San Pedro Hotels

SeaLibrarian

We're taking a Princess cruise out of San Pedro in April. Since we live in a state where anything can happen weather-wise that time of the year, we'll be flying in a day early. Any suggestions as to a hotel in the San Pedro area? Preferably one that offers transportation to the pier. All responses appreciated.

10 minutes ago, SeaLibrarian said:

We're taking a Princess cruise out of San Pedro in April. Since we live in a state where anything can happen weather-wise that time of the year, we'll be flying in a day early. Any suggestions as to a hotel in the San Pedro area? Preferably one that offers transportation to the pier. All responses appreciated.

Like MTJSR my experiences at those 2 hotels have been good.

If you haven’t checked the West Coast Departures or the California Coastal forums, hotels & other useful information are discussed there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/142-california-coastal-pacific-northwest/

17 minutes ago, SeaLibrarian said:

We are going on a Princess cruise at the end of March. We're are driving in from Canada and chose to stay at the Best Western Plus. They provide long term parking at almost half of what they charge at the port and the have a free shuttle to and from the ship. They also have very good reviews. However, I guess it also depends on your budget.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Northumberland said:

We are going on a Princess cruise at the end of March. We're are driving in from Canada and chose to stay at the Best Western Plus. They provide long term parking at almost half of what they charge at the port and the have a free shuttle to and from the ship. They also have very good reviews. However, I guess it also depends on your budget.

Doubletree used to include parking for free. Not sure if they still do.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

They include parking as part of a rate package. Park & Go, or whatever it's called.

I'm pretty sure CP offers something similar.

Edited by Outerdog

Agree with others:

Crown Plaza which is within walking distance of restaurants. You can also get supplies on S. Gaffey St. at Rite Aid, CVS or Vons Grocery.

Doubletree is a very nice hotel at the Marina. There are a few places to dine nearby, but you would have to take their shuttle to get downtown.

Two other slightly less cost options are the Sunrise Hotel on Harbor Blvd not far from the Crown Plaza and the Vagabon Inn right next to McDonalds on S. Gaffey St.

I know that the Crown Plaza, Doubletree and Sunrise offer free shuttle to the pier. Not sure about the Vagabon.

Edited by skynight

4 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

They include parking as part of a rate package. Park & Go, or whatever it's called.

I'm pretty sure CP offers something similar.

It has been a long time since I stayed there. Thanks for the update. It is a pretty hotel. 

Edited by Coral

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

So does the Crowne Plaza with their sail & park packages...both are 2 weeks as I recall.

I don’t like the Best Western Plus’ location on busy Gaffey Street...much nicer for CP with several restaurants a short walk away and the Doubltree located on a quiet small boat marina.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Yes the Hilton Double Tree has free parking when you stay the night prior to the cruise .When arriving you must sign up for the free shuttle to the pier the next day  . 

We are doing a B2B April 18 & 25 ,2020 on Royal Princess & have a room booked with Hilton Honor points  & we also get a free breakfast included because we are gold level with Hilton Honors 

• Like 1

DW & I like Crowne Plaza hotels and will always stay at one when one is located close to where we want to be.  In our opinion, the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro leaves a lot to be desired.  We are not fussy people but while the public areas appear to be well maintained, once you get above the first floor the need for a total refurbishment becomes readily apparent.  We stayed there last April and the neighborhood was unclean with homeless camps on the sidewalks nearby.  We didn't go out after dark and we go into NYC at night plenty of times.  Our room had a broken closet door which interfered with opening and closing the bathroom door.  The furniture needed to be replaced sometime during the Nixon administration.  I do not understand why Crowne Plaza still permits this property to display its brand.  Not a Crowne Plaza we are accustomed to.  Next time we cruise from San Pedro we plan to book at the Double Tree or look into a place in Long Beach.

I'm interested to learn current info about the shuttle from the Crowne Plaza to the cruise ship.  We needed a hotel pre-cruise and contacted them last July to see about a shuttle, as there was nothing on their website about it.  (We had stayed there the year before and used their shuttle.)  They said they didn't have that service any more.  We recalled having seen "for sale" signs on the door as we entered the lobby a year ago, so perhaps the hotel was sold and the new owners declined to offer this service?  I still see nothing about a shuttle on their website.

13 minutes ago, QuilterGirl said:

I'm interested to learn current info about the shuttle from the Crowne Plaza to the cruise ship.  We needed a hotel pre-cruise and contacted them last July to see about a shuttle, as there was nothing on their website about it.  (We had stayed there the year before and used their shuttle.)  They said they didn't have that service any more.  We recalled having seen "for sale" signs on the door as we entered the lobby a year ago, so perhaps the hotel was sold and the new owners declined to offer this service?  I still see nothing about a shuttle on their website.

