Oceania Newbie live from Nautica

sailco

This is our 20th cruise but the first on Oceania. We boarded today in Cape Town for a 14 night cruise around South Africa. Thought I'd try to write a blog of sorts for people like me who enjoy learning from the experiences of others. Maybe you'll enjoy our observations.

We arrived at the port about 11.15am and were seated in the Terrace Cafe by noon despite a mishap at check in where a visa in my passport was used repeatedly as a failed passport scan and our credit card was applied to two different cabins. (We had to fix this ourselves once onboard). 

As others have reported we almost had to beg to get a drink, the waiters were so thin on the ground. There was a good selection of buffet food but everything we chose was surprisingly bland and luke warm.

Our Concierge Cabin was ready by 1.30 pm. The Muster Drill was interesting in that we all had to follow our group leader to the allocated lifeboat. We were the last group and I reckon the ship would have gone down well and truly by the time we got to our lifeboat!

The best thing so far is the bedside clock. Love it!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

Edited by sailco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Terrace is for Teatotallers.

We were on the Nautica for 20 days last summer, adult beverage service will not improve there during your cruise. Mgt up and down the line are fully aware of the situation. It is what it is.

The buffet onboard the Nautica has an issue with trying to maintain the food at a proper serving temperature. You won’t find spicy food aboard the Nautica. As I was told by the head chef “ food is prepared to be approachable by the largest cross section possible “. Or as a waiter replied to a passenger “ Oceania doesn’t do spicy”! An example is their sweet tomato mix they  attempt to pass as salsa. 🤮

You can find great enjoyment with the food and service in the GDR and Specialties. Enjoy the meals for what they are and enjoy your cruise. 🍷

I will be reading, as a possible Oceania newbie!

I will appreciate all of your comments!

On our past cruises, on other (mass market) lines, adult beverage service would be not be expected, unless you were in the vicinity of a bar, with the bar-servers around.  We would usually take care of any drink desires on our own when at a restaurant or the Terrace.

Perhaps Oceania should be better than that???   But, it would be par for the course for this newbie.

While it is not surprising that the Terrace flavors might be dumbed-down a bit...  'sweet tomato mix' labeled as Salsa.  That is interesting to hear.  If Oceania is supposed to be known of it's food/cuisine,  that is a HUGE miss.   Decent Salsa, and guacamole, etc, should be a given!  And I would suppose that you are not going to get these onboard, as it probably isn't something featured in the restaurants.  

I do not do overly 'spicy'.  But, the reality is, today, for our North American culture...  People WANT spicy!!!!  EVERYTHING is now 'spicy'. HOT chicken,  Spicy this.  Spicy that.

I do hope that the situation is better on the larger Oceania ships. 

These would be the ones we have in consideration.

I am beginning to wonder if the food and dining on "O" is a step up from what we had on our last mass market cruise.  (is best cuisine now an urban myth???)

So, continue with the foodie comments!

Edited by Wishing on a star

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

We discovered what worked for us if we wanted a glass of wine. We would take our leftover bottle from dinner to our cabin and sometimes then take it to Terrace at lunch. I'd forgotten that people had complained about slowness of getting drinks. We generally had water or iced tea and that was plenty prompt.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am beginning to wonder if the food and dining on "O" is a step up from what we had on our last mass market cruise.  

It is several steps up from mass market lines IMO.

Why don’t you try it first and THEN decide for yourself.

You don’t know OP’s tastes - or anyone else’s for that matter - only your tastes. Only you can decide if it’s a “step up from mass market lines” in YOUR opinion. 😊

• Like 2

OP: would you please post who is serving as the General Manager and as Cruise Director on Nautica right now?

Also, if you don't mind, please add who is the Executive Concierge and who is the Oceania Club Ambassador.

Captain's name would be great as well. But, I am most interested in the folks with whom we'll probably be dealing when we board in Cape Town on February 3.

THANKS in advance! 

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OP: would you please post who is serving as the General Manager and as Cruise Director on Nautica right now?

Also, if you don't mind, please add who is the Executive Concierge and who is the Oceania Club Ambassador.

Captain's name would be great as well. But, I am most interested in the folks with whom we'll probably be dealing when we board in Cape Town on February 3.

THANKS in advance! 

Could you also let us know which jewelry boutique is on the ship.  We are also on the 3 Feb sailing.  Again thanks. 

16 minutes ago, AllanWW said:

Could you also let us know which jewelry boutique is on the ship.  We are also on the 3 Feb sailing.  Again thanks. 

How do you mean, "which"? 

It isn't as if there might be a choice of Boutiques.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

It is several steps up from mass market lines IMO.

Why don’t you try it first and THEN decide for yourself.

You don’t know OP’s tastes - or anyone else’s for that matter - only your tastes. Only you can decide if it’s a “step up from mass market lines” in YOUR opinion. 😊

It's been probably ten years since we did "mass market" and food was the #2 reason we chose that trip. It may have been you who warned me not to set my expectations too high. But I tell ya what, the food was really good. For cruise food I'd say it was GREAT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

How do you mean, "which"? 

It isn't as if there might be a choice of Boutiques.

Are you saying the jewelry boutiques on all the Oceania ships are the same?  That was not my understanding hence the question. 

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But, I am most interested in the folks with whom we'll probably be dealing

I didn't know who those people were because I had no reason to 'deal' with them. Curious why you do? Are there problems that you anticipate?

Typing this while on Insignia.

In general food is great.  However, would say that "distinct" flavors are missing.  The Jerk Chicken tastes bland.  There is almost no Tamarind in Thai food.  Indian food is missing curry.

I still liked the food a lot and at least I did not have experience I once had on another line when the speciality Mexican resturant was so bad the staff easily comped the meal AND the drinks.

19 minutes ago, clo said:

I didn't know who those people were because I had no reason to 'deal' with them. Curious why you do? Are there problems that you anticipate?

Speaking for myself, we enjoy engaging with 'those people'  on both O and Regent, as these positions are generally staffed with friendly and interesting individuals.  Most times just a simple hello and 'we're enjoying the cruise'.

Looking forward to more reports from the OP.  Nautica was our first O cruise, about a year ago, and we enjoyed the onboard experience and the great destinations we visited.

53 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Speaking for myself, we enjoy engaging with 'those people'  on both O and Regent, as these positions are generally staffed with friendly and interesting individuals.  Most times just a simple hello and 'we're enjoying the cruise'.

Oh, but they were asking for names. I didn't find I needed that. Also I'm kinda surprised that if one emailed Oceania wouldn't they give you that info?

9 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

For what it’s worth, when dining in Terrace and when I want an alcoholic beverage I request it when passing by the bar on my way in. Fast service every time.

Good idea. I'll remember that.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OK - folks. How about getting back to my original question regarding who are the current top hotel leaders onboard Nautica right now.

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

THANKS in advance! 

Answered you on the other thread. 

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We were on the Nautica for 20 days last summer, adult beverage service will not improve there during your cruise. Mgt up and down the line are fully aware of the situation. It is what it is.

The buffet onboard the Nautica has an issue with trying to maintain the food at a proper serving temperature. You won’t find spicy food aboard the Nautica. As I was told by the head chef “ food is prepared to be approachable by the largest cross section possible “. Or as a waiter replied to a passenger “ Oceania doesn’t do spicy”! An example is their sweet tomato mix they  attempt to pass as salsa. 🤮

You can find great enjoyment with the food and service in the GDR and Specialties. Enjoy the meals for what they are and enjoy your cruise. 🍷

Not looking for spicy, just tasty. 

We definitely enjoyed the flavours at dinner last night.

• Thanks 1