The Grouch on Seabourn Quest January 12, 2020 San Antonio to Buenos Aires via Antarctica

whogo

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Don’t remember hearing any PA announcements in our cabin on Seabourn except for the mandatory lifeboat drill the first day.   I hope this has not changed.  

Covepoint, the only announcements we heard in December was disembarkation at ports of call, crew drill practice  or the Captains speech. And those were only heard if you opened the passage door or went to the right channel on the TV, none were inside the cabin.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

Whogo:  Enjoying so far, especially your sarcasm regarding the luxury cruising experience.  We sailed the same itinerary last year on the Quest and found it extraordinary because of the amazing Antarctica experience and all the fun we had on Seabourn.  We have sailed HAL many times and will surely return someday as we find it just fine.  But we far prefer Seabourn for so many reasons which I think you are discovering.  And we find that all things considered, Seabourn can be a good buy compared to a Neptune Suite on HAL.  You really can't compare other stateroom classes on HAL to Seabourn.

1 hour ago, tv24 said:

Whogo:  Enjoying so far, especially your sarcasm regarding the luxury cruising experience.  

Me too - I'm enjoying this blog.  Whogo - when you get to Ushuaia you will probably see quite an assembly of ships, all smaller than the Quest and rather more expensive.  As I wrote in my own blog of the Quest trip, Seabourn in Antarctica might be considered to be the budget option.  😉

IMG_8070.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, whogo said:

January 15, 2020. Castro Chle.

We'll see if the menus and Herald post legibly:

Nope

But never mind..... most enjoyable blog. I do think you are mistaken when you say you are not a Seabourn sort of person. On the contrary, someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously, clearly enjoys life, and appreciates and understands some of the finer things that are on offer, is just the sort of person  that we often meet on SB cruises - and a welcome antidote to the holier then thou stuffed shirts and prima-donas that can also be found on board.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 1

In regard to all the announcements as we are just off the prior cruise to South Georgia and Antarctica........

There are indeed more announcements on this type of itinerary due to the clothing and boot swaps and need for biosecurity checks. Also, once the zodiac and kayak trips begin running, there will be many announcements as each group is called by color (everyone has a specific color group) and timings may change due to conditions or there may be cancellations or need to move to another location due to wind/swells etc.

At first it was a bit off putting to me as well because the lack of announcements is one thing that was really appreciated on prior Seabourn cruises. This type of cruising just has different requirements. Captain also made more announcements due to changing weather/sea conditions. 

Despite the need for additional announcements, it was wonderful. 

14 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

In regard to all the announcements as we are just off the prior cruise to South Georgia and Antarctica........

Despite the need for additional announcements, it was wonderful. 

tjcox9, thank you for this information. This makes sense but it is nice to know the reality for when we do this cruise.

Julie

13 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Don’t remember hearing any PA announcements in our cabin on Seabourn except for the mandatory lifeboat drill the first day.   I hope this has not changed.    The anchor chain noise is one of the “benefits” of a cabin guarantee.   You do save money but you usually get a cabin no one else would select.

Just a thought but if only 415 guests on board, can you not ask to be moved to a vacant suite away from the anchor?

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Me too - I'm enjoying this blog.  Whogo - when you get to Ushuaia you will probably see quite an assembly of ships, all smaller than the Quest and rather more expensive.  As I wrote in my own blog of the Quest trip, Seabourn in Antarctica might be considered to be the budget option.  😉

Fletcher: I am flattered you are reading this, your Antarctic blog was terrific, mine will be a whole lot less cerebral and we won't visit South Georgia. We received a terrific deal on this cruise, I think, I bought at the lowest price I saw, guarantee veranda cabins were frequently listed 50% higher. The expedition ships were at least as expensive and only ten or twelve days long from Ushuaia. We opted for comfort and a larger ship with stabilizers, hope to avoid seasickness.

Our cruise was about a third more expensive than a Neptune suite on a Zaandam 22 day cruise past Antarctica between San Antonio and Buenos Aires. I have a tape measure here somewhere, a HAL fan can point out that Neptune suites are bigger and there is a Neptune Lounge where they can get away from the wrong kind of people.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020. Castro, Chile. 42°29.33'S, 73°44.76'W

Thanks to anyone who is still following along. Sorry I do not have enough internet time for responses to individual comments.

