Food on Oceania

zltm089

22 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ah yes...this reminds me of a review of the French Laundry  in Napa.......  The people  found the food terrible  not exciting as it was not like their local diner served...   People have different yard sticks to measure with.     I am reminded ot Jean Shepards quote about his dad "   People only like meat and potatoes and the only eat other things to impress each other.."     I wonder what meals  dining experiences impressed Sailco????     One wonders      Based on personal experiences around the world and many cruise lines, I get the feeling the problem is not with the food

They told you part of the problem the food is not hot

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, petcoke said:

They told you part of the problem the food is not hot

Yes, that would bother me, as well. However, that issue can be addressed easily. Just send it back and tell them why. There are plenty of choices in all restaurant venues, so hope they find something to please their palate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jay23 said:

Oh dear.  I am fast coming to the conclusion that Oceania is not the cruise company for you,  sailco.    I do hope you are more impressed with Polo.    I am horrified to hear that you do not finish the food that you are served.   On this site we keep saying "You won't starve" but it looks as though you are close to being undernourished...   J

By choice.

9 hours ago, sailco said:

Currently on Nautica and I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished. We are not foodies but so far have found the 'best food at sea' to be sorely lacking. Heading to the Polo Grill tonight and looking forward to some improvement.

Do you think all of the feedback about Oceania food being far and away the best might have set up false expectations?  I mean, perhaps it is better but you were expecting a lot more based on a lot of the hype including some here on CC.  I could see that happening personally.   One of the reasons I'm hanging out here on the Oceania forum is to get a better feel for the product from a wider cross section of users.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Do you think all of the feedback about Oceania food being far and away the best might have set up false expectations?  I mean, perhaps it is better but you were expecting a lot more based on a lot of the hype including some here on CC.  I could see that happening personally.   One of the reasons I'm hanging out here on the Oceania forum is to get a better feel for the product from a wider cross section of users.   

On the past couple of cruises, I have found the gravies and sauces to be bland, boring, and uninspired. Many other dishes that are traditionally flavorful or spicy have been bland. Purposely reduced down to neither offend or inspire anyone.

What that leaves are the entrees like the prime rib in the PG. Excellent dish and well prepared, but... The horseradish they offer is among the tamest I’ve ever had and the gravy , just bland. The Pad Thai served in the Terrace was totally absent of tamarind, fish sauce, or peanuts/ peanut butter leaving it to taste like noodles with brown sugar! These are just a few of the examples. Just to many dishes that are good, like meatloaf can be good, but not great or inspirational. So one does have to set their expectations somewhat.

The best meals I have on a cruise are rarely on the ship. That’s probably not fair competition.

I unfortunately find sailco’s comments from the Nautica to resemble my recent experiences.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

On the past couple of cruises, I have found the gravies and sauces to be bland, boring, and uninspired. Many other dishes that are traditionally flavorful or spicy have been bland. Purposely reduced down to neither offend or inspire anyone.

What that leaves are the entrees like the prime rib in the PG. Excellent dish and well prepared, but... The horseradish they offer is among the tamest I’ve ever had and the gravy , just bland. The Pad Thai served in the Terrace was totally absent of tamarind, fish sauce, or peanuts/ peanut butter leaving it to taste like noodles with brown sugar! These are just a few of the examples. Just to many dishes that are good, like meatloaf can be good, but not great or inspirational. So one does have to set their expectations somewhat.

The best meals I have on a cruise are rarely on the ship. That’s probably not fair competition.

Thanks.   Your description of the Pad Thai is not good. LOL.  

BTW, Fish sauce is a secret ingredient in just about everything around our kitchen.  😀

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

If I are nothing but sushi for 7 days I would be happy.

I'm no sushi connoisseur and I ate the sushi/sashimi a couple of times. I thought it was fine but not any better than fine.

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

I can also make a meal of the tapas at the Terrace.

What do you consider "tapas"? I'm trying to picture that.

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I unfortunately find sailco’s comments from the Nautica to resemble my recent experiences.

Really? Is this how you would describe your recent experiences on Oceania:

Currently on Nautica and I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished.

If you really feel like that why would you have booked any future cruises on Oceania? There are lots of alternatives out there.

Edited by Paulchili

4 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, that would bother me, as well. However, that issue can be addressed easily. Just send it back and tell them why. There are plenty of choices in all restaurant venues, so hope they find something to please their palate.

THIS^ And not everything is supposed to be served HOT. A whole lot of meat is supposed to "rest." So it would be warm not hot.

47 minutes ago, ldubs said:

BTW, Fish sauce is a secret ingredient in just about everything around our kitchen.  😀

Me too! I've started using it to "brighten" up a lot of dishes. Soup in particular. And not Asian soup.

• Like 1

I commiserate with the unhappiness expressed by OP (I think it was the OP) with current meals on Nautica although we have never encountered such problems on any of the ships.  I've also seen complaints at various times that food was not served hot.  Again, we've never had a problem with that complaint either.

More recently I've seen a number of comments that food is being -- let's say made more bland.  We never noticed that either but I do have to admit that our last cruise was May 2018 and things may have changed.  I am one who asks for extra hot sauce (or at least hot sauce). 

What occurs to me is -- I can see that with the more senior demographic management may think that making foods blander will satisfy their passengers.  BUT ... clearly they need to be attracting younger passengers since some of us old folks won't be sailing forever ... And won't younger passengers want more flavored food?  I'm not saying they want spicy food ... but herbs are good for flavoring food as well as hot spices!

You can't please everyone but I would think that management should be trying to give all passengers food they will like ... not necessarily every dish, just something for everyone.

If what is passing for the "average" dish on Oceania is blander ... I'd not be happy either.  DH, who introduced me to really spicy food, nowadays has a problem with super-spicy ... but I still want it!

Okay, if I ordered a prime rib or leg of lamb, I don't necessarily want it drowned in hot sauce ... but if I ordered a dish that is supposedly Thai or Indian or Mexican, I want it to have some heat.

Mura

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Really? Is this how you would describe your recent experiences on Oceania:

Currently on Nautica and I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished.

If you really feel like that why would you have booked any future cruises on Oceania? There are lots of alternatives out there.

Paul;

I’ve sailed the Nautica enough to know which dishes I like and which ones bore me. A newbi like sailco hasn’t. The Specialties never change their menu. Some dishes I’d never order again, some are good. I do bemoan that dishes I have liked so much in the past have changed. The lobster risotto once had chunks of lobster in it. Last two times, such tiny pieces the lobster was hard to find! Etc.

I have never gone hungry and have always found something to eat! 

Oceania has had great itineraries. That’s what I sail them for. Honest and straightforward. I don’t like their thus far published Japan itinerary and will be doing another line there, for the ports and itinerary. 

I’m not disappointed in O’s food! It’s good for ship food. I had some good mess hall food in the Army! Once, as an additional duty I was mess officer. Food was good, for a mess hall. The troops didn’t ***** much! I drink good wines regularly. They are good, but now great. When great wines come along, I truly appreciate them! I don’t call the good wines great, nor do I call them poor or mediocre. They are good and nicely drinkable. Oceania has reasonably good food overall, for a cruise line. I prefer the O ships cuisine and find an inordinate amount of quality variation across the brand. If a winery demonstrated the huge variations across their brands as Oceania, it would not fare well for the brand.

• Like 1

Pinot,

I too have sailed on Oceania long enough to have witnessed some changes over the years - and many not for the better (not just food).

For example, I miss the wonderful lobster salad with large chunks of lobster that was frequently served at lunch in Terrace. There are other changes that I have seen over time but that is hugely different from you saying that sailco’s comments from the Nautica resemble your recent experiences when sailco said that “I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished”.

In other words - it’s one thing to say that you have noticed some changes in the foods you like on Oceania and quite another to agree with someone who has left most meals barely touched or unfinished and is yet to be impressed by anything they ate so far on Oceania.

That’s all I am saying.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The lobster risotto once had chunks of lobster in it. Last two times, such tiny pieces the lobster was hard to find!

Oh my, I thought it was just me. Toscana, right? The only meal that truly disappointed. And to have so much great lobster all over the ship!

16 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh my, I thought it was just me. Toscana, right? The only meal that truly disappointed. And to have so much great lobster all over the ship!

Did you try the Pad Thai in RG? That has quite a bit of lobster in it.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Did you try the Pad Thai in RG? That has quite a bit of lobster in it.

I'll beg forgiveness and admit we gave up our RG res. We have access to so much good Asian food and Thai-influenced isn't our fave.

It would appear there was a major turn over of crew at commencement of our cruise following relocation to the Southern Hemisphere. This has impacted across the ship but particularly in food preparation, stores and service, everything from the GDR to Room Service has been affected. 

Please note well, this is not criticism or complaint. Just fact. Now please continue to attack me. We are taking on board all your personal criticisms and will endeavour to correct our dreadful appreciation of Oceania's fine cuisine and service, so please feel free to continue.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sailco said:

It would appear there was a major turn over of crew at commencement of our cruise following relocation to the Southern Hemisphere. This has impacted across the ship but particularly in food preparation, stores and service, everything from the GDR to Room Service has been affected. 

Please note well, this is not criticism or complaint. Just fact. Now please continue to attack me. We are taking on board all your personal criticisms and will endeavour to correct our dreadful appreciation of Oceania's fine cuisine and service, so please feel free to continue.

nice one

13 hours ago, clo said:

I'm no sushi connoisseur and I ate the sushi/sashimi a couple of times. I thought it was fine but not any better than fine.

What do you consider "tapas"? I'm trying to picture that.

On my last O cruise on Riviera in the Med in Oct. 2017, at dinner time in Terrace they were servingappetizers called Tapas on the Terrace. There was a wonderful assortment of interesting tapas set out and I often just had these plus sushi and salad for dinner. Maybe O is not doing this anymore, or maybe it is only on Riviera and Marina. I'll check it out on Sirena later this month and on a marina Baltic cruise in June.

It’s ok Sailco, your opinion is your opinion, and Is valid.  Ignore the cheerleaders.

I had a similar food experience on Seabourn once.  Everything was bland, overcooked, or old-looking.  The buffets looked tired and lackluster.  I even had to spit out the crab “shooter” in the tasting restaurant because the crab was rancid.  It happens.

You can always fall back to bread and good wine, as I did 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

An example of these?

Hard to remember, it was 3 years ago. O must have changed this appetizer spread in terrace or maybe it was only on mediterranean sailings if you are not seeing it now. I do recall all of the tapas/appetizer offerings were fresh and tasty. maybe someone who has sailed recently can confirm whether or not the Terrace appetizers. I tried looking at online menus but that part of the website is down today.

I am wondering, from the many mentions of the other ship if things might be better on the Riviera. I certainly hope so.  It can make a difference which ship and who is in charge of food and dining 

While I do think there is a middle ground, and will simply ignore “cheerleaders”, I will say this.  For a line that boasts Best Cuisine,  this just doesn’t seem like it. 

Some of the comments do seem valid. “Devoid of seasoning” not just heat.   

And our health department would be all over luke-warm food. That is an issue. 

I thought that that the food would be a reason to book “O”.  But perhaps the itinerary is the single benefit. 

• Like 1