new alleged requirement freaking people out.. Middle Names..

scar4711

So, according to some people on facebook groups, a new requirement is that your middle name is now required on the cruise documents... or else you cannot sail..

and people confirmed the call center is saying this is true..

but... there's no space for a middle name on NCL.com, even creating a new account...

is this another case of the call center getting something mixed up? 🙂

Received an email about this a couple of months ago I think.  Called my TA and she said they had received the email also.  She added our middle names to our bookings.  NCL has no place on line to add them, you will need to call your TA or NCL depending on who you book with.  There was another thread about this somewhere on here

4 minutes ago, tef43 said:

I call BS, if only for the reason that there are people who do not have middle names.  You going to prevent them from cruising?

All that matters is that your name on the cruise documents matches your full name on your passport or alternate form of identification.  If you don't have a middle name on your ID, you won't need it on your cruise documents either.

• Like 5

TSA Requirements

TSA requirements mandate that for all guests who have purchased air, Norwegian Cruise Line must provide TSA with Full Name (as it appears on your passport) that includes middle name if applicable, Date of Birth and Gender. Without this information you can be denied boarding the aircraft.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/air-sea-important-information

Edited by trummy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tef43 said:

I call BS, if only for the reason that there are people who do not have middle names.  You going to prevent them from cruising?

29 minutes ago, scar4711 said:

So, according to some people on facebook groups, a new requirement is that your middle name is now required on the cruise documents... or else you cannot sail..

and people confirmed the call center is saying this is true..

but... there's no space for a middle name on NCL.com, even creating a new account...

is this another case of the call center getting something mixed up? 🙂

So,,, let's be very specific. It is NOT a requirement for middle names. The Department of Homeland Security requires that the name on the reservation MUST match the name on your passport/birth certificate. For most people, your middle name is on your passport, therefore you are required to have a middle name on the reservation. Otherwise Immigration and Customs (not NCL) may deny you boarding. This is especially true if you have a common name that will hit on various "lists". 

• Like 4

ncl_logo.gif

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for making your reservation with Norwegian Cruise Line.

Please be advised that every guest must provide NCL with their full legal names, EXACTLY as they appear on their passports. If your legal name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy.

Failure to comply with this requirement may result in denial of boarding.

Thank you for your attention to this very important matter.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Sincerely,
Norwegian Cruise Line

On all of my NCL cruises over the years, i had no issues with my booking reservation have first and last names. When my passport number is enter online or when swiped at the terminal, my booking is automatically updated with my middle name. I also had no problems boarding the ship

• Like 1

I had called my agent about this because my passport has my full middle name but my reservation only has my middle initial. My agent told me that NCL told her it would be ok.

Update: As a precaution, I just called NCL myself and they added my full middle name to my reservation.

Edited by blcruising

Just now, trummy said:

I got the information from the NCL website. I posted the link above. 

•  
  •  

TSA Requirements

TSA requirements mandate that for all guests who have purchased air, Norwegian Cruise Line must provide TSA with Full Name (as it appears on your passport) that includes middle name if applicable, Date of Birth and Gender. Without this information you can be denied boarding the aircraft.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/air-sea-important-information

Edited 6 minutes ago by trummy
Edited by trummy

2 minutes ago, trummy said:

I got the information from the NCL website. I posted the link above.

I got the letter in post #9 for my cruise 3 weeks ago (with no air). This was a topic of multiple threads when the notifications were first sent out. So while you need it for Air, you also need it just to board with/without air. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I got the letter in post #9 for my cruise 3 weeks ago (with no air). This was a topic of multiple threads when the notifications were first sent out. So while you need it for Air, you also need it just to board with/without air. 

I also received the email and do not have air booked.  Our TA said that it has to do with a Homeland Security ruling and NCL should have fixed their website so you could include the middle name on line but they never did it and trying to play catch up. Better safe than sorry so simply had her add middle name.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dawnya00 said:

We leave in less than 3 weeks. I just emailed my PCC and asked her to add our middle names. We don't have air.

Just did the same thing although I did not receive an e-mail like the one posted by @BirdTravels.  I'm on a closed loop but don't want anything to worry about.

I just called NCL and had my middle name added.

The lady I spoke to said that there had been no issues when people were boarding, but TSA was giving NCL a hard time about passports not matching on debarkation. They seem more worried about who's returning than who is leaving.

I sent back into the document I received from TA when he booked the cruise. I do not have a middle name on passport and neither does document. My DH does and it is on document. However like others have stated, it is not in the NCL edoc nor can I change it. I am going to assume NCL received it as we have never cruised with NCL. We have not received a letter or any notification. I will print out the confirmation page from my TA Ann’s bring with me in just in case, but have never had this issue with other cruise Lines.

47 minutes ago, trummy said:

My cruise leaves in 10 days. It is closed loop, so maybe that is why I never got a letter. Closed loops don't require passports in the first place.

I got the email in post #9 for our closed loop Encore cruise out of Miami. We did not have any air. We got the email 17 days prior to departure. 

Edited by BirdTravels