RCI STILL cannot deal with Name Suffix

SRF

I am sure this will get merged into the Website Pain thread, but I could not find it.

So, I am a Junior.  My booking has my Jr.   My C&A account, seems to NOT have it.

So, if I try to do online checkin, and add my C&A number, it tells me the number is incorrect.  Even though it accepts my name and number for the booking.

I called yesterday, and told me, "Jr is no problem."  They put in my number, and it still would not proceed.  So they told me to wait 24 hours and try again.

24 hours later, NOPE, still does not work.  Call, and they try several things, and the final answer, don't put in the C&A number.  But since they put it in, I could not take it out.  So, they take it out and tell me to refresh the page.  But it does not load.  So after logging out and back in for the 5th time, it finally worked.

Will this company EVER get someone in charge of their website that has SOME CLUE??????????

1 minute ago, compman9 said:

If you don't mind my asking, what is a Junior?

Mr, Mrs, Sir, Lord, Dr, etc., but I have never heard of Junior as a suffix

All of the honoraries you have listed are prefixes. Junior means the same name as the father, it could be the second or Junior. For instance, father is Walter White Senior and Don Is Walter White Junior.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Will this company EVER get someone in charge of their website that has SOME CLUE??????????

Why are you blaming it on RCI?  It's not their fault that your parents named you Jr.  😛  

My Dad has a similar issue.  He goes by first initial + middle name.  Some places allow F. Middle, some F Middle, and some neither so it becomes Fmiddle.  And of course reservations and C&A have different input rules.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SRF said:

I am sure this will get merged into the Website Pain thread, but I could not find it.

So, I am a Junior.  My booking has my Jr.   My C&A account, seems to NOT have it.

So, if I try to do online checkin, and add my C&A number, it tells me the number is incorrect.  Even though it accepts my name and number for the booking.

I called yesterday, and told me, "Jr is no problem."  They put in my number, and it still would not proceed.  So they told me to wait 24 hours and try again.

24 hours later, NOPE, still does not work.  Call, and they try several things, and the final answer, don't put in the C&A number.  But since they put it in, I could not take it out.  So, they take it out and tell me to refresh the page.  But it does not load.  So after logging out and back in for the 5th time, it finally worked.

I can't exactly explain why the 24 hour wait didn't work.

However in regards to the second call.  Were the refreshes done within 5 or 10 minutes.  If so, you might have experienced a database data transfer lag time.  Different systems may be using different databases and they transfer pertinent updated data information between the different databases.  This may not be an instantaneous process. While the person you were talking may have made a change, it may take time for the change to replicate to the database that the Webpage is using.

There is a trade off between database performance, cost, data transfer speeds etc.

This is actually a CIO issue and not a website chief issue.  Corporations consider IT as a cost center, even though the corporation would cease to exit without the IT infrastructure.  So they are constantly looking at cutting costs in IT departments

15 hours ago, SRF said:

Same thing happens to me with a hyphenated last name. Drives me bonkers because my C&A and all past itineraries i've used [lastnamelastname] no space, but when I booked over the phone for this cruise coming up they put a space [lastname lastname] so now its different.

Told me to wait 24 hours for them to change it, it never updated, but my set sail pass still has my C&A number/status on it so hope its no issue. 

16 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Why are you blaming it on RCI?  It's not their fault that your parents named you Jr.  😛  

My Dad has a similar issue.  He goes by first initial + middle name.  Some places allow F. Middle, some F Middle, and some neither so it becomes Fmiddle.  And of course reservations and C&A have different input rules.

There's a difference between "goes by" and what the legal name is.

My bookings are made as per passport with first name Susan. When I signed up for c&a I put Sue.  So system doesn't recognise my number against my name and couldn't add the C&A number to booking. Luckily a quick phone to C&A club sorted it and now my C&A membership reflects correct name of Susan! 

My last name is hyphenated, like so many are today, but Royal Caribbean still can’t handle any of these names.  In all fairness, it’s not just RC, but American and United Airlines, and most of the companies I deal with.  How difficult is it to add a hyphen? 

19 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

That is the BIG problem.  Their two systems do not use the same rules.  IIRC, C&A has a suffix field, but reservations does not.  And C&A does NOT allow the suffix in the last name field.    And this has been the case for several years, and they have still not addressed it.

For many years, some airlines had a suffix field, and some did not.  So that everything was the same, I used Smithjr (not my real last name) for all of them (mainly because my work travel agency could not deal with differing names for different carriers).

I'm a III.  I have the same issue, especially with passport / boarding pass / C&A.   As long as my seapass opens up the DL, I'm happy.  I've dealt with the issue for 60 years, so a couple extra minutes doesn't bother me. 

Do red flags go up at Homeland Security when they get the manifest without a Jr, or III or IV?  I've never had an issue, but I wonder....

I just wanted to jump in and empathize - I have a hyphenated name and it’s a royal PITA everywhere!!!   I feel like everyone spent a lot of money trying to get this computer systems updated for Y2K but forgot to modernize for the actual century and still have strict character controls only allowing the 26 letters of the alphabet to be entered!!

29 minutes ago, RocCruisers said:

I'm a III.  I have the same issue, especially with passport / boarding pass / C&A.   As long as my seapass opens up the DL, I'm happy.  I've dealt with the issue for 60 years, so a couple extra minutes doesn't bother me. 

Do red flags go up at Homeland Security when they get the manifest without a Jr, or III or IV?  I've never had an issue, but I wonder....

The problem can be, you may be denied boarding (ship or plane) if your ID and your reservation names do not match.

They don't care if your last name is shown as Smithjr on one and Smith Jr on the other.  But Smith only on one could be an issue.

7 hours ago, RocCruisers said:

Yep, same problem with all the RCL lines.  I'm a third (III) and RCL actually shows me as "Iii". I've tried to fix it for years, but they seem to have the most trouble with the smallest issues.

19 hours ago, mjldvlks said:

RCI seems to take great pride in its IT ineptitude -- it seems to be a core value.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if it were in their mission statement somewhere!

OP, hope it eventually gets worked out.... but definitely not gonna hold my breath!

Well, I had a guarantee room, and my TA got me a better room than originally assigned.

So I went back in to print the new Set Sail pass (plus added The Key), and my C&A number is in the check in screen, my Jr is still there, and it accepted it all.  WOW.

Of course, now the issue is, 2 days before sailing (yesterday), they cannot fix the luggage tags. 😄

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SRF said:

Of course, now the issue is, 2 days before sailing (yesterday), they cannot fix the luggage tags. 😄

Oh, the First World Problems we put up with!  🤣

Let us know how you like The Key... I'm guessing you're not in a suite for this cruise?