Tipping in the specialty restaurants - do you?

snowglobe

Hello,

We had a wonderful dinner in Aqualina last night (Journey), and our excellent waiter was Victor.

After the meal, we were presented with a bill that had a tip line. We did leave a tip as we were very pleased with our dinner and the service.

Is it customary / expected to tip in the specialty restaurants, Aqualina & Prime C, or for the Chef’s Dinner?

How much do you leave?

As newbies to Azamara, we would love some guidance regarding this - thanks!

Absolutely no need to tip on Azamara, the best way to reward the crew is to contribute  to the crew fund which is always appreciated

A more appreciated way of recognising good service is to mention the crew members name on both the mid and post cruise surveys. .

I have always thought the tip line on the speciality bills is a ‘Feature’ of the accounting system they use which has not been relevant for a long time.   Similarly I cannot understand why some people insist tipping bar tenders etc at the beginning of cruises on Azamara expecting better service during the cruise when excellent service is always the norm, especially as it is not expected or required. 

I suspect this may open a can of worms!

Edited by Azamarajunkie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

$5 every time for me, but your choice. 

Phil 

Same here but only when the service merits it. Do not tip anywhere else but always make a donation to the crew fund. Far far fairer way to reward across the board. Couldn’t not do that but it’s each to their own and nothing is required or expected. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

I go $5 per person = $10 per couple.  I always feel as if the service is much better than you get in an MDR.  

My only question here is whether all employees share in gratuities equally.  If they do, then I suppose it's worthless to tip, unless you pay cash.  I will bring regular cash on my next Azamara cruise just to make sure my waiter gets what is intended for him or her.

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Thanks 1

We tip $5/person in Prime C or Aqualina if we think the service justifies it, and it normally does.  We also donate to the crew fund on every cruise.  As uktog says, it’s the best way to look after all the people behind the scenes who make our cruises special.  And of course we name names on the survey and the Journey So Far notes.

• Like 1

We always tip $10.00 per couple in Aqualina and Prime C.  We were told by the wait staff we know well that they do NOY have to share these extra tips.  We always feel that they go above and beyond for us.  We, of course always name individuals on the surverys also

• Like 2

I typically tip liberally ( but small amounts) at all venues on Azamara.  Yes I am from the US, but I always appreciate the good service I get.

I have not heard of the Crew Fund.  Does anyone have details on how we can do this.  Is it really preferred by the crew to individual tipping?

2 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

We always tip $10.00 per couple in Aqualina and Prime C.  We were told by the wait staff we know well that they do NOY have to share these extra tips.  We always feel that they go above and beyond for us.  We, of course always name individuals on the surverys also

Thank you very much for answering my question.  I never thought about it until I saw this thread.  I would rather charge it my folio than bring along a lot $10 bills because we dine in the specialties often.  

Also good to know that most feel the $10 is standard for the great service we get in these restaurants.  

I didn't know about a "crew fund" and nobody brought it to our attention, so we only tip people who provide extra personal service, in the room, in the spa, or gym (and specialties).  

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We don’t tip in the speciality restaurants, or indeed anywhere on Azamara. We take the view that we’ve already paid tips in the cruise fare - but we are ‘brits’ and in our culture tipping is much less commonplace than in the US.

This Brit usually tips in restaurants, I believe our culture has changed considerably over the years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sabbo55 said:

I typically tip liberally ( but small amounts) at all venues on Azamara.  Yes I am from the US, but I always appreciate the good service I get.

I have not heard of the Crew Fund.  Does anyone have details on how we can do this.  Is it really preferred by the crew to individual tipping?

You make your donation via guest relations. It’s not a matter of preference it’s about sharing. The fund is used to pay for crew excursions, parties, dvds and equipment for their mess, prizes for their bingo etc. I prefer to place most of my tips there because yes the waiter may be very attentive but behind him or her are unseen chefs, pot washers, laundry staff etc all of whom contributed to that meal and the ambience. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, sabbo55 said:

You can contribute to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Guest Services Desk, if you want to. You just tell them that’s what you want to do, and they will make out a slip for you to write the amount and sign it.  It can come out of your on-board account, or you can use cash if you prefer.

