Princess Formal Nights?

Lazz58

4 minutes ago, Lazz58 said:

Does Princess still have formal nights that require a jacket for men at dinner?

They do.

But they don’t enforce their own dress code requirements. This leads to much discussion and angst.

They just need to make a policy they want and enforce it. Cruisers are like children. You are not doing them a favor by creating a policy with no consequences.

• Haha 1

Maybe we should give Lazz58 a break, looks like she/he is not a regular on these boards. I do agree with steelers36 though, they only have to scroll down to page 2 at the most to hit a formal wear tread.😉

Theo

• Like 1

Princess does enforce a dress code but perhaps it's not how some people would like it to see it be enforced. They allow the guys to dine not wearing jackets & it been that ways for years now.

Just a decent dress shirt or even lately a Polo shirt are all that's needed without any jacket.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Princess does enforce a dress code but perhaps it's not how some people would like it to see it be enforced. They allow the guys to dine not wearing jackets & it been that ways for years now.

Just a decent dress shirt or even lately a Polo shirt are all that's needed without any jacket.

They do not enforce their own stated dress code. You know this is true.

I don't even care whether they have formal nights at all.  But having a written dress code and not enforcing it just leads to unhappiness and confusion.

They need to either change the code so that it says it's optional, or enforce it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

They do not enforce their own stated dress code. You know this is true.

I don't even care whether they have formal nights at all.  But having a written dress code and not enforcing it just leads to unhappiness and confusion.

They need to either change the code so that it says it's optional, or enforce it.

Not to be argumentative but Princess states it very clearly on their web site although not at the entrance to their dining rooms. They've been following this code for quite a few years now and we've never had a problem adhering to it, even dressing casually on all formal nights.  

"On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away 
breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt 
for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop. 
In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good
idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more 
formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes 
(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring 
an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

I just hope Princess do a better job than Celebrity of politely turning away guests who turn up to the MDR for evening dinner in vests, shorts, flip flops and baseball caps (reversed of course!).

Other than that, what people choose to wear on formal nights makes no difference to me. I will dress formally to compliment my wife's attire. She loves dressing up irrespective of the suggested dress code.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bemis12 said:

But they don’t enforce their own dress code requirements. This leads to much discussion and angst.

They just need to make a policy they want and enforce it.

They DO have a policy that they enforce.

"We hope you dress respectfully and try to fit in, but at the end of it, it's your cruise so have fun."

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 3

The flames here are mild compared to the Cunard board.

And I agree that the rules are confusing to people where it says "dress up but you don't have to"

Some people like to dress for dinner, some don't, and some on multiweek vacations that include land travel just really don't have room to pack an extra jacket. Personally, I am more than happy to bring a Tux when sailing out of a port I am driving to however it is not always practical on cruises I fly to where I am using every inch of suitcase.

Where the ship has more than one dining room has Princess tried to segregate them by Casual vs. Formal?

11 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Where the ship has more than one dining room has Princess tried to segregate them by Casual vs. Formal?

Not in my cruising lifetime but that would satisfy some folks.

Does Cunard have such a thing? 

I've never heard of any cruise line that's tried it yet.

I honestly do not know why people don't want to follow a dress code.  Regardless if it's on a cruise or in any other social environment.  It's about respect.  especting the rules and respecting your fellow passengers.

The cruises I've been on throughout the years have seen the dress code become more relaxed, especially on Carnival ships.  (NO bashing please...)  On Celebrity, it seems to depend on the cruise itinerary.  On the Caribbean cruises it's a bit more relaxed (dress casual, no suits.), but when I sailed in Alaska it seemed to be dressier (most men had on at least a jacket, as I did, with some wearing tuxes).

I'm actually looking forward to some dressier formal night when I'm on my Princess cruise.  Though I won't be wearing a tie, but rather a banded collared shirt.  (I haven't owned a tie in over 15 years.)  Bringing some dress slacks and a jacket isn't a big deal.  If the jacket gets wrinkled, send it out to be pressed on your first night.  You'll get it back the next day.

What I'm wondering is, are jeans acceptable on non-formal nights?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not in my cruising lifetime but that would satisfy some folks.

Does Cunard have such a thing? 

I've never heard of any cruise line that's tried it yet.

The QM2 only has one main dining room for Britannia class so they really can't have that option.

I heard that at one time RCL did it on some ships however I do not know more than that. 

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

The flames here are mild compared to the Cunard board.

And I agree that the rules are confusing to people where it says "dress up but you don't have to"

Some people like to dress for dinner, some don't, and some on multiweek vacations that include land travel just really don't have room to pack an extra jacket. Personally, I am more than happy to bring a Tux when sailing out of a port I am driving to however it is not always practical on cruises I fly to where I am using every inch of suitcase.

would/could/should/maybe … be semi-possible on future cruise if a checkbox was attached at booking time that the Traditional dining room was going to follow 'strict' formal night dress-code policies with that also posted, and you acknowledge receiving that

the next step would be to NOT allow traditional diners in the anytime dining room that night ...

yeah, like that's gonna happen

Edited by voljeep

26 minutes ago, casofilia said:

For those who have't read the requirements lately here is the document from the Patter from last November.

image.png.1dceefd719c5ba803f0d3e3db5a1e6f2.png

The code is quite clear.

And for some unknown reason, it has been posted on here that at least one ship has included "Specialty Restaurants" in their Patter announcement and Specialties have always been Smart Casual.  The above quote is what I have been used to seeing.

28 minutes ago, casofilia said:

The code is quite clear.

Actually it isn't.  And it isn't exactly a "code".  It is a set of recommendations.  You could say that Princess contradicts themselves in two different sections of their FAQ information.  Hence not so clear off the ship.  The Patter announcement is reproducing a subset of the FAQ recommendation.  

What is clear is that the Patter announcement is more of a plea that is not even close to the reality of how people are dressing up.  And to be fair, the vast majority do make an extra effort on Formal Nights, even if not dressed to the nines and literal interpretation of the posting.

• Like 1