Rolling Stone Rock Room - Big Thumbs up from this cruiser

sprockie

Just wonder, does each lounge get song list from HAL, or sometimes it's up to the band? Especially on R and S class smaller ships? (where there is only one small dance floor in ocean 8 bar) The band we met on Veendam only played one set of dance music each night, other 3 sets were strictly slow jazz.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, Nymich said:

I dug this up as I posted it a year ago on the first US NS departure.  I am curious has anything been added, changed etc...….

Here is a list of songs currently playing on the NS.  This list contains 23 0f the 27 songs they played. I lost the other 4 lol.   They do three 9 song sets each night.  The Memphis based band is still learning other covers so expect this to evolve.   They are very talented.

Two guitarists, bass, keys and drummer make up the five piece current lineup. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask as I spent some time talking with them. 

Hope this helps people traveling on the NS.

Old Time Rock and Roll  Bob Seger

You may be Right   Billy Joel

Summer of 69   Bryan Adams

Don't do me like that    Tom Petty

Honky Tonk Woman   Rolling Stones

Dead or Alive         Bon Jovi

Waiting on the World to Change     John Mayer

With or Without You     U2

Anyway You Want It   Journey

Roadhouse Blues    The Doors

Stay with Me     Faces

Rock and Roll All Night    Kiss

Dreams      Fleetwood Mac

Take it Easy    Eagles

Hey Joe      Jimi Hendrix

Foxy Lady   Jimi Hendrix

Keep your hands to yourself  Georgia Satelites

Hard to Handle  Black Crowes

I don't wanna be    Gavin DeGraw

Running down a Dream  Tom Petty

Dead Flowers    Rolling Stones

All Right Now    Free

Medley (in one song)

Sweet Home Alabama   Lynard Skynard

All Summer Long       Kid Rock

Werewolves of London   Warren Zevon

Edited December 23, 2018 by Nymich

This sounds great!  Can't wait to get to a ship with this venue!

Just to add - we were on the NS for Thanksgiving week, first time on HAL, second cruise overall. I found the Music walk to be the absolute highlight of our cruise. Between RSRR, Billboard, Lincoln Center, and BB Kings, it felt like we were at a floating music festival. Musicians were all top-notch, selections were all good, and no issues with anything being overly loud, at least to us. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rominesh said:

I found the Music walk to be the absolute highlight of our cruise. Between RSRR, Billboard, Lincoln Center, and BB Kings, it felt like we were at a floating music festival. Musicians were all top-notch, selections were all good, and no issues with anything being overly loud, at least to us. 

Agreed wholeheartedly.  We found it to be a wonderful addition to our vacation to be able to take in the various bands and musicians all night every night.  I am personally so glad to see the phasing out of the sedate lounge music and the main stage singing and dancing shows with big band/show tunes.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, sprockie said:

As I mentioned in another thread, my husband and I and our teenage kids just got off the Nieuw Statendam yesterday and wanted to mention how much we enjoyed the Rolling Stone Rock Room.  We had never sailed on the NS or the Koningsdam and were looking forward to checking out this new feature.  We were blown away and thoroughly enjoyed the shows every night.  The band was excellent and played great classic rock.  They were a 5 very talented musicians - each with their own expertise and they put together an amazing show day after day.  It added such a wonderful element to my cruise experience.  I had more fun on this cruise than any cruise in the last 20 years of cruising with HAL.  I've never been so sad to see a cruise end.

I really hope HAL rolls out the same type of classic rock show fleetwide.  It was very crowded every night and everyone was having a great time.  I do hope they find another venue for the Rock Room - I found the room and stage to be small with view-hindering pillars.   I am so happy to see HAL catering more to the baby boomers and the younger passengers.  