We received a loaner pair of binoculars yesterday. Came with a note saying, “If you care to keep the binoculars, your account will be charged...” The robes in the room came with a note saying, “If you care to keep the robes, your account will be charged...” A pad of paper and a pen appeared today. I expected to find a note, “If you care to keep the pen...”

I rode an elevator for the first time (don't tell Mrs. Whogo), no day of the week floor mat as on Holland America, still knew it was Wednesday somehow.

Dined in the restaurant at a table for two last night. Tried calamari stuffed with shrimp. Somehow I have never had that dish before. It was fine, won't seek it out in the future. Told Mrs. Whogo not to bother duplicating the recipe.

Let me earn the grouch title. Yesterday I thought that Seabourn was near perfect, there was nothing that Holland America did better. Then I had a second poorly made sundae with dinner. There was four times as much whipped cream as ice cream and the ice cream was so soft that a spoon dropped right through it, it was hard to tell where the whipped cream ended and the ice cream began. Fool me once, shame on you...

What was described as roasted potatoes with my dinner were hash browns.

Holland America has a larger choice of items in the Lido than Seabourn has in the Colonnade, advantage HAL. I'd still rather eat in the Colonnade, still plenty of choice, it is quiet and relaxed and drink service is superior and we order nothing more than tea and water.

The pillow situation has gotten out of hand. I am a man, I just want one under my head. The current craze is to load hotel rooms with pillows. Seabourn has taken it to the extreme. Our king bed has two huge pillows three feet long for our heads, more than enough, my head is not that wide. There are four more identical huge pillows, six of those monsters in total. Not enough? There are three throw pillows. When our stewardess makes up the bed, it is half covered in pillows. It is insane. Trust me, I know insane. First hand, you've seen what I write here.

Enough grouching for today.

Noise of thrusters started at 6:00, heard and felt the anchor drop at 6:25, no damage to our cabin wall that the chain runs through. We are anchored off Castro, Chile.

I saw it! I saw it! The water really does eddy down the drain backwards south of the equator. Took me four trips, but I finally saw it, finally thought to look for it. My journey is complete, I can go home satisfied.

Well, it would be nice to see Antarctica as long as we've come this far. Excitement is building, we received a small guide to Antarctic wildlife, everything from Albatross to Whale plus, at no extra charge, five plant species.

Mrs. Whogo was up long before she prefers for a 5.5 hour long ship's excursion to Cucao Chiloe National Park. I ate a leisurely solo breakfast in the dining room, the place has gained in popularity, there were nine of us.

Planned a pedestrian tour to the Castro attractions, boarded a tender about 9:30. Was not so proud that I could turn down a shuttle bus ride up the steep hill to the church. Church of San Francisco is wooden, covered in zinc, according to the literature, assume it is galvanized steel. Painted yellow. The curved ceiling makes it look like it was built by ship builders. Sorry I do not have the architectural vocabulary to describe it.

Headed on to a viewpoint to see the palafitos, colorful stilt houses.

Took in the small collection at the museum, interesting, no English translations, but delightful miniature dioramas of churches, trains, agricultural methods and the like and excellent architectural drawings of the structural components of a couple of local UNESCO World Heritage churches.

Yesterday's Puerto Montt dogs were comatose (did not move even when it started to rain), all asleep except for two that had their heads raised and one that got up to take three steps before lying back down. Castro's dogs are hyperactive, all their on feet, they walk around, scent mark lamp posts, drink from puddles, and do other doggy things, there was even a puppy in the church.

Helped a couple of cruisers from California orient themselves and mentioned the palafitos. Not interested. “Oh, we have stilt houses at home.”

Walked through the Feria Artesanal, a local craft market, down near the pier, took a look, although I'm not a shopper. Reed baskets and wool sweaters and more, might really be locally crafted, I saw yarn for sale and a local woman knitted. The strange thing was, locals were shopping there. Pleasant stroll around town, I like the place. The Chileans have not caught on to the cruise industry, they need to lure in more and bigger ships and put in a Diamonds International. They will never catch up to Nassau and St. Thomas at the rate they are going.

