000 (is was a 42 day cruise).

Geeze, that is more than twice the cost of a SBP for 2 people, surely there was something else included (or it was for more than 2 people)? 

1 hour ago, Nang said:

Geeze, that is more than twice the cost of a SBP for 2 people, surely there was something else included (or it was for more than 2 people)? 

Often HAL adjusts pricing after a sale promotion goes off and the amount of the reduction seems to be very dependent on the demand for the booking.  Have seen some price drops less than the package value and some much more.  Again, depends on the popularity of the cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My advice is to keep watching the pricing on your cruise :).  If you are using a cruise agent you also could simply ask your cruise agent to try and get you a price for the cruise without the promotion (drink package).  The mistake many make with cruise bookings (not just with HAL) is assuming that various perks and packages are Free.  In nearly every case the price of the cruise is increased to cover those "Free" packages.

Hank

Some seem to have a problem distinguishing between 'free' as in someone else pays for it and 'included' as in I have no idea what it costs since it's not a separate line item on my bill.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Some seem to have a problem distinguishing between 'free' as in someone else pays for it and 'included' as in I have no idea what it costs since it's not a separate line item on my bill.

That's why I really like the fact that HAL shows both prices on the website. 

OP, I agree with others who suggest refaring. If you booked directly online, you should have seen the two prices. If you used a TA or called HAL, someone should have suggested that you have the option to book without the promo. HAL doesn't offer choices in perks (I think some other lines do). The perks are a package, so don't expect HAL to let you trade one perk for another. 

6 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's why I really like the fact that HAL shows both prices on the website. 

According to TA IdahoSpud, there should normally be FOUR prices for at least most promos: Perks-refundable, Perks-nonrefundable, "bare"-refundable, "bare"-nonrefundable. HAL will show two -- I think the first (highest) and the last(lowest). But your TA in the standardized interface program (Polar? something like that) OR your PCC, will be able to see all four.

On 12/25/2019 at 3:43 PM, Aquahound said:

When the beverage package is included with the cruise purchase, you are not handed a beverage card.  They stamp SBP directly on to your cruise card.  

Where does it state you Must    get beverages in a    bar?  No one will insist a guest  HAS to get a soda, a bottle of water,coffee or anything,  I have never had a HAL beverage card and likely will not  That is not to say I have not  had my share of wine and iced coffee.    I order what I want  and pay whatever it costs.

That is always an easy option.

image.png.46ec07dc31ccff378c5df22b3cdc961e.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

On 12/26/2019 at 5:22 PM, crystalspin said:

Tom O. is also used to Princess, where the Beverage Package is over $70 incl. the gratuity! Except right now they are including it in the Best.Sale.Ever for the equivalent of $15-25pp! Happy New Year!

Thanks Crystal for coming to my defense. Actually the price of $69 per day per person that I came up with was when I looked at what the cost would be if I added a package to my 10 day Baltic Sea cruise next summer. But it turns out I was looking at the Elite Signature Beverage Package. I don't even know the difference between the Elite and Regular Signature Beverage Package. All I know is none of these packages would work for me - although I enjoy having a few drinks, my wife is a teetotaler, and there is no way any of those packages would work for me.

But on my upcoming cruise I probably will purchase a 4 bottle wine package, along with the two bottles I can take on board. that will give me 6 bottles of wine. That should get me through a 10 day cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom O. said:

Thanks Crystal for coming to my defense. Actually the price of $69 per day per person that I came up with was when I looked at what the cost would be if I added a package to my 10 day Baltic Sea cruise next summer. But it turns out I was looking at the Elite Signature Beverage Package. I don't even know the difference between the Elite and Regular Signature Beverage Package. All I know is none of these packages would work for me - although I enjoy having a few drinks, my wife is a teetotaler, and there is no way any of those packages would work for me.

But on my upcoming cruise I probably will purchase a 4 bottle wine package, along with the two bottles I can take on board. that will give me 6 bottles of wine. That should get me through a 10 day cruise.

Unless you are 3/4/5 Star Mariner, I do not think that the discount HAL offers on the wine packages is worth having to  restrict your selection, so check out the list carefully onboard before you purchase - AND be sure to ask if the wine you select are "in stock".

