Coco Beach Club on Cococay

We had some OBC burning a hole in our cruise planner, so booked the Beach Club for our early May stop there.  It was about $50/person the day we booked.  We were part of the lucky ones who got the drink package at $18/day/person.

Looking forward to the reviews. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loose Buoy said:

The over the water cabanas for our December cruise on the Anthem are currently priced at $4,000 each. 3 1/2 weeks ago they were priced at $1,700.

Wow. I thought we had found their max price at 2k for spring break. 

44 minutes ago, Loose Buoy said:

Cococay was a much better destination before RCI corporate decided they need more money.

We can honestly say this will be our last trip there. 

It's a sad day when a cabana, for 8 hours, cost more than the total cost of the cruise.

Take a look at the photo again. See the cabana's on the beach. They are priced at $2,000 for our December cruise.

The walkway from shore to the over the water cabana's blocks pretty much everything.

There is nowhere to swim from the beach. It's disgusting. Imagine what it will look like at low tide.

Keep in mind there is still a breakwater that still needs to be built off to the right of the last over the water cabana.

In my opinion, RCI made a bad decision.

Thank you A&L_Ont for the photo. Much appreciated 

Every cruise you go on is your choice.  Just like the booking of the cabana.  I would never pay the price, but if RCCL marketing says someone will, and if those cabana's are sold for the day, how would it be a bad decision for RCCL?  Short cruises are filled with families.....lots of kids.  Build entertainment for them, that increases profit for who?  RCCL again, so how is it bad?  When I was a kid, I went to the NJ beaches.  They have a boardwalk, filled with food, games, arcades, and rides including water slides.  Plus the beach.  The beaches were packed.  Kids had fun.  So this is no different.  Everyone has an opinion if they like it or not, but at the end of the day, this is what families want.  Fun, sunshine, and entertainment. 

The free beach still exists, just like the island buffet.  No one needs to spend an extra dime, and honestly, everyone should be happy.  (or just don't pick that cruise).

• Like 4

On 1/23/2020 at 8:15 AM, A&L_Ont said:

This pic was from yesterday. Things are moving, but quick enough?  Time will tell. 

DD3D407F-4663-4D42-8302-8F2C08EC7358.thumb.jpeg.22709c6a89c2db636e2d461537b9a499.jpeg

I hope that one overwater cabana on the near side of the walkway is the check-in desk. I cannot imagine anyone paying $4000 to be sideways with a dock between you and the open sea.  

Of course, since we reserved one before they skyrocketed, that is probably the one we will get 🙂

12 minutes ago, cured said:

I hope that one overwater cabana on the near side of the walkway is the check-in desk. I cannot imagine anyone paying $4000 to be sideways with a dock between you and the open sea.  

Of course, since we reserved one before they skyrocketed, that is probably the one we will get 🙂

That's probably the attendant / gatekeeper. It doesn't look like it's the same dimensions. There are still a couple that appear to be less desirable. Like the third one from the right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowglobe said:

Is it still opening on schedule for Jan. 31st?

Barring any weather issues, it should be open on Jan 31st. There's someone on a forum that's currently on a cruise that reserved an overwater cabana for the 31st. He's already been assigned which cabana and they are assuring him that they will be open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Loose Buoy said:

Have a wonderful day 😉

Today has been a little better than most and thank you.

I only called it out (target market) because it really is simple economics.  CocoCay can have 3 vessels there at once....or roughly 8-10k people many of whom would all LOVE to be in the newest/latest/greatest Cabanas with butler service and full lunch served to you.  There are 8 of them (maybe 9) on the whole island.   Demand far outstrips the supply....so the price can be increased.

When there is only 1 ship there (like Grandeur) it was $1199 when I booked it....that's 2k people I am competing against if I want to reserve one.

When there are 2 ships there (like Anthem and an Oasis) it was $3999....and that's will 6-7k people I am competing against if I want to reserve one.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

Today has been a little better than most and thank you.