Returned to the ship after noon. Our cabin was not made up in the morning again, our stewardess serves us last. Even she knows we are not the right kind of people. Thought it strange she was replacing the bath towels that I hung up, now I know she is just hanging the used ones back up as neatly as new ones.

Heard and felt the raising of the anchor, sounded like they raised it a link at a time; ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk. During his pre-sailing talk the captain mentioned how much anchor chain was out, I did not take notes. Sorry. We will sail in protected waters for the next couple of days except for a couple of forays into the open Pacific, the first tomorrow at 6:00.

The Classical Caviar Sailaway Party became a Caviar Sailaway Party when the musicians cancelled due to wind and cool temperatures. The onion/egg crumbles/creme fraiche topping overwhelmed the flavor of the caviar, missed out one the fishy, lumpy, jelly taste and texture. Seabourn was pushing champagne and vodka, I walked up a deck to the Sky Bar and had a beer. Met Antarctic manager Chris and bought him a beer. He said there are 231 cruisers aboard that are new to Seabourn

Sailed through narrow waters, saw the buoys for mussel farms and cages for salmon farms and a number of sea lions. We have accepted an invitation to a table hosted by one of the entertainers.

Boy, I do prattle on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whogo said:

Fletcher: I am flattered you are reading this, your Antarctic blog was terrific, mine will be a whole lot less cerebral and we won't visit South Georgia.

Thanks a bunch, whogo.  I hope you continue writing just as you are.  I love cruising vicariously with people just like you.  Keep focussed, don't get deflected!  Looking forward to hearing about the weather,  the landings, the clothing etc.  You'll love the boot room service.  Nothing like HAL. Prattle on.

Edited by Fletcher

14 hours ago, whogo said:

Fletcher: I am flattered you are reading this, your Antarctic blog was terrific, mine will be a whole lot less cerebral and we won't visit South Georgia. We received a terrific deal on this cruise, I think, I bought at the lowest price I saw, guarantee veranda cabins were frequently listed 50% higher. The expedition ships were at least as expensive and only ten or twelve days long from Ushuaia. We opted for comfort and a larger ship with stabilizers, hope to avoid seasickness.

Our cruise was about a third more expensive than a Neptune suite on a Zaandam 22 day cruise past Antarctica between San Antonio and Buenos Aires. I have a tape measure here somewhere, a HAL fan can point out that Neptune suites are bigger and there is a Neptune Lounge where they can get away from the wrong kind of people.

The Neptune Lounge is oversold.  Just a place for the same boring snacks day after day.  Seabourn Square is a far superior space and the food/drinks are better.  Neptune has a self-serve espresso machine like you find in a down market airport lounge;  Seabourn has great baristas making your coffee drink to order.

• Like 2

whogo,

some suggestions re food and pillows:

ask for the Sundae with double ice cream and the whipped cream only on the side. Then add to your liking.

They do serve the caviar pure and without any condiments if you ask also.

The room stewardess is also very good at removing unwanted pillows from your suite!

Maybe not a standard HAL service, but available on SB...😘

Thursday, January 16, 2020. At sea en route to Punta Arenas.

Block party last night rated another PA announcement, well attended, did meet nice neighbors, know the party annoys some Seabourn cruisers. Anchor noise was one topic of conversation. Fun to speak to neighbors from foreign lands, Australia, Israel, California, etc. Should have snuck up to deck 10 and tried to pass myself off as a guest in the expensive suites. Stewards offered glasses of champagne, I am forever turning down a drink. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, sailaway, block party, evening show, AA members should find a different line.

Awkward start to our hosted dinner table, one guest was twenty minutes late. Not an excuse for her tardiness, she'd been taken for a ride on arrival at the Santiago airport by fake Seabourn representatives who made her fork over her debit card and pin. They dropped her and her luggage off at the port in San Antonio. Expensive ride, more than £1,000 withdrawn. She should have known something was wrong when she had to push her own luggage cart out to the car.

Delightful dinner, our host was last night's pianist, we had not seen his show, regrettably, he plays my kind of music. Conversation flowed. Long wait between ordering our desserts and receiving them, wondered if we'd been forgotten.

