Mariner - snacks for a finicky 3 year old

Sailing on Mariner this spring and my brother's son, who's almost 4, has entered a phase where he doesn't want to eat almost everything.  He ate all kinds of stuff when he was younger, but now, will throw just about anything you try to feed him on the floor.  Specifically, he'll eat only the following :

Potato chips

Crackers

Cookies

Chocolate Milk

And that's pretty much it.  My sister-in-law is concerned that they may have trouble finding these specific items on board, can anyone who's sailed recently or maybe anyone who's sailed RCL with a toddler with a similar issue let me know of these specific items are available on board and where/when?  Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Sailing on Mariner this spring and my brother's son, who's almost 4, has entered a phase where he doesn't want to eat almost everything.  He ate all kinds of stuff when he was younger, but now, will throw just about anything you try to feed him on the floor.  Specifically, he'll eat only the following :

Potato chips

Crackers

Cookies

Chocolate Milk

And that's pretty much it.  My sister-in-law is concerned that they may have trouble finding these specific items on board, can anyone who's sailed recently or maybe anyone who's sailed RCL with a toddler with a similar issue let me know of these specific items are available on board and where/when?  Thanks in advance.

Chocolate milk should be available in both MDR and WJ. 

If he is picky, is he picky about WHICH cookies he will eat?  There are lots of cookies on the Mariner. 

Chips & crackers - take your own. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Chocolate milk should be available in both MDR and WJ. 

If he is picky, is he picky about WHICH cookies he will eat?  There are lots of cookies on the Mariner. 

Chips & crackers - take your own. 

I'm truly not sure what cookies he will or won't eat, but I'll ask.  Will they let you bring stuff like chips and crackers on board?  If so, that might be half the battle right there.

6 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

I know its a touchy subject but if she's really concerned now is a good time (pre cruise) to try and break that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Windjammer will be his place.. cookies will be around the ship .. milk will be available mainly during breakfast and lunch but would suspect Main dinning room staff will accommodate 

My bro might be able to grab a few chocolate milks at breakfast and stick them in the in-cabin cooler to last the day too....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

There are definitely chips at lunch in the windjammer and I've even grabbed a few to take back to my room ... no problem at all

I've seen bags of chips at Park Cafe, but I've not seen them in Windjammer.  Unless of course you are referring to British chips.

• Like 3

Just now, Host Clarea said:

I've seen bags of chips at Park Cafe, but I've not seen them in Windjammer.  Unless of course you are referring to British chips.

No those are bake potatoes 😄  thought they were in a basket ... maybe I'm thinking Park Cafe like  you mentioned 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Does Cafe Promenade have bags of chips?  I never looked but kind of assumed they would.

• Like 1

No issues bringing sealed packages of crackers and such. Most ports will allow factory sealed items as well, but always check into what is allowed where you are going. 

I have a picky kid that also has some medical restrictions so we always travel with at least some food. She's not gone hungry on a cruise, if she can't find enough at dinner we can usuallly find something she'll eat in the Windjammer. 

• Like 1

Regarding the chips on mariner, we sometimes find them in the solarium café.    

They were a very limited variety, and sometimes only the salt and vinegar is available.  They  also seem to run out very quickly.

Op -I would suggest bringing some packages of his favorite chips or snacks. 

I know that many people tell you the snacks have to be factory sealed, but we have brought Ziploc bags of pretzels, nuts, and some licorice with no problem.  I’m sure that sounds like a strange combination, but that is usually what is left over from our drive to port.   

I never bring fruit on board, I assume it is not allowed and in any case, there is playing on the ship. 

M

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Regarding the chips on mariner, we sometimes find them in the solarium café.    

They were a very limited variety, and sometimes only the salt and vinegar is available.  They  also seem to run out very quickly.

Op -I would suggest bringing some packages of his favorite chips or snacks. 

I know that many people tell you the snacks have to be factory sealed, but we have brought Ziploc bags of pretzels, nuts, and some licorice with no problem.  I’m sure that sounds like a strange combination, but that is usually what is left over from our drive to port.   

I never bring fruit on board, I assume it is not allowed and in any case, there is playing on the ship. 

M

I don't think I have ever seen anything get confiscated while boarding the ship at the point of embarkation. Where I have seen things being confiscated is getting off the ship at ports of call.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

You can bring ANY pre-packaged foods you'd like to...just to be sure he has what he needs.  Another solution is allowing him to become HUNGRY...he will eat if he's hungry enough!

You'd think, right?  Amazingly, it doesn't work.  the kid's like a GD camel or something, he will goes days without eating.  They've had to give him Pediasure on the doctor's recommendations just to make sure he isn't malnourished.  For whatever reason, he'll drink that.

• Haha 1

Mom of 2 here...

i dotn envy these parents - but I remember surviving these stages with the thought that it takes weeks to starve a child and they will eventually eat...of course - on vacation waiting them out and dealing with the Hangry kid isn’t always ideal!!

i assume that the child will eat actual food at meals and not just snacks...but our go to plans are:

- we pack pringles, goldfish, granola bars, peanut butter crackers  (so no problem bringing stuff on board!!)

- we take advantage of dry cereal boxes and saltine or oyster crackers from the ship (WJ, PC, MDR etc) and of course cookies and ice cream!! 

I bring ziploc bags and glad containers with us to hold goodies in our room etc. 

Bottom line - recommend your bro pack some food but also look around as he is bound to find something.   I also think that the child being out of his element might handle their ‘not’ being any chips better than if he were on land.   Kids can surprise us in these situations especially when they are all about control and not about actual like/dislike! 

Lastly - have the room attendant fill the ice bucket all the time to store milk cartons - don’t store it in the cooler as it’s not likely cold enough. 

• Like 1