Cabin question - Millennium fore or aft of midship, motion sickness

zitsky

So you're not supposed to post cabin questions in the sticky threads.  So not sure if OK to ask this.  I am debating a cruise on Millennium.  Prefer mid ship but it's really a bit more fore/aft.  Midship proper is already booked. 

Debating between being a little fore or aft of mid-ship, maybe 9081 or 9127.  Searched the cabin thread and found a few comments.  Found a suggestion for 9127 and area.  Not many comments on that section just fore of midship 9081 etc.  Not sure why.

Just wondering which location might be better for someone trying to avoid motion sickness.  (We take meclizine.)  I have been on Equinox but I understand M class is smaller.  (We would be cruising Asia in December.  Not sure what ocean is like there/then.)

M class ships aren't really that much smaller that they are significantly more subject to perceived movement. Your position for or aft of midships won't change any rolling movement, since that is side to side. The farthest cabins forward or aft will feel pitching (up and down) movements more. Our cabin on Constellation (Millie's sister) was halfway between the midship and forward elevators on deck 8. We felt very little movement there, even on the day with the most active seas (5 meters, with a cross wind) between Vietnam and Hong Kong. And I'm very susceptible to motion sickness.

30 minutes ago, mom says said:

M class ships aren't really that much smaller that they are significantly more subject to perceived movement. Your position for or aft of midships won't change any rolling movement, since that is side to side. The farthest cabins forward or aft will feel pitching (up and down) movements more. Our cabin on Constellation (Millie's sister) was halfway between the midship and forward elevators on deck 8. We felt very little movement there, even on the day with the most active seas (5 meters, with a cross wind) between Vietnam and Hong Kong. And I'm very susceptible to motion sickness.

Good to know thanks!

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Just wondering which location might be better for someone trying to avoid motion sickness.  (We take meclizine.)  I have been on Equinox but I understand M class is smaller.  (We would be cruising Asia in December.  Not sure what ocean is like there/then.)

I too am susceptible to motion sickness in rough seas, and I also take Meclizine as necessary. I have found that I am better off sticking to the cabins very close to midship or cabins aft of midship. My worst experience was at a party in a suite at the bow (and on a high deck) as we were skirting an Atlantic storm. We were experiencing more pitching than rolling at that point, and I had to leave the party early to retreat to midship. Given a choice between the two cabins you mentioned, I would choose 9127. I hope you have a fabulous cruise🙂

Edited by Silkroad

My first cruise was on the Summit, also an M-class ship. I was worried about seasickness and noticed that I felt the motion more toward the front of the ship than I did toward the back. I was uncomfortable in the sky lounge one night because of the motion, but I felt fine in my cabin, 8162, which was far to the aft. 

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I find that the best place to minimize sea sickness to be dead center -  both Up and Down as well as Forward and Aft.  

I would agree on this one, Jim. We've been very close to dead center on S ships and forward on a HAL ship, and mostly aft now since we prefer suites. The HAL experience was bad due to the location. In high seas the slamming of the bow would wake the dead and one morning we tendered at around 0500 and I learned about the sound of the anchor chains.... Oy, that was a lesson. We now book dead center or as far aft as possible. I am not bothered by most of the ship's movement but my lady is, so we seek the calmer areas of ships.

It’s interesting you posted this because yesterday I changed my cabin assignment on the same ship sailing Japan and even upgraded to move from the forward at the elevator on deck seven to the aft by the elevator on deck eight. Because I’m told that there is less pitch in the aft. Also most of the places I will be going to our midship to aft on the decks anyhow and as I have  A problem with my ankle I have to limit my steps per day so keeping to the app by the elevator works best in general for the place in the shack to visit. So I went from cabin 7070 spent $300 more and I’m now in cabin 8142. 

Edited by LuluNOLA

On our recent Hong Kong - Singapore cruise on Millennium, the ship might as well have been on dry land for all the movement we experienced while sailing.

There was the tiniest amount of roll for a few hours on one day, but that was about it.

Cabin location was pretty much irrelevant, but of course seas can and do vary so no guaranty for the future, but she was an extremely stable ship.

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

On our recent Hong Kong - Singapore cruise on Millennium, the ship might as well have been on dry land for all the movement we experienced while sailing.

There was the tiniest amount of roll for a few hours on one day, but that was about it.

Cabin location was pretty much irrelevant, but of course seas can and do vary so no guaranty for the future, but she was an extremely stable ship.

Time of year, please?

16 hours ago, K12Guy said:

I would agree on this one, Jim. We've been very close to dead center on S ships and forward on a HAL ship, and mostly aft now since we prefer suites. The HAL experience was bad due to the location. In high seas the slamming of the bow would wake the dead and one morning we tendered at around 0500 and I learned about the sound of the anchor chains.... Oy, that was a lesson. We now book dead center or as far aft as possible. I am not bothered by most of the ship's movement but my lady is, so we seek the calmer areas of ships.

You have me laughing this morning.   One cruise we booked a cabin all the way forward on deck 6 on Millennium form my sister.   One morning we were tendering and they dropped anchor at 05:00.     She thought the ship was sinking and grabbed her life vest.    We were in a CS 6104 (exact mid-ship) which was quite smooth but when we walked forward you could feel the ships movement.

I get motion sick and found midship  and decks 7 and 8 to be best -  I'm grateful for today's stabilizers! I cruised a lot as a child (in olden times lol)  and was sick on every one! 

I've been using Scop patches for a few years and they are a godsend. Removes the worry and the bonus is that I'm not susceptible during any land travel that we do. If they work for astronauts hurtling through space, a cruise is child's play. 

Have a wonderful trip!

We were on Millenium in The South China Sea in December 2017. We experienced the roughest seas of any cruise we have ever been on. I had to hold on in the shower and shampoo my hair with one hand. Drawers were opening and closing all night. We were on deck 11 in one of the Aqua class aft cabins. At times I thought we were going to keel over but fortunately I don’t get sea sick so it was fine. 

We were on the Millie from Vancouver - Tokyo in Sept of this year. We were in Cabin 7171 by the aft elevators. Loved the location. We had a couple of rough days and on my walks to get my steps in, I found it was really pitching in the forward areas of the cabins. We didn’t feel that much where we were located. I wouldn’t have wanted to be in those forward cabins with all of that motion. 

53 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

We were on Millenium in The South China Sea in December 2017. We experienced the roughest seas of any cruise we have ever been on. I had to hold on in the shower and shampoo my hair with one hand. Drawers were opening and closing all night. We were on deck 11 in one of the Aqua class aft cabins. At times I thought we were going to keel over but fortunately I don’t get sea sick so it was fine. 

One tip we picked up on CC was to take a roll of strong tape with us to stop wardrobe doors and drawers opening and shutting in the event of rough seas. Sure enough we had several rough  days on our recent Millennium cruise in Asia and the tape worked a treat. 

We were in an aft cabin and did feel quite a bit of movement in these seas, but didn’t bother us. It was more pronounced in the Sky Lounge at the bow however.