Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

Are these 2 places worth heading to...

The Deer Park - can you walk around there in regular shoes.  It appears to be grasslands?  And with it being outside the city is it worth the trek?

Reffen Food Market - again, I think a bit of a ways out of the city?  But they say a great "rare food" experience. 

I looked in the port forum for the best place in Copenhagen to get Danablu.  To my surprise there was nothing there.  I also didnt find any postings on Aebleskivers

Im thinking danablu will be on the breakfast menu at the hotel.  However, I would love to purchase some for picnics/snack etc for during our stay in Copenhagen. 

Also, where we live on the Central Coast of CA. We have a little town called Solvang.  It is a Danish Town.  Has a windmill at the entrance of the town and is a huge attraction for tourists and a fabulous place for us locals.  They have the best Danish Butter Cookies, bakeries, wine tasting, Danish food & Aebleskivers.

Where do you recommend we visit in Copenhagen to buy Danablu in Copenhagen?

And best place to experience Aebleskivers?

Also, would anyone know if we can bring Danablu home on the plane with us into the states?

Edited by greatestvalue

3 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

The Deer Park

Asuming Jægersborg Dyrehave (deer park)

Quite big park - take S-train to Klampenborg - also an amusement park (Bakker) - free entrance - a bit like Tivoli  

Reffen Food Market

Take the Harbor bus from either ‘Det Kongelige Bibliotek’ ot ‘Nyhavn’ to ‘Refshaleøen’ - harbour bus use same trickets as the public metro / bus system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greatestvalue said:

Where do you recommend we visit in Copenhagen to buy Danablu in Copenhagen?

And best place to experience Aebleskivers?

Danablu is a commonly used cheese in Denmark - can be bought in most supermarkets - try Coop market at Copenhagen Central Station or Irma, which is located between the Tivoli main entrance and Town Hall Square (Rådhuspladsen). Also a specialty shop ‘Osten ved Kultorvet’ in Rosenborggade 2 or ‘Torvehallerne’.
You may not bring cheese into the US - applies to all agricultural products.
Danablu is not a common cheese on the hotel breakfast table - but you can ask and they might be able to get it.

Æbleskiver are more popular in Solvang than in Copenhagen - In Denmark, æbleskiver are only available at Christmas - but the other cakes from the bakeries in Solvang can be found in all bakeries - try, for example, 'Lagkagehuset' cafe.

I have been to Solvang many times - most recently in February 2020 when we drove from San Fransisco to Palm Springs. I think you get a good sense of Denmark when visiting Solvang - especially the bakeries. 
You must visit ‘Rundetårn’ (Round Tower) in Copenhagen.

30067155-8610-475E-B777-A896C7F855D0.jpeg

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there E-bikes for rent in Copenhagen?  I looked at a couple of sites for bike rentals and it appeared to e all regular bikes.

There are also city bikes (Bycyklen) that can be rented from docking stations with an app.  Be aware that there are special law for cycling in Denmark - if the rules are not followed, especially in Copenhagen, cycling can be dangerous.

A violation of the law costs between $100 to $200.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, hallasm said:

A violation of the law costs between $100 to $200.

Now that would not be fun. 

I will ensure I read up on it and determine if it is best for everyone in Copenhagen that I stay off the road..... 🙂  and depend on the awesome transportation provided for us. 

One of the laws here is E-bikes arent allowed on a lot of the bike trails because they are motorized. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 6:55 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We staying at Wake up On Bernstorffsgade

When you are there, can you confirm and report back if they really have true air consitioning or typical Scandinavian style "air cooling" which is basically an electronic ventilation system (allowing you to change temperature of the room by couple of degrees but not remove humidity)

Air conditioning is very rare in Copenhagen with most reidences not having it.

Historically, it was never deemed necessary.

However, with climate change, there are nowadays many days during cruise season where humidity in stuffy hotel room lends to an uncomfortable night (if one is unlucky to catch those nights while visiting).  It is a noisy city and hence many times opening windows is not an option on the  lower floor.

Most US hotel search engines including tripadvisor are outright wrong when they list "air condition: as an option for most hotels in Copenhagen. For many hotels, tripadvisor wil show hotel having A/C but response from hotel itself will say that "we do not have air conditioning, we have air cooling".

Even 5 star Radisson Royal does not have air conditioning.

(On the other hand, Marriott does have it)

On 7/28/2022 at 1:15 PM, greatestvalue said:

We are opposite direction but only a 3 minute walk from Central Station, at the Andersen.  Who has had fabulous customer service thus far!

I think this exactly same location as old Selandia hotel when this area was very seedy (red district of copenhagen)

It is much better now but after dark walking from station one has to be bit alert.

Everything googled so far seem to indicate that this hotel has true air conditioning and not air cooling.

After your trip if you can confirm it, it would be great.

(Climate change is not going anywhere, better to start preparing for future high summer stays at CPH)

Edited by hal2008

“When you are there, can you confirm and report back if they really have true air consitioning or typical Scandinavian style "air cooling" which is basically an electronic ventilation system (allowing you to change temperature of the room by couple of degrees but not remove humidity)”

After spending 30 years in adjusting airflow in building , I have never seen a system that cools without Dehumidification,

it could be bring in outside air into the space if it the outside air is cooler than the inside air. 

if I remember I will take a look  

12 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

“When you are there, can you confirm and report back if they really have true air consitioning or typical Scandinavian style "air cooling" which is basically an electronic ventilation system (allowing you to change temperature of the room by couple of degrees but not remove humidity)”

After spending 30 years in adjusting airflow in building , I have never seen a system that cools without Dehumidification,

it could be bring in outside air into the space if it the outside air is cooler than the inside air. 

if I remember I will take a look  

My aunt and uncle had a “swamp cooler” in their garage in So Cal desert.  Only cools a room a few degrees but better than nothing.  Maybe something like that????

24 minutes ago, Baseball fan said:

My aunt and uncle had a “swamp cooler” in their garage in So Cal desert.  Only cools a room a few degrees but better than nothing.  Maybe something like that????

Don’t those spray a mist of water into the air to cool you down ? 
can’t see that in a hotel room

On 7/29/2022 at 7:23 PM, hal2008 said:

After your trip if you can confirm it, it would be great.

Be happy to let you know. 

But I also just travel with a usb mini fan that I bought for $2.99.  I truly dont like depending on unknowns.  If I get hot I need the air flow, so problem solved. 

But yes, I will be happy to get intel on the AC at this hotel. 

11 hours ago, marymunro said:

Vaffelbageriet  in Tivoli has Æbleskiver

Good to know ,but I only serve mine on Christmas Day as the above posts stated. It is a lot of work.

Now,  where can I find good liversposti? My Bestama  grind her own meat and baked it in loaf pans.. I loved  it, a memory  of my childhood.🥰 

Had it on  the  Viking Ocean ships, it was good ,but not like my bestama..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Now,  where can I find good liversposti?

Leverpostej (liver pâté) - The definition of the best 'leverpostej' is widely discussed here in Denmark - 'leverpostej' comes in several varieties.

Most smørrebrød (open sandwich) restaurants have 'leverpostej' on the menu. -

Here are a few examples out of many:

Slotskælderen hos Gitte Kik, Fortunstræde 4
Aamanns Deli, Øster Farimagsgade 10
Restaurant Schønnemann, Hauser Plads 16
Restaurant Kronborg, Brolæggerstræde 12