I only called it out (target market) because it really is simple economics.  CocoCay can have 3 vessels there at once....or roughly 8-10k people many of whom would all LOVE to be in the newest/latest/greatest Cabanas with butler service and full lunch served to you.  There are 8 of them (maybe 9) on the whole island.   Demand far outstrips the supply....so the price can be increased.

I think there are (will be) twenty. Two sets of ten. Not that it changes the ratios much. 

12 hours ago, Loose Buoy said:

Cococay was a much better destination before RCI corporate decided they need more money.

I completely disagree.  

I've been to old Coco and new Coco, and I much prefer the new one.  

I also didn't spend a dime on the island -- I used my non-alcoholic drinks package and the free/included food options.  

The big difference was that there were ample loungers AND ample shade on all of the free beach areas.  There was a bit less shade around the pool, but I was actually in the pool rather than around it, so I just found shade in the pool instead.  When lounging on the beach, I easily found a shaded lounger and lounged my butt in it happily.

We also now have the option of the big walk-around pool -- totally free -- that we didn't have on old Coco.  

Additionally, the buffet area is much larger, with lots of shaded areas to eat, and with handwashing stations and beverage stations and even soft-serve ice cream.  

All of those things are INCLUDED -- no extra charge at all, regardless of whether you have a suite or not.  

If you WANT to do the water slide or the balloon or the zipline or a cabana or beach club or whatever, you have that option of paying for it.  But for someone like me who is only looking for a cheap and easy beach day, the new Coco Cay is a huge improvement over the old one.  

• Like 2

Side note -- I like that Royal has found other ways to create revenue besides just increasing the cruise fare.  That keeps the cruise itself more affordable for more people.  

Sounds like good news to me -- decreased bookings will keep cruise fares down due to the law of supply and demand... plus, I don't have to worry about ever running into someone so determined to have a lousy time!

I booked mine early for my cruise this May and my cruise in Dec so the over the water cabanas were only $1400. $4,000 now? Wow! I looked a few days ago, my December cruise is $2,000 now so I wonder if $4,000 was for the Christmas week cruise where everything seems to be more expensive.

I am glad they made so much progress. When I was there last month, I didn't think they would finish it on time.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:08 AM, barb65 said:

We booked this for our February cruise on Symphony. At the time we booked, it was around $60. From what I understand, if you have the Ultimate Beverage package, it is included at Coco Cay. Since it also included the buffet, we felt it was worth the $.

The price on the RC website is $199!!  Is this the same beach bed?

3 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

I believe this poster was referring to the Coco Cay Beach Club day pass and not the beach bed.

You are correct!  I responded to the wrong post because I am looking for information on the Beach beds to see what is included and if it is worth it!  I can't figure out how to delete my response 😞

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 5:33 AM, Loose Buoy said:

It's a sad day when a cabana, for 8 hours, cost more than the total cost of the cruise.

People have different ways of cruising. We choose to cruise less but go all out when we cruise.  Our next cruise we have 2 cabins for us and the kids, both suites.  Some people like to cruise more often and not spend as much so they can fit more cruises in. Neither way is wrong.

We got the overwater cabana for $1,600.  Since it holds 8 people with passes into the Beach Club, that is only $200 per person.   We have paid that for excursions before, so it seems pretty reasonable.  

I like that we have the option to purchase if we want to. We are still undecided if we are going to keep it, waiting for reviews. But otherwise there are plenty of free options where we won't have to spend a dime.

• Like 3

I have been to Coco Cay before it was "remodeled".  I will be there in late April.  I can honestly say I think my family and I are really going to enjoy the new version.  My adult children will be doing the water park.  My best friend and I have Coco Beach Club reserved. I can't wait to hear more about the Beach Club area as it develops and gets finished!

• Like 1

We also have the Beach Club reserved for 2 cruises in November. (back2back) for the Odyssey Inaugural sailing.  I'm also anxiously waiting on reviews to decide if I will cancel or not.  I booked as I thought the price would only go up, so we'll see.  I can always rebook if the price goes down.  Anyone going soon, please post your thoughts.