Food on Oceania

zltm089

49 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

As a newbie considering Oceania,  reading this thread, and others about the drinks and champagne, makes me wonder if they are no longer some of the best food and drink at sea?   is it going to end up being about the same as Princess?  I am seeing posts about changes and downgrades.  Poor quality steak, etc.   Yes, I understand that O serves a lot of lobster, but is the same cheap frozen dry tasteless overcooked stuff that can be found at Crown Grill on Princess?

What dishes or foods are favorites.  Live up to the standard? 

What are you experts go-to menu items?

PS:  As a newbie, I have already see a LOT about the more relaxed dress code.  It does seem clear to me that this is not one of the other upscale cruise-lines where one 'dresses' for dinner.   Perhaps some remember differently.  But that seems to be the current information portrayed.  That seems to be the way they are.  I feel that if I get dressed in my jewelry and heels, I will be the one who stands out!

You're giving way too much credit to a few handfuls of complaints on CC where reportedly only 10+\-% of any particular cruise's passengers chat. 

Oceania Club members (anyone with more than one O cruise) number more than 1 million. And it's safe to assume that, if they didn't like the food, they wouldn't be repeat customers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

As a newbie considering Oceania,  reading this thread, and others about the drinks and champagne, makes me wonder if they are no longer some of the best food and drink at sea?   is it going to end up being about the same as Princess?  I am seeing posts about changes and downgrades.  Poor quality steak, etc.   Yes, I understand that O serves a lot of lobster, but is the same cheap frozen dry tasteless overcooked stuff that can be found at Crown Grill on Princess?

What dishes or foods are favorites.  Live up to the standard? 

What are you experts go-to menu items?

PS:  As a newbie, I have already see a LOT about the more relaxed dress code.  It does seem clear to me that this is not one of the other upscale cruise-lines where one 'dresses' for dinner.   Perhaps some remember differently.  But that seems to be the current information portrayed.  That seems to be the way they are.  I feel that if I get dressed in my jewelry and heels, I will be the one who stands out!

lobster is usually well cooked and tastes great; search youtube videos for Oceania food

steaks are not great; filet can be good; better bets are veal and lamp chops

Lobster fra diavolo in Tuscany; octopus carpaccio same; veal oscar and lamb chops and lobster bisque in Polo

jewelry and heels are better for the specialty restaurants than for MDR

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You're giving way too much credit to a few handfuls of complaints on CC where reportedly only 10+\-% of any particular cruise's passengers chat. 

Oceania Club members (anyone with more than one O cruise) number more than 1 million. And it's safe to assume that, if they didn't like the food, they wouldn't be repeat customers.

Amen

You may stand out but if you don't mind, what's the harm?  I earlier referred to our Renaissance cruise where four couples were dressed to the nines even though Renaissance had the same "country club casual" standard as Oceania.  I enjoyed looking at them enjoying themselves although I was very happy to leave my formal gowns at home!

I think the real objections are to what is perceived as a diminishing of the "country club casual" standard.  On our last cruise I wasn't happy to see a neighboring table where the four people had on disreputable jeans and t-shirts.  It didn't disturb my enjoyment of our dinner, however!  As to the food, I don't often order steak on O (I love the prime rib and the leg of lamb) but I've never had a BAD steak.  We all taste food differently so I really don't know how to interpret these negative comments.  We've had an occasional "miss" where food is concerned but in general we have been very pleased.

Mura

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

A little clarification.... You are an O Club member after your first cruise and it does not mean you are a repeat cruiser. Typically the repeaters accout for about 75% of cruisers on any voyage on the premium lines.

O caters to the foodies with lots of food related events but that doesn't make O meals substantially better then the other premium line. We have had some truly excellent meals on our current cruise but that has been offset by the inconsistent quality. Will I cruise on O again... probably. Will I cruise on O only for the food.... no

13 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

A little clarification.... You are an O Club member after your first cruise and it does not mean you are a repeat cruiser. Typically the repeaters accout for about 75% of cruisers on any voyage on the premium lines.

O caters to the foodies with lots of food related events but that doesn't make O meals substantially better then the other premium line. We have had some truly excellent meals on our current cruise but that has been offset by the inconsistent quality. Will I cruise on O again... probably. Will I cruise on O only for the food.... no

Point taken.

That said, if you hit a rough food spot on O, mention it immediately to the restaurants manager or F&B director (both easy to find on such small ships). I trust you'll generally find that your next meal(s) in that venue will be more than stellar.

FWIW, our preference for Oceania is based on the total package: food, service, cabin amenities, crew attitude, interesting long itineraries and a good relationship with many officers onboard and managers in Miami built up over the years. And then there's the passengers who, for the most part, are professionally accomplished and well traveled, cosmopolitan folks who have worked hard for their money. 

When you often spend 50-100 nights annually on a cruise ship, it's an equation that's hard to beat.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I had noticed that Dover Sole on videos.  It looks really great! (Just hoped it wasn't plain or bland)

I also noticed the fish/seafood wrapped in a phyllo puff pastry.   That seemed like it might be a good specialty, too.

Head straight for Red Ginger (Marina, Riviera and Sirena) and order the Duck and Watermrlon Salad and Mizo Glazed Sea Bass. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I had noticed that Dover Sole on videos.  It looks really great! (Just hoped it wasn't plain or bland)

I also noticed the fish/seafood wrapped in a phyllo puff pastry.   That seemed like it might be a good specialty, too.

