Coronavirus

Trend

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

Sorry to hear that John.
I’m sure your river cruise company will be reassessing the Wuhan visit. I think from a medical point of view, any travel there in March would still be ill advised.  As for China as a whole....well it’s probably too soon to judge that, but maybe you should have a Plan B in mind just in case? 

Thanks Lottie, we are in limbo really, too soon to decide

3 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Given the Foreign Office is now advising against all but essential travel to China, I guess your cruise may well be cancelled. Even if it’s not you should be able to cancel & get your money back or buy an alternative.

I think you are most probably correct, it would be nice to get a definitive answer soon

I might Just pipe in here on the Virus and our Cape Town to Dubai cruise in a couple of weeks.

It was a few years ago when in Zimbabwe when Ebola was raging 1000's of miles away.

The 5 star resort on the Zambesi was fully booked.  In a matter of one month all the American guests cancelled.

A resort luxury resort was empty other than seriously one other couple.

Fast track to today.  

Are our more senior guests on this cruise similarly due to age and immune issues feeling it is better to stay at home to ride out this virus and travel yet another day.

I was offered by Azamara a opportunity to Bid for an upgrade, I know this is standard on sailings where cabins were available, but due to this virus, this is very reminiscent of Ebola.

Will many be cancelling ?  Will better upgrades at lesser costs be available ?

One of our destinations is Colombo Sri Lanka and the Corona virus is now there too.

This is one interesting time and how this effects the travel/ Cruise/ Azamara Line.

Long Time Cruiser, mainly on Oceania, my first Azamara, but have sailed on most every line, multiple times.

I got caught up in the itinerary as this was the same track as Oceania I was booked on a number of years where the ship blew up in Barbados and my cruise got cancelled.

Right now I am holding out for a cabin upgrade and a number of elderly bailing on the cruise and rightly so.  Just my thoughts

23 hours ago, Canadian World Travellers said:

One of our destinations is Colombo Sri Lanka and the Corona virus is now there too.

Right now I am holding out for a cabin upgrade and a number of elderly bailing on the cruise and rightly so.  Just my thoughts

Don’t know if we are on the same cruise, but we are due to go to Sri Lanka too and definitely won’t be cancelling, so unless the whole cruise is cancelled due to a major world increase of disease and spread, we will be there. 

The World Health Organisation has declared the virus a global health emergency.

I thought it might be a bigger problem than announced when Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gave $10 million to China and Africa to help manage the situation.

People need to be alert.  Passengers on a flight from Cairns, North Queensland (a tourist hub), reported an obviously ill Chinese passenger and the airline had the passenger removed from the flight.  

We are closely monitoring global developments regarding the coronavirus, and we are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew. 

After consultation with CDC, WHO and other public health authorities, we are implementing several measures to protect guests and crew.

Guests with questions may contact the call center or visit: 

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/48/coronavirus-update/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Thank you Bonnie, just wondering how this information is being relayed to passengers who may not be on cruise critic, especially those who may have flights in/ out if China in the next few months? 

Guests will soon be notified in writing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Sorry. I haven’t made myself clear.  I know how you test for oximetry.  How will the company define who needs testing?  I didn’t think the criteria made this part clear:-  

1. Any guest presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screening will be denied boarding.

How do you know/definesomeone has low blood oximetry when they are boarding?  

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

Sorry. I haven’t made myself clear.  I know how you test for oximetry.  How will the company define who needs testing?  I didn’t think the criteria made this part clear:-  

1. Any guest presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screening will be denied boarding.

How do you know/definesomeone has low blood oximetry when they are boarding?  

"Any guest presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screening will be denied boarding."

I imagine as part of the specialized health screening mentioned in the article all passengers will be screened for fever as has been done in many airports during similar outbreaks and there will be a pulse oximeter available to check oxygen saturation of those showing signs of fever.

Thinking further , it may be worthwhile for anyone with a chronic lung condition to have a letter from their doctor including regular oxygen saturation levels over a period of many months, as their "normal" readings may be lower than those of a completely healthy person.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2020 at 5:25 AM, BBMacLaird said:

We are closely monitoring global developments regarding the coronavirus, and we are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew. 

After consultation with CDC, WHO and other public health authorities, we are implementing several measures to protect guests and crew.

Guests with questions may contact the call center or visit: 

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/48/coronavirus-update/

Q for Bonnie:

The Journey will be embarking almost a ship full of new passengers in Auckland NZ on Feb. 8th. Some of the Canadian, US, UK and European passengers will have flown through Hong Kong or China to get here ahead of the cruise, having made their own flight arrangements.

How will Azamara screen for those? A form to fill and sign? Or just a verbal question to self-declare?

Edited by snowglobe

17 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Q for Bonnie:

The Journey will be embarking almost a ship full of new passengers in Auckland NZ on Feb. 8th. Some of the Canadian, US, UK and European passengers will have flown through Hong Kong or China to get here ahead of the cruise, having made their own flight arrangements.

How will Azamara screen for those? A form to fill and sign? Or just a verbal question to self-declare?

Hi Snowglobe, 

The corporate website (URL above) is updated daily. That’s the best place to find the most up -to - date information. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowglobe said:

Q for Bonnie:

Don’t worry they won’t have even got into New Zealand 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Don’t worry they won’t have even got into New Zealand 

Not necessarily.
On this Feb. 8 NZ itinerary, I know of at least a few who were planning to arrive  several days ahead of time of their cruise departure and would have arrived before the application of the very recent strict entry conditions currently implemented.

10 hours ago, snowglobe said:

Not necessarily.
On this Feb. 8 NZ itinerary, I know of at least a few who were planning to arrive  several days ahead of time of their cruise departure and would have arrived before the application of the very recent strict entry conditions currently implemented.

I don’t think they’ll get on the ship. The RCCL website says that anyone who has flown via mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the last 15 days will be denied boarding. If they arrived before that then they should be clear as that’s longer than the 14 days that the virus takes to show itself.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

7 hours ago, snowglobe said:

Not necessarily.

Even then NZ authorities know a lot about you. You actually don’t need to ask people how they arrived, they know from the airlines. 
You are panicking unnecessarily, the measures are there and will be implemented. No need to know more! You 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I don’t think they’ll get on the ship. The RCCL website says that anyone who has flown via mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the last 15 days will be denied boarding. If they arrived before that then they should be clear as that’s longer than the 14 days that the virus takes to show itself.

The NZ rules came in on 2nd. 
The authorities at the port can check everyone’s entry date and call up how they arrived if required. There’s a risk a small group arriving late January might still be incubating it but that’s the people whose travel path will be closely checked I am sure. 

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising