Princess Formal Nights?

Lazz58

Just now, pathi said:

Yeah, I really wish they would make traditional dining formal on formal night. Leave the rest of the venues smart casual.

This has been argued on here before.  Not practical as it is not fair to presume that traditional/fixed dining equals formal fans and anytime equals smart casual fans.

1 minute ago, steelers36 said:

the vast majority do make an extra effort on Formal Nights, even if not dressed to the nines and literal interpretation of the posting.

I make that effort … I wear 'black' instead of khaki …  pants, long sleeve collared shirt , echo sandals, or new balance shoes

along with my black lettering visor,  of course ...🍷

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bemis12 said:

They do not enforce their own stated dress code.

They should be enforcing the part of the dress recommendations that state what is NOT allowed.  And by reports, for the most part this is the case (e.g. people sent back for change from shorts or a t-shirt).  However, reports indicate some of this is slipping depending on ship and DR.

These are things like no shorts, flip-flips, t-shirts (whatever else is listed in there).  Here is the quote:

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

15 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

And for some unknown reason, it has been posted on here that at least one ship has included "Specialty Restaurants" in their Patter announcement and Specialties have always been Smart Casual.  The above quote is what I have been used to seeing.

In the patter for the Regal Princess in Dec the specialty dining rooms were included in the statement but I can assure you it wasn't true. Just casual clothing sufficed. 

11 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Yes.  Exception would be torn, worn, ratty ones.

I have see some pretty worn & ratty jeans on a few ships that were totally ignored. It seems to me that there on the look out for the holes only- everything else is acceptable. 

6 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

They should be enforcing the part of the dress recommendations that state what is NOT allowed.  And by reports, for the most part this is the case (e.g. people sent back for change from shorts or a t-shirt).  However, reports indicate some of this is slipping depending on ship and DR.

These are things like no shorts, flip-flips, t-shirts (whatever else is listed in there).  Here is the quote:

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Once again for casual nights T shirts are fine. My DH has been wearing them for years now on many of the ships-without any questions.

He has been turned away for his dress shorts a few times depending on the ship. Of course the first & last nights are always excluded where anything goes.

We were on the CB in the Caribbean in 2018.  They were allowing shorts in the MDR on casual nights and jeans on formal nights.  A few were wearing Hawaiian style shirts on formal night and then there were the hats worn in the MDR.  All the competing cruise lines have done away with formal nights as a vestige of the past.   Question is how long can Princess keep up the charade of a "formal" night in the face of competition. 

6 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We were on the CB in the Caribbean in 2018.  They were allowing shorts in the MDR on casual nights and jeans on formal nights.  A few were wearing Hawaiian style shirts on formal night and then there were the hats worn in the MDR.  All the competing cruise lines have done away with formal nights as a vestige of the past.   Question is how long can Princess keep up the charade of a "formal" night in the face of competition. 

Competition?  That is laughable.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

I make that effort … I wear 'black' instead of khaki …  pants, long sleeve collared shirt , echo sandals, or new balance shoes

along with my black lettering visor,  of course ...🍷

I am new to cruising. Considering a first cruise this year and  relying on Cruise Critic vets for guidance.  

So, you mentioned wearing echo sandals, or New Balance athletic (?) shoes on Formal Nights with your Formal Night dress. Would wearing Croc type shoes also be permissible?  Also, I thought I read on dress code policy,  hats or ball caps are not allowed in the dining room evenings?   But, that does not hold true for visors?

Very helpful advice.  Thank you for your guidance.

Edited by Justalone

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

In the patter for the Regal Princess in Dec the specialty dining rooms were included in the statement but I can assure you it wasn't true. Just casual clothing sufficed. 

I have see some pretty worn & ratty jeans on a few ships that were totally ignored. It seems to me that there on the look out for the holes only- everything else is acceptable. 

Once again for casual nights T shirts are fine. My DH has been wearing them for years now on many of the ships-without any questions.

He has been turned away for his dress shorts a few times depending on the ship. Of course the first & last nights are always excluded where anything goes.

We just got off the Sky and at a nearby table one of the people seated there wore shorts, t-shirt and backwards baseball cap every casual night.

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

I am new to cruising. Considering a first cruise this year and  relying on Cruise Critic vets for guidance.  

So, you mentioned wearing echo sandals, or New Balance athletic (?) shoes on Formal Nights with your Formal Night dress. Would wearing Croc type shoes also be permissible?  Also, I thought I read on dress code policy,  hats or ball caps are not allowed in the dining room evenings?   But, that does not hold true for visors?

Honestly, my past 2 cruises (1 a couple years ago, and again just last week) I ended up wearing black/silver flip flops on formal nights. I didn't set out to on either one, but the first one I had had ankle surgery a few months earlier and I just couldn't wear my dress shoes. This past one, knee issues, and I only managed to comfortably wear dress shoes the first formal night. Wear what is comfortable on your feet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Face the competition?  Formal night is the least of problems facing the competition.  How about staterooms that can accommodate a chair and table, a shower to accommodate the average size adult, balconies with enough leg room to face forward. What separates them from the competition is price and itineraries.  Now they are jumping on the free drinks, wifi and gratuity offers like the other lines. Yes, I know they aren't free but they aren't free on Celebrity or NCL either.

Edited by Iamcruzin

8 hours ago, mjmalino said:

We just got off the Sky and at a nearby table one of the people seated there wore shorts, t-shirt and backwards baseball cap every casual night.