We are on the Nieuw Statendam at the moment. Went to the Rock Room two nights ago. The place was jammed with 4 deep standing. DH and I are in our 70’s. Most of the crowd was our age or older. We maybe old but we’re not dead yet.....we loved it. They do a little bit of everything and nothing repeated in the next show of the night.. the early show had the Beatles, Sony and Cher, Queen , Bob Dillon etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Granny DI said:

We are on the Nieuw Statendam at the moment. Went to the Rock Room two nights ago. The place was jammed with 4 deep standing. DH and I are in our 70’s. Most of the crowd was our age or older. We maybe old but we’re not dead yet.....we loved it. They do a little bit of everything and nothing repeated in the next show of the night.. the early show had the Beatles, Sony and Cher, Queen , Bob Dillon etc.

Isn't that band fantastic?  I wish I was on there again!!!

On NS transatlantic in April the RSRR band has a female singer/lead guitarist. She was one of the best rock guitarists i have heard and could really belt out a song. We were there nightly other than their few nights off. It was fun to run between sets to BB King band sets.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:49 AM, MisterBill99 said:

Do' they get them together in one place for a week or two before sending them to the ship? Or do they just show up on the ship never having performed together? I know with Lincoln Center Stage they  rehearse together (in New York, I think).

They practice during the day on the ship to get familiar with each other.

We got back last week from an 11 day cruise on Koningsdam and we LOVED The Rolling Stone Rock Room. We would go from there to the dueling pianos during the band's break and then back again when the piano couple took their break, then a stop at the BB King stage before heading to our room. It was our most loved cruise yet. The only problem now is that my husband will only go on the Koningsdam or Niew Statendam!  🙂

• Like 1

I am thrilled to hear this! We are sailing on the Koningsdam to Alaska in June. We absolutely love live music...can't stand cheesy stage shows, etc. Although we have not cruised extensively, the entertainment has always been my least favorite part.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guinness1000 said:

We got back last week from an 11 day cruise on Koningsdam and we LOVED The Rolling Stone Rock Room. We would go from there to the dueling pianos during the band's break and then back again when the piano couple took their break, then a stop at the BB King stage before heading to our room. It was our most loved cruise yet. The only problem now is that my husband will only go on the Koningsdam or Niew Statendam!  🙂

Exactly, me too.  I will no longer book any cruise ship that doesn't have the rock room.  I know I'd be very disappointed without it now that I know how great it is.  Orlando Ashford...are you listening?

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 10:49 AM, MisterBill99 said:

Do' they get them together in one place for a week or two before sending them to the ship? Or do they just show up on the ship never having performed together? I know with Lincoln Center Stage they  rehearse together (in New York, I think).

On 12/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, taxmantoo said:

So do the Billboard Onboard entertainers.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, PatLuv said:

They practice during the day on the ship to get familiar with each other.

I am just back from Koningsdam and wanted to mention that they apparently do not practice together prior to getting to the ship. Many times one of them will be a short term replacement so it wouldn't be feasible. Also wanted to mention that I thought that Ivy and Sam were the best I've ever seen at BB Onboard, and I thought the previous people we had seen were excellent.

Still wasn't thrilled with RSRR but they were better than last time. I still think that they sound better while seated at BB.

Edited by MisterBill99

17 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I am just back from Koningsdam and wanted to mention that they apparently do not practice together prior to getting to the ship. Many times one of them will be a short term replacement so it wouldn't be feasible. Also wanted to mention that I thought that Ivy and Sam were the best I've ever seen at BB Onboard, and I thought the previous people we had seen were excellent.

Still wasn't thrilled with RSRR but they were better than last time. I still think that they sound better while seated at BB.

That's strange.  Maybe that just applies to the Rock Room performers, much like it applied to the HAL Cats or other groups previously.  I have personally spoken to at least 8 Billboard Onboard performers and they all got a week's practice together before joining the ship.  I have been to 2 Q & A sessions with the Lincoln Center performers and they also get to practice before embarking together.

12 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

That's strange.  Maybe that just applies to the Rock Room performers, much like it applied to the HAL Cats or other groups previously.  I have personally spoken to at least 8 Billboard Onboard performers and they all got a week's practice together before joining the ship.  I have been to 2 Q & A sessions with the Lincoln Center performers and they also get to practice before embarking together.

I don't doubt that LCS have to practice together first. Billboard is different since for the most part they just perform separately, but obviously they need to have the chemistry.  But if they get a week together in most cases, that is great.