23 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Where does it state you Must    get beverages in a    bar?  No one will insist a guest  HAS to get a soda, a bottle of water,coffee or anything,  I have never had a HAL beverage card and likely will not  That is not to say I have not  had my share of wine and iced coffee.    I order what I want  and pay whatever it costs.

That is always an easy option.

image.png.46ec07dc31ccff378c5df22b3cdc961e.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

With the SBP or EBP, it is not a separate card, it is encoded in your cabin keycard with SBP or EBP printed on it.  You can use your package for anything liquid that you would normally pay for,  anyplace on the ship that has a Point of Sale terminal.   That is about everywhere on the ship, including the MDR and specialty restaurants,  except the gangway for bottles of water going ashore, or HMC.  Also mini-bar purchases are not included.   For the SBP, it's a max menu price of $11 per drink and the Elite package is a max of $15 menu price.  The 15% service charge has already been paid when the package was purchased or given as a promotion, so the 15% SC can be ignored when deciding if the drink you are ordering is covered by your package.   Maximum of 15 alcoholic beverages per 24 hour day.  500 ml bottles of water, sodas in cans and specialty coffees are unlimited and included.   Pickup a few bottles of water at any bar the night before your shore excursion and chill then in your cabin fridge or ice bucket.

Edited by TAD2005
  • Thanks 1

I am among those of us who have zip- zero    NO  interest in any beverage  card`

when I  want a beverage, I  get the attention of a server, request what  I want and   easy as that, one is  brought to me, usually with a smile for me and all others who request a beverage.  Who needs a  package?  Not me.     All the years I have come here to CC, there has been a steady stream of questions  re:  beverage cards.  I'd

rather ask about desserts 🙂  : -)

• Like 1

We had the SBP on our last cruise and can certainly agree that DW and I were not "falling overboard drunk" .  Because they don't give a decent pour of single malt scotch, I always ordered doubles.  Even at 4 of those a day, I came out ahead.  Dw would often have a wine or two with meals, and her amaretto other times like at BB Kings.  5 or 6 alcoholic beverages a day, plus the specialty coffees, water, etc brings you above the break even point in most cases.  The suggestion of doing the math to see if it's worth it for each individual case is definitely worthwhile

Warren

Edited by CruisingAndDiving
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sail7seas said:

I am among those of us who have zip- zero    NO  interest in any beverage  card`

when I  want a beverage, I  get the attention of a server, request what  I want and   easy as that, one is  brought to me, usually with a smile for me and all others who request a beverage.  Who needs a  package?  Not me.     All the years I have come here to CC, there has been a steady stream of questions  re:  beverage cards.  I'd

Never say never.  I don't usually purchase beverage packages either but on my last HAL cruise, it was only $149 to add the SBP to my fare.  That was a no-brainer.  

10 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Never say never.  I don't usually purchase beverage packages either but on my last HAL cruise, it was only $149 to add the SBP to my fare.  That was a no-brainer.  

Until HAL has decent wines by the glass that are available on the SBP, I will say never. I would be happy to trade an equal or somewhat greater "value" in drinks for a decent bottle of wine, but the package doesn't work that way.  I drink tap water and the Lido swill coffee. I might have a morning mimosa and maybe a cocktail in the afternoon on a sea day, but my main alcohol consumption is wine with dinner. Fortunately, I have reached 4-star, so I buy a wine package. For me, that works best. 

For people who like specialty coffees and enjoy a few cocktails (note that I am NOT saying falling down drunk), the SBP can be worth having. 

Our upcoming Alaska cruise is part of a longer holiday put together by our agent in the UK (Canadian Affair). The beverage package is included. When I saw that, I queried it, as I don't drink alcohol and my partner does only sparingly. However, the deal the agent has with HAL includes the package so there was no way we could get a reduction. Still, we'll use it for soft drinks, coffee, water and the partner's glass of wine with dinner and just regard it as part of the cost of the whole holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Our upcoming Alaska cruise is part of a longer holiday put together by our agent in the UK (Canadian Affair). The beverage package is included. When I saw that, I queried it, as I don't drink alcohol and my partner does only sparingly. However, the deal the agent has with HAL includes the package so there was no way we could get a reduction. Still, we'll use it for soft drinks, coffee, water and the partner's glass of wine with dinner and just regard it as part of the cost of the whole holiday.

Great attitude,  I hope  you have a wonderful 'holiday'.