Food on Oceania

zltm089

1 minute ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am wondering, from the many mentions of the other ship if things might be better on the Riviera. I certainly hope so.  It can make a difference which ship and who is in charge of food and dining 

While I do think there is a middle ground, and will simply ignore “cheerleaders”, I will say this.  For a line that boasts Best Cuisine,  this just doesn’t seem like it. 

Some of the comments do seem valid. “Devoid of seasoning” not just heat.   

And our health department would be all over luke-warm food. That is an issue. 

I thought that that the food would be a reason to book “O”.  But perhaps the itinerary is the single benefit. 

Again - why not wait until you sail and can judge for yourself. 

That is the ONLY opinion that should matter to you.

Have reasonable expectations. Best cuisine at sea does is not the same as a 3 star Michelin restaurants on land.

Please do tell us afterwards what YOU thought about the food after your cruise.

Happy sailings.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am wondering, from the many mentions of the other ship if things might be better on the Riviera. I certainly hope so.  It can make a difference which ship and who is in charge of food and dining 

While I do think there is a middle ground, and will simply ignore “cheerleaders”, I will say this.  For a line that boasts Best Cuisine,  this just doesn’t seem like it. 

Some of the comments do seem valid. “Devoid of seasoning” not just heat.   

And our health department would be all over luke-warm food. That is an issue. 

I thought that that the food would be a reason to book “O”.  But perhaps the itinerary is the single benefit. 

We have just come back from 3 weeks on Rivera, good food and service, you will be fine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, clo said:

I'll beg forgiveness and admit we gave up our RG res. We have access to so much good Asian food and Thai-influenced isn't our fave.

Doesn't matter if you have access to good Asian food, good tasting food is good tasting food.  My wife and I, her best friend and husband, plus her best friend's husband best friend and wife were on the Marina in 2017 and we all agreed that Red Ginger was everyone's favorite restaurant.  Now, I am Chinese-American who lives in San Francisco all my life while my wife and the other's were born in China and most of them are living in Hong Kong.  All of them are well-traveled and are familiar with various other Asian cuisines.   Red Ginger is really Asian Fusion rather than a collection of regional dishes.  Everyone's favorite was Miso-Glazed Chilean Seabass - never had this dish until I sailed with Oceania.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Doesn't matter if you have access to good Asian food, good tasting food is good tasting food.

Of course it matters. (I also didn't mention that we're not huge fans of "fusion.") I happen to adore foie gras but if someone doesn't then it doesn't matter how good it tastes. Period.

18 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Doesn't matter if you have access to good Asian food, good tasting food is good tasting food.  My wife and I, her best friend and husband, plus her best friend's husband best friend and wife were on the Marina in 2017 and we all agreed that Red Ginger was everyone's favorite restaurant.  Now, I am Chinese-American who lives in San Francisco all my life while my wife and the other's were born in China and most of them are living in Hong Kong.  All of them are well-traveled and are familiar with various other Asian cuisines.   Red Ginger is really Asian Fusion rather than a collection of regional dishes.  Everyone's favorite was Miso-Glazed Chilean Seabass - never had this dish until I sailed with Oceania.

OK - what is your favorite Dim Sum restaurant(s) in the Bay Area?

Your opinion would carry a lot of weight as you would know most of them being a native San Franciscan and Chinese-American 😀

• Haha 1

We just returned from 11 days on Insignia and ate at every venue and room service.  Overall we found the food fair to good.  I think we only had one meal at Polo we both considered very good.  We didn't have anything I would call excellent.  It was a little disappointing as last time (ten years ago) we found the food outstanding.  

Overall the presentation and service was outstanding.  The food seemed to lack flavor.  We equated it to the dining room at the assisted living place my mom had lived.  The portions were good size with some steaks and prime rib "huge" and selections were varied.  In fact, I found the menu in Toscana overwhelming.  

Sorry to say, I found the best food to be at Waves.  The Mexican dog and Matador burger were outstanding; along with the Ruben.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Your opinion would carry a lot of weight as you would know most of them being a native San Franciscan and Chinese-American 😀

Not Paul....but it was  Yank Sing..... not sure it is still there.     I lived 25 years in North bay...   North China was pretty Good. for western taste China...... in Giradelli Sq

7 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Not Paul....but it was  Yank Sing..... not sure it is still there.     I lived 25 years in North bay...   North China was pretty Good. for western taste China...... in Giradelli Sq

It's still there. There's a new'ish place Dragon Beaux out at Geary and 21st IIRC. It's more expensive but honestly worth it. And I've general been a reverse snob think dim sum shouldn't be expensive.

https://foodtalkcentral.com/t/dragon-beaux/3953/23

But looking forward to @deadzone1003 recommendations.

Both are still around and going strong.

Yank Sing being my favorite (and most expensive) followed by Dragon Beaux and Ton Kiang. On my side of the Bay Hong Kong East Ocean is pretty good.