We enjoyed the magician at the evening show, as did the rest of the audience. Ended the night at The Club to try a Patagonian 24.7 beer. Hoppy, but real thin on flavor. The bartender said she'd warned me it was a Chilean beer.

As predicted, the ride got rougher in open seas at 6:00 this morning, there is a loud metallic clunk as we bottom out in a trough, believe it is a balcony divider. Will have to have that attended to.

Dreamt I was on real downmarket cruise ship and the captain was being driven crazy by a metallic clunking noise. Our assigned cabin was a large alcove in a public area. I tried to find the front desk to explain that the cabin was unacceptable while wondering if I had misunderstood the deck plans and booked that room and what am I doing on another cruise? I am supposed to be home on February second. I awoke to the metallic clunking.

Raised my blood pressure by looking through the hooey in the spa booklet. Detox, reflexology, acupuncture, footprint analysis, Chinese herbal medicine (rhinoceros horn for erectile dysfunction, anyone?), and crystal healing. Does Gwyneth Paltrow run the spa? There is also the mysterious, undefined Trilo3y (9:00 AM today), no I will not ask what it is. Remember when alternative medicine was simply called quackery? You know what you call alternative medicine when it is supported by reputable double blind experimentation, reproducible results, and peer review? You call it medicine.

Interesting blurb in The Herald about bird strikes at sea. Strikes are not uncommon, occasionally hundreds will land on a ship. Petrel legs are not designed for walking, they can not take off on their own. We are to keep curtains closed at night, the ship will limit exterior lights, and we are to dial 9 to have any birds we find tended to. Able bodied are set free immediately, cold, wet ones are taken in to warm up.

Attended Luciano Bernacchi's morning lecture on birds of the southern oceans. Still can not identify sea birds, but managed two confirmed ID's with the help of the experts on deck. Go ahead, ask me about the black-browed albatross.

A lecture or two was cancelled when a sprinkler head was knocked off in the Grand Salon, should be dry for the 4:30 lecture. We attended a reception in the Club for first time Seabourn cruisers, I had a Küné beer by Patagonia, remain unimpressed by Chilean beers. The party continued with an inaugural Fiesta Latina. Staff hung some flags from south of the border and The Band switched to a few Latin numbers, did not change tables or seat mates. Margaritas were had, as were shots of tequila, but not by us.

Extra good companions for dinner, chatted way after dinner. West End performer Philippa Healey wowed us with her voice, she plays piano, too. Great show. Stay tuned, we visit our first glacier tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Thursday, January 16, 2020. At sea en route to Punta Arenas.

Block party last night rated another PA announcement, well attended, did meet nice neighbors, know the party annoys some Seabourn cruisers. Anchor noise was one topic of conversation. Fun to speak to neighbors from foreign lands, Australia, Israel, California, etc. Should have snuck up to deck 10 and tried to pass myself off as a guest in the expensive suites. Stewards offered glasses of champagne, I am forever turning down a drink. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, sailaway, block party, evening show, AA members should find a different line.

Awkward start to our hosted dinner table, one guest was twenty minutes late. Not an excuse for her tardiness, she'd been taken for a ride on arrival at the Santiago airport by fake Seabourn representatives who made her fork over her debit card and pin. They dropped her and her luggage off at the port in San Antonio. Expensive ride, more than £1,000 withdrawn. She should have known something was wrong when she had to push her own luggage cart out to the car.

Delightful dinner, our host was last night's pianist, we had not seen his show, regrettably, he plays my kind of music. Conversation flowed. Long wait between ordering our desserts and receiving them, wondered if we'd been forgotten.

We enjoyed the magician at the evening show, as did the rest of the audience. Ended the night at The Club to try a Patagonian 24.7 beer. Hoppy, but real thin on flavor. The bartender said she'd warned me it was a Chilean beer.

As predicted, the ride got rougher in open seas at 6:00 this morning, there is a loud metallic clunk as we bottom out in a trough, believe it is a balcony divider. Will have to have that attended to.

Dreamt I was on real downmarket cruise ship and the captain was being driven crazy by a metallic clunking noise. Our assigned cabin was a large alcove in a public area. I tried to find the front desk to explain that the cabin was unacceptable while wondering if I had misunderstood the deck plans and booked that room and what am I doing on another cruise? I am supposed to be home on February second. I awoke to the metallic clunking.