It was sautéed in lemon with capers. Wonderful!

IMG_7173.HEIC

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wripro said:

If Oceania wasn't worrying about an eroding passenger base they wouldn't send out ten thousand brochures every month!

That is certainly true but I get brochures nearly every day from Regent, Silversea, Viking Ocean and River, Seabourn and Crystal. It's only the higher end lines. Design, printing and postage is expensive especially for the amount of duplications we all get. 

39 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

its called  direct marketing..... all businesses do it..  it makes $$$$      Practical performance  not desperation   I get em from Seabourn, Regent and Crystal.... .....non are hurting for business

I get them from Seabourn and Crystal as well but for every one of those I get I get ten from Regent and Oceania. They fill up  my recycling bin quite fast.

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Head straight for Red Ginger (Marina, Riviera and Sirena) and order the Duck and Watermrlon Salad and Mizo Glazed Sea Bass. 

Definitely second that.  I was focused on the other ships with just two specialties.  I think on the non-Red Ginger ships they do these two acclaimed dishes in the Terrace and GDR every now and then, so keep a close lookout when the daily menus show up (outside the venues each morning).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

....and on a dedicated TV channel in your cabin.

Are the TV versions accurate?  I have seen posts that say they are not what shows up in the venues....   (I obviously haven't been on a very recent cruise.) 

1 minute ago, Clutj said:

Are the TV versions accurate?  I have seen posts that say they are not what shows up in the venues....   (I obviously haven't been on a very recent cruise.) 

Occasionally, they're not posted on the TV until mid-morning. But, even the ones displayed by the GDR AND Terrace aren't posted until after lunch time.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Occasionally, they're not posted on the TV until mid-morning. But, even the ones displayed by the GDR AND Terrace aren't posted until after lunch time.

We were told last cruise to check after 3:00 pm to ensure the menus are updated. Sometimes the staff  has more important stuff to do than give you the dinner menu before lunch time! Some might find it shameful they don’t know whether to (a) eat in the GDR, (b) eat at the buffet; or (c) stand in line for a Specialty reservation by 8:30 in the morning. Personally, I’ve never gone hungry or found something not acceptable  to eat aboard ship. 3:00 pm works!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 3:42 PM, molemaui said:

Pole Grill was nothing special but then again, you can get a steak anywhere. 

But IIRC the specialty restaurants, certainly Polo, serve prime, 28 day aged. We got (only) the 20oz Porterhouse 🙂

I have always loved the prime rib in Polo and DH has enjoyed the filet mignon multiple times on all ships.  Recently we had a pork dish that was beyond fabulous ... although FAR too large!

On 1/2/2020 at 6:10 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Don't know why this showed up since I wasn't quoting Wishing on a Star's comment ...

Edited by Mura

17 hours ago, clo said:

But IIRC the specialty restaurants, certainly Polo, serve prime, 28 day aged. We got (only) the 20oz Porterhouse 🙂

I second.....way to large.. overwhelms all the other tastes.....   6 oz filet  is way more enjoyable.....Its only 1 component  of a multi course evening.     ( I will take a pork tenderloin any day over beef)

Edited by Hawaiidan

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I second.....way to large.. overwhelms all the other tastes.....   6 oz filet  is way more enjoyable.....Its only 1 component  of a multi course evening.     ( I will take a pork tenderloin any day over beef)

Bob just couldn't resist...and did a decent job of it.

Pork, day in and day out, is our fave meat but it depends on the beef. We have a local ranch/butcher that has crazy good grass-raised and finish beef and will age it up to something like 60 days IIRC.

I appreciate all the comments!

I have been looking at the food on Oceania.  And I do have one more question.

Are the beef and the lobster served in the other restaurants, like Polo Grill and Jaque's a good deal better than the MDR.  It sounds like this is true.

I see lobster dishes that look similar, but one looks way better, with maybe a special sauce. 

How is that fish/seafood in phyllo?   seems it is served for two, but wonder a couple could also share a beef dish.

I was trying to see the Crispy Duck and Watermelon Salad, but not sure I have.  Is it more deconstructed on a salad plate, or served more diced all in a bowl/dish?

I like that on Princess, they have the always-available favorites, like their fettucini Alfredo and Ceaser Salad.

Does Oceania have anything like this.  To round out the menu with some standard fare?

Edited by Wishing on a star

I appreciate all the comments!

I have been looking at the food on Oceania.  And I do have one more question.

Are the beef and the lobster served in the other restaurants, like Polo Grill and Jaque's a good deal better than the MDR.  It sounds like this is true.

I see lobster dishes that look similar, but one looks way better, with maybe a special sauce. 

How is that fish/seafood in phyllo?   seems it is served for two, but wonder a couple could also share a beef dish.

I was trying to see the Crispy Duck and Watermelon Salad, but not sure I have.  Is it more deconstructed on a salad plate, or served more diced all in a bowl/dish?

I like that on Princess, they have the always-available favorites, like their fettucini Alfredo and Ceaser Salad.

Does Oceania have anything like this.  To round out the menu with some standard fare?

I may be mistaken but I seem to remember the crispy duck-watermelon salad in Red Ginger. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.