PS - this, of course, is just my opinion and I too am looking forward to hearing from deadzone - always eager to explore new places.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, agnesd said:

Wow!  Equal to an Assisted Living institution.   Hope not. We are headed for Sirena next week.  Food sounds ominous. 

We've only been on one O Marina cruise and the food was terrific.  I can't remember anything spicy but then I wouldn't have expected in/on a venue that's catering to that many people. We used to know a Mexican-American family that when they traveled brought pickled jalapenos with them 🙂

9 hours ago, agnesd said:

Wow!  Equal to an Assisted Living institution.   Hope not. We are headed for Sirena next week.  Food sounds ominous. 

Seriously, not even close.  The food is very good and there are many choices.  These people just need something else in their lives to bellyache about. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We just returned from 11 days on Insignia and ate at every venue and room service.  Overall we found the food fair to good.  I think we only had one meal at Polo we both considered very good.  We didn't have anything I would call excellent.  It was a little disappointing as last time (ten years ago) we found the food outstanding.  

Overall the presentation and service was outstanding.  The food seemed to lack flavor.  We equated it to the dining room at the assisted living place my mom had lived.  The portions were good size with some steaks and prime rib "huge" and selections were varied.  In fact, I found the menu in Toscana overwhelming.  

Sorry to say, I found the best food to be at Waves.  The Mexican dog and Matador burger were outstanding; along with the Ruben.  

Thank you for your honesty and indirect support of others here who dare to point out issues with food on Oceania.

18 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I'm not familiar with dim sum places all over the Bay Area, but the best place in San Francisco and stretching down the peninsula past the airport is probably Palette Tea House & Dim Sum at Ghirardelli Square.  Strange that there is high class dim sum restaurant in a very touristy location, but generally over half their customers during lunch are Chinese.  Their best dish is Char Sui made with Iberico pork - best I ever had in my life.  Almost every dish taste excellent.  Consistency and excellence are what I would expect from a high class dim sum restaurant in some luxury hotel in Hong Kong.  Unfortunately, it is probably the most expensive dim sum restaurant in the Bay Area.

37 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

I'm not familiar with dim sum places all over the Bay Area, but the best place in San Francisco and stretching down the peninsula past the airport is probably Palette Tea House & Dim Sum at Ghirardelli Square.  Strange that there is high class dim sum restaurant in a very touristy location, but generally over half their customers during lunch are Chinese.  Their best dish is Char Sui made with Iberico pork - best I ever had in my life.  Almost every dish taste excellent.  Consistency and excellence are what I would expect from a high class dim sum restaurant in some luxury hotel in Hong Kong.  Unfortunately, it is probably the most expensive dim sum restaurant in the Bay Area.

It's owned by the Koi Palace and Dragon Beaux people and some dishes are made in a shared kitchen. Here's the menu. As you can see it's far from only dim sum.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a904adc4611a09542dda815/t/5e13f69c01a8570f0fa42dde/1578366623973/PGS+-+Lunch+Menu+200106.pdf

2 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Thank you.

I will certainly give them a try in the near future 😊

Again, I think that there is probably a middle ground between old-folks-home and finest cuisine!!!!

Not sure why people have to go after each other?

But, anyhow, while I ignore those far-to-each-side, I do take specific and a credible comments like "lack of seasoning',  or poor quality beef, as stated.    The basic truth is that those things just simply are mutually exclusive to any definition of Best, or Fine, Cuisine.

As far as waiting to try for ones-self.

That is probably not the best suggestion for newbies who are most likely going to be drawn in by all the  "BEST Cuisine at Sea" PR and marketing.   I would rather go I with some good recommendations and some reasonable and informed expectations!

I would not be able to get this insight, if one group decides to personally malign and shout-down any other.

While I do expect many things on 'O' to be better than my last cruise,  (which was mostly GREAT!)  especially the availability of many nicer items, such as lobster, fruit and berries, etc...   I will not be going in with any unrealistic expectations, overall.     The itinerary might be the biggest draw for us to try this cruise line, as the food now seems to be less of factor.

And, as with my last two cruises...  on one sailing, the food quality and preparation was very poor., but on the other it was MUCH better.   (Except for the limited menus and offerings due to the ever present cut-backs).   I do understand that this can come down to which staff is in charge of food and beverage onboard.   That is often a wild-card.

Happy Sailing!!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Deadzone 1003 for your opinion and restaurant recommendation.  

Looking forward to trying it. Maybe with Paulchili if I can find him. 😜

Always glad to take a suggestion from an ABC 😄

I have been on many Oceania many times and have always been pleased with their food . I agree with you, Red Ginger is my favorite .

Happy Sailings       

Better late than never. We've only been home two days and at times have had little or no wifi. I'd like to show food/meals by venue. I'll start with the Terrace Cafe' because except for the specialties we ate all our meals there.