Raised my blood pressure by looking through the hooey in the spa booklet. Detox, reflexology, acupuncture, footprint analysis, Chinese herbal medicine (rhinoceros horn for erectile dysfunction, anyone?), and crystal healing. Does Gwyneth Paltrow run the spa? There is also the mysterious, undefined Trilo3y (9:00 AM today), no I will not ask what it is. Remember when alternative medicine was simply called quackery? You know what you call alternative medicine when it is supported by reputable double blind experimentation, reproducible results, and peer review? You call it medicine.

Interesting blurb in The Herald about bird strikes at sea. Strikes are not uncommon, occasionally hundreds will land on a ship. Petrel legs are not designed for walking, they can not take off on their own. We are to keep curtains closed at night, the ship will limit exterior lights, and we are to dial 9 to have any birds we find tended to. Able bodied are set free immediately, cold, wet ones are taken in to warm up.

Attended Luciano Bernacchi's morning lecture on birds of the southern oceans. Still can not identify sea birds, but managed two confirmed ID's with the help of the experts on deck. Go ahead, ask me about the black-browed albatross.

A lecture or two was cancelled when a sprinkler head was knocked off in the Grand Salon, should be dry for the 4:30 lecture. We attended a reception in the Club for first time Seabourn cruisers, I had a Küné beer by Patagonia, remain unimpressed by Chilean beers. The party continued with an inaugural Fiesta Latina. Staff hung some flags from south of the border and The Band switched to a few Latin numbers, did not change tables or seat mates. Margaritas were had, as were shots of tequila, but not by us.

Extra good companions for dinner, chatted way after dinner. West End performer Philippa Healey wowed us with her voice, she plays piano, too. Great show. Stay tuned, we visit our first glacier tomorrow.

I'm really enjoying your commentary. 

Whogo.......... As someone else has suggested, if all is not to your comfort or liking, just ask your stewardess or make a request in Seabourn Square.  They want to please on Seabourn.  They want you to be happy.    

Horrified to read that a guest was cheated by a taxi driver.  Dreadful. 

I am enjoying your posts.    J

Edited by Jay23

Friday, January 17, 2020. El Bruho Glacier and Sarmiento Channel.

Seabourn regulars complain that the beef ain't what it used to be (although they do it in proper English). I ordered rib eye with bordelaise sauce last night not knowing what the sauce was, hoping it would not ruin a good steak. It was delicious, a nice brown sauce beside an excellent cut of beef. I was a happy camper.

Seas were rough last night in the open Pacific. We all staggered to the right and then back to the left while exiting the Grand Salon (showroom) last night. Whee! Did not hear the metallic clunk in the troughs, they must have fixed it. We sailed back into protected waters in the fjords sometime later in the night, hardly felt any movement, slept well once again.

Hung up my towel after showering this morning and found there was a hole right through it. I had dried off with a defective towel. They call this a luxury line? I see what the regular Seabourners are talking about, Seabourn has really gone downhill since we boarded last Sunday.

I was up in the deck 10 Observation Bar for a look see early this morning then down on the aft open deck on deck 7. PA narration started at 7:40, believe it was announced in the cabins, might have awakened a few cruisers. One of the zodiacs was out photographing the area for us. The low clouds and light rain were typical for this area, still a wonderful view of waterfalls, steep mountains, and some snow on the higher rounded tops. I do not have the skill to describe it all. We hung a left into an even narrower channel, pretty cool to have the ship in such a confined space. Soon saw my first floating ice of the trip, looked white, mostly, figured the dark ones had picked up some detritus. Nope, an expedition team member explained that the ice was clear, I was seeing the color of the water right through it. Reached some bigger “bergie bits” that looked blue, as did El Brujo glacier when it came into view and we slowly sailed closer and closer.

The glacier is two kilometers wide and hundreds of feet tall, not that I could tell it. I have no way of judging the scale of things at sea. Put a man on the glacier and I'd think, “Wow, that's big”. It is the same with birds, I would never guess that black-browed albatross are three feet long with a tremendous wing span. With no way to judge distance, they seem no bigger than gulls back home. You ought to see them glide along, no flapping, just a bit of wing adjustment to change direction. They can rise off the water surface by simply lifting their wings into the wind. They feed by snatching things from the water while gliding, I have not seen that behavior yet. I have seen groups of up to twelve on the surface, must feed that way, too.

I kept thinking the captain would stop, we would not sail any farther up this dead end fjord to the glacier. It is an impressive sight, glacier ice looks blue, the face is jagged. We've passed numerous waterfalls, I keep thinking of them as rivulets, but one of these rivulets was gushing near the base of El Brujo, it was a pretty massive stream. I thought we would go no closer, thought we could go no closer, a team member announced that the captain would stop and rotate in a half mile. I did not know there was a half mile of room left, I can't judge size and distance at all here.

Mrs.Whogo joined me for breakfast in the dining room, I can not overstate what a calm, civilized experience it is. Hardly anyone eats there. Service is attentive. I had delicious eggs benedict, bacon, tea, prunes, orange juice and pickled herring. Mrs. Whogo pronounced her fresh berries delicious. We viewed the glacier as we dined. What a great life!

Took the Kindle up to Seabourn Square to read, stepped outside for a moment and stayed for nearly two hours to take in the scenery, spot wildlife, and sail in and out of rain. Forgot all about reading. Expedition team members were there to lend their expertise. Saw South America Terns, sea lions, skuas, dolphins and ever changing scenery. Tried out some Swarovsky binoculars, very fine optics, resolution was tremendous. I am happy with our Canon binoculars with image stabilization, but the Swarovsky are a step up. Buy a pair to go with your Swarovsky crystal stemware.

Our trivia team members sit in the same seats every day, wondered what would happen if I took someone's seat. Mrs. Whogo tensed at the idea. I figured I would be outed as a first time Seabourn cruiser, Mrs. Whogo said, “Haven't you ever been to church?” Same seats it is, then.

Swedish meatballs for lunch in the dining room, Mrs. Whogo had a dinner sized shrimp cocktail to start. Food and service remain excellent there, I don't miss the Colonnade buffet.

Spent more time out on deck this afternoon, identified kelp geese (male white, female blackish) and passed a small, bare islet with a bunch of South America sea lions. I hope I don't burn out on nature viewing. Shows and another hosted table planned for this evening.

• Like 4

Whogo, Like you I really prefer having breakfast in the Main Dining Room (The Restaurant) and lunch there as well, when it is open.  On a 23 day cruise (Kobe to Vancouver) last year, we dined in the Colonnade exactly twice--once on the first day for lunch and another time for dinner.  Sadly, the MDR has limited hours for breakfast (when it is open at all).  My husband has already warned me that he is not willing to get up early to have breakfast there.  I did dine alone some mornings.  It's worth it.  We did have poor service a couple of mornings at breakfast---it all depended on where we sat and sometimes only one side of the dining room was open.  

Edited by SLSD

On 1/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, MJN1 said:

whogo,

some suggestions re food and pillows:

ask for the Sundae with double ice cream and the whipped cream only on the side. Then add to your liking.

They do serve the caviar pure and without any condiments if you ask also.

The room stewardess is also very good at removing unwanted pillows from your suite!

Maybe not a standard HAL service, but available on SB...😘

I think our stewardess on the Encore last Autumn must have been new. We told her we only needed two pillows. Her solution was to take the dressing table stool into the walk-in-wardrobe and store the remaining four pillows on it!  I rerturned the stool to its rightful place and the pillows remained in a corner of the closet. Perhaps they were short of storage space.

35 minutes ago, Heather White said:

I think our stewardess on the Encore last Autumn must have been new. We told her we only needed two pillows. Her solution was to take the dressing table stool into the walk-in-wardrobe and store the remaining four pillows on it!  I rerturned the stool to its rightful place and the pillows remained in a corner of the closet. Perhaps they were short of storage space.

I have to say that over the years our various stewardess have done their best. My husband finds duvets too hot so we request a queen/king bed blanket which sometimes is difficult. Most stewardesses have been very effective but some have tried their best but have come up with interesting ideas. As a retired nurse it just makes me appreciate the more pragmatic ones 🙂. The other ideas we put down as an adventure.

Julie

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1