When we stayed there in April of this year they had a shuttle.  It wasn't free, you paid a fee at the front desk ($5/PP I think), they gave you a ticket to hand over to the driver.  We didn't see it on their website either but I read on this forum that they still had it and when I called, they confirmed having the shuttle.  (The bus was pretty beat up as I remember but it was only a 5-10 minute ride..)

i typically choose to stay in long beach.  it's not far, maybe 20 minutes in the morning by lyft.  but i choose long beach because there is so many more options for hotels and things to do.  more restaurants stay open later, some shopping areas, the free circulator bus downtown.  i've stayed at the hyatt in the pike shops, the westin, courtyard marriott.  all great options, all a block or less away from the bus and easy access to shopping and food options.

san pedro is closer to port, but few things stay open past 5.  i stayed at the crowne, it was ok, my toilet stopped flushing in the middle of the night, so they gave me a second room key for a room across the hall to use the bathroom.  i could have moved rooms, but it was like 3am in the morning and i didn't want to wake my partner. san pedro is lovely and quaint, but it just shuts down early, so if you want any entertainment, you are out of luck.

I will be checking in to the Doubletree tomorrow...one night prior to my Royal Princess cruise...leaving my car there and taking their shuttle to the pier in the morning.  They do shuttle for free to area restaurants as well...but not a concern for me since I'll have my car...Probably the nicest hotel in San Pedro...and in the prettiest location...

Almost stayed at the Crowne Plaza this time...had a reservation there, but then remembered I had an abundance of Hilton points.  A little sad to hear that some of the guest rooms are showing wear...It's generally a nice hotel and the other San Pedro hotel I recommend--especially for the location.  It is very close to a number of good restaurants (we will likely eat at San Pedro Brewing Co. tomorrow night).  And, yes, they also shuttle to the pier (whether they charge or not has gone on and off...and I don't think they've ever charged with a Stay and Cruise package rate)...but, OTOH, if you are reasonably mobile and have rolling luggage, it's not a very long walk to the pier from the CP--about 3 blocks, flat...one street to cross..I've walked it with no problem.

The Best Western gets good reviews from many, but the location leaves a little to be desired...It doesn't have the pretty location that the Doubletree has nor the convenience of the CP...And it is on a very busy street--Gaffey Blvd.--San Pedro's main artery--right around where the 110 Freeway ends and dumps out onto Gaffey.

The Vagabond is next to the Best Western and has had horrendous reviews over many years.  The Sunrise is right across the street from the Cruise Terminal (Well, across the street from the other end of the cruise terminal parking lot--around the corner from the CP)--but has even worse reviews than the Vagabond--straight out scary...I wish someone would buy it, tear it down and replace it with an upscale hotel...

Long Beach does have MANY VERY nice hotels...and some attractions (Aquarium of the Pacific and Queen Mary for two)...and lots of nice restaurant choices including both many familiar chains as well as some nice upscale one-of-a-kinds...and nicer shopping (tourist shopping--not supermarkets, Targets, Walmarts, malls, etc.)...and is a nice option for those with a little extra time...However, it is clear on the other side of the VERY large LA Harbor--about 6-8 miles away depending on where you stay in Downtown Long Beach...so transportation to and from San Pedro is needed.  Also to note regarding Long Beach--it is a very large city on its own--population over half a million--and is many miles across.  There are both very good neighborhoods and some very bad ones...Some hotels are in bad neighborhoods...others in nice neighborhoods, but clear on the other side of Long Beach--so, not convenient to the tourist area and a LONG distance from San Pedro (For instance, the Golden Sails Hotel--in East Long Beach--is about 13 miles from the pier in San Pedro and, with no traffic, takes over a half an hour on City Streets.  To avoid all of that stop and go and make the trip by Freeway, it would be about 26 miles!).  So, if one does decide to stay in Long Beach, book a hotel in the REAL Convention Center area (many LB hotels say they are "downtown" or in the "Convention Center area"...but they are not really.  Stick to the Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, the Renaissance, Westin, Hilton, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown...maybe one or two others, but really don't stray far from that list...And you will need an Uber to get to the ship.

If you just want convenience...and to relax...stick with San Pedro...but get a decent hotel...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I will be checking in to the Doubletree tomorrow...one night prior to my Royal Princess cruise...leaving my car there and taking their shuttle to the pier in the morning.  They do shuttle for free to area restaurants as well...but not a concern for me since I'll have my car...Probably the nicest hotel in San Pedro...and in the prettiest location...

...If you just want convenience...and to relax...stick with San Pedro...but get a decent hotel...

Thanks for the detailed info! 

As far as dining, while staying in San Pedro, I highly recommend "Raffaello Ristorante". Every time we drive down from the Bay Area for a cruise, we eat there. Just check out the google reviews. Be careful, the portions are enormous!

• Like 1