We haven't sailed the Sky yet but yous is the first I've to read about shorts being worn on that ship. I was beginning to think that ship was different than the rest of the fleet.  

How was the pax attire on formal nights? 

11 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I suspect as long as Princess can appease those folks into believing it's something special. 

After all they probably make more $$ selling things on formal nights compared to the rest. ie. spa treatments, photo's, wine & drinks, hair styling, etc. 

Why change & give up all the profits when it's just easier to let passengers tailor their dress as they see fit.

8 hours ago, mjmalino said:

Honestly, my past 2 cruises (1 a couple years ago, and again just last week) I ended up wearing black/silver flip flops on formal nights. I didn't set out to on either one, but the first one I had had ankle surgery a few months earlier and I just couldn't wear my dress shoes. This past one, knee issues, and I only managed to comfortably wear dress shoes the first formal night. Wear what is comfortable on your feet.

I've had problems with my feet for years now & have given up on being fashionable. 

Comfort is my key on any cruise ship. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Justalone said:

was just joking about the visor in the mdr on formal nights … sorry

but yes as to the black echo sandals and yes the New Balance are  NB813 black uppers and black lowers ( all black, no white ) leather lace ups … really can't tell the difference from regular dress shoes except for the laces … both were rec'd by my foot doctor ...

I've never owned or even wore a paid of crocs … just not my style 

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Face the competition?  Formal night is the least of problems facing the competition.  How about staterooms that can accommodate a chair and table, a shower to accommodate the average size adult, balconies with enough leg room to face forward. What separates them from the competition is price and itineraries.  Now they are jumping on the free drinks, wifi and gratuity offers like the other lines. Yes, I know they aren't free but they aren't free on Celebrity or NCL either.

Have not cruised yet, but considering Princess, Celebrity, or Oceania as my first cruise.

I am surprised Princess has no chair in the staterooms?   How can that be?  A small sitting chair is shown in their brochure and website for a balcony room?   Also shown is a small desk chair.

Besides Princess, I am considering Celebrity, and also Oceania.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

was just joking about the visor in the mdr on formal nights … sorry

but yes as to the black echo sandals and yes the New Balance are  NB813 black uppers and black lowers ( all black, no white ) leather lace ups … really can't tell the difference from regular dress shoes except for the laces … both were rec'd by my foot doctor ...

I've never owned or even wore a paid of crocs … just not my style 

Thank you.  Very helpful information.  

New here.  I am still trying to separate serious replies from sarcastic humor on this forum.    😋

Regards.

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I suspect as long as Princess can appease those folks into believing it's something special. 

After all they probably make more $$ selling things on formal nights compared to the rest. ie. spa treatments, photo's, wine & drinks, hair styling, etc. 

Why change & give up all the profits when it's just easier to let passengers tailor their dress as they see fit.

You are most likely correct in the analysis that it is all about money.   The answer for Princess is to not enforce the dressing rule but watch for outliers only (e.g. shorts on formal night).   

14 hours ago, Justalone said:

Croc shoes would be acceptable although I have never seen them worn.  I have always had on athletic shoes which are anything but black.  Once I had a pair of orange/white pair that I wore every night.  

I have seen hats worn in the MDR on all nights.  One cruise a gentleman at a 2 top next to our 6 top wore a pie hat every night and then there are others in baseball type hats but most seem to take them off when sitting down at the table. 

12 hours ago, mjmalino said:

I have seen this on other ships as well minus the backwards cap so far.  

17 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

You are most likely correct in the analysis that it is all about money.   The answer for Princess is to not enforce the dressing rule but watch for outliers only (e.g. shorts on formal night).   

I base all my opinions/beliefs on actual circumstances that I experience on the ships, not from what I read on this board. (although I was surprised to hear about dressing down on the new Sky). I'll still have to see it for myself to make a true believer out of me. 

Oh, btw... Crocs are acceptable to wear to the DR... at least on casual evenings. My DH wears them on occasion- black of course.  

I began cruising as a teen back in the mid 80's.  Sitmar was the first line we cruised with (later purchased by Princess).  EVERY night was a dress up night with 1 formal night for each of the 7 days you were on the itinerary.  Ladies wore dresses or nice pant suites on non-formal nights - gentlemen wore slacks and collared shirts and sometimes even a sport coat.  On formal nights there were many tuxedos and the ladies were all in cocktail type dresses.  It was just done!  But back then kids cleaned their rooms, listened to their parents and did their homework - LOL.  We cruise different lines so are not necessarily favoring one or the other.  Carnival is definitely less formal - we did a specialty restaurant one time and the family sitting next to us was in shorts and shower shoes.  While we might not dress to the 9's every night of our cruise, we aren't going to the MDR in shorts, but that is just our choice.  Its a treat to go on a cruise, have a nice meal served by great staff members and feel special.  It's one week to step out of your normal life.  You don't have to dress in Cartier or Ralph Lauren, just a simple plain black dress even.  Again, just my opinion.  Everyone is free to do as they please, just as my family will continue to dress for dinner 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kruzns4me said:

Everyone is free to do as they please, just as my family will continue to dress for dinner 🙂

You can't stop the drunken uncle from showing up at the wedding reception in the same clothes he wore at his manufacturing job and eating with his hands in front of god and everybody either.

But self respecting cruisers will still make the most of formal night even if Uncle Slob doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1