1170314824_IMG_7121-Edited.thumb.jpg.ac208f21fa3fbb12b1948f2a0aeff6e3.jpg

Lamb burger stuffed with a little cheese cooked perfectly medium rare. Got salad instead of bun. So good I went back to the grille and sang their praises 🙂

IMG_7122.thumb.JPG.0410671662459e6d841b941174ef0fbb.JPG

I thought the sushi/sashimi was fine. No better than that but I had it a couple of times.

488396637_IMG_7074-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.041ef2719be3231ed4f74615832d32ea.jpg

Bob's dinner of lobster tail, shrimp, lamb chops and salad. This was probably our first dinner and the grille never disappointed.

897459152_IMG_7051-Edited.thumb.jpg.1ad4f820d73fd7445f712f5f384d625f.jpg

Another dinner of Bob's with steak and more lobster. (He did eventually tire of lobster - for a day or so!) They also do cooked to order pasta.

2093192174_IMG_7055-Edited.thumb.jpg.92a1ae8acbd6f7313af602b45b5cc535.jpg

The requisite croissant photo 🙂 What I especially liked about it is that it didn't cause a crumbly mess like some will. And the bread people do a slick little thing. They put the bread on a small plate so when you put the foil wrapped butter on it, it will be soft by the time you sit down.

408018983_tueslunch-Edited.thumb.jpg.02bec5301dd5fa419132d6aaea6c3580.jpg

Dolmas which were surprisingly good, rare roast beef, grapes, nuts, cheese and crackers. Just a perfect light lunch.

IMG_7073.thumb.JPG.be35e8a0b6a204ff982ad081413fa0f8.JPG

My dinner of lobster, shrimp and salad. I loved it that most days their salad bar included some grains and legumes.

694694867_vegeggroll.thumb.jpg.17397606e19e60048fd9d934d7f93436.jpg

Vegetarian egg rolls. They tasted a lot better than this photo.

1486541032_eggpeaavocadosalad.thumb.jpg.a69c5c6a29be178a9ac965f2e2011ba8.jpg

I was sorry they didn't offer this again. Every lunch included a prepared half sandwich. This was egg, pea and avocado salad. REALLY good.

IMG_7052.thumb.JPG.3f19ca54b273fec5df8147d633fb9f1a.JPG

Not sure if that's lobster or shrimp 🙂 Crab legs, a little piece of filet mignon and some rice and tomatoes.

Edited by clo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ETA: I was honestly surprised how pleased we both were at Terrace. And it was never overwhelmingly crowded. IIRC we got a two-top at each meal. And drinks came promptly. The set up on the buffet, except for the grille was double or triple stations of mostly the same things. For instance, you could get your breakfast at both ends of that area and also in the middle. Or you could go to the grille and they'd cook eggs to order.

1941907966_IMG_7098-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.23bf164fa15f5e2de01521d93c415b38.jpgOkay let's try the specialty restaurants. We canceled our Red Ginger res. Asian fusion and Thai don't turn us on. Different strokes. And Toscana didn't blow us away and neither of us could figure out why. The oil/vinegar thingie seemed perfunctory and I had been looking forward to it. The service was fine but there seemed to be too many people involved in it. But the food was good.

Polo was super. Bob couldn't resist the "small" (only 20oz.) Porterhouse (prime, aged 28 days) and I got the lobster mac n cheese. It had almost as much lobster as cheese. It could have been shared by our people. What is @Paulchili who suggested they might be amenable to little changes from the menu. They were. They had an app with foie gras and mushrooms in puff pastry and I asked if the foie could be removed and simply seared and they did it!

And Jacques lived up to my expectations. More foie, escargots and on and on.

Between these and the Terrace the food on Marina was as good as I had hoped.

1538768026_IMG_7099-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.ca23ea81f3cd8b880e74c1ebdd3da36f.jpg

Amuse bouche. The two balls were cheese and the other two were eggplant and something.

2053765088_IMG_7101-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.a004e7d2596b7aec32496a916baaec62.jpg

The best escargots I've ever had...and I make them at home!

1318224917_IMG_7102-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.dd6c6bcc2a665c81cf522f1f742a91dc.jpg

A double order of seared foie gras with grilled pineapple.

637409804_IMG_7104-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.5a12a0812ed6a7de5858367e8d4eb7c9.jpg

Dover sole. Exquisite.

8041473_IMG_7105-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.8d600f24cf62dadc8aece7743a75e705.jpg

Filet mignon with foie gras. I could sail this line just for the foie.

985696317_IMG_7106-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.89f78c35667b98de103504f004c4b36d.jpg

Prawns with evoo, garlic tomatoes and parsley.

1214292825_IMG_7107-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.05b69e10738ef5af5a8724d13bc82d0f.jpg

Choux a la creme.

1341512803_IMG_7108-Edited(1).thumb.jpg.014a3fe8c7eb4313ede080968bdc328d.jpg

The best creme brulee in the whole wide world. The crust was still warm.