The Crew Welfare Fund is used for the good of the entire crew.  As I understand it, it goes for things like cinema nights, parties, excursions and other fun activities.  It seems to us like a good way to recognise everyone, including the people behind the scenes, like those who clean the public loos, or polish the handrails, or peel the potatoes, and make our cruise nicer.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

You make your donation via guest relations. It’s not a matter of preference it’s about sharing. The fund is used to pay for crew excursions, parties, dvds and equipment for their mess, prizes for their bingo etc. I prefer to place most of my tips there because yes the waiter may be very attentive but behind him or her are unseen chefs, pot washers, laundry staff etc all of whom contributed to that meal and the ambience. 

Snap!  Well said.  You posted while I was still composing.  I’m a bit slow.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

This Brit usually tips in restaurants, I believe our culture has changed considerably over the years.

Yes, we tip in restaurants, provided the service has been good and service is not included in the bill, but Azamara is described as ‘gratuities included’ which means that you’ve paid tips in your fare.

Culture in the UK has changed, but hasn’t gone as far as the US where serving staff get cross if you don’t tip - probably because they don’t have the same minimum wage legislation that we have.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Culture in the UK has changed, but hasn’t gone as far as the US where serving staff get cross if you don’t tip - probably because they don’t have the same minimum wage legislation that we have.

You nailed it, US servers are paid a minimum wage and count on gratuities as part of their income. They often have to tip out the bussers and kitchen staff as well. 

I do think tipping has in some cases become “expected” and not earned by good service.

That being said, we do tip additional on Azamara for specialty dining, especially if we are in a suite and there is no added charge

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. We felt so spoiled by Victor, that we really wanted to leave him a tip. I’m glad for the reassurance that the the person mentioned on the bill gets the entire tip that they earned. I’ll also keep in mind the Crew Fund - it seems like a great way to divert unspent OBC to.

2 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Thank you everyone. We felt so spoiled by Victor, that we really wanted to leave him a tip. I’m glad for the reassurance that the the person mentioned on the bill gets the entire tip that they earned. I’ll also keep in mind the Crew Fund - it seems like a great way to divert unspent OBC to.

Unfortunately I don’t think you can put OBC in the crew fund.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Unfortunately I believe you are right.

It is something that could be changed, although I don't see it happening any time soon, as the bean counters want all that "free money" back in their coffers via excursions, spa or shops. 🙃

19 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Good to know right now, as we’re at the beginning of our b2b, thank you so much.
I checked my shipboard account yesterday and the tip went against my OBC balance. So I will leave tips each time the service warrants. Had another wonderful waiter in Windows yesterday during the Indian buffet: Ajeet. Up to now though, service in Discoveries and The Patio  has been hit & miss.

This time we got the Premium beverage package, and the next segment the Ultimate package. We will be upgrading today for $6.95 a day for the Ultimate (from Premium), as I’m running about $15 a day for unincluded drinks in the evening - just one glass of a dessert wine (Tokaji) or a liqueur we like after dinner is enough to be worth the upgrade, in our case.

The first night we lucked into an included red for DH and a white for myself that we like. Although never mentioned, nor on the wine list, we’ve been able to get it at each dinner, not matter the venue - we’re quite happy with that!

Edited by snowglobe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snowglobe said:

The first night we lucked into an included red for DH and a white for myself that we like. Although never mentioned, nor on the wine list, we’ve been able to get it at each dinner, not matter the venue - we’re quite happy with that!

Great to know you can still ask for previous days wine and get it.

5 hours ago, snowglobe said:

Good to know right now, as we’re at the beginning of our b2b, thank you so much.
I checked my shipboard account yesterday and the tip went against my OBC balance. So I will leave tips each time the service warrants. Had another wonderful waiter in Windows yesterday during the Indian buffet: Ajeet. Up to now though, service in Discoveries and The Patio  has been hit & miss.

This time we got the Premium beverage package, and the next segment the Ultimate package. We will be upgrading today for $6.95 a day for the Ultimate (from Premium), as I’m running about $15 a day for unincluded drinks in the evening - just one glass of a dessert wine (Tokaji) or a liqueur we like after dinner is enough to be worth the upgrade, in our case.

yes, that is something we really like.  Once we find the red that we like we order it every night.  They are